New York City Department of Environmental Protection

New York City Department of Environmental Protection Employee Reviews

Positive atmosphere
Clerical Associates/Assistant Supervisor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 19, 2019
Working for DEP was great. I worked with disabled individuals that were self driven to succeed. The work environment was family oriented and challenging
Pros
City Agency
Great place for job security
Industrial Hygienist (Current Employee) –  Queens, NYMarch 6, 2019
Great place for job security. Great benefits but management could use some improvement. Selective diversity in job advancement. Salary is not competitive
Seasonal
Maintenance On Green Infostructures (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMarch 4, 2019
I worked seasonal for dep the worst experience Of my life biased management picking people who they know or knows someone inside the main office in queens a lot of favoritism based on choosing seasonals if you don’t kiss enough butt or do the most for the job you won’t get it a lot of times just doing the job you won’t get the job the permanent workers make you do the difficult task why some sit in the vechile or some just watch you you can’t go to management because they will go back and tell them what you have said and make the work place more awkward all this place does is break you down they tell you the whole 9 months you going to get the job the whole time they have who they want from the begnning don’t plan on getting this job full time they will hide the overtime from you so the ones who they like will get it first I highly recommend don’t work here it’s good for a resume but it will mentally break you down by how things are run
Benefits
Cons
Management, favoritism
Needs Improvement
Community Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 27, 2019
Everything stated below was my experience.
In my typical day I review Invoices in which i have gained very useful experience, however the management and workplace culture is not great resulting in an uncomfortable workplace. The disregard for on the job knowledge is unbelievable, good work is not appreciated and credit is not given where it is deserved. This environment is not productive to the employees and there are no advancement opportunities as they prefer new hire, than to promote from within.
Pros
Healthcare, Union Support, /Benefits
Cons
Salary, Micromanagement, Uncomfortable Workplace, No Advancement Opportunity
Great benefits and work/life balance
Associate Chemist - Level 2 (Current Employee) –  Queens, NYJanuary 26, 2019
I’ve been employed for 9 years and the best thing about it is the amount of time I have accumulated off due to overtime that I take as compensatory time off.
Pros
Pension
Cons
Advancement is difficult
Laid back place to work with some great people, beautiful scenery and cool infrastructure
Water Operations Intern (Former Employee) –  NYCJanuary 19, 2019
I worked as a Water Operations Intern for the DEP and enjoyed my experience. My supervisor was one of the nicest guys I've met, the NYC water system is very cool once you begin to understand the scope of it and majority of the property where you work is in beautiful natural areas. Lots of coffee breaks, slow work pace and worker morale isn't the highest, especially at lower positions. It for sure is government so if thats the culture you're after, this is the place. Great job and would definitely go back. Engineering Interns were paid less than other engineering interns at private companies but the work was much less stressful.
Green Infrastructure abuses seasonal workers
Civil Park Worker (Former Employee) –  NYCJanuary 8, 2019
Green Infrastructure has created a environment where seasonal workers are made to fulfill the duties of Gardner's & Full time employees while they just stand around and point the finger.
Seasonals give their all expecting full time in return. However, as a former employee for two seasons with good evaluations, your performance does not guarantee you a job. Instead, drivers feel that they dont have to do anything but drive & Gardners make seasonals do all the gardening work meanwhile the gardner is the one who receives the credit as well as the high pay when they rarely lift a finger. In the winter, there is not much to do. Thus, these full timers and Gardners basically go the whole year without really doing any labor. Waiting for the seasonals to arrive so that they can repeat the process.
Most supervisors have no supervisory skills. Meaning, the people who apply are mostly ghetto, from the hood, so to speak. So they have to choose among these although in reality he may not have the skills for that position.
So if you apply for this position be ready to pick up every full timers slack.
Pros
Weekends off, paid holidays
Cons
You have to pick up others slack
City Government is rewarding and frustrating
Geospatial Data Scientist - BWSO Bluebelt Unit (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 9, 2018
City government work is a mix of rewarding and frustrating. Ultimately, you're working for something that is really important and can benefit the lives of millions of people, but red tape, terrible management, resistance to change can squelch even the most optimistic do-gooder. This might sound grim, but there's also much change on the horizon in NYC. Due to long hiring freezes during the recession, over 50% of the workforce is nearing retirement and the current Mayor is very pro technology and progress. If you can stick it out a few years, there's a lot of opportunity for advancement and change.
Pros
Opportunity
Cons
Red tape
Good Place To Work
Statistician II (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 9, 2018
You will be exposed to a lot thing that will help you to be better at your work. The can do better in terms of salary. I believe other NYC government agencies pays their employees more than what NYCDEP.
Work Experience
Maintenance Facilitator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 9, 2018
My experience working for the Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) were very appreciative and a wonderful learning environment. DEP offers my different opportunities to excel your career if you seek out the opportunity and follow the guidance offered by the excellent human resources. I was very involved in many different aspects of the management teams early on in my career. I participated in many workshops to meet and have discussion with a variety of other governmental bodies. This was a very rewarding experience through my career at DEP. The diverse work atmosphere of be part of the decision team and the challenge of having open discussions with the management team for funding and other budgetary items especially additional staffing to expand the work environment.
Pros
Hard work
Low development
Environmental Police Officer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 20, 2018
Not much to say. Very low pay and your work location is far from the city. The job posting doesn’t inform applicants that you may be placed elsewhere far from the city.
Cons
Low pay
Productive, happy to work with good education people
Maintenance Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 21, 2018
Start will tool box meeting,
Remand people for the jobs the must be done for that day.
Check periodically how they are working
Resolve any problem raised from employees
Help if necessary
Finish the paper works

