New York City Department of Education Employee Reviews

Found 1,642 reviews matching the search See all 1,650 reviews
Not a friendly place to work.
Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYNovember 18, 2018
I did not like working w/ NYCDOE, it was very bureaucratic and discriminatory towards older employees. The most enjoyable part of the job was working w/ the children. I received immense gratification from helping my students and their families.
Pros
Worrking w/ students.
Cons
very bureaucratic.
Central Worker
Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 18, 2018
If you are looking to feel connected to your work, this is the perfect place.
Although, this organization could be more successful if central employees were not unionized and poor performance was not rewarded. In addition, work is completely siloed, making it challenging to get things done on any reasonable timeline. Also, many work locations are not suitable for a productive working environment. Things are improving, but slowly.
Productive and Fun working environment
Reporting Analyst (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 16, 2018
A great place to work, great staff, conducive and inclusive working environment. I learned how to prioritize tasks, relate with people from different ethnicities and background.
A productive place to work and grow.
Teacher/Tutor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 16, 2018
The purpose of this message is to provide an opinion about what is the hardest part of being a Teacher/Tutor with The NYC Department of Education. The hardest part of the job, in my opinion, is getting a bachelor of science degree to teach STEM subjects.
Substitute Teaching
Per Diem Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 14, 2018
As a subistitute teacher you must be, flexible, because things change from day to day and from school to school. You could cover one grade level for the wohle day, or sometimes just for one periodl.
Kitchen Subtitute (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYNovember 14, 2018
Good environment,, you get to met a lot of good people,hours go fast wen you busy,lots of cleaning,sometimes no help,some girls go to work but don't do they job
Pros
Hours go fast wen you busy
Cons
Lots of cleaning, Sometimes no help
Educational Associate (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYNovember 14, 2018
Busy work days. I learned how to work well with others. Management was supportive. Workplace culture was friendly and supportive. The hardest part of the job was seeing children who were not receiving the services they required outside of school.. The most enjoyable part was seeing children succeed.
Pros
Very rewarding field
Cons
Educators aren't paid what they're worth
Great place to work for parents, you get the same days off as your school age kids.
Substitute-Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 13, 2018
The work schedule for my position was okay but the pay is not suitable for living in New York City. The benefits are good I just wish they offered some kind of help with tuition.
Love/hate relationship with this job!
Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 13, 2018
sometimes it can be difficult working with autistic kids but other times it can bring a smile to your face. the schedule is perfect for anyone and you build great relationships with staff members and students .
Pros
1 hour lunch break.
Cons
sometimes kids can be very rude in certain occasions
Lack of respect of staff members
Literacy Coach,classroom teacher (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 13, 2018
I've worked for the Doe for 30 years. Teaching children was always my number 1 purpose.
Collaboration with colleagues dropped throughout the years due to poor. Administration.
Teachers deserve respect from administrators. We need support and proper supplies to do our work.
I have worked very hard for this organization for more than 26 years.
Pros
Working with others to promote the best practices available.
Cons
Very difficult to remove poor administrators.
Red Tape
Student Teacher, PS (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 12, 2018
I learned when working full school days that part-time education with kids is better for me. Full-time burn-out is real! Part-time, I love it! Usually that means after school. I love it so much.
Nyc doe
NY Special Educational Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 12, 2018
A typical day at work was basically keeping a safe, comfortable and fun learning environment for children. I learned how to use reinforcement of behavior through the use of positive behavior support (PBS), what works for one child might not work with another. Management was supportive especially when helped was needed with a child. The most enjoyable part of the job was witnessing the child succeed.
Pros
great benefits, great pay, paid time off
Challenging but rewarding.
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYNovember 11, 2018
At the end of the day I take pride and joy in seeing happy hard working children. It can be challenging at times but staying focused and positive helps me reach my goal for the day.
School no longer exists
Legal translator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 9, 2018
In 2001, I worked at Taft High School operated by the New York Board of Education. Because Taft High School no longer exists and the school system has undergone a number of changes in leadership since I was there, I do not believe any comments by me would be of any help.
Loved working with the children!
Classroom Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 8, 2018
Being in the classroom helping children with their classwork, reviewing homework, reading with them and mentoring was fulfilling. It provided a sense of community because they were neighborhood kids. One of the highlights of my career.
Eugene
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 7, 2018
I come into work at around 7:35 in the morning. I am a substitute teacher and usual I have different responsibilities on a daily basis. I follow the plans the teachers leave for me. I pick up the students (Auditorium or Cafeteria) and work on everything that the teachers want me to cover.

Sometimes educators don't leave me any work, so I either make print outs of what I bring to class. I also, assign students independent reading in the morning. I usually do a mini lesson with the entire math group and then have the students go back to their seats and I allow them to complete their work with a partner(s).

I go over the math school work. For writing I usually depending on the grade have students write a reflection on what they have read during independent reading time(if no writing work is assigned).

Sometimes the hardest thing is to get the students to start working. If they have good work ethic and are well mannered it usually doesn't take long. The kids who need constant redirection I assign students to work with and sometimes I work with a small group of my own, just to see who needs the help and who doesn't.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
No benefits, different schools different days
Fun place to work
School Aide (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYNovember 7, 2018
You are treated like family regardless of your position.
Teachers and admin treated everyone with respect.
The children were awesome. Overall a great place to work
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
the Pay could have been better
Substitute Teaching
BROOKLYN (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYNovember 6, 2018
On a typical day I would be assigned a schedule of classes I would be working with. I would assist the co-teacher with lessons or sometimes implement lesson plans independently. I was responsible for lunch and recess supervision. The workplace at the specific school that I was in was always pleasant and loving. The hardest part of the day was feeling like I wasn't doing enough to help children who may have needed it. The most enjoyable part of my day was seeing the students excited to see me each morning and enthusiastic to work.
good enviorment
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Glendale, NYNovember 5, 2018
Healthy workplace,learned a lot, met good people and would like to return.
Around the time of my resignation I became a refrigeration engineer which would help my abilities a great way in this field.
A day as a college coach
College Coach (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 4, 2018
An average day at work was arriving at school and meeting with the set students for the day, walk ins, etc... I learned how to manage my time and patience. The management was impeccable as well as the workplace. The hardest part of the job was keeping up with my case load, the most enjoyable part was seeing my students progress.
Pros
Paid training days with free lunch
Cons
Only last for the summer

Ask a question about working or interviewing at New York City Department of Education. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.6InHerSight Score

2.6Personal Development

3.5Career Opportunities

1.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight