New York City Department of Environmental Protection

New York City Department of Environmental Protection Employee Reviews

Low development
Environmental Police Officer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 20, 2018
Not much to say. Very low pay and your work location is far from the city. The job posting doesn’t inform applicants that you may be placed elsewhere far from the city.
Cons
Low pay
Productive, happy to work with good education people
Maintenance Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 21, 2018
Start will tool box meeting,
Remand people for the jobs the must be done for that day.
Check periodically how they are working
Resolve any problem raised from employees
Help if necessary
Finish the paper works

It is very important for to create a good team , respect and help each other, in order to move forward.
Disappointing
Regional Manager - EHS (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 17, 2018
I was disappointed with the culture at the DEP. I felt that there was much more I could do with my managerial skills. There was also a difference in the way things were done depending on what bureau you worked for.
competitive
Data Entry / Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 5, 2018
i work in the call center where we were on the phone most of the time assisting clients about there billing statement.it was a very tasking job yet good for developing patients which you have to have to maintain socially,you need to be a people person willing to exercise balance in communicating. it is true that patience is truly a virtue and take the calm with the storm.
Benefits good
Apprentice Construction Laborer (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYAugust 24, 2018
Good place to work,good pay great benefits, medical vision pension,etc,gotta work in all weather,extreme heat,extreme cold,rain storms, this job is not for EVERYONE
Pros
Benefits good
Cons
Working in all weather's
Knowledgeable work envy
Custodial Engineer (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYAugust 22, 2018
If it your choice to make career advancement throughout the angecy there are several opportunities to be taken advantage of within the department and it is highly recommended by the management.
Pros
Career advancement
Cons
The waiting list to be appointed
productive
GIS Analyst/Editor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 9, 2018
The New York City Environmental Protection is a job that is very productive. The people are professionsal and the work that is completed is driven by the mission statement of the agency.
Pros
benefits, free lunch
Cons
expensive vending machines
Teaches good work ethic to newbies!!
HEAVY DUTY LABORER (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYAugust 7, 2018
Overall a good place to work with the usual this and that at a tipical city workplace....Good pay and benefits unecessarily strict lateness policy usually supportive....
Its a job
Clerical Associate III (Former Employee) –  NYC, NY 10035July 23, 2018
A very rugged environment (sewage plant). Most days are 7 am to 3pm work day. Good health benefits. Plenty of employment options. Go to nyc.gov and apply.
Pros
City benefits
Cons
Sewage plant
Team interactive, mission driven workplace
Project Controls Specialist (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYJuly 16, 2018
I enjoyed every second of my time while i was at DEP. I loved my superiors/mentors. They were very attentive and helpful and considerate whenever I have an issue, question or need advice. We have one meeting every week which summarized what we did, where we are in the project and what we need to do this week in order to be on track with the schedule. Another aspect i really liked was that we were a very close knitted team and know each other on first name bases even though it was a large team.
best working place
Perform Administrative Tasks (Current Employee) –  59-17 junction BlvdJuly 15, 2018
The place has good working environment and nice friendly co-workers.The administrative tasks are very understanding and the team is very co-operative.Love to work there.
Pros
free lunches, short break
Cons
some of the part are not good
Cut throat, biased, and filled with friends and family
PAA II (Former Employee) –  Corona, NYApril 29, 2018
Learned nothing from this position. Gained nothing from this position. If you are of the mindset to do as you are told and not to think for yourself, this is the perfect job.
Pros
It was local
Cons
Working for the City of New York can be a chore
amazing and challenging place
Communtiy Assistant (Current Employee) –  Queens, NYMarch 12, 2018
Fast paced but inviting workplace. Heavy on teamwork and accuracy. amazing place. amazing staff easy to move up. Benefits are unmatched. Set work schedule.
Pros
overtime and lots of growth
slow paced and boring a lot of the times
Assistant Civil Engineer/ Project Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 6, 2018
Meh it was okay.
Slow moving
Not a lot of work a lot of days
Hard to escape the red tape
everything takes a very long time to accomplish
Not forward thinking.
Productive and full of advancement
Sustainability Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 13, 2018
I had a productive internship with the NYC DEP. I was given opportunities to explore other aspects of the NYC government, and to take part in challenging engineering projects.
Pros
Visited interesting places
A good place to grow
Director of Technical/Desktop Support (Former Employee) –  Corona, NYJanuary 30, 2018
It was a good place to move and grow technically. In my 12 years there I worked for 3 major IT Departments. I would have liked to stay but progress sometimes require changes of location.
Learning
Right-to-Know Inspector (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 9, 2018
NYDEP created a learning environment. It was always something new to learn. The Right to know program gave an insight of how many chemicals and how they are stored in the business around the city.
Pros
Benefits and Challenges
Cons
Snow
HRO-Human Resources Director (Former Employee) –  250 Broadway, 24th, New York, New York 10007January 2, 2018
DEP offers competitive positions in a supportive work environment with great employee benefits. DEP is an equal opportunity employer (Male/Female/Disabled/Veteran) with a strong commitment to the diversity of their organization and workforce.
Great company if you’re not in collections north-tallman island
Stationary Engineer Electric (Current Employee) –  Tallman Island, NYDecember 30, 2017
Very cut throat, back stabbing...corruption runs rampant...no adherence to civil service rules....people who can’t pass civil service exam are kept in titles while others with more experience are forced out because they are viewed as a threat....these guys basically are stealing OT from NYC and the DEP does nothing about it...guys will sell their soul just to work OT because they live way above their means...multiple charges have been brought against chief and deputy with regard to workplace violence, harassment, intimidation....everything gets swept under the rug.
Productive Clerical work
Student Clerical Associate (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYDecember 20, 2017
My task at NYC-DEP was filing nuisance complaints for several residents whom lived near DEP water plants throughout the city. In addition, to representative work of making copies, answering phone calls and even visiting various locations
Pros
Office setting
Cons
Short breaks