New York Blood Center Employee Reviews

not good to work poor management too high expectations benefits poor not much ability to work own own
OB Nurse Supervisor at Cord Blood Site (Former Employee) –  NY NYMay 20, 2018
Low pay not good management Terrible management Terrible pay and benefits No say in how role to be done Very high expectations Terrible orientation at place
Meeting The Needs of The World
Central Supply Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Westbury, NYMay 9, 2018
A typical day at work, involves providing critical supplies for Hospitals, and Donor Centers on an ongoing basis through innovative collection of data, decision making and allocation of assets

Problem solving and analytical skills have been attained here, as well as attention to detail

The workplace is diverse, with employees for all backgrounds and geographic areas

The most difficult part of the job is being sure that collection initiatives and goals are met on a daily basis

This job involves saving lives which is the most important part of why I am still here
Pros
Flexible schedules
Cons
Excessive labor and environment
oh.. the blood center
Donor Specialist (Current Employee) –  Westbury, NYMay 4, 2018
Been herer for 6 years.. I can say some days are better than others, if certain things could be fixed this job would be better than what it is now....
Pros
union position. coworkers becomes family.
Cons
scheduling and hours
exciting
Depot Technician (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAApril 25, 2018
it is a fulfilling job where I have the ability to be able to be part of a process that will help to save a life. This is a rewarding experience that everyone should try
It is very quiet place to work.
Component Technician I (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 23, 2018
It is very quiet place to work. But you need to work constantly. Sometimes micromanagement will suffocate you. Mangers are good tho. They try to help you.
Pros
good insurance coverage
Cons
micromanagement
Great team players and worthy cause
HEALTH ADVOCATE/PUBLIC SPEAKER (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 19, 2018
I am called by the New York Blood Center as they need someone to speak to the media, corporate, or public constituents. This is a great worthy cause.
Pros
Worthy cause
Cons
Low pay
Wonderful Mission - High Turnover
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 8, 2018
The New York Blood Center has a wonderful mission, unfortunately the absence of upper management training hinders their ability to problem-solve operational issues and retain employees.
Pros
Mission, Community Engagement
Cons
High Turnover
Fun Place to do Volunteer Work
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 1, 2018
I would walk inside the location, sign in, and set-up NYBC's signs, and organize the papers that the donors have to fill out. I learned that when people donate blood they should eat a snack and drink water and/or juice. The hardest part of the job was when someone would faint after donating blood. But the best part was definitely seeing how happy all of the donors were after donating blood.
Pros
Free snacks, short hours
Nybc
Volunteer escort (Current Employee) –  Elmsford, NYJanuary 29, 2018
The New York Blood Center is an amazing place to work due to the varieties of people you can work with. The environment is amazing and it is a good learning social experience.
productive
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 28, 2017
I volunteered at the New York Blood Center. It was great ! I had a fun experience helping and engaging people to draw there blood to save some lives. It's a happy environment.

Want to know more about New York Blood Center?

Ask a question
Great job horrible department
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 7, 2017
My previous Boss is as phony as they come. Rona Weinberg. Terrible person. Great company terrible department to work under. Cell therapy lab horrible pay in accordance with industry standards.
Pros
the company is great
Cons
terrible boss
Great Place to Work
Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 22, 2017
I work with a great department. Opportunities to grow and learn. Tuition reimbursement. Decent benefits. Great place to start. Still fairly new to the organization.
Friendly, fast paced, productive environment
Scheduling Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 14, 2017
My typical workday consists of me speaking with patients, set appointments, and/or manage timesheets. I'm responsible for scheduling field techs and nurses. I take calls from patients and hospitals, coordinate daily schedules and do billing coding for all hospitals, billing forms and prepare invoices to be mailed.
Excellent company with great goals and objectives
QC Reference Lab Lead Technologist (Current Employee) –  Long Island City, NYOctober 9, 2017
Excellent company with great employee benefits and friendly environment at all times. Had the opportunity to work under stressful and difficult situations but coworkers always put in extra time and effort and we were able to accomplish our work. I am treated fairly by management and given the flexibility of working hours.
Pros
Plenty of paid vacation time
Cons
Lack of room for academic advancement.
Typical Day
Blood Aphaeresis Specialist (Former Employee) –  Westbury, NYOctober 1, 2017
The set up team would do an excellent job at preparing the site. My colleagues and I would work together to deliver the best possible care to our patients. We would help support each other , step in when need be, and also delegate if we were unable to help. Our days were about 8 hours give or take and we usually stayed after to make sure everything was put away.and ready for next day use.
Pros
Different Locations, working with others, direct patient contact
Cons
Micromanaging.
Work environment is quiet and good co-workers.
Depot Technician (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PASeptember 15, 2017
The hardest part of the job is the low salary being paid for multi-tasking jobs everyday. But NYBC in New York drivers get paid $50,000 dollars and up for the same job I do.
Mild paced atmosphere with the advantage of learning, not just performing.
Research Assistant III (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 15, 2017
Exposure to new lab techniques and the room to learn new procedures is evident. For the most part, the lab position is mild paced except during report submission time. This isn't any 9-5 position, but it still demands for work to be done in a timely manner. I have thoroughly enjoyed my time at this company.
Uneducated management team in Westbury
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Westbury, NYSeptember 5, 2017
I enjoyed working for the blood center but after 6 months probation two days prior management decides to release you from your position for no apparent reason no explanation, possible discrimination because of my higher education compared to others upper management team needs to be revamped immediately
Pros
Cons
Management team shows favoritism and possible discrimination
great job
Donor Specialist (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYAugust 25, 2017
great entry level job to medical field. would recommend it to anyone who even has a slight interest in working in healthcare. that is of course if you aren't shy around needles
Pros
mobile units
Cons
mobile units
A Life in the Day
Perioperative Autotransfusion Technician (Current Employee) –  Elmsford, NYAugust 15, 2017
The job has pros and cons like any other job. They provice transportation, sick time and vacation time. You meet and interact with many people in the health care field. You get to see how several hospitals all over operate.

Cons are you could potentially get stuck working 14hrs with no relief or time for lunch. You are not compensated for your travel time.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at New York Blood Center. Our community is ready to answer.