It is very important for to create a good team , respect and help each other, in order to move forward.
Disappointing
Regional Manager - EHS (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 17, 2018
I was disappointed with the culture at the DEP. I felt that there was much more I could do with my managerial skills. There was also a difference in the way things were done depending on what bureau you worked for.
competitive
Data Entry / Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 5, 2018
i work in the call center where we were on the phone most of the time assisting clients about there billing statement.it was a very tasking job yet good for developing patients which you have to have to maintain socially,you need to be a people person willing to exercise balance in communicating. it is true that patience is truly a virtue and take the calm with the storm.
Benefits good
Apprentice Construction Laborer (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYAugust 24, 2018
Good place to work,good pay great benefits, medical vision pension,etc,gotta work in all weather,extreme heat,extreme cold,rain storms, this job is not for EVERYONE
Pros
Benefits good
Cons
Working in all weather's
Knowledgeable work envy
Custodial Engineer (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYAugust 22, 2018
If it your choice to make career advancement throughout the angecy there are several opportunities to be taken advantage of within the department and it is highly recommended by the management.
Pros
Career advancement
Cons
The waiting list to be appointed
productive
GIS Analyst/Editor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 9, 2018
The New York City Environmental Protection is a job that is very productive. The people are professionsal and the work that is completed is driven by the mission statement of the agency.
Pros
benefits, free lunch
Cons
expensive vending machines
Teaches good work ethic to newbies!!
HEAVY DUTY LABORER (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYAugust 7, 2018
Overall a good place to work with the usual this and that at a tipical city workplace....Good pay and benefits unecessarily strict lateness policy usually supportive....
Its a job
Clerical Associate III (Former Employee) –  NYC, NY 10035July 23, 2018
A very rugged environment (sewage plant). Most days are 7 am to 3pm work day. Good health benefits. Plenty of employment options. Go to nyc.gov and apply.
Pros
City benefits
Cons
Sewage plant
Team interactive, mission driven workplace
Project Controls Specialist (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYJuly 16, 2018
I enjoyed every second of my time while i was at DEP. I loved my superiors/mentors. They were very attentive and helpful and considerate whenever I have an issue, question or need advice. We have one meeting every week which summarized what we did, where we are in the project and what we need to do this week in order to be on track with the schedule. Another aspect i really liked was that we were a very close knitted team and know each other on first name bases even though it was a large team.