New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene

New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene Employee Reviews

worst management
Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Long Island, NYFebruary 2, 2019
Too much politics. If you are management favorites, even if you don't work you'll get all kind of benefits and raises every year. Also, it's about nationality. Worst place to be at.. Even after working innumerous hours, my work wasn't recognized since I fall into different nationality.
Great Company
Freelance Producer / Director / Editor-Work (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 25, 2019
Good work environment. Good people. Since they were my client many of the questions asked do not specifically refer to my experience with the company.
productive work envionment
Director of Operations Healthcare Admin. (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 25, 2019
team work from top to bottom. management support for all staff. flexible work schedule and work locations.
Site specific tasks and jobs. Great leave/benefits
Pros
flexible work schedule
Cons
population serviced
This company is great!
Research Scientist and Assistant Lab Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 10, 2019
This company is great! If you are looking for a company that provides consistency, support, growth and complete services, this is the one for you!
With training and continuous offerings this environment is great!
Working hard and smart should be rewarded with respectable pay
Office aid/examiner (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 6, 2019
In my department everyone works really hard. When we have deadlines we get them done on time. I feel that for the type of work that my department does, they should get a proper raise including the director. People need to feed their families... Pay the staff fairly of what they are worth. No one works for free.
Good pay - decent work
Health Coach (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 4, 2019
Good pay for decent work within low income communities. Asked for constant feedback about the program and execution of it. Seasonal work, great as a side job.
A learning experience
Community Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 3, 2019
Working for the health department has made me more of an advocate for the community members living in an underserved community. NYC Department of health is interested in creating policies without practice. Fund sources are scarce and passing civil service exams are nearly impossible at 70 dollars per test. Waiting over 2 years to find out the results for exams and even longer to get called off an exam list. I do enjoy working with the creative staff in the office.
Always productive
Associate Public Health Sanitarian I (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 28, 2018
A typical work day involves supervising and responding to the needs of 18 public health sanitarians in the field in my unit in conjunction with two (2) other fellow supervisors. It also involves responding to food establishment owners who received complaint allegation letters from 311.
I learnt the ability to multitask and properly managed situation as well as good customer service relations from dealing with public.I like the work culture in my unit as it allows one to make decisions and no micro managing of staff thereby allowing for high productivity and commitment.
Every work day differs from the other depending on what the inspectors are encountering in the field. Some days involves the closure of more food establishments than the others. The most enjoyable part of the job is the satisfaction I derive from knowing that I am contributing to the health and safety of the public every day i go to work.
Public Health Advisor II (Current Employee) –  Long Island City, NYDecember 19, 2018
The workplace offers competitive benefits.

There is a strong work culture in this place.

Employees are proud of being part of this agency and they are very passionate about the job they do.

There are a lot of learning opportunities.
Good Place
Health Service Manager/Regional Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 5, 2018
I found that my time with DOHMH was a pleasant experience. Sometime a little not structured, but always fun, exciting, and unpredictable.

It was a great learning experience.
The Department of Health and Mental Hygiene
Public Health Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYDecember 5, 2018
A typical day at the Department of Health is generally very busy and often has positive impacts. Working for the Newborn Home Visiting Program has given me a sense of fulfillment, every time we are able to assist those in need.
Workplace Culture
Business Partner Recruiter/Community Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Long Island, NYNovember 27, 2018
This is a great place for employees with young children to work. Working for the DOHMH provides work life balance. You do have to take civil service exams but its not entirely bad.
Pros
Diversity
Cons
Need to take a civil service exam to be a permanent employee.
Office of Chief Medical Examiner
Customer Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  421East 26streetNovember 10, 2018
The customer service specialist work answering calls all day. You get mandated to stay another shift if someone calls out. You get mandated to come to work if you are off and there short off staff. Weekend and holidays. You get split days off. No teo days off together. You are essential meaning snowstorms extreme bad weather you must be there. Not worth the pay. Very stressful. The director makes it unbearable to work there. Micro managed. Only minorities work there no room for growth. Should only require a high school diploma.
Benefits
Cons
Low pay. Mandated work days
Provides autonomy
Public Health Nurse I (Former Employee) –  Staten Island, NYNovember 4, 2018
I am able to provide nursing skills to the local schools and community which I find to be very rewarding. In addition I am given various options within the DOH system to relocate and trying different job offers.
Its worst than a prison working for this employer
Office staff (Former Employee) –  CityOctober 26, 2018
When I was employed with them it was who they like was getting promoted if you were on their bad list they would do so much injustice to you that you would want to resign which I did. The bosses love kiss behinds if you not one of the ones that send kiss their tooch you not going anywhere meaning no advancement. They abuse you verbally and mentally. I cried every day at that job. I use to go hid in the bathroom to cry and basically ask God to get me through the day for 2 years straight, and you would shed weight with the injustice they would do. I would not wish this place on my worst enemy that is how cruel, cut throat, they would also throw you under the bus if they have to by fabricating false data on you which they are judge on just to tarnish your reputation as a worker. Every one is for themselves. If you are a kind hearted person than this place is definitely not for you, but if you are one who likes to cheat, stab people and don't care how they are been affected then you are the perfect candidate by all means apply. You would do fine than.
Pros
The fact that you save hours when you work you can reuse them if you sick or need a day off.
Cons
Nothing good.
Experience as an intern
HRTP INTERNSHIP (Former Employee) –  Long Island City, NYOctober 16, 2018
I was brought on to work on high-level projects in a data-support bureau. The work was interesting and the resources were available to learn, but required being a self-starter to learn quickly.
Pros
Pleasant office space
Cons
Slow-pace
Productive and good place to work
COLLEGE AIDE (Current Employee) –  Long Island, NYOctober 10, 2018
Working part time is not worth it because of the amount of taxes that would be taken out of your paycheck. But it is a pretty okay place to work if you are lookig to gain some experience and update your resume
Serving the greater good
Trainer and Outreach Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 8, 2018
The NYC DOHMH is a good place to gain practical experience on ways to conduct public health outreach. The workplace culture was not short of employee engagement woes, but employees collaborated to fulfill a common goal.
Pros
Cross collaboration with other city agencies, healthcare options, good community health initiatives
Cons
Classic bureaucracy, lack of workplace fairness
Great experience
College Aide (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 8, 2018
Advance my administrative skills here. Learned a lot that pushed me to complete my Masters. Very competitive and somewhat soap operaish. Experience 911 while working here and the aftermath. Will never forget picking up the pieces literally and carrying on after.
Pros
Great stepping stone
Cons
The upper management
Competitive
Social Worker (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 8, 2018
Secure if you have civil service status. On edge if you do not.
Mostly boring and not challenging enough. 9-5 and most of the time watching the clock. This is just my opinion coming in from a fast pace field.
Pros
Benefits and hours
Cons
Competitive

Ask a question about working or interviewing at New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.3InHerSight Score

3.2Personal Development

3.7Career Opportunities

3.1Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight