New York City Department of Environmental Protection Employee Reviews

Productive and full of advancement
Sustainability Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 13, 2018
I had a productive internship with the NYC DEP. I was given opportunities to explore other aspects of the NYC government, and to take part in challenging engineering projects.
Pros
Visited interesting places
Learning
Right-to-Know Inspector (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 9, 2018
NYDEP created a learning environment. It was always something new to learn. The Right to know program gave an insight of how many chemicals and how they are stored in the business around the city.
Pros
Benefits and Challenges
Cons
Snow
Productive Clerical work
Student Clerical Associate (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYDecember 20, 2017
My task at NYC-DEP was filing nuisance complaints for several residents whom lived near DEP water plants throughout the city. In addition, to representative work of making copies, answering phone calls and even visiting various locations
Pros
Office setting
Cons
Short breaks
Friendly, balanced, professional.
Clerical Associate (Current Employee) –  Flushing, NYSeptember 5, 2017
Relaxed work environment with balanced work load. Friendly and professional employees make coming in to work a pleasure. Management promotes growth and challenging the employee to take steps for advancement within the DEP.
Nice place to work
City Research Scientist (Current Employee) –  Queens, NYAugust 24, 2017
Challenging projects and friendly co-workers. Benefits and time off are great, pension, overtime. Feels like you are contributing to the community. Salaries are based on civil service title, so raises only come as the union negotiates the contract. The only way to make significant advancements is to apply for other jobs within the agency. The bureaucratic red tape can slow things down and be frustrating at times, but otherwise things will eventually move along.
Pros
Benefits, pension, job security, paid time off
Cons
Slow advancements without changing jobs, agency headquarters is located in a dilapidated building in outer Queens, about a 10 minute walk from local subway stop.
environmentally fun
Hand swept beach areas (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJune 27, 2017
I worked on beach that were abandon , coney island, manhattan beach etc. I met so many fun people, and many connections. We were on TV as an environmental group. and we had many free things as tickets to the cyclones baseball games.
Nyc dep
Supervisor of Electricians (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 30, 2017
Management has not worked their way through the ranks and has no idea how to manage professional tradesman. Promotions are based on the FRIENDS AND FAMILY PLAN. The amount of stress induced by the way electricians are treated is amazing. Trades are considered 2nd class citizens. Safety is no longer taken seriously and managers feel anyone can do electrical work. Terrible place to work. Miserable atmosphere.
Pros
Good salary professional trades
Cons
Managers who believe they are better than everyone else.
It's a very professional work place
Industrial Hygienist (Current Employee) –  Junction boulevard, NYApril 26, 2017
Board of Education Retirement System is a great place to work.I had a good work experience there.The staff was fine.The supervisor was also very professional.
Pros
People were nice
Cons
No complaint.
Productive work place
Deputy Director of Budget & Office Services (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 26, 2017
Productive work place with a friendly environment. DEP has provided me the opportunity to hone in on my skills and enhance me abilities. I have continuously grown throughout the years.
Field Chemist
Assistant Chemist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 12, 2016
If you are not well verse in your chemical principles and are afraid of authority figures this is not the job for you. You will deal with external as well as internal bullies and you need to be able to not only back them down but also make sure you get your point across.
Pros
rewarding at first
Cons
hard to get promotions
Employee moral could be improved greatly
Principal Administrative Associate I - C/S (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 29, 2016
Advancement is not as easy for some employee's as it is for others.
Too many Chief's not enough indians. Inventory is not considered a critical task, but money is being spent everyday on stock not needed in order to justify budgets.
Pros
Wonderful people exciting work
Cons
Lack of Diversity in uppermanagement positions
educational and entertainment
Stationary Engineer Electric (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 21, 2016
plant being under upgrade , subcontractors working in every station with great experience . the experience of renovation comes once in long time. i was really lucky to be involved in such upgrade.
the hardest about my job as a plant engineer is being in charge of the safety for every worker in the plant including the subcontractors . implementing the safety rules and work regulations is not an easy task to educate all workers.
the most enjoyable part of the job is touring the plant , checking the tanks, pumps, and plant equipment at the end of the shift to ensure proper operation.
Pros
coffee brake and lunch time, also wash up time at end of the shift.
Cons
As plant engineer i have to be in the control room most of the time to ensure proper operation.
personnel
Assistant Personnel Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 15, 2016
creating databases and tracking personnel actions, Human Resources work, knowledge of civil service law, attending hiring pools
My daily job
Associate Water Use Inspector (Current Employee) –  1932 Arthur Avenue, Bronx, NY 10457November 2, 2015
During work I assign jobs to the Inspectors, I call them over the phone with information, I speak to customers about their appointments and various other topics.

There were many experiences having worked throughout the Bronx for 27 years.
Pros
Learning the different technical machinery available
Cons
Not many
Wonderful place to work
Internship (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 26, 2015
I wish to go back again. People are very friendly and helpful. There is no body who can bother others. It is a peaceful place for work.
My Day At The Office
Call Center Representative (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 27, 2015
A typical day at my job involves taking calls from customers regarding their water and sewer bill. Customers who call want to know things such as their balance, why is bill so high or how can they setup a payment arrangement.

I also assist customers with setting up their online accounts, reviewing their daily usage and advising of possible leaks on the property.
Pros
Working with great co-workers
Cons
The customers who tend to scream and curse at you.
Large NYC Agency Struggling to Manage Effectively
Project Engineer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 18, 2015
Lack of talented management makes this an unpredictable place to work. The HR organization is very weak and is not effective. The City attracts some talent but cannot retain talent. Managers who stay are unable to go elsewhere. A bullying culture exists but HR allows this to continue. The Commissioner responds to the public but do not manage the organization. The IT infrastructure is antiquated. Training is not to industry standards. Managers do not communicate across the organization.
Cons
Poor Management & Bullying Culture
Productive Fun/good experience
Industrial Hygienist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 16, 2015
DEP is a very good agency to work for depending on the position you are in. very good employees and great staff, management is not bad at all. The money is good but not great..again it depends on ur title....

overall good place to work
Pros
great employees
Cons
City politics
Great place to learn about NYC Water Supply & Environment
Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 23, 2014
Working with the Bureau of Water Supply I learned about stormwater runoff and was constantly exposed to keeping reservoirs clean, and in turn keeping NYC drinking water clean. The engineers whom I worked alongside reviewed and approved construction plans to build or modify property within the watershed.

The management team was fantastic with years of experience and an abundance of knowledge in the water supply and engineering fields. The most enjoyable part of the job was to witness first hand what these men and women do on a daily basis to ensure that the water supply for New York City remains clean and safe. This was an unpaid internship and applied towards 3 college credits for me.
Pros
Exposed to a new world of water supply and management
Cons
Internship only lasted a semester and was unpaid, travel time.
So much you can do
Director of Capital Program Outreach (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 7, 2014
The New York City Department of Environmental Protection has such a diverse portfolio of projects that someone who joins the agency could work their whole career and do several very different jobs over a 125 mile geography.