New York City Department of Sanitation Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
It was a back to work program
Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYOctober 4, 2018
I swept the city streets, and made sure that the trash was put into the right trash bags and trash bins. on every street corner in the neighborhood. for the day.
great work place
Sanitation Enforcement Agent (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYSeptember 25, 2018
great place to work and enjoy the type of work you do. a lot of traveling and meeting new people lots of paperwork and learning everyday co workers are great.
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYSeptember 24, 2018
i enjoyed working for sanitation the managemnt were very nice the hardest part of the job was carrying the heavy garbage cans the workplace culture they welcomed the jtps nicely
Pros
the supervisor was very nice
Cons
working outside in cold weather
Great Team
Operations Management Division Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 12, 2018
In Operations Division Management (OMD) there are plenty of bright and cooperative people who are willing to go the extra mile to help you understand and develop the skills necessary to execute a task.
Good
Deputy Director, Telecomm& Special Projects (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 6, 2018
Good but over worked. Very log days. Even worse during the winter months due to the weather. Worth it cause of the benefits. Medical and pension for starters
Pros
OT and get paid for it
Cons
Too much OT
I would not go back to work there unless absolutely necessary
JTP (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYSeptember 4, 2018
Stressful, Somedays I would not get to have lunch, not too many workers when I was working there with the same job title as me. There was no lounge area for me when I come in the morning or at the end of the day. Most of the Sanitation men were respectable.
Pros
less supervision
Cons
barely any lunch breaks
fun workplace.
Job Training Program (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYAugust 29, 2018
load the van. drive around with supervisor and crew to sweep different locations. great supervisor. Hardest part of the job was working in the snow and cold weather. Most enjoyable part was meeting new people,
Pros
great supervisor, crew members
Cons
only six months program
I enjoyed the experience but my heart is in medical
Temporary Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYAugust 28, 2018
If your willing to work hard you’ll benefit a great deal working with the New York department of sanitation! I would have loved a permanent position with them unfortunately my position was temporary.
Pros
Pay, benefits, and retirement equally awesome to me
Cons
If your lazy this job is not for you
Operations Management Division Intern (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 26, 2018
maintenance
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYAugust 15, 2018
good job to work for relaxed enviornment no job security worked only 2 to 3 day a week and 4 hour day because of the temporary position i was hired for but enjoyed it
Pros
relaxing enviornment
Cons
no job security
Great learning curve on how New York City operates.
Special Events Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYAugust 11, 2018
Sanitation is a very busy operation with monitoring trucks for garbage pickup. In addition, we are equally busy with preparing for Parades and Special Events, Presidential Visit, Street Fairs and various events for the 5 boroughs.
Pros
Liase with Mayors Office and NYPD
Cons
Working 12 hour shifts during snow season.
temp job
Emergency Snow Removal (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYAugust 2, 2018
Its a great job if you're looking for a temp job for the winter. The more hours you do, the more money per hour you make. Only downfall about the position is it have to be a bad winter to really be able to make money with them.
I would do it all over again
Sanitation worker (Former Employee) –  Manhattan/Bronx, NYAugust 1, 2018
Best job in the city... working 3 hours and getting paid for 8. Also, getting a check every week. Pension is fantastic. Had work if you don't mind working in the elements....
Benefits
Cons
12 hour snow days
Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJuly 31, 2018
I would recommend to anyone.The co - workers are good to work with. It's one of the best jobs I ever had. If I can work permanent I would. So it does come up. In going to apply.
Pros
Good job
Cons
Sesonal job
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  New York StateJuly 31, 2018
A job that I would recommend to a lot of people. That staff works with you co- workers go to work and what needs to be done. It's been awhile since I worked with a good ten like this before .
Pros
Great staff
Cons
Could be more cleaner
okay job
Administrative Assistant / Secretary (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 31, 2018
the only real benefit is the security of having a job. Other than that, if you didn't have the luxury of getting a degree or getting your name off of one of the city tests, it's nearly impossible to advance.
Good
SNOW LABORER (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJuly 27, 2018
Hard-working job I think I could grow at this job honest worker always good to help others quick learning a good listener I will do overtime at any time
Cons
I really like working outdoors
Seasonal Sanitation Worker (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJuly 27, 2018
Working with the Sanitation Department, I learned to appreciate being a participant in helping to keep the city clean, I learned the importance of the Sanitation Department.
Pros
working outdoors
Cons
heat-waves
Experience at sanitation
Auto Technician (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 24, 2018
My experience with sanitation was ok but was very stressful as i was working nights and far away from home. Management at night was all over the place and was very unorganized.
Quick paced job but fun as well
Street cleaner (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 20, 2018
The hardest part of this work is getting there. It is a great environment for getting to know new people with similar life goals. I believe anyone can do this job.