New York City Department of Education Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Found 1,357 reviews matching the search See all 1,363 reviews
Not so fun place to work.
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYJuly 16, 2018
I have worked for the board of ed as a substitute teacher while finishing my Masters in Education. I have been privilege to work in some great schools and not so great schools. I have recently worked at PS 93 (story ave) where the administration is disorganized and chaotic. I just found out that the school ran out of funding in June but still requested substitute teachers. The subs now have to contact the district or board of education for the money that they earn.
Pros
students that wants to learn.
Cons
Disorganized administration and disrespected students.
NYC DOE is progressive and Inclusive YAY!
ICT 5TH GRADE TEACHER (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 14, 2018
cannot beat their commitment to Professional Development and their adoption of up-to-the-minute educational programs and practices Collaboration is more than encouraged. ommuting to NYC schools is difficult no matter how you go, Urban crowding makes parking for driving teachers a NIGHTMARE
Pros
Porfessional Development, Collaboration
Cons
Parking (seriously)
I loved working for the NYC Department of Education
Teacher (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 14, 2018
I was teaching 4th grade and loved it. I left to raise my son and my daughter was born very soon after him. The principal was very fair and helped to make the work environment a great one!
Pros
salary, benefitsa, administration
Cons
No air condition in my classroom.
I hate teaching
Student Teaching Internship (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYJuly 13, 2018
Students are rude, disrespectful, and annoying. The administration is careless, directionless, and havoc. Parents are rude and don't care about their child's education
Pros
vacation in summer
Cons
low pay, disrespectful students, and no leadership from admin.
Productive work environment where teaching/learning is the goal
Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJuly 10, 2018
A typical day at work in a NYC public school is interesting. You learn patience, time management and how to work with multiple personalities. The classroom can be serious but we make learning fun. The hardest part is behavioral issues with students. As a substitute, for every day not worked you do not get paid.
great team
Special Projects Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Queens Plaza NorthJuly 9, 2018
A typical day at work starts at 9 am and ends at 5 pm. I take my lunch break at 1 pm and it's usually one hour. I learned to work in groups of two or more. Management is great here and the workplace culture is a great example for other companies. The hardest part involves travelling between two different sites. The most enjoyable part is diversity.
Your experience is night and day depending on what you do.
Community Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJuly 7, 2018
Everybody's day varies depending on what role they hold. I have worked as a College Advisor but hired under a different title because I do not hold a school counseling license. I also have worked as a Parent Coordinator and Substitute Teacher. Because of budget constraints, people in small schools wear different hats. Someone hardworking should pace themselves because they will have a lot of other people's work thrown at them and chances of moving up based on the work you do are slim. My advice is to do your own job well, if you are in a non-competitive title, do all that you can to get in a competitive one with salary differentials. That is where your effort and standing out really counts, otherwise you'll just be a slave to the pack of lazy coworkers you'll be working with.
Pros
benefits, days off during the year
Cons
lazy people, poor leadership, shoestring budgets
Education
Teacher - Elementary Pre-K to 5 (Current Employee) –  Staten Island, NYJuly 6, 2018
good job stability. Excellent benefits. Working with kids is always a fun experience. It is an ever changing job and constantly requires PD. The micromanagement of time is difficult when dealing with children.
Pros
Stability! Good benefits
Cons
Becoming too micromanaged
Nyc doe
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJuly 5, 2018
Great place to work, but in today's climate you have to tow the line or hit the road. The benefits are good, but I'm still only a sub so I don't get any benefits or days off as of right now. Once you become hired full time you are compensated well, but NYC is so expensive now the salary is still barely liveable.
Wide range of schools and environments
Teacher of students (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 4, 2018
Your experience really depends on the neighborhood where you work.

I would always recommend working for the NYCDOE over working for a charter school.
Pros
benefits/time off
Cons
class sizes
Diverse commumites with.staff and students
School Aide (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 4, 2018
Must have patience with our youths. Be able to relocate frequently and understand our students and parents with a compassionate heart
Computer savy, proper phone etiquette
Pros
Off during the summer
Good people
Teacher (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 2, 2018
I worked with a lot of nice people and taught a lot of good kids from rough places. But not all of them were nice. It became extremely stressful. The Bronx was a dangerous place from 1985-1988. I had to leave.
NYC Department of Education
Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 2, 2018
Every school culture is not the same. Some of the employees can be clannish. This usually creates the cut-throat environment. It is all about politics to the administrators. They want the school to look good to show what they have done. Stay to yourself is the best advice I can give. This way you do not get involved in any unnecessary gossip or politics. Also, make everything that you do for the best educational experience of the children in your care.
Pros
Decent benefits, semi-monthly pay, paid summers off, paid holidays
Cons
Stressfull
Great benefits
PARAPROFESSIONAL (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJuly 1, 2018
Working for the DOE offers great benefits and medical plans. Great work hours and summers off. Good place to work if you are working on a degree in education.
poor management and horrible working conditions
Custodian (Current Employee) –  Staten Island, NY 10312June 28, 2018
Over my 2 years of working with them I've been taken advantage of and disrepected by my employer and will never work for the board of ed again, I've had nothing but bad experiences.
Pros
Cons
poor work conditions
Hard workers, great purpose.
High School French Teacher (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 27, 2018
The department of education in New York city has high expectations of their professionals. We are required to multi task and keep every member of the community informed on the progress we make on a regular basis.
i enjoy my job very much
Drug Counselor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 27, 2018
in the morning I meet and greet the children, then make rounds to see my clients of the day. all my individual counseling and groups are held in my office . there no hard times because i enjoy working with children and my staff.
Pros
able to work with children and their families
Cons
not able to reach all the families because of missing parents.
Must have patience
Certified Para Professional (Teaching Assistant) (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 25, 2018
Must be able to work with teacher to provide general education or special education instruction to the student. Must have patience and compassion for children.
Pros
great hours
Cons
some children are place in the wrong setting
Challange work places
Mathemnatics/Technology Coach-Teacher (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 22, 2018
Learned classroom management skills, new technology integration, diversity and differentiated instruction, develop students culture, the hardest part was to develop and make students to reach their highest potential within a school year.
Enjoyed the fact that a student develop their on personal skills within a school year. Also seeing students growths physically and mentally.
Interaction with students with the class room, at luch, hallway
History High School Teacher (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 21, 2018
As a whole students begin class at 8:00am and leave 2:20 (eight periods a day). I teach, have counseling sessions with students, parent out reach, and department meeting on various topics 2x a week.Topic include data, student progress lesson planning, placement of students for regents prep. I have 2 prep periods and Lunch time off.
What I have learned from my experience is student learning styles and how to diversify my instruction to fit their needs, Behavioral strategies to cope with student behavioral issue.. Moving seats, counseling, outreach to parents, ect... Professional development classes also give me cutting edge tools to work more efficiently and affectively.
Management of the classes is determined by rules set by the school and class room. Rubrics ( for performance tasks, classwork, presentations, participation, Homework...) are given to students to show how rigorous they are learning.
The hardest part of the job is having to redirect students to focus on the task at hand. Having to see student not achieve the goals set forth by the school and class. seeing students fighting in and around school. Having to correct and redirect student behavior.
The most enjoyable part of teaching is seeing growth of student academically as well as mentally. It is such a joy to see students learn objectives of the lesson, receive high marks, and graduate onto college.
Pros
summer paid vacation, and holidays
Cons
At times, deadlines to meet can be stressful, superentendant visits

Ask a question about working or interviewing at New York City Department of Education. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.6InHerSight Score

2.6Personal Development

3.5Career Opportunities

1.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight