New York Film Academy Employee Reviews

Summer Camp with Tweens
Teacher's Assistant/Video Editor (Former Employee) –  New York, NY 10004August 30, 2018
Your co-workers are fun and cool. It was also a pretty relaxed work environment. It was fun working with the kids, but it's not a sustainable way to fund a living.
Creative environment
SCREENWRITING INSTRUCTOR (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 22, 2018
New York Film Academy is a great place to work. I enjoyed working with the students and helping them shape their stories.
The student population is very diverse.
Interesting Place to teach and develop courses
Instructor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 15, 2018
The environment and location are fine. The studnets make the teaching experience what is the best about the school. They are active and engaging. The administration wavers and good have better structure and job security for their Instrcuros and Staff.
Pros
International Student Body, Hands On Approach
Cons
No Dedicated Schedule, No Room for Moving Up
poor higher management
Registrar (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 13, 2018
Top managers making poor decisions in the company. They invested in a very expensive new school database and after going live for 4 months, they pulled the plug and decided not to use it.
Employees were upset and stressed with this entire transition.
Pros
great location
Cons
horrible upper management, poor customer service
Hard place to succeed at
Professor (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 29, 2018
Its a hard micromanaging job. But has its benefits. Its nice when you can help students succeed that was a great part of the job. But upper management was hard to deal with.
a good place to be creative
Film Teacher (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 8, 2018
I love New York Film Academy for the culture of work and the possibilities given to the instructors to be creative and explore new ideas. On the other hand the work done in the institution is well valorized and promoted.
I loved the people I worked with.
Staff is great
Digital Editing Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 17, 2018
The staff is full of professionals who can help you outside of work. The students are cool as well. The pay is not much but that can be expected for a TA.
Part-time work
Technical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 11, 2018
This job is great if you don't have any bills to pay or a family to feed. I was able to plan my work days around the freelance schedule that is my main source of income.
Loved this job and being a part of this school
Film Instructor (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 10, 2018
Every place you ever work had its challenges. The hardest part is the grwoing pains, but it's coming together. Love the staff, love my fellow workers. I highly recommend working here if you are passionate about teaching. I can't speak for regualr staff, this is as a part time teacher in the MA, BFA, and summer programs.
Pros
Rewarding work
Cons
Lots of unpaid outside work
Very Interesting Work Place.
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 26, 2018
This job paid decent, but the office had a lot of issues. The Director was very mean to the employees and it was very stressful. It was very stressful and everyone in the office was on pins and needles. Now things may have changed due to new management.
Pros
Decent Pay
Cons
Horrible Managament
fun place to be
Editing (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 16, 2018
amazing school super fun! everyone is super Nice and really helpful everyone knows what they're doing super fast paced school. every teacher is good at what they do. a lot of programs and lots of things to learn.
Summer work good for students of film and media
N.Y., Summer Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 15, 2018
The Summer Teaching Assistant job is good for students who study film and media because it pays $15 and hour and they get to teach and practice their skills. They also get to network with other like-minded people in the field, but the program is only for 6 weeks and unless you work for the Tweens program, you don't get a lot of hours throughout the day and the week. Also, they want good publicity, and for this they want you to step in and make sure that kids make good and quality short films. In another words, they want your input technically and creatively without giving you proper credit for it.
Pros
Networking with people like-minded.
Cons
Short term job. No benefits. Not well paid for people with an advanced degree.
Productive enviroment
Second Assistant Camera (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYMarch 12, 2018
quick paced, can be stressful but very beneficial and hands on. Time manageable and can be very fun sometimes to relieve the stress. Will leaarn skills in editing, screenwriting, and directing
Ownership is Incompetent
Admissions Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  17 Battery Place NY NY 10004March 4, 2018
College for the Arts, awful ownership that doesn't care about its employees, except for a few, students are truly ripped off since their liklihood at a career is next to nil, school is not well respected by the industry
Pros
Good pay, ok benifits
Cons
Bad management, evil work environment
Flexible and Fun Work Place
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Burbank, CAFebruary 20, 2018
I am an office assistant at NYFA and I love my job. It is very much a team environment and I a lot of my co-workers have turned out to be some great friends of mine. I am also a full-time student at my local community college and the management team has been extremely flexible with my schedule. They are understanding if I need to leave early or come in late, as long as they work is done. The days go by quickly because everything is done at such a fast pace which can sometimes be a little stressful. Overall I have enjoyed my experience here and hope to be a part much longer.
Pros
Health Benefits, 401K, Fun Working Environment and events
Cons
Fast pace work environment
Nyfa
Staff (Current Employee) –  Burbank, CAFebruary 20, 2018
I've worked at NYFA for a few months. I have really enjoyed it. The staff and faculty are always very friendly. I have learned a lot in my field. They are very flexible with schedules, and I can't wait to learn more.
Pros
friendly staff/faculty
Cons
parking
Well paid for a teaching job
Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) –  Burbank, CAFebruary 15, 2018
If you are looking to teach a few hours a week, this is a good option. I don't think there are many positions as a full time instructor and you don't get benefits other than access to 401K.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
Student quality varies quite a bit
Sweat Shop "Art Skewl"
TA (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 18, 2018
Shuffle clueless international students in and out of the programs as quick as possible, sweat shop factory level educational institute.

Save your time and money.
Great Seasonal Gig
Seasonal Film Instructor (Former Employee) –  Celebration, FLJanuary 5, 2018
Probably one of the most fun gigs I've worked in a very long time. I worked as a teacher for their summer film camp program. Classes were taught at the Bohemian Hotel in Celebration, Florida with student projects being shot at the Disney Backlot. The downside was that it was a seasonal gig.
Pros
Fun work, great people, like being on vacation and paid well
Cons
Only seasonal work, very difficult to get regular
Nice place, great location.
Adjunct Instructor, Film Department (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLDecember 28, 2017
Nice place, prime real estate location. Parking is a big problem and is costly. Competent teachers. Some are great people and some are back stabbing jokeying for an advantageous position.
Spoiled-brat students, some with a sense of entitlement, not willing to follow course requirements.
Pros
Good classrooms and technology.
Cons
No job stability, no benefits, lack of meaningful communication and helpful feedback from manager, No oportunities for advancement as PT instructor.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at New York Film Academy. Our community is ready to answer.