New York City Department of Housing Preservation & Development

New York City Department of Housing Preservation & Development Employee Reviews

Team is great, management and work, not so much.
GIS Specialist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 29, 2019
The GIS team are great people. They help you with any issue you may have to help you get your job done. The problem is, there isn't much work there. You can go months without a project and even those projects are minimal. Not a great place at all to advance your skill set. Though you have a lot of time for your own side training.
Pros
Team, Compensation
Cons
Work just in not there.
Like helping people with out heat & hot water
Inspector II (Former Employee) –  134 st ny nyJanuary 22, 2019
I like to help people suffering with problems with slumlords not providing the help that people need & were in tittle to it wasent fare so i would go out of my way to help for all the abuse that they are going thru... it just not fare to paying rent people I enjoy helping lots of people that went thue all thes problems that i was transfer to a bronx location cause of my good work on the clock in the basement for the boiler to profome the way it is. It takes by law 3 pins I would catch super puting. 10 to 15 pins when it was against the law to do but I would catch them doing. It so all alumlords & supers would fere me when I go to the buildings ...so I was in .NYC. & bronx ny I enjoined doing my job verry much. Tku.. .
Pros
Helping people & famely
Cons
Hated the bad landors. & bad supers
Wonderful place to work
Rent Increase Specialist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 30, 2018
Great environment and people. Excellent benefits. Opportunity to move up. Able to express opinions of projects and supervisors are supportive and work with you.
Housing agency for City
In Rem Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 25, 2018
This was 40 years ago when the City of New York was in bad financial shape and its housing stock was deteriorating, Our job was to manage and maintain the "in rem" tax foreclosed residential housing -- which was in terrible shape
money
Superintendent (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 18, 2018
at the time money was an issue with this company. the responsibility was minimal, needed more responsibility as a superintendent. limited opportunity to grow as a super. no contract work given at the time
Its feel good when you are helping clients
new york (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 1, 2018
Retrieved block and lot information from department of buildings. Made copy of important documentation, fax and answer phone calls. Prepared invoices, reports, memos and letters.
fast paced envoronment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 13, 2018
HPD is was a great start for me. It allowed me to obtain the necessary experience to move on and start my career. I look forward to revisiting the agency and applying for a managerial position.
Pros
travel
Great Benefits
Principal Administrative Associate (Former Employee) –  United StatesSeptember 12, 2018
I've been working for the City of New York for 20 years. I've since relocated to Connecticut and I want a change! I've had a great time with NYC HPD however change is great.
Pros
Great Benefits
A good place to work
Deputy Director (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 4, 2018
Very rewarding if you want to learn and grow in the area of creating affordable housing in New York City. Working with Tenants and developer can be challenging.
Cons
No room for growth
Worthwhile career
Scientist -Radiation Control (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 28, 2018
I advanced every few years and got promoted several times. Raises based on government contracts. Each time I got a degree, bachelors and masters, I got a promotion and raise! Great benefits as well!
What I learned
Technical Support Aide Supervisor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 15, 2018
Had the ability to develop leadership skills and meet some awesome mentors. Networking opportunities are plentiful at this agency.
What a wonderful experience
Decline Summary
Mortgage Analyst - Housing Placement Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 11, 2018
I truly have no review to provide. I am not someone who likes to summarize my employment experience. Thank you for the opportunity to do a survey about this agency.
Summary
(Support Staff) Code/Dismissal Request Unit (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMay 14, 2018
Fast pace environment, pay is very low. There's no room for growth, there's no structure. The travel for me isn't convenience, I have to travel and pay a toll and gas, that really adds up.
Pros
Health insurance
Cons
No growth
Good place to start your career
Housing Inspector (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 13, 2018
Good place to start your career. Good benefits. Some room for advancement. Technology is lacking very far behind and needs to update. High turn over depending on title.
Benefits
Cons
Salary, technology
Senior Programmer Analyst
Senior Programmer Analyst (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 2, 2018
Good environment. Happy to work there
Learn a lot, management is good, workplace culture is, no hardest no enjoyable days. Just like to come to work and my job.
Reasonable hours, vacation and sick leave.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NY 10038April 26, 2018
Overall, my years at HPD was satisfactory and fulfilling. The health benefits were especially helpful. My co-workers and supervisors were helpful and friendly. I belonged to a union that ensured I received raises commensurate with my titles and experience and that I had health benefits.
Fast paced
Community Coordinator-Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 18, 2018
HPD is a community based agency willing, able and committed to serving marginalized communities.
The New York City Department of Housing Preservation and Development (HPD) is the largest municipal housing preservation and development agency in the nation. The agency promotes the construction and preservation of affordable, high quality housing for low- and moderate-income families in thriving and diverse neighborhoods in every borough by enforcing housing quality standards, financing affordable housing development and preservation, and ensuring sound management of the City's affordable housing stock
Laid back and job security once permanent
Clerical Support (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYApril 13, 2018
Easiest job I've ever had because you stay with your work boundaries, you're dealing with the public which can be the only stressful part of the day. Sometimes co-workers can be very gossipy - but this part can be ignored. Most enjoyable is that you get your sick days and no one breathing down your neck.
Pros
Flex time
Cons
Nosey coworkers, not
City employment without true security
Community Associate/Liaison (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 21, 2018
Highly intense with low pay grade salary for the amount of work that’s done. No unity or true work ethics and the room for advancement is skewed by favoritism and based upon how well you work.
Pros
Health benefits
Cons
Low pay scale
Productive and employee friendly work environment.
Community Associate (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 17, 2018
Housing Preservation and Development is an excellent company to work for. Plenty of room for advancement. Training sessions are offered to help develop your work habits and learn the systems that are needed in order for you to achieve success.
Pros
Incentives within the department.
Cons
Union dental plan could improve.