New York City Department of Correction Employee Reviews

NYC DOC Correction Officer
Correction Officer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 13, 2019
This was the blessing that me and my wife needed at the time - she was pregnant and DOC was hiring. They provided a GREAT life for me and my family. Medical,Dental,Optical, good salary with raises every year until I retired. I got to learn the criminal justice system from the inside out and I made thousands of life long friends. A lot of us had small children when we started so we got to see them grow into adults together. It was stressful for sure so we generally don't talk about it unless you've been behind those gates you just can't understand! The command staff was absolutely great during my years. I might have run in to a handful of supervisors I didn't approve of but most were great because they had been officers just like us and understood what we were going through. The hardest part of the job is being locked up with inmates all day obviously and never knowing which second things could explode.I as well as many of my coworkers can tell you that after all those years locked up violence - real violence is something we don't like. In the end many of us made it out - of course we lost some of our co workers to life along the way - and we are every some thankful to enjoy the pensions we bled for.
Pros
Cons
It's JAIL - not TV or the Movies
Worked with good people
Captain (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 13, 2019
Not the healthiest of environments to work in. Overtime was mandatory and they were not very accommodating when it came to personal/family matters. Sick leave policy was a joke
Pros
Good benefits
Stressful environment
Corrections Officer (Former Employee) –  Rikers IslandJune 13, 2019
Watch each other's back ....know who you are working with at all times. Keep eyes o po on at all times. Come to work on time. Officers must stick together.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Stressful job
fun great
New york city Corrections K9 Investigator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 5, 2019
start is always and the morning at 6am...work with a good unit, Tuesday to Saturday. Great captain who supervisors us. Work also with my k9tex who is a rockstar
Pros
work with a rock star dog, and a good unite
Cons
bosses that dont know to much about my job as a k9 handler
Deputy Warden of Programs
Deputy Warden of Programs (Current Employee) –  East Elmhurst, NYJune 3, 2019
As a Deputy Warden of Programs I learn something new everyday. The best part of my responsibilities is accepting and exploring the possibilities of making someone happy and smile. I acquired the experience that I can be a problem solver in which I find great fulfillment. I welcome working with a great management team.
Stressful working environment
Correction Officer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 31, 2019
A typical work day involved the care, custody and control of inmates/detainees, learned inter personal communication skills, supervisory skills,CPR,fire response, security skills, while managing the commissary worked directly under management, worked closely with other officers building moral, hardest part of the job was dealing with unruly inmates, best part of the job was when your tour/shift ends and you are able to go home to your family
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Dental and eye plan
Productive and Easy going environment
Timekeeper (Current Employee) –  East Elmhurst, NYMay 18, 2019
Data entry, processing payroll, doing retirement packages. Filing, making copies, corresponding via email and phone with other departments pertaining to payroll. Approving timesheets. Entering Overtime and leaves into city time database.
Pros
Unlimited breaks
Cons
Commute, and sometime having to be around inmates.
Correction
Correction Officer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 17, 2019
Great experience many highs and lows but definitely well worth it. Pay and benefits were great possibly among the best in the country. I highly recommend applying.
Cons
Relief
Tough place to work, high stress and threat level
Correction officer (Former Employee) –  Rikers Island N.YMay 16, 2019
It's a place were you can make alot of money and work your way up from officer to chief or even commissioner if you inspire to. It can be challenging on the family life due to the long work days and overtime, but if you have a strong family dynamic and remain spiritually centered you can be successful.
Pros
Pride, high pay, discounts on car and hotel rentals
Cons
Very challenging, mandatory overtime, and thankless job.
Mostly helps out to pay bills
Correction Officer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 13, 2019
Most of my Co-workers are lazy and do not want to help out when it is needed the most. My female supervisors always want to cause problems when things are going smoothly. My Co-workers make the job more difficult then it needs to be.
Pros
Helps to pay the bills and serves as a great stepping stone
Cons
Co-workers that you have to deal with along with their attitude
Horrible place
checking for Correction Officer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 21, 2019
Is horribleyou are another inmate they have control over your life. You are in jail yourself. You are forced to work overtime wether you want to stay or not.
Pros
Cons
Everything is bad
Unreliable
Correction Officer - RNDC (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYApril 18, 2019
Even when you attempt to do the right thing is is scrutinized under a fine tooth comb. In order for one to protect his /her job, you become an expendable resource. You are only as good as your last good deed.
Pros
Money
Cons
No job security even after probation
very stressful environment
Correction Officer (Former Employee) –  East Elmhurst, NYApril 4, 2019
Long work days. keeping track of each inmate in my area ensuring that they don't have contraband. the captions where not supportive and didn't always have officers best interest at hand.
Pros
great medical coverage
Cons
dangerous work setting
Prodductive
Correction Officer (Former Employee) –  10-10 Hazen Street, Elmhurst, NYApril 1, 2019
Had to work together with my co workers Schedule was excellent, Supervisor was excellent Good benefits and vacation leave time. Enjoy working in the General Office processing jail calculations
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Travel
College aide
College Aide (Former Employee) –  Elmhurst, NYMarch 22, 2019
Working at DOC was always an educational learning experience. I learned multiple tasks in the Division I was assigned to. The Management was fair to their employees. The workplace culture was a different to most places I worked because there were prisoners around. The hardest part of the day was to travel to my car because I had to take an Correction bus to the parking lot. I enjoyed most was learning multiple tasks with in the Procurement department.
tough but rewarding job
Correction Officer-Manhattan Detention Complex (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 19, 2019
management is good at what they do
officers are willing and able to help their fellow coworkers when they need help
alot of overtime and room for advancement
Horrible place to work
Correction Officer (Current Employee) –  Queens, NYMarch 6, 2019
The job has change tremendously for the worst. They are more concerned about these clients than their worker. These clients get all kinds of lawsuits against the city and all they do is payout without properly investigating the situation. They just belittle you as a person and try to take your days. It has become the officers doing time instead of the clients.
Pros
Paycheck
Cons
Dangerous
Very stressful and unproffessional place
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 3, 2019
If you can make around $80000 by working somewhere.. Please do it. Brcause the money is not worth thr stress you go through. The majority of supervisors and management are unproffessional.
A very bad placr to work. 22 year pension is only good if you can live hralthy after that, so please consider you health over money.
Pros
Money after5 years and medical ins
Cons
Unproffessinal. Ghetto. Stressful. No respect. Not enough money until 5 years
Nyc Dept of correction
CORRECTION OFFICER (Former Employee) –  East Elmhurst, NYMarch 1, 2019
Excellent job opportunities to work for the City of New York. Great benefits. Stressful environment. I started the job on October 23, 1997. I finished my service Nov 1, 2017. My job involved care, custody and control of Male inmates in a maximum security jail. I also utilized my extensive knowledge of the penal code to classify and house inmates accordingly
Pros
Execllent salary
Cons
Violent. Dangerous atmosphere
Always on point and alert
Correction Captain (Former Employee) –  Astoria, NYMarch 1, 2019
No day was the same, everyday there was something new to deal with and overcome. This job allowed you to learn how to interact with different cultures and individuals.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Can be a dangerous place to work

Ask a question about working or interviewing at New York City Department of Correction. Our community is ready to answer.