New York Blood Center Employee Reviews

Good employer
Laboratory Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Westbury, NYMarch 7, 2019
Good opportunity for advancement, excellent employee benefits, concern of management for employees, internal training was excellent , and a very high priority for the company. Varied tasks and responsibilities increase skill set . Training newer employees was on of my favorite responsibilities. Teaching classes was also a favorite one of my regular responsibilities.
Unit Manager - RN, New Brunswick, NJ (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 27, 2018
Travel daily to Blood Drive locations. As custom became I had to leave 2 hours before the drive start time to set up and be ready for the first donor
No Advancement
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Long Island City, NYNovember 14, 2018
Not a lot of room for advancement and the compensation and benefits are not competitive. You can get stuck in the same position for years and not get promoted in most departments.
Cons
No room for advancement
Great place to volunteer
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Elmsford, NYNovember 1, 2018
NY Blood Center is a great place to volunteer at. The staff is very friendly and caring for our blood donors. It is a relaxed, but at times hectic place, and I enjoy my volunteer time there.
Stressfull
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  White Plains, NYOctober 29, 2018
The site that I worked at within the NY Bloodcenter, had the worst job turnover rate within the company. Part of the problem was that it was micromanaged.
Cons
Vacation and Healthcare
Laid-back
DEPOT LAB TECHNICIAN (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 19, 2018
Work is kind of slow a lot of down time no room for advancement you can read and study if you were going to school and the pleasant part of the job there is no boss on your shift.
Pros
403 B life insurance, Health insurance
Cons
Good benefits
Great
Clinical Laboratory Technologist (Current Employee) –  Long Island, NYOctober 7, 2018
Its a great opportunity for new starter. Especially right after graduation. Works are very different compare to regular hospitals. As I have said you gained lot of experience in Lab work different than hospital work.
Wonderful Environment
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 13, 2018
This organization gives you a sense of purpose. The mission is clear. The environment and people made it a pleasure. Visits to the precinct and visits to schools made the job worth while.
Good Place for a Good Cause
Tech (Current Employee) –  Long Island City, NYAugust 14, 2018
New York Blood Center is a good place to work. The company mission is to save lives. Not much opportunity for advancement but company more than likely to hire within for promotions.
Interning at the Blood Center
Internship (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYAugust 9, 2018
Interning at the blood center was amazing. I always learned something new. There was always for us to give back to the community with blood donations and blood drives.
Pros
We were provided with lunch and metrocards for the trains
Customer Care
Client Services/ Customer Care (Former Employee) –  Long Island, NYAugust 7, 2018
My position as a customer care representative stared as me being a temp to full time employee. The customer care department was a stressful environment to work in. My co-workers would always call out which meant I had to stay. Both my manager and supervisor use to pin employees against each other so they would be mad and almost fight. It was a toxic work environment.
Pros
Overtime
Cons
Overtime, Short Breaks, Horrible Managers
Overall decent place to work
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 6, 2018
NYBC was a good place for me to start my work as a research technician just having graduated from a biology program.
It was a good experience. I learned a lot about the world of biological research.
Pros
great research, great location
Cons
not the highest pay
not good to work poor management too high expectations benefits poor not much ability to work own own
OB Nurse Supervisor at Cord Blood Site (Former Employee) –  NY NYMay 20, 2018
Low pay not good management Terrible management Terrible pay and benefits No say in how role to be done Very high expectations Terrible orientation at place
Meeting The Needs of The World
Central Supply Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Westbury, NYMay 9, 2018
A typical day at work, involves providing critical supplies for Hospitals, and Donor Centers on an ongoing basis through innovative collection of data, decision making and allocation of assets

Problem solving and analytical skills have been attained here, as well as attention to detail

The workplace is diverse, with employees for all backgrounds and geographic areas

The most difficult part of the job is being sure that collection initiatives and goals are met on a daily basis

This job involves saving lives which is the most important part of why I am still here
Pros
Flexible schedules
Cons
Excessive labor and environment
oh.. the blood center
Donor Specialist (Current Employee) –  Westbury, NYMay 4, 2018
Been herer for 6 years.. I can say some days are better than others, if certain things could be fixed this job would be better than what it is now....
Pros
union position. coworkers becomes family.
Cons
scheduling and hours
exciting
Depot Technician (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAApril 25, 2018
it is a fulfilling job where I have the ability to be able to be part of a process that will help to save a life. This is a rewarding experience that everyone should try
It is very quiet place to work.
Component Technician I (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 23, 2018
It is very quiet place to work. But you need to work constantly. Sometimes micromanagement will suffocate you. Mangers are good tho. They try to help you.
Pros
good insurance coverage
Cons
micromanagement
Great team players and worthy cause
HEALTH ADVOCATE/PUBLIC SPEAKER (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 19, 2018
I am called by the New York Blood Center as they need someone to speak to the media, corporate, or public constituents. This is a great worthy cause.
Pros
Worthy cause
Cons
Low pay
Wonderful Mission - High Turnover
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 8, 2018
The New York Blood Center has a wonderful mission, unfortunately the absence of upper management training hinders their ability to problem-solve operational issues and retain employees.
Pros
Mission, Community Engagement
Cons
High Turnover
Fun Place to do Volunteer Work
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 1, 2018
I would walk inside the location, sign in, and set-up NYBC's signs, and organize the papers that the donors have to fill out. I learned that when people donate blood they should eat a snack and drink water and/or juice. The hardest part of the job was when someone would faint after donating blood. But the best part was definitely seeing how happy all of the donors were after donating blood.
Pros
Free snacks, short hours
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at New York Blood Center. Our community is ready to answer.