New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene
Here to help: Coronavirus update
Updates from New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene:

New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene Employee Reviews

United States322 reviews
Good
Good place to grow and expand. Good benefits, however, pay is rather low. Your experience would depend on the department you are employed under. Over a decent place to work.
Hello Every one there is a good jobs I need money for my family my mother my Father and my Dreams I hope your company full fill my dream
Iam very thamnkfull to you for this kinness
Racially hostile environment
No advancement opportunities. Most stay in the same position until retirement. Low office moral. Desk assignments are blatantly group by race. EEO liaisons are also city employee with long-standing relationships with upper management, which results in further discrimination and retaliation.
Public Health robots
I was a temp for 6-7 years. Typical scientist/public health mentality and data heads that look right through you.

I was tolerated as a quirky clerical assistant who functioned as a court jester and allowed a super flexible schedule. The temps in our/all? depts got fired when Diblasio term started.

The Communicable Disease Bureau was an exciting place to work. I'd love to be a fly on the wall now with the Coronovirus blossoming.
Modern office building. Good location for transportation.
Very productive and professional work site. Enjoyed working for the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene for years. Worked with professional and wonderful co workers.
Do you enjoy working at your company?
Help people considering your employer make a good choice.
Decent place to work at
Pros - Gives a workload flexibility. Could take it up as a mid/late career job or during part time studies.
Cons - Not many young people. Pay is below par.
Pleasurable
This place had great organization and the managers were well knowledgable. The environment was very clean and everyone respevted each other. I would highly recommend this place.
Work has registered nurse provide skills Nursing care for patient with H/O diabetes and HTN and cholesterol and mental health disorder. Work in school nursing.
Pros
Thanks
Cons
Thanks
Very good
Advancement and comfortable retirement program are very important. We can still provide reliable plans in place. It's not too late.
You have to dedicated because you have taken an oath which you must uphold.
Inclusive and care about the community
This organization cares about the community and their employees. It is a very inclusive and diverse organization. The organization make sure the employees have the resources they need to do the job.
Productive workplace with room for Growth.
Great place to work. The job provides you with the tools and training to do your job. Great benefits. Great balance between work and home life. Willing to Accommodate you in difficult times.
Temporary Job- Love it!
I worked with the DOH on a temporary assignment through Forum Services. I love it! I love the team Healthy Eating Unit and they were so nice and supportive of me.
Job security
There is a sense of job security here and also a high turnover where employee doesn’t stay more that 3-4 years. The supervisor stay much longer but there is also a lack of advancement
Management has deceptive tactics towards its staff. Not receptive to employees needs. Plays favoritism over and only promotes those they like but are less qualified.
Professional Work Space
A great place to work if considering government jobs. The people are all very nice and helpful, always open for questions and feedback, and the environment promotes strong work. Everyone is very professional and works in a timely manner.
Pros
Promotes a good work life balance
Cons
As a government job, do not expect anything like free food.
What I learned
I have had a lot of experience in different departments through the agency because of the awesome people I work with and as time goes on I know I will learn even more
Very Nice Team
People in the Department of Health were very nice and I really enjoy working with the wonderful team there. Hope in the future, there will be more jobs available there!
I enjoyed the people & the environment. My supervisor was attentive to her team's needs. We were given healthy snack options & were able to participate in great NYC events.
Excellent teamwork and understanding colleagues. I loved working there.
If I could work there again, I most likely would. I loved the work environment and everyone in there especially my supervisor. I was very happy and content with everything about the job. I miss it terribly.
Hbsc
working for public health solution has been one of the best I have ever work for I do their research seasonal every year we study all population and have meet some of the most interesting people. I have done many national surveillances with DOH and have alway enjoy each and every one of them.
Perfect if you just want a job and health insurance.
This department offers very little in the way of interest or challenge. You can work your tail off or sleep your days away it wont really matter as no one rewards hard work or reprimands poor work. The only thing that matters in this system is putting in your time.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene. Our community is ready to answer.
Ratings from women
InHerSight Score
3.3Personal Development
3.6Career Opportunities
3.1Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight