New York City Department of Investigation

New York City Department of Investigation Employee Reviews

United States34 reviews
Great place to kickstart your career
This has been a blessing for me. For someone who majored in Criminal Justice and graduated with my Bachelor's Degree, this was the perfect place for me to get my feet wet and career started. My colleagues have made me feel right at home and I'm constantly learning a lot. I'll always appreciate the opportunity I've had working with The DOI.
Doi
Great place to learn the foundation of investigations and get a foot in the door to learn. However, not much room if someone is looking to advance their career.
Always something to do and friendly people
The employees are great, fun, and enjoy what they do. A gym is provided in the office building free of charge for employees and the building is in a beautiful part of NYC.
Fast paced, challenging work place.
New York City Department of Investigation is a great place to work if you are interested in law enforcement from a non traditional approach. DOI investigates fraud, waste and abuse throughout NYC and works to improve the way the city does business. I thoroughly enjoy working there.
Pros
City benefits, interesting work
productive department
The work place was like a family very busy I learned how to deal with people that's rude without getting upset , there were different type of culture in the department and it was like working with your family great people the hardest part of the jobs was making sure all the cases was done at the end of the day, the most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people and learning new things in the department.
Fast paced
Fast Paced work environment. Room for advancement. The hardest part is getting used to the culture of the agency, as DOI is different from any other city agency.
Great stepping stone
DOI is a great agency to learn a great deal about conducting investigations. It is a great stepping stone to pave the way of a great career in law enforcement.
Intern
While I had only been an intern at this department I loved every second of it! You are treated with a great amount of respect and you do actually perform some duties that investigators would perform.
Pros
Flex hours, relaxed office and free metro cards
Cons
Unpaid
Good Place
Great Place to work especially for new investigators who want to quickly obtain field experience in a team oriented organization that will offer lots of trainig.
Pros
Training, challenging work
Schools
Working as A NYC Detective I was offered the position. After a year I realized that I was investigating teachers who were not in the principles click. It was tough prosecuting good teachers because they left work 10 minutes early to take their kid to the Doctor, or would not sleep with the staff.
Great Work Enviornment
Everyone working here is friendly and works well with each-other. Everyone is there to get the job done and not focus on playing games or gossiping...
Pros
Doing the accounting and working with the manager
Cons
N/a
Great agency!
Great work environment; room for growth; learn a lot from the work;
really impact the public for the better through the work and services completed as part of job.
Low paying dead end job
Typical civil service dead end job. They don't pay overtime, they give you comp time at straight time. You're better off going on welfare, you'll probably make more money.
Ideal work enviroment.
The New York City Department of Investigations was the ideal work environment. They offered great training, pay and benefits. As a young recent college graduate and native new Yorker, I wanted to experience life outside of New York.
Pros
Great pay, training and benefits.
Great Work Environment
Great people, decent pay, and good work/life balance. It's a good place to work, but you have to enjoy city government. This means it can get slow and tiresome at times, but I found the work to be extremely rewarding.
harsh office politics and favoritism
Many are hired at DOI wide eyed, filled with excitement, ready to put their best foot forward, and work hard. The culture however thrives off of office politics and favoritism; in which the same people are assigned high profile or "juicy cases", while others are left to slip through the cracks with minuscule to no case work at all. Supervisors turn a blind eye to the toxic work environment or add to the toxicity themselves by playing favorites, gossiping, or not working at all.
Pros
good work life balance
Cons
toxic work environment
Slow-Paced with Silly Government Restrictions
My supervisor was fantastic but there are a lot of restrictions working for City government in terms of Human Resources and work. I was not paid enough for the workload and career advancement is limited.
Hard work
Rewarding work. Overall good people. You need to like to be on the phone or you're going to have a bad time at this job. Otherwise it's rewarding to work in.
New York Department of Investigation
Working with the NYC Department of Investigation was a great place to work. The Director of Fiscal Analyst was always there in case there were any problem and he is very knowledgeable.The culture was very mixed and all the staff were very helpful and pleasant. I enjoyed working with them.
Pros
Every thing about the company was very pleasant and a enjoyable place to work.
Cons
I have no Cons about the place because every thing was on point.
Great experience and learning opportunity
The DOI is a great place to begin your career if you are interested in law enforcement. Depending on what squad you are assigned to, you will be given tasks on current investigations. It's important to be computer efficient, have strong writing skills, and good social skills. The office staff is welcoming, supportive, and always pleasant to be around.
Investigative Workplace
This is a very dynamic and exciting workplace with highly experienced investigators and staff. The work was valued by superiors and highlighted in media announcements.