New York Edge Employee Reviews

Review
Assistant Director (Former Employee) –  Woodside, NYFebruary 19, 2019
The work life balance is not very good and management is not in tune with employees. The programs are the driving force of the organization. The middle management staff truly are invaluable
Don’t bother with this company
Group Leader/Counselor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 12, 2019
I have never worked for a company as horrible as this. They used to be called Sports and Arts in Schools Foundation but had to “rebrand” because the name was synonymous with a lot of negative reviews. The people in headquarters are NO help. They often mess up your pay and don’t help you out when you are trying to fix it. Honestly you are better off working retail. They say how they promote within but when you try to get promoted they give you the run around. Also the culture at this company is horrible. They tend to keep horrible staff who are always on their phones and call out all the time. I never hated a job more than at this company. HORRIBLE! STAY AWAY!!
Cons
Everything is horrible
Horrible work culture
College Advisor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 12, 2019
There arent enough hours for a substainable living. It is very disorganized and inconsistent. You can literally work for one hour a day maybe even less and not get compensated for your commute. Furthermore there is a lack of communication between the staff and the workers so the turnover rate within the agency is high.

If you want workers to stay. Improve the program so that the workers can work decent hours with proper pay. And improve management for promotional opportunities, lack of communication creates discourse within the agency.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Low pay, lack of hours, poor management, lack of supervision, no opportunities for growth
NY Edge
Visual Arts Specialist (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJanuary 20, 2019
its very relaxing to be around kids, you get paid more than minimum wage and it is worth your time. you are given opportunities to go on trips etc. its good
Stressful and Poor Management
Assistant Director (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYJanuary 3, 2019
The compensation and benefits are good but the lack of support from the agency is little to none. With an emotional taxing relationship between Principal demands, agency demands, and funders. High turn-over rate within the agency.
Pros
Paid Days Off, Working off of DOE schedule, and Compensation
Cons
Emotional Taxing, Long Hours, Extra traveling
Great as a temporary job
Tutor & Counselor (Current Employee) –  Queens, NYJanuary 2, 2019
Great as a temporary job but difficult to contact management, lack of job security, inconsistent hours and unpaid holiday. Also you may work at a different school or site every term
Pros
Friendly Co-workers and chance to mentor kids of different ages
Cons
Inconsistent hours, unpaid holidays, lack of job security
its an okay job
Sports Specialist (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYDecember 20, 2018
there's not much i can say for only working 3 hours a day its not an ideal job but gets you what you need from a day to day basis. the management is nice
Great work enviroment!
Sports Specialist (Current Employee) –  Springfield Gardens, NYNovember 29, 2018
Working with Junior High School kids as intramurals, sports specialist is so much fun, yet challenging.
Teaching a wide variety of sports makes me a diverse leader, to where I can reach these kids.
Mismanaged
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Woodside, NYNovember 19, 2018
A lot of nepotism and mis-management. There are plenty of people in power positions who have no experience. There is no real room for growth and you don't really learn much.
pocket change money
Tutor/Counselor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 14, 2018
well ive been with them for 7 years with no advancements
the office is not a place you want to go to. since i love kids I enjoy working with SASF but i feel like kids arent having enough fun like they used to.
Fun Work Place
Dance Specialist (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYNovember 8, 2018
My fellow employees and boss are fun and we are treated as people. We know that there's time for work and there's time for play and when it's appropriate for one and not the other.
Pros
we start at 1
Cons
short hours
A Difficult Place to Work
Group Leader (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYOctober 25, 2018
Sports and Arts in Schools Foundation/New York Edge is an over-funded, over-grown bureaucracy. I worked at one of their sites and this is my experience.
1. Terrible allocation of resources. Our site needed a laptop computer so we applied for the funds to receive said computer in January. After a huge amount of back and forth, sometimes when they told us they were going to buy it and sometimes when they said they weren't, we still didn't have a computer at the end of the school year (July). Turns out they have so many expensive items (that must be ordered through the main office) at the main office that there was no space to keep an extra computer. Essentially, sites would order these "big-ticket" items then never pick them up, so we couldn't get a computer. And this is just one example of the many inefficiencies present throughout the organization.
2. Inefficient and useless training. To attend certain events and work at a site, every employee must be trained. This sounds great, but the training is essentially hours and hours of wasted time. I don't think I learned anything that couldn't be conveyed in an email during these trainings. Furthermore, we would sometimes be required to make a trip out to Queens for an hour-long meeting. While some employees could do this trip in a short amount of time, others spent hours on the subway for these useless meetings. This was a source of constant frustration for everyone at my site.
3. Insufficient support systems and personnel. Some employees at our site left for various reasons so we requested that the central office hire more personnel
  more... to fill in their spots. Unfortunately, the HR department was so poorly staffed that they were behind on hiring for sites other than ours. So it took two to three months to fully fill our team, which is crazy when there's a ratio for a required number of adults per group of children.
4. People who are ignorant or just don't care. We were asked many times to do things that would completely overburden certain employees at our site. Instead of being understanding, management doubled down when we pushed back. Some sites simply refused to do the requested work. It was totally crazy.
5. Difficult to advance. I had a friend who had been working at SASF for years. Unfortunately, he did not get along very well with the manager above his manager, so in all that time he had not gotten a raise. To devote that much time to a company and never receive compensation always seemed unfair to me.

