New York Film Academy Employee Reviews

High-level management keeps changing game play and using different standard to different employee
Department Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Burbank, CAApril 2, 2019
Some really good employee that really love to and want to help students.
Political gameplay with certain parties (or departments) that make the company cannot keep the great employee stay.
Pros
The company encourage employee works on individual entertainment project outside the office
Cons
political gameplay with personal favor
Fun Place to Work!
Academic Assistant (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 27, 2019
I love working at NYFA! Students are brilliant, motivated, and eager to learn. I love working with their creative projects. Co-workers are helpful and friendly. Overall, the environment is energetic -- you've got students planning film sets in the hallway, teachers meeting with pupils after class to go over their assignments, admins touring prospective students around. Everyone is working on something exciting. Also, hands down the most diverse school I have ever worked in.
Pros
Awesome students!
Cons
Hours wax and wane with the semester
Great place to work and grow
Chair (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 27, 2019
If you do your job well and want to grow within the company you can. The upper management are wonderful and ethical people. There is a reputation of them not being and I have not experienced that in the 4 years I have been with NYFA
Pros
Team attitude, you are listened to, creativity is encouraged, work life balance is encouraged
Cons
Compensation is low across the board
Working on a student film.
Productions Assistant (Former Employee) –  Burbank, CAFebruary 6, 2019
I got the opportunity to assist on a student film, which was required as part the curriculum. It was a great way to experience what a professional set is like, and what is the proper way to behave on set as a crew member.
Pros
Free food, Meet with great people
Cons
Long days
Bad Management
Film Making Instructor (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 17, 2019
Management have zero interest in their employees. This company is a for profit school and cares nothing about teaching standards or respecting their staff. There is no opportunity for advancement. They flog their full time employees and are dismissive of their part-time staff. Students and faculty members are generally a good natured bunch. But no standard is required to attend the school so quality is often low. Staff members are good natured but management are cynical, money-grabbing and exploitative. The institution encourages mediocrity. If you have the skills and experience to work here I suggest you work somewhere else.
Pros
Good mix of domestic and international students, staff are helpful
Cons
No prospect of advancement, low standards, cynical management
Life at the Film Academy
Resident Advisor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 26, 2018
Life at the Academy is very fun and the environment is always uplifting and always keeps you on your toes. A day in the life is coming in, getting greeted by everyone, and coming to work hard, but play even harder, then interacting with all the students and staff there and seeing all the different aspects they are learning here, then going home. There is no hard part of the job if you know what you're doing and you're there to have fun but also to get down to business.
Fun place to work during summer
Teacher (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 20, 2018
I worked a summer camp during the summer and it was great. Co-workers were fantastic and the students were excited about their projects. Felt fulfilling helping young minds put their creativity into something they and they're family could see and feel.
A great place to work, but could be better
Technical Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 16, 2018
The best part of the job was the people I worked with every day, including my managers. They are all filmmakers and creative types who inspired me every day. The worst parts of the job were the lack of benefits, lower pay than I would prefer, and poor upper-level management. My managers were great but their bosses were not so great. The poor mismanagement of the budget is the most glaring issue I saw from upper management, and it caused a decent amount of stress amongst us lower level employees.
Productive work environment
Agent (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 4, 2018
Working at NYFA has been fulfilling an inspiring. I have learnt uch specifically in the way of sales and management. I enjoyed being a part of a motivated team and meeting deadlines and targets.
Productive and Fun
Camper (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 6, 2018
I had a great time while at New York Film Academy, would definitely recommend to anyone. All the people who worked there were passionate about what they were doing and it was a collaborative and positive place to be.
Summer Camp with Tweens
Teacher's Assistant/Video Editor (Former Employee) –  New York, NY 10004August 30, 2018
Your co-workers are fun and cool. It was also a pretty relaxed work environment. It was fun working with the kids, but it's not a sustainable way to fund a living.
Creative environment
SCREENWRITING INSTRUCTOR (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 22, 2018
New York Film Academy is a great place to work. I enjoyed working with the students and helping them shape their stories.
The student population is very diverse.
Interesting Place to teach and develop courses
Instructor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 15, 2018
The environment and location are fine. The studnets make the teaching experience what is the best about the school. They are active and engaging. The administration wavers and good have better structure and job security for their Instrcuros and Staff.
Pros
International Student Body, Hands On Approach
Cons
No Dedicated Schedule, No Room for Moving Up
poor higher management
Registrar (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 13, 2018
Top managers making poor decisions in the company. They invested in a very expensive new school database and after going live for 4 months, they pulled the plug and decided not to use it.
Employees were upset and stressed with this entire transition.
Pros
great location
Cons
horrible upper management, poor customer service
Hard place to succeed at
Professor (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 29, 2018
Its a hard micromanaging job. But has its benefits. Its nice when you can help students succeed that was a great part of the job. But upper management was hard to deal with.
a good place to be creative
Film Teacher (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 8, 2018
I love New York Film Academy for the culture of work and the possibilities given to the instructors to be creative and explore new ideas. On the other hand the work done in the institution is well valorized and promoted.
I loved the people I worked with.
Staff is great
Digital Editing Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 17, 2018
The staff is full of professionals who can help you outside of work. The students are cool as well. The pay is not much but that can be expected for a TA.
Part-time work
Technical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 11, 2018
This job is great if you don't have any bills to pay or a family to feed. I was able to plan my work days around the freelance schedule that is my main source of income.
Loved this job and being a part of this school
Film Instructor (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 10, 2018
Every place you ever work had its challenges. The hardest part is the grwoing pains, but it's coming together. Love the staff, love my fellow workers. I highly recommend working here if you are passionate about teaching. I can't speak for regualr staff, this is as a part time teacher in the MA, BFA, and summer programs.
Pros
Rewarding work
Cons
Lots of unpaid outside work
Very Interesting Work Place.
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 26, 2018
This job paid decent, but the office had a lot of issues. The Director was very mean to the employees and it was very stressful. It was very stressful and everyone in the office was on pins and needles. Now things may have changed due to new management.
Pros
Decent Pay
Cons
Horrible Managament

Ask a question about working or interviewing at New York Film Academy. Our community is ready to answer.