New York City Department of Mental Health and Hygiene

New York City Department of Mental Health and Hygiene Employee Reviews

great
Receptionist/Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 1, 2018
great job wish I could go back. great staff, non stressful environment. for old is manageable. management are very understanding. typical office work.
Hard-working Atmosphere
Secretary Lv. III (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 25, 2018
working on getting the eligible kids on the calendar for that following week. for there family meeting for services.

Shocking part is learning how important EI is need to so many different family and backgrounds.

The hardest part was telling a family that there is no services that we can help them with.
Pros
working with a group of dedicated people
Cons
No individual rewards for staff that work hard and extend them self.
Great Prople
City Pest Control Aide (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYFebruary 13, 2018
Nice co workers, very close friends and helpful, Lots of training and great bosses. Exciting people work here, meet new people and see lots of different things. Lot's of field work and always outside except when it snows. Very relax atmosphere and lots of good times.
Pros
Great People
Cons
non to think of
Terrible place
City Research Scientist (Former Employee) –  Long Island City, NYAugust 15, 2017
Working at DOHMH is a nightmare to be avoided at all costs. Unless you have a competent supervisor who likes you, you will always struggle. Everyone is out for herself! Really...find somewhere better to work.
Pros
Free insurance
Cons
The rules only benefit those who sleep at their desks.
Incompetent Management, subpar workplace
PHS (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 27, 2017
Management does not know what they're doing. Atmosphere of favoritism and political, behind-the-scenes maneuvering. The head of the org needs to get involved, to see the daily mismanagement (if she cares). Competence is not rewarded. Disgruntled employees are the norm, staying only for the benefits and pension. No fulfillment here, just trying to keep your head down and not get on anyone's bad side.
Pros
Healthcare
Cons
Incompetence, constant politics
slow but productive work environment
College Aide (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 27, 2017
sit in front of a computer all day which causes eye strain. other than that great place to work for consistency and balance...........................
Pros
hour lunch, weekends off
Its ok
Junior Public Health Nurse (Current Employee) –  Long Island City, NYNovember 2, 2016
The staff is great. Most of my co-workers were very pleasant to work with. Management is horrible. Management politics causes high turn over. The job is decent. Advancement is hard but possible.
Pros
Nice co-workers
Cons
Bad management
Bureaucratic nightmare
CAT team (Current Employee) –  Queens, NYMay 19, 2016
If you want to devote your entire career to civil service, slowly moving up the ranks and owing your life to the city, then this is for you.

The cubicle life and structure of management creates a feeling of captivity. I felt mostly that the strict roles and management got in my way (creatively, constructively) and didn't allow for much autonomy or respect for talent and abilities. The morale is generally low and turnover is high. You will be a cog in the wheel and will be overlooked and underutilized. The benefits are NOT that great. Sub par in-network doctors and 2 weeks vacation earned after 6-12 months probation.

Mostly importantly, do NOT WORK FOR THE CAT TEAM. The team leader is highly inappropriate, unprofessional and sets impossible standards to meet all while over-familiarity acting as a best friend to employees. She speakers negatively and inappropriately about others colleagues and then will smile to their faces. There have been 2 recent terminations in a 3 month period and would have been a 3rd if someone hadn't been transferred. Worse is that the management above supports these practices and doesn't do anything about the common denominator here. This management style severely limited the workers' abilities and undermined their talents. Find an agency where you can be recognized and respected and don't have to deal with permanent civil servants who negatively contribute to the workplace and cannot be removed.
Pros
Pension if you stay for your entire career
Cons
Cubicle life, lack of morale, high turnover, underutilized employees, monotonous workflow
Consistent work, friendly, learning new ways to solves problems everyday
IT Student (Current Employee) –  Long Island City, NYFebruary 16, 2016
Supervisor and coworkers are very helpful and friendly. Troubleshooting and resolving user's problems. Learned new ways to deal with software and hardware problems. Hardest part is when something you don't how to resolve a problem. Most enjoyable part of the job is helping other workers.
Pros
Friendly workplace
Cons
leniency
working at DOHMH
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 31, 2015
is was good working there because of helping the children and adults. However because of agency, there was lack of pay and insurance as well as hours.
Enjoyed working is such a family oriented environment they were accepting
PSC Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 12, 2014
The Department of Health is a refreshing place to work. There is not to much pressure and the staff is very family oriented. I enjoyed the activities that is offered such as watching movies during lunch with fellow employees, jump rope, and book club programs all for employees to enjoy while at work. The perks are great as well!
Pros
Experience working in the epidemiology department
Cons
assignment was too short
Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 13, 2014
A typical day at work would be me checking my email in the morning to see if any new memos was written. After that I would work on various departmental research projects; conducted in-depth field research in diverse New York City neighborhoods to identify students living in hazardous conditions. I learned how to develop and managed relationships with school principals and nurses; oversaw successful dissemination of key messages relating to immunization recordkeeping in assigned area. Management was great, and very patient. My co-workers were always supportive and helpful if I had any questions. I didn't have any difficulties while I was at the department of mental health and hygiene. The most enjoyable part of the job was learning about the various communities in New York City and the disparities that each community was faced with and trying to solve the problem.
Pros
Great work environment, Friendly people, Good work load
Great Work place
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 19, 2013
Learning experience. Great staffing as well. Most enjoyable part of working here was being able to use the different software to gain experience and the great staffing.
Pros
Great people.
Cons
No cons
It can be a fun and productive place if people do not make a easy job hard
Public Health Advisor Level 2- Team Leader (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 16, 2012
A typical day as a supervisor mean ensuring that the vision screening runs smoothly. Making sure classes arrive on time and paper work is completed. The hardest part of the job for me is dealing with different personalities on the team and in the various schools. The most enjoyabke part of the job is knowing that the students receive a comprehensive vision screening and referrals are issued.
Pros
the hours
Cons
fast paced
Helful and versertile
Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYMay 31, 2012
I worked there a part time, three days a week. I learned to be responsible when it came to puntuality, because my supervisor was very conscious of my being there on time. So I could say that thirough that job, I learned to manage my time wisely. I also learned to get along better with other people of different nationaliy. The hardest part of my job was taking posession of one assigment that another person who was there for a long time will cover when in reality I was suppose to be there. Eventually I had to speak to my supervisor who fixed the situation. The most enjoyable part of the job was the fact that I had the opportunity to help people by informing them about the place and the offer that the clinic had to offer. Also when they did not understand English, I had to translate for them and as a result they showed appreciatdion.
Pros
me and my co-worker got along very well, also with my supervisor
Cons
it was a volanteer job, and a part time.