New York City Fire Department Employee Reviews

Great experience
Personnel Representative (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJanuary 3, 2019
I learned a lot at the FDNYC. this job taught me a lot to move on to NYC DDC, I receive the training to become a supervisor which helped me with my new position at DDC
Pros
Great Training
Cons
Great job but all about timing
Associate Project Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 21, 2018
Your salary is based on civil service exams that come far and few between. If you work hard, you will be compensated. Great working enviroment and great managers.
Pros
Hours, vacation
Cons
lack of new technology
Wamt to spend more quality time with my husband and kids
Fire Alarm Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 23, 2018
Working for the fire department is a good opportunity to help the public. I really enjoyed what I do. However having a family takes a toll on you, especially working long hours with kids under the age of 5. I'm just looking for a job where I can help people and spend quality time with my family.
Pros
Able to make good money
Exciting Dangerous Pure Special and Fun
Firefighter (Former Employee) –  Ladder 18 Lower East Side ManhattanApril 11, 2018
New York City Fire Dept was second to none . Wonderful special job, You had to be on the ball and always be alert. There was always a great feeling you felt when you came to the aide of somebody in need .
Pros
Second family life
Cons
Seeing the pain in those affected by Fire
The Best Job I Have Ever Had
Emergency Medical Technician (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 16, 2018
The camaraderie was amazing and have never experienced anything like it before or after. The initial and on going training is the best in the world. The character and integrity which everyone performs their work is exemplary for the world to take note, study, and replicate. The satisfaction of a job well done and being able to make the difference in someone's life has no comparison.
Pros
Camaraderie, Training, Satisfaction of a job well done and making the difference in people's lives.
Cons
N/a
Great Career
Lieutenant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 15, 2018
Very rewarding career, good benefits, great place to make a difference. The compensation could be better, but the hours are flexible and there is room for growth.
great place to work
Div Staffing Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYFebruary 27, 2018
please see resume for an Idea of the day to day job functions and responsibilities. It was a wonderful place to work, the hours the job the environment was great
Great job excellent benefits
Firefighter (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 25, 2018
great job with a good salary , promotion is based on standardized tests. Schedule allows for a lot of time off. The job can be very physically demanding at times and very stressful.
Pros
good salary excellent benefits
Cons
Fast paced quick thinking work
Emergency Medical Technician (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYFebruary 22, 2018
Responded to dispatched emergency assignments quickly and safely.
Assessed patient condition through physical and verbal exams and by collecting information from others at the scene.
Monitored patients for changes, and reviewed and revised plans accordingly.
Demonstrated high standards of performance, including teamwork, communication and compassion.
Long hours during state emergencies.
Stressful at times.
Pros
Helping people in need
Cons
Sometimes very long hours
city agency
Deputy Director of Support Services (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJanuary 24, 2018
civil service job
advancement in management positions are rare
benefits and time off are unmatched
culture is political
input is rarely asked for
good co workers, trying to do well
Pros
great benefits and time off
Cons
city agency/political
The job is very intense
Fire Alarm Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 9, 2018
I have no real comment about the fire department. The job overall was wonderful. The people and management however is a different story. There is a lot of cut throat activity that goes on.
Pros
Money
Cons
No empathy, no compassion, no team work
Its a City Job that has benefits
Emergency Medical Technician D (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 19, 2017
Its a city job with benefits. Until EMS gets pay parity its better to be part of Fire Suppression. It is very fast paced, high stress and demanding,..
Saving lives
Paramedic (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 18, 2017
FDNY has been a great career for me, but i have earned my degree and its time to move on. I dont really know what else you want me to say about working here.
Pros
Saving lives
Cons
Paycheck
it was the best and toughest 25 years of my life
Emergency Medical Technician (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 9, 2017
the retireement policy and pay needs improvement.management needs improvement.does not take care of their own when die in line of duty.will not retire you if perminantly injured
Pros
great benefits/retirement
Cons
the worst beaurocracy in the world
Easy laid back place to work
Civilian Motor Vehicle Operator (Former Employee) –  Long Island City, NYSeptember 3, 2017
Easy laid back place to work with great people who always made sure i was safe and looked out for. Would absolutely recommend for a young person to apply for any civilian position within the dept.
Tough job with great satifaction
Emergency Medical Technician (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 31, 2017
Respond to 911 emergency call and treating the sick and injured. Learned to deal with many different cultures and their beliefs. Worked with people of different nationalities.
One of the hardest parts of the job was to have someone you tried so hard to save die. My biggest joy was delivering a baby.
Best job in the world.
Assistant Private Investigator (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJuly 26, 2017
The New York City Fire Department is by far; the best job in the world. I spent twenty years (between EMS and Fire) and absolutely loved it. The hours are flexible, the brotherhood is like no over and the excitement and gratification of saving lives is the most rewarding feeling you will ever experience. There's a twenty year retirement pension and opportunities to obtain college credits while employed with the department. In addition, there are numerous units to pick from to advance in this career choice.
Pros
Great salary, brotherhood, stability.
Cons
No Cons
Comfortable work environment, friendly atmosphere
Accounts Payable Representative (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJuly 19, 2017
The FDNY is a good job to learn all facets of public policy and service. It is a dynamic agency in many areas of public needs. They are many departments; some complex and busy in nature: Fiscal, revenue, payroll, health, prevention, legal, records, and various related departments. I have worked in many departments in my career. One of the most busiest places was revenue management. You're face to face with people who need you the most--the general public. My greatest reward came with solving payment and licensing proplems. You always want to allow the customer to leave satisfactory with the proper license or paperwork in their hands. They will remember you as a supervisor and will remember the courtesy and professionalism that I demonstrated daily. It is a good feeling when you know you've done an oustanding job in servicing the people in NYC.
Pros
Stree free environment
Cons
Advancements are slow
NYC Politics
Community Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 16, 2017
NYC Fire Department is a great place to work. It is a friendly and family like environment, but there is not much room for advancement. The Civilian level in the office like most Civivl Serivce employers require a test for promotion, however the test do not co e out often. Civilian positions such as Clerical, PAA , and Community Coordinator are so few that learning something outside of your unit is nearly impossible.
Pros
Friendly and laud back atmosphere
Cons
No room for advancement
Productive and educational workplace
EMT Instructor (Former Employee) –  9 Metro tech plaza, Brooklyn NYFebruary 28, 2017
I truly enjoyed my time with the FDNY, I learned a lot and grew into a more rounded person who learned to accept change happens at any given moment
A typical work could vastly vary depending on where I was working.
( either on the ambulance, teaching, or curriculum development)
The workplace culture always varied but there was a lot of laughing but always getting the days tasks accomplished.
The hardest part of my job would be to see a student fail because they just couldn't get it. or to see the loss of a young life.
most rewarding part of the job was bringing new life both into the services and into the world , see a student have that ah ha moment
Pros
being self directed
Cons
never knowing for sure when you were getting off work that day