New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene

New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene Employee Reviews

Office of Chief Medical Examiner
Customer Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  421East 26streetNovember 10, 2018
The customer service specialist work answering calls all day. You get mandated to stay another shift if someone calls out. You get mandated to come to work if you are off and there short off staff. Weekend and holidays. You get split days off. No teo days off together. You are essential meaning snowstorms extreme bad weather you must be there. Not worth the pay. Very stressful. The director makes it unbearable to work there. Micro managed. Only minorities work there no room for growth. Should only require a high school diploma.
Benefits
Cons
Low pay. Mandated work days
Its worst than a prison working for this employer
Office staff (Former Employee) –  CityOctober 26, 2018
When I was employed with them it was who they like was getting promoted if you were on their bad list they would do so much injustice to you that you would want to resign which I did. The bosses love kiss behinds if you not one of the ones that send kiss their tooch you not going anywhere meaning no advancement. They abuse you verbally and mentally. I cried every day at that job. I use to go hid in the bathroom to cry and basically ask God to get me through the day for 2 years straight, and you would shed weight with the injustice they would do. I would not wish this place on my worst enemy that is how cruel, cut throat, they would also throw you under the bus if they have to by fabricating false data on you which they are judge on just to tarnish your reputation as a worker. Every one is for themselves. If you are a kind hearted person than this place is definitely not for you, but if you are one who likes to cheat, stab people and don't care how they are been affected then you are the perfect candidate by all means apply. You would do fine than.
Pros
The fact that you save hours when you work you can reuse them if you sick or need a day off.
Cons
Nothing good.
Experience as an intern
HRTP INTERNSHIP (Former Employee) –  Long Island City, NYOctober 16, 2018
I was brought on to work on high-level projects in a data-support bureau. The work was interesting and the resources were available to learn, but required being a self-starter to learn quickly.
Pros
Pleasant office space
Cons
Slow-pace
Productive and good place to work
COLLEGE AIDE (Current Employee) –  Long Island, NYOctober 10, 2018
Working part time is not worth it because of the amount of taxes that would be taken out of your paycheck. But it is a pretty okay place to work if you are lookig to gain some experience and update your resume
Serving the greater good
Trainer and Outreach Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 8, 2018
The NYC DOHMH is a good place to gain practical experience on ways to conduct public health outreach. The workplace culture was not short of employee engagement woes, but employees collaborated to fulfill a common goal.
Pros
Cross collaboration with other city agencies, healthcare options, good community health initiatives
Cons
Classic bureaucracy, lack of workplace fairness
Great experience
College Aide (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 8, 2018
Advance my administrative skills here. Learned a lot that pushed me to complete my Masters. Very competitive and somewhat soap operaish. Experience 911 while working here and the aftermath. Will never forget picking up the pieces literally and carrying on after.
Pros
Great stepping stone
Cons
The upper management
Competitive
Social Worker (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 8, 2018
Secure if you have civil service status. On edge if you do not.
Mostly boring and not challenging enough. 9-5 and most of the time watching the clock. This is just my opinion coming in from a fast pace field.
Pros
Benefits and hours
Cons
Competitive
very good place to work
Laboratory Associate (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 3, 2018
I love working for the DOHMH. The staffs are friendly and competent and benefits are great. Work environment is also good. Pus there are many opportunities of advancement.
Productive and fast paced environment
Office Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 23, 2018
I worked with different agencies everyday mainly ACS. we monitor children's development.
I answer all incoming inquires about the cases we open on a daily basis.
I supervise the clerical associate. Ive worked with them for 13 years and i went from secretary to office manager.
Pros
health insurance, benefits ok salary
Cons
no room for advancement
Educational work
Word Processor III (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 19, 2018
This position taught me many of the skills which I use today. When I was hired for this position I was pregnant with my first child. I selected the Health Department because of this. I was hired to work in the Immunization Department. A typical work day involved me fulfilling secretarial duties for three managers; one of who which was the doctor. I had to type, either transcribed or handwritten documents (which at times took extraordinary skills to decipher). I translated documents from English to Spanish; including the immunization booklet used in all health department clinics. I collected timekeeping documents from staff in all five boroughs and computed figures to be sent to payroll.

Want to know more about New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene?

Ask a question
Excellent
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NY 10016September 13, 2018
It is a great place to work. I was able to learn customer service skills along with gaining call center experience. I was able to have a flexible schedule so that I could attend school.
safe
Community Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 12, 2018
Work flow is very easy sometimes, dealing with vendors, and clients as well. We work for a lab that does test on a lot of viruses, therefore, we have to stay focus at all time to purchase any supplies needed.
learned new things
Office Assistant Intern (Former Employee) –  Long Island, NYSeptember 10, 2018
the environment is very relaxing, there are a lot of nice people who are willing to help you learn new things. The commissioner's goals for health equity matches the work thats put in everyday by the employees.
Pros
free lunck
Cons
short breaks
Great place if close to retirement
Special Consultant (Current Employee) –  Queens, NYSeptember 5, 2018
Autonomy is something you will not get here. There is a lot of bureaucracy as expected. Very limited growth unless you change bureaus. It is very top heavy here. Leadership dictates your role. There are a lot of lower level staff that do amazing work but there is very little recognition as leadership takes most of the credit. This is a great place if you are late in your career or just starting out.
Pros
Free healthcare
Cons
Leadership roles, lack of growth, very little promotions
great
Receptionist/Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 1, 2018
great job wish I could go back. great staff, non stressful environment. for old is manageable. management are very understanding. typical office work.
Fun Place to work
Food Inspector (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 8, 2018
This is temporary position because its a college aide position. I travel throughout the five boroughs and meet yet worked with some interested people.
Pros
Meeting new people
Cons
College Aide position
fun
Case Monitor (Former Employee) –  Long Island City, NYAugust 7, 2018
team work. the typical work day would be good and I learned a lot from my team mates. Management needs to understand that working with SW there is minimum supervision needed
The job is detail oriented.
Public Health Sanitarian (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 2, 2018
Tasks and standards of a Public Health Sanitarian involves conducting thorough daycare inspections, write detailed reports and accurate data entry. You are also a mandated reporter and child advocate.
Public Health Advisor (Current Employee) –  Long Island, NYAugust 2, 2018
NYC DOHMH might be a good place to work but I might not be in the right department. I don't feel challenged and there's no room for growth in my unit. I'm trying to branch out to other divisions but have not been successful as of yet. I'm hoping for a change soon.
Professional work staff
aide (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 31, 2018
A typical day involved distributing mail to different personell. keeping file cabinets organized. scanning and copying documents for administrative staff. Answering and directing phone calls. Participating in morning meetings every day.
my team was an excellent team.
Pros
team work was a must. enjoyable experience.
Cons
no cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

3.3InHerSight Score

3.2Personal Development

3.7Career Opportunities

3.1Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight