New York City Department of Sanitation Employee Reviews

Strenuous, fast paced and overall great job.
Sanitation Worker (Current Employee) –  2509 Knapp streetJuly 18, 2018
Department gives all the benefits and pay is very on par with the cost of living of a big city. Retirement after 20 years of service. Working with multiple people.
Pros
Pay, vacation, Retirement
Cons
Working in all kinds of weather, being outdoors most of your work days.
Fun work place
NYC Sanitation worker (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn nyJuly 16, 2018
Average work day for a new york city sanitation worker is completing his, or her assign route. Dumping the truck. In snow emergency we r force to work more than our regular 8 hour shift. Fun environment most of the time.
Pros
6 weeks paid vacation
Cons
Civilians are always right for the most part, even when they are wrong
Principal Administrative Associate II (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 14, 2018
A decent place to work. Hours are decent but can change during snowstorms or winter time. Job responsibilities vary depending on whether or not you are a civilian or a uniformed employee.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Mandatory weekends required
All in all a decent place for a career
Snow laborer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 23, 2018
I appreciated the opportunity to work as temporary laborer removing the snow I wish the opportunity would have lasted longer I would have like to have transitioned to another position within company
Pros
Good work ethics and atmosphere
Cons
Bad rate of pay and no job security for temporary laborers
Great Job and benefits
General Superintendent Level II (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 31, 2018
Sky was the limit in regards to advancement with the Department. Family environment. Great salary, benefits and job security. Prides itself in serving
Pros
Job Security
Early starts, early ends
Automotive Engineer Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 4, 2018
Expect to show up for work at 6-7 AM. Leave about 8 hours later.
Expect to be very productive, answering phone calls. Learned there was much more to DSNY than just collecting garbage.
Internship Experience
Summer Graduate Intern - Software Programmer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 27, 2018
Good Experience with cutting edge technologies. Good work culture. Sufficient salary as an intern. Manager was nice and motivating. Co-workers were nice too.
fun and energy
Trash Collector (Former Employee) –  Long Island City, NYApril 26, 2018
boss starts the day off with a motivational speech to help me learn that if u work really hard you can accomplish many goals. Its a good place to work
Great Job
General Superintendent Level II (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 16, 2018
The Department of Sanitation offered me tremendous advancement opportunities as well as job security at any level I achieved in my 17 years of dedicated service.
Pros
Job Security
productive work
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Staten Island, NYApril 13, 2018
I liked the environment and respected the workers. I made sure the places I was supposed to clean were done well and was surprised to have had some of the SanitMen thank me for it. learned a lot about how the DSNY works. Good for them.
It's one of the best city agencies to be a part of.
Sanitation Worker (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYApril 5, 2018
It's hard work and can be very taxing on the body. You'll meet a wide range of people and you'll learn new things pertaining to the job and most of all you're making a career.
Pros
Great co workers will help you through the rough times
Cons
Supervision needs much work
Not a good job don't recommend
Sanitation Worker/Laborer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 10, 2018
Don't recommend unless it's your first job don't waste your go to DOT or MTA it's better . You have to work very weird hours . The place is stuck in the old days and many people their are ignorant.
Disgusting environment
Auto Mechanic (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 9, 2018
This is a terrible job!!! A bunch of racist in management!!! Managers are like bullies they pick on you!! Especially if you are a black (African American) provisional worker!!! They were very nasty no RESPECT !!! The Conditions were terrible!! All the buildings in the field (around the city) need to be condemned!!!! Some the guys who worked there were ok.. But the majority of people are strange and a bunch of dirty grease ball mechanics!!! The Zerega Ave location needs the to burned down!!! Overall this job pays good but the environment is terrible!! The majority of management needs the be revised!!!
An alright day
Custodial Trainee (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJanuary 28, 2018
As long as you get in and get your work done you were good. Too much of a gossiping environment and too much smoking inside the building. Only two days sick leave, if that and on going misplaced compensation. So you always need to look at your check and speak with payroll. No Bueno.
Pros
1 hr lunch
Cons
no overtime and only 2 sick days given thats not paid
very fun
Snow Removal (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYJanuary 23, 2018
The job was fun when working with the right people. The manager of the staff was always supportive and gave reasonable breaks and kept a good eye on workers, gave good equipment and guidance, and let no one behind. What I learned is that when work with someone responsible you are able to do your job most effectively and well done. The hardest part of the job is working with lazy people and the best is working at your own steady pace.
Pros
good breaks and good steady paced
Cons
some lazy workers
Snow Laborer
Snow Laborer (Current Employee) –  Harlem, NYJanuary 16, 2018
An typical day at working with older men and older women in have learned to work as an team. Team work make dream work. But me i like to work by myself i get things done faster. Sometimes you don't have to pick the snow up so fast you can pick it up slow.
Pros
trying to do everything by yourself
Cons
team work make the dream work
City Job good for benefits and pension but nothing else
SUPERVISOR (Current Employee) –  New York City, NYJanuary 15, 2018
Test-based promotions, ZERO meritocracy, almost solely based upon seniority. No room for fulfillment and a serious lack of advancement due to nepotism. Good salary, good leave amounts, but the system is flawed.
I like my job
Shoveling snow (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYDecember 10, 2017
it was a seasonal job I like doing it cause I like helping people I like helping my city also like to get up in the morning and get my job with a prob
Cons
hard work at times but some fun along the way.
Sanitation Worker (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 26, 2017
trying to keep the city clean and people happy. that no matter how hard you try people will complain about something. management like and profession you take the good with the bad. i've with bunch of great guy and from different background you get to respect the difference in people and a better understanding of their culture, the had part getting up in the morning to get to work especially during snow season. feeling a live again i work for the greats city in the world and i take pride that i or am worked for the best agency in the world. beside the usmc it was my honor to be one of nystrongest.
Pros
working for the best in nyc
Cons
need a better raise
My time with the NY Sanitation Department
Clerical Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 22, 2017
This was a temporary position,which did not live up to the title or duties of what was told to me about it when I accepted the position. I had to commute from NJ to NY in the dead of winter, and then had to make it back to NJ for classes which stared at 6:00 pm.
Pros
I met some interesting people.
Cons
Long commute, working in a dusty, dirty stock room when I came dressed to work in an office setting as an Administrative Assistant.