New York City Department of Education

New York City Department of Education Employee Reviews

United States2,044 reviews
Found 2,044 reviews matching the search
Starting Point
It has great work culture. Has many opportunities for career change and promotions. Staff are very friendly and they make sure to create a comfortable working environment.
Stable employer, good benefits, and strong union representation
I had enjoyed working for them and I gained a lot of professional experience in the process. Since it was a diverse population with a number of challenges, this enabled me to utilize a number of my professional skills and to develop them further.
Pros
Good hours, benefits, strong union
Cons
Can be somewhat rigid, large bureaucracy
productive workplace
The most rewarding part of the job is being able to help children learn and grow. A typical day at work is being in the classroom assisting the head teacher to reinforce her curriculum. You learn along with your students.
We had a great working environment
The hardest part of the job was not knowing what kind of students I would be working with. I had to make sure I was prepared and that I could control the class I was going to teach that day.
Pros
Consistent work
Cons
Children are the future of our communities, so those who want to devote their career to shaping young minds and helping kids become productive adults have an extremely important and rewarding role to play. By helping special needs children you can make a positive and lasting difference in children’s lives.
Leave a review. Help people like you.
Lifelong Learning
Since new teachers are always entering the system, the NYCDOE has a natural atmosphere of innovation and talent. The commitment to lifelong learning is admirable.
Fulfiling Career
Working in the NYCDOE provides one with the opportunity to give back to their community and to influence the next generation of innovators and leaders.
Love it
It was a typical days working with kids. I no complain at all . I dedicated 20 years of my life. What kind I say, is that I enjoyed working there and be part of the family for so long.
Stable job
Being a Paraprofessional is a good job if you like kids The New York CIty Department of Education pays for your education and have great benefits.
Plus you have summers off.
Different locations
You work at different locations, school schedule and diverse community. Can be a bit rough some days but you feel great when the students excel at their work.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at New York City Department of Education?
Excellent Job
Wonderful Job
Dealt with Kids and parents and staff.

I do pupil accounting and payroll and budget. I do procurement for staff and students. I love dealing with the kids on a day to day basis.
Productive, diversity, and unity.
Working for NYCDOE has been an amazing, rewarding, and educational experience.everyday you have the opportunity to enhance your skills. Awesome place to work.
NYC Department of Education
Working for the New York City Department of Education has its pros and cons. Some pros include that you meet a number of individuals who are committed to student success. Cons include a limited ability for vertical movement.
They are friendly and always making candidate comfortable to be open and willing to share skills and expertise or willing to learn from mentors. Just love learning possibilities.
Pros
flexible
Cons
flexible
Each School is Different
The DOE has created a culture of school building administraters who are punitive and create a workload for teachers that is practically unmanageable. Teachers are over worked and under paid and many work in an environment that does not feel safe due to the lack of consequences for students who are violent or simply have a serious behavior problem.Each school is different. Some teachers have admins who are supportive and do not fit the norm.
Department of Education
You must love working with children. It has great benefits for your family such as paid summer vacation for full time employees. What is enjoyable about the job us having great connections with the children.
An expansive public school system that I love and to which I devoted my life
I am incredible fortunate to have been able to work at one of the most amazing public high schools in the country, City-As-School. I was able to grow as an educator and human being while supporting incredible students and developing unique and innovative programs.
Nice people / terrible management
Management is in disarray or just not there. Easy job though. Nice folks who can be highly intelligent and all are passionate about education. I got a change to learn some new computer programs on the job. However, the work culture was a bit lacking. A year there, I never heard from management about what our overall goals were or how we were doing. At my level, the work goals shifted constantly with no accountability. Government workplace culture. I liked some of the people there.
Supportive team
I had a wonderful experience working with the DOE and the DECE. The managers and leaders were very helpful, warm, and respectful. I was sad when the contracted ended as it was a temporary position. I would love to work with them again in the future.
Too much politics and gang mentality
Good work ethics are not appreciated. Culture of boys' club, hazing and bullying. Wasting resources and covering up for inappropriate behaviors. Vindictive management.
It’s great to work for this company and the benefits are amazing.
This company is great and it’s a career job. The benefits are amazing. Teaches you slot of patients dealing with many different kids. I have Been working here for 6 years.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at New York City Department of Education. Our community is ready to answer.
Diversity score
out of 100
Comparably
Diversity Score
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at New York City Department of Education.