New York City Department of Environmental Protection

New York City Department of Environmental Protection Employee Reviews

Team interactive, mission driven workplace
Project Controls Specialist (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYJuly 16, 2018
I enjoyed every second of my time while i was at DEP. I loved my superiors/mentors. They were very attentive and helpful and considerate whenever I have an issue, question or need advice. We have one meeting every week which summarized what we did, where we are in the project and what we need to do this week in order to be on track with the schedule. Another aspect i really liked was that we were a very close knitted team and know each other on first name bases even though it was a large team.
Cut throat, biased, and filled with friends and family
PAA II (Former Employee) –  Corona, NYApril 29, 2018
Learned nothing from this position. Gained nothing from this position. If you are of the mindset to do as you are told and not to think for yourself, this is the perfect job.
Pros
It was local
Cons
Working for the City of New York can be a chore
amazing and challenging place
Communtiy Assistant (Current Employee) –  Queens, NYMarch 12, 2018
Fast paced but inviting workplace. Heavy on teamwork and accuracy. amazing place. amazing staff easy to move up. Benefits are unmatched. Set work schedule.
Pros
overtime and lots of growth
slow paced and boring a lot of the times
Assistant Civil Engineer/ Project Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 6, 2018
Meh it was okay.
Slow moving
Not a lot of work a lot of days
Hard to escape the red tape
everything takes a very long time to accomplish
Not forward thinking.
Productive and full of advancement
Sustainability Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 13, 2018
I had a productive internship with the NYC DEP. I was given opportunities to explore other aspects of the NYC government, and to take part in challenging engineering projects.
Pros
Visited interesting places
A good place to grow
Director of Technical/Desktop Support (Former Employee) –  Corona, NYJanuary 30, 2018
It was a good place to move and grow technically. In my 12 years there I worked for 3 major IT Departments. I would have liked to stay but progress sometimes require changes of location.
Learning
Right-to-Know Inspector (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 9, 2018
NYDEP created a learning environment. It was always something new to learn. The Right to know program gave an insight of how many chemicals and how they are stored in the business around the city.
Pros
Benefits and Challenges
Cons
Snow
Great company if you’re not in collections north-tallman island
Stationary Engineer Electric (Current Employee) –  Tallman Island, NYDecember 30, 2017
Very cut throat, back stabbing...corruption runs rampant...no adherence to civil service rules....people who can’t pass civil service exam are kept in titles while others with more experience are forced out because they are viewed as a threat....these guys basically are stealing OT from NYC and the DEP does nothing about it...guys will sell their soul just to work OT because they live way above their means...multiple charges have been brought against chief and deputy with regard to workplace violence, harassment, intimidation....everything gets swept under the rug.
Productive Clerical work
Student Clerical Associate (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYDecember 20, 2017
My task at NYC-DEP was filing nuisance complaints for several residents whom lived near DEP water plants throughout the city. In addition, to representative work of making copies, answering phone calls and even visiting various locations
Pros
Office setting
Cons
Short breaks
Summary
Sr. Water Use Inspector/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Staten Island, NYNovember 6, 2017
Great place to work. NYC job provided stability. Leadership was professional and provided work life balance. Very busy office. Benefits were amazing.
Encourages initiative and freedom
Programmer/Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Corona, NYNovember 5, 2017
It encourages employees to take initiative and come up with creative decisions at an early stage of your career. You will be put in a position where you feel as though you have the ability to make a direct impact on high value projects.
Benefits were the best part
Water Use Inspection Supervisor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 5, 2017
This is a city job for which there was little oppurtunities for advancement due to people not leaving positions and favoritism thruout the agency. If you have a poor chief like I did his objective was to write guys up and bring disiplinary actions to advance his own career at the expence of others.
Benefits
Cons
Poor management
Challenging and Rewarding Internship
Intern (Former Employee) –  Grahamsville, NYOctober 24, 2017
I worked at the NYC Department of Environmental Protection as a summer intern. I found the experience to be extremely rewarding. I was provided with opportunities to do real engineering as an intern. The work environment was great and my supervisors were always willing to teach me what they knew.
Great Starter Agency
Supervisor of Stock Workers (Current Employee) –  Staten Island, NYOctober 22, 2017
relaxed atmosphere
Good employees willing to help
tough management and my location Takes getting used to sewage smell.
decent overtime
great benefits
Relaxed
College Aide for Citywide Help Desk (Former Employee) –  Lefrak City, NYSeptember 20, 2017
DEP is a relaxed and slow place to work. Everyone starts late and when lunch time rolls around there is not much to do. After lunch duties get even slower. Though this is only the OIT dept.
Pros
relaxed
Cons
no much to improve
Very informative work place
Customer service assistance for project feedback (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 14, 2017
I learned about various projects being worked on at DEP and was allowed to participate and contribute. I enjoyed it overall as I enjoy working in places I am able to learn.
Friendly, balanced, professional.
Clerical Associate (Current Employee) –  Flushing, NYSeptember 5, 2017
Relaxed work environment with balanced work load. Friendly and professional employees make coming in to work a pleasure. Management promotes growth and challenging the employee to take steps for advancement within the DEP.
Nice place to work
City Research Scientist (Current Employee) –  Queens, NYAugust 24, 2017
Challenging projects and friendly co-workers. Benefits and time off are great, pension, overtime. Feels like you are contributing to the community. Salaries are based on civil service title, so raises only come as the union negotiates the contract. The only way to make significant advancements is to apply for other jobs within the agency. The bureaucratic red tape can slow things down and be frustrating at times, but otherwise things will eventually move along.
Pros
Benefits, pension, job security, paid time off
Cons
Slow advancements without changing jobs, agency headquarters is located in a dilapidated building in outer Queens, about a 10 minute walk from local subway stop.
enriched learning envrionment
Clerical Associate (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYAugust 9, 2017
working at this agency has proved to be quite eventful this is a fast paced environment where you have a multitude of opportunities for learning and mastering new things with hands on training and real life situations that will assist you in any aspect of new York city life
Good environment and people to work with.
Principal Adminstrative Associate. (Current Employee) –  Queens, NYJuly 26, 2017
This government agency is a premier agency to work for in New York City. They lead in many initatives that the city of New York starts. You are considered best in class if you work here at DEP.

Please note you are an civil servant so you won't be compensated like the private industry, but you will be part of something greater than yourself.
Pros
Premier government utility agency
Cons
Job security, good working envirnoment