New York City Department of Transportation
82High

New York City Department of Transportation Employee Reviews

United States208 reviews
I enjoyed working at the NYC Department of Transportation. I was hired as the Deputy Director of Recruitment. I got to travel throughout the United States to recruit civil engineers, which was at the time considered a hard-to-fill position. I was later promoted to Director of Training. I enjoyed every day on my job, meeting several challenges in a nurturing environment.
In the beginning the company was very disorganized and supervisors were not properly trained. When I left, improvements were made and departments were functioning well. I appreciated that the offices were always cleaned and sanitized
I enjoyed working in the mail room. It was a lot of fun to work there. It was a great experience and I enjoyed every moment of it ad well. The people were very nice to work with as well.
The best place to work for beginner engineer. If you would like to learn more, you better start your job here before going to the real world. you will definitely have more experience
Any job is good to have for quality of life. This agency has its pros and cons and you have to know if it is for you or not. Most love city jobs but it is not for everyone.
Care to share?
Help people considering your employer. Share your experience.
A typical day at work would incorporate Productivity and learn new things.
The hardest part of the job is managing time with so many new things and databases to follow.
Great work environment, but on city pay. Lots of flexibility, good hours, and nice people. Management is great but things can be slow from time to time.
Objective: Seeking to advance my career as a Professional Engineer at the New York City Department of
Transportation, where I can use my 8 years of experience in Municipal and City Traffic Operations to help the

city achieve its goal of excellence in providing safer streets for New Yorkers. I am a dedicated and detail-oriented

employee who thrives in a fast-paced environment.
A typical day of work involves phone calls, meetings, coffee, and strategizing. Sometimes there are site visits. Workplace culture is fantastic. Everyone that I have the pleasure of running into are kind and welcoming. I learn something new everyday, and the location is very close to many locals restaurants, cafes and shops. There's also a store and cafe downstairs in the same building.
I loved working for the DOT but the schedule was just not for me. Everyday was different. As a bridge operator you get to be by the water all of the time. Only downside is is that it can get pretty lonely,.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at New York City Department of Transportation?
Best employer reliable and friendly environment. Staff goes above and beyond to help to each other out. All work tools and vehicles are the most up to date and very well maintained
What i feel is this job gives you a good benefits and steady work without any ups and downs. It was boring for me after 6 months as there was nothing innovative or new thing to learn. Also the work environment is boring as most of the employees are quite aged and all they care about is there retirement plan and Overtime.
DOT is a great place for interns and no-experience students. They can gain a lot of skills. It's just, if you want to change your direction, for example from quality assurance to software development, it's hard to change.
Great place to work great benefits and & everyone working there treat you with open arms multi culture and we would recommend it to anyone.. who enjoy working outside in all incremented weather..
I am intelligent,head working and creating.I tend to grasp difficult problems very quickly and work out solutions just as quickly also I have patience,perseverance and sense of humor
Great Place to work. Like any other government job, there is a lot of red tape associated with everything. My management team was great, but others were more problematic.
Pros
Nice Office location on the East River
Cons
Na
A normal work week consisted of checking in with the supervisor to get help or give an update on current project. Changing any infrastructure in NYC, there will be people who agree and those that don't. Of course has someone who as the power to make a change that will affect people's lives; one need to interact with the public to get a better idea on how to move forward. One of the most important thing I learnt is that New Yorkers are just as important in decision making as the organization personnel who is adding or removing an infrastructure that will affect public. What was enjoyable is, communicating with my fellow coworkers and supervisor.
I worked as a sub consultant on a project on the Brooklyn Bridge. The client was the DOT I have no bad experiences working there only good memories. Great opportunity for advancement.
Currently NYCDOT pays fair, great benefits, room to grow, challenging projects and work satisfaction. Good culture. Coworkers and supervisor were respectful, helping culture.
This is a government job so things move slowly. The benefits are great, but it can take a very long time to be called in to work. I interviewed in February 2014 and wasn't called in to work until October 2014. Some boroughs are more relaxed then others, and if you want to transfer to a more convenient borough it's probably not going to happen.
I loved working there and didnt want to leave bit it was a functional move the city called it and moved me to the board of education, I have been trying to get back into the Department of Transportation since 2007. I am interested in a transfer move from a Clerical Associate lll, to a Clerical Associate IV but not as a lateral move
Ask a question about working or interviewing at New York City Department of Transportation. Our community is ready to answer.
Ratings from women
InHerSight Score
5.0Personal Development
5.0Career Opportunities
5.0Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight