New York City Department of Education Employee Reviews

Found 1,423 reviews matching the search See all 1,429 reviews
Worth the experience
Deputy Executive Director (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 18, 2018
If you want to be part of something big within education, there is nothing comparable to working for an agency that serves 1.1 million children. Everything that you do, makes a big impact.
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, NYSeptember 18, 2018
The DOE offers great benefits and working in education is rewarding. Supportive administration and a collaborative environment is important to the success of the school and culture.
It's all about the children
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 17, 2018
Paperwork, paperwork, paperwork ... overworked teachers who give their all. Overworked Paras who are trying their best. Administration who are in some ways out of touch. At the end of the day, it is all about the children and making sure they succeed.
i love work
sports specialist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 17, 2018
i come to work and put mximum effort into my career i enjoy children students and people in general . i love the commitment of the fellow workers job
Pros
hard wprk
Cons
hard work
Thankless job
Parent Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 12, 2018
Parent Coordinators are basically required to do whatever the principal wants you to do. The position should be about parents, but instead you do whatever needs to be done in the school. You will not have the summers off, you will not get paid overtime for working in the evenings or the weekends (practically everyone else does get overtime). You are one of the lowest paid full-time employees. New employee training and help are terrible.
Pros
Helping people.
Cons
You do not get to do what the job description states.
Shaping and Molding the Minds of Tomorrow
School Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Far Rockaway, NYSeptember 12, 2018
I throughly enjoy working with the students and teachers. The students have diverse upbringings and backgrounds which made each day very challenging, yet fulfilling. You have some teachers who genuinely care about the students and some who are really just there for a paycheck and summers off. The hardest part of the job is when you work with a student and believe you are making a difference only to find out the work you've done has not made a difference. It's hard not to take it personally because you want all of the students to see what you see in them, the possibilities. Administration can be challenging as well, they have one vision for the school and don't receive suggestions from staff who are dealing with the social/emotional aspect of what our students go through and how this impacts their overall academic potential/performance.
Horrible Experience
Special Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  Harlem, NYSeptember 11, 2018
Just google the reviews it is deplorable. Changed careers with the NYCTF, worked at a renewal (failing school) for 2 years in a dangerous neighborhood. Was not worth the risk.
Pros
Decent Salary and Benefits
Cons
Too many to mention
Great Benefits/Off the Weekends/But not alot of overtime or room for growth
Field Inspector (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 11, 2018
Health and retirement Benefits are great. Being off on the weekends and on almost all the holidays is also great. My unit's manager does needs to be trained on how to be a good leader and not be reactive.
Pros
Salary, Off weekends and holidays, great health benefits & retirement plan
Cons
Not alot of overtime, no room for growth in my unit, not very good leadership
Workplace
Elementary School Educational Assistant (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYSeptember 10, 2018
-Good pay
-Makes an impact in young students/teens
-Great training experiences
-I loved the staff I worked with
-Love the students I interacted with on a daily basis
-Opportunity for growth and advancement
Productive and fun
School Lunch Helper (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYSeptember 10, 2018
This is a good company with excellent benefits and chances at advancement. There seems to be a high managerial turnover and the work place can be chaotic at times.
Pros
Free lunch and union affiliated
Cons
On your feet all day
Cut Throat
Classroom Instructor/Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 9, 2018
Due to the nature of the environment, there tended to a lack of accountability and responsibility among many of the paraprofessional staff which lead to envy and unethical behavior.
great community of people to be in
SubTeacher (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYSeptember 5, 2018
fun to work around people and children and teach things you've learn from your experiences . Also was good to work in Basketball and Physical education.
Working for the DOE allows for you to pursue other interests but if you are looking to have the opportunity to create additional income and raise your
Related Services Guidance Counselor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 5, 2018
Regardless of the time and effort that you put in to your job, your students, and your school you will only be paid based upon what is set in the contract. nothing is based on merit or qualifications to perform your job with the utmost integrity or efficacy.
Pros
Time off
decent working environment
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 4, 2018
my introduction to teaching and a wonderful experience. As a career changer, DOE gave me an opportunity to get started in the classroom and continue my teaching certification.
Productive, communal, learning opportunities
Consultant (Contract), Project Associate (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 4, 2018
I have a variety of tasks; being on the project management team, we assist with planning events. Some of my tasks include creating signage, collating documents and folders, setting up the event itself (tables, chairs, etc…). I occasionally pull reports for data, create labels and nametags, and volunteer at many other team events. I have learned things about project managing but also about working in the corporate world, considering this is my first corporate job. My supervisors are great, they push me to try new things and be open to new opportunities; unfortunately, on our specific team, there is not much room for advancement. They encourage my colleagues and I to search for permanent positions on one of the many other teams that the D.O.E has. The workplace culture is great; people are kind and respectful and are willing to help you learn. The hardest part of the job is being on a contract and not knowing when they may no longer need you. Another difficult part is the pay; the cost of living is extremely high in NYC and the pay, though it is better than most jobs that I have had, is still not enough to move. The best part of the job is the community and the areas where you can learn and advance.
Pros
community, learning opportunities
Cons
pay, advancement is minimal
workplace with much stress
Pupil Accounts Secretary (Current Employee) –  PS 3 2100 LaFontaine Avenue, Bronx, NY 10458August 31, 2018
Some good factors and some bad ones; bad outweigh the good ones; working in a very unsecure environment with little assistance to complete work for ridiculous deadlines; very stressful office environment with little offering for advancement for secretaries only more duties; school not managed properly; low sense of morale for many employees there; favoritism on behalf of management; best part of the job is being away from it/vacations; school environment unhealthy people always sick
Pros
vacation time
Cons
unfair treatment of workers by administrators, favoritism, pass the buck attitude by coworkers and administration, bad neighborhood to work, in parents don't care about their kids, nasty backstabbing people
Teacher, Special Education (Former Employee) –  New York CityAugust 28, 2018
The best advantage to working for the DOE is that you can escalate in your position if you are willing to apply yourself by going to college.

The day is fast paced and there seems to be little time to get paper work done. You end up using a lot of your own free time to complete some tasks.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Not enough time in the day to complete paper work
I taught first grade in the same elementary school for 11 years.I made lifelong friends there and had many enriching teaching and learning experiences
EARLY CHILDHOOD CLASSROOM INSTRUCTOR (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYAugust 28, 2018
While teaching for the NYC Board of Education I developed professionally. I had the opportunity to advance academically and professionally. I learned how to write and receive grants that enabled me to enrich the learning experiences of my students.

I remained at the same elementary school until I left to raise my children and then relocated. I have many wonderful memories of my teaching experiences.
Pros
Supportive colleagues, administrators and productive environment.
Cons
Location was distant from home.
There were many opportunities for advancement.
Elementary School Teacher (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 27, 2018
There were many support staff members to assist and mentor teachers who were new. The hardest part of the job was being able to teach the curriculum in the given time. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing students learn new things and know that I played a crucial role in their learning.
Pros
Received an annual salary although worked 10 months
Cons
Disruptive students, unmotivated, unconcerned parents
Need more money
Assistant Cook (Current Employee) –  Vernon, NYAugust 26, 2018
Need more money, 5 years for a raise is too slow... I have a family to feed. Try to get a better title and raise its still not a enough. My health insurance was a joke I have a lot of billes

Ask a question about working or interviewing at New York City Department of Education. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Diversity score

55out of 100

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at New York City Department of Education.

Powered by Comparably