Overall, I agree that this is a good temporary job for recent graduates or people who are raising kids and looking for a second income. However, new employees should be wary about expecting long-term careers at this company.
Pros
Experience working with kids, fun trips, and great coworkers
Cons
Management, resource allocation, compensation, career advancement, support staff
Met a good number of very committed individuals who want to help children and families.
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 6, 2018
I was interested in working with Principals of elementary schools in high needs areas of Harlem and the South Bronx in New York City. I worked for the schools that were selected by Sports & Arts in Schools, now NYEdge that had the funding to run after school programs. My interested was to confirm that well run after school programs are critical for helping to improve low performing schools and provide a valuable service to parents and children.
Pros
N/a
Cons
Lots of Travel in NYC
Great job
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYAugust 28, 2018
Good for a college student or someone in between jobs. A lot of great ways to help mentor the youth of New York. Fun and very fulfilling job with a ton of trips for the kids.
Toxic work environment with no room for growth
Director (Current Employee) –  Woodside, NYAugust 21, 2018
Terrible place to work if you like to have input on systems and policies. This place is great for those who like to be told exactly what to do. No place for innovation.
Pros
Panera Bread for luch
Great working place!
Organize, lead (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 13, 2018
Great working place.

If your a college student they work around you schedule and you actually have fun working there that time goes by extremely fast
Pros
Can help you alot even if you have a personal business
Cons
Wish I wad given at lest 7 hours per day
Fun Workplace
Tutor/ Group Leader (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYAugust 4, 2018
The job give you the opportunity to interact and develop new relationships with young children. It gives you the chance to take part in the growth and development of young children.
Great Company
Recruiter (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 16, 2018
Good work and life balance. Good management and a great place to grow as a professional. I love working here. The company is one that follows it´s mission
Pros
Awesome environment
It all depends on who your site director and program manager is
Sports Assistant Director (Current Employee) –  Jamaica, NYJuly 5, 2018
I have had many experiences working here. Each was different. In the last year, I think it has been my worst. My current site director has been a detriment to the school and program.
Pros
being able to work with great kids and help them become great human beings
Cons
inadequate and under-qualified site director
Productive Place
Tutor/Counselor (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NY 11212July 2, 2018
First i would come in between 1-2. Then I would start to create a lesson plan or activity for the kids to do for the day. Then i meet up with the kids at lunch. Make sure every kid eats then we go to classrooms for activities. Then at 5:00 we bring the kids down for dismissal.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at New York Edge. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.0InHerSight Score

2.8Personal Development

1.8Career Opportunities

1.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight