New York City Department of Education Employee Reviews

Found 1,681 reviews matching the search See all 1,689 reviews
productive work place
currently Dean of a miidle school in Brooklyn NY (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJanuary 18, 2019
Currently work for the board of ed for 20 years. Loved my job until this year. New principal and I are not working out. In 20 years Ive never had a problem. no write ups on me.
Pros
students and staff
Cons
new principal
My personal experience so far had not been great.
School Aide (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYJanuary 17, 2019
• Physical stress of carrying heavy items up and down 4 floors
• Strategic racial segregation
• Lack of promotional advancement
• Underpaid, below minimum wage
• Lack of work hours
• Unrealistic expectations
Pros
Weekends and holidays off, no work past 3 P.M.
Cons
Short breaks and short hours, pay below minimum wage and lack of benefits for position, underlying racial segregation, corrupt hierarchy, excessive work load, work load outside of job description, poor supervisory team, unstable environment unrealistic expectations, among many other things.
Great benefits
New York State Certified Assistant Teacher (Former Employee) –  Harlem, NYJanuary 17, 2019
As a paraprofessional you spend most of the day assisting students and teachers. The office staff ensures the school building runs smoothly. Needless to say, if the administration is ineffective the school community suffers.
BILINGUAL PARENT COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  Queens, NYJanuary 17, 2019
There is no typical day, flexibility and adaptability is a must for this position, interpersonal and intrapersonal skills are essential to be a parent coordinator.
benefits
Cons
compensation
productive,
paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJanuary 14, 2019
I learned a lot working with different children and their educational needs, the staff worked together well, but needed more staff sometimes during lunchroom duty/
Everyones expereinces is their own
Community Coordinator/Intervention Specialist (Former Employee) –  NYCJanuary 13, 2019
The DOE was the best and secure job that I had. All school base jobs are tough when youre on the front line but, I wouldnt chanhe my experiences with anyone. I learned, I taught, and I empowered and I feel accomplished for that. My direct supervisors were clueless to the lack of working and learning our students suffered. Overall im please to have had my experiences and comfortable with where my legacy stands.
Substitute Teaching
Substitute Teacher K-12 (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 7, 2019
As a sub, there is no typical day, even if you are assigned to the same school I learned to speak up! Management depends on the school and principal. The culture is friendly among the paraprofessionals. the hardest part of the job is to gain respect from the students. I enjoy working with children.
Pros
You can select assignments
Cons
Disrespect by students.
Substitute teacher does okay
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 7, 2019
First, a lot of the rating I gave were for a substitute teacher that worked on a contract basis. Therefore, things like insurance and vacation don't apply. Calls for subs were regular until reaching the maximum amount of allowed days. If you plan to be a teacher, it's a good job to have while searching.
Pros
Regular work
Cons
Students can be difficult
Workplace Culture
Sr. Technical Program Director, CEO/COO (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 7, 2019
The culture is different per division, some divisions placing different levels of emphasis on solutions delivery versus organizational politics. That may be the same in many organizations, but is most likely more apparent in government institutions.
Productive and welcoming
Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJanuary 7, 2019
The environment is welcoming, collaborative, and full of new learnings. I attended this school which makes it more of goal to keep this institution to it's highest stature.
Educating children
Case/Compliance Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 5, 2019
The mission for educating children is great, but advancement is lacking. Some units select candidates from outside rather than look inwards and use the talent that they already have.
Pros
Advancing the education of children
Cons
Lack of raises, promotions
The education system is a joke.
SUBSTITUTE PARAPROFESSIONAL (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJanuary 3, 2019
The children in New York City public schools are no longer disciplined, leaving you wide open to be assaulted and sometimes worse.

The teacher's union will do nothing but take money out of your check.

The SubCentral and e-mail systems barely if ever work.

There is little to no room for advancement.

You will not get paid enough to live on your own.

Avoid.
Pros
Sometimes you barely do any actual work
Cons
No Work Safety, Awful Union, Awful E-Mail System
Long Days
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJanuary 3, 2019
Even working part time as a Cleaner in the DOE, when you clean 40 rooms per floor the days seem exhausting. I have a great work ethic so I always made sure I got my job done but once I realized I can make the same money serving coffee rather then scrubbing toilets I decided to leave.
Mixed Management
Event Planner (Former Employee) –  2 Lafayette StJanuary 1, 2019
Lots of bureaucracy, but good people. They are very fair and thoughtful at the DOE, and the benefits and job security are great. The facilities are nothing special, and the atmosphere is fairly corporate, but people are warm.
Benefits
Cons
Boring
Good people to work with and adaquate budget
School Custodian Engineer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 31, 2018
A typical day included an inspection of all building and grounds and a review of the night crews work. Management was attentive and helpful as much as they could be. The work place inviorment was always friendly.

The hard part of the job was keeping the sidewalks, parking lots and school yards open during heavy snow falls.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the satisfaction one received when the job was completed.
Pros
Good location to work in.
Cons
Parking was difficult on certain days of the week.
Quick paced but worth it!
School Psychologist (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYDecember 30, 2018
Working for the NYC Department of Education was fulfilling and memorable. It is a hard job but worth helping the wonderful children and families that I met along the way. The staff is caring and we work together to do the best we can.
Pros
Helping children and their families.
Cons
Stressful and very quick paced.
Excellent place for advancement
Teacher of the Speech & Hearing Handicapped (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 29, 2018
Working for the NYC Board Education is a good place to work at. Good pay; excellent hours. Good benefits. Excellent union. Excellent place for advancement.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
stressful
yes attacktive workplace
Teacher Assistant (Current Employee) –  BrooklynNYDecember 24, 2018
The work ina frindly environment so always clear and sanitized and management.we all as a team .children development mind ,focus the company .I think
Pros
if as budget
Cons
Have couple minutes of conversations with teacher about life
Computer/Printer/ Apple machine/ Repair Technician (Current Employee) –  Main Office/available classrooms/December 21, 2018
I'm not employ directly employed by NYC Department of Education. I'm serving NYC school's under contract Company's rate provided earlier was about the company i'm working for.
The most enjoyable part of the job is to be prepare , make sure you know what you are there for. Follow the instructions and make all client happy about your knowledge.
the hardest part is when you facing a device you have never work on, and quick solution is required to put the client back into his business.
Pros
N/a
Cons
N/a
wonderful staff
Substitute Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYDecember 19, 2018
I love working with the DOE it is teaching me a lot and showing me a lot of things within my fields. I have met some wonderful people in my life working with them.The DOE is very family oriented and they care for they staff.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at New York City Department of Education. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

2.9Fairygodboss Score

40%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

78%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss