New York Institute of Technology Employee Reviews

Interesting work but poor scheduling and management
Standardized Patient (Former Employee) –  Jonesboro, AROctober 10, 2018
I loved the kind of work we were doing. It was like acting, only no huge audience and you learn about the human body. I was very excited about it.
It became clear very quickly how mismanaged the place was though. There were 2 bosses and neither in coordination with the other. For every meeting or training session, there were 5 messages saying different times to be there. The management was very hard on the standardized patients, considering there was no training in acting. It was very stressful knowing with any slip up, you'd be scolded. Finally after a couple months of sporadic work, I had to take leave for a medical condition. When I wanted to return to work, was told that the semester was almost over and there wouldn't be work till the fall. Come fall, I get a group message about turning in time sheets. I messaged my boss to inquire on whether we would be working again. The only response I got was to be deleted from the group forum. Overall I would describe them as unprofessional.
Pros
Interesting work
Cons
Barely any hours, unprofessional bosses
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 11, 2018
I learnt how to balance Schools work from my RA position in NYIT.
Great culture experience and was most enjoyable. Developed my communications skills, Time management skills, planning and organizing skills.
Pros
Developed my times management skills
Cons
Sleepless nights.
Poor management
Business (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 8, 2018
Beautiful campus but poor management. This is not a great place to work and it is not a good place for students. There are many people who have their own personal agendas and do not have the best interest of the school or the students in their work. As such, there is little teamwork and an unpleasant atmosphere. You want to be on a winning team, not on a dysfunctional team.
Useful only as a career "springboard" and/or to pay bills.
Adjunct Assistant Professor (Former Employee) –  Old Westbury, NYSeptember 7, 2018
I was an Adjunct Assistant Professor of chemistry at NYIT / Old Westbury for twenty consecutive years until my retirement in June 2016. Too many in the NYIT community are mesmerized with hackneyed concepts such as "globalization", "diversity", and "Title IX compliance". Your potential issues as an employee? Suppose you are a Caucasian male, either Christian or Jewish, who believes in God and the free-market. Also, you are politically conservative, and are the descendant of a family that first arrived in the United States in the distant past. If the description above fits you and you are seriously considering accepting employment at NYIT, please do so with extreme circumspection. That's because if you do eventually work for NYIT and have this personal background, you may find that through no fault of your own, you have become "marginalized" and possibly even considered to be a "persona non grata".
Pros
Provides "potboiler" work to pay your bills.
Cons
Seldom promotes dedicated "insiders", Almost all new top positions go to "outsider saviours".
complicated reporting lines and management system
Director of Business and Operations China (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 18, 2018
The management team kept changing for various reasons and it makes the policies inconsistent. In addition, there is no clear career path and good motivation to the employees.
department management is difficult to work with.
Grounds Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Old Westbury, NYMarch 11, 2018
Several in the management staff were stealing property and time from the university. Only one of the management staff was removed from his position and replaced.
Pros
extremely good benefits and reasonable pay
Cons
new management staff is corrupt.
Productive and fun work place
Student Ambassador (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 19, 2018
A typical day at the work place consists of assisting peers with appointments and also assisting advisors with any technical needs. i have learned great management and organizational skills at this job.
No room for growth
Dining Services Attendant/Utility, Campus Dining (Current Employee) –  Central Islip, NYJune 8, 2017
Decent health benefits...but poor organizational skills. Often having to work long hours with little or no help, very little support from higher ups, and a culture that fosters low morale. Very high turnover rates, often scheduling people to work in difficult circumstances with a mandatory, "Take it or leave it" approach. For example, having to prepare certain meals despite being severely allergic to specific ingredients. Even after several reminders to this fact. Having to fight for the opportunity to attend the funeral of a longtime friend, simply because sufficient advance notice was not given. Seriously? For a funeral?
Pros
Decent benefits package, close proximity to home.
Cons
Low wages, poor organization and communication.
interactive office environment
Captain (Current Employee) –  President stadiumNovember 21, 2018
I like that the environment is very friendly. there is a clear hierarchy for me to follow and easy to find help. As a student ambassador I feel like I have learnt a lot.
Part-Time Employee
Part-Time (Former Employee) –  Jonesboro, ARSeptember 13, 2018
Amazing place to work! My manager was always very kind to my co-workers and myself and treated us with the upmost respect. The environment of the company is just as great. The faculty and staff are extremely kind. If they had a full-time position available I would take it immediately.
Pros
Staff
Cons
Students
Stressful
Department Supervisor - Campus Dining (Former Employee) –  Long Island, NYMay 28, 2018
The worst place I have ever worked at!!!! I would not recommend at all. Your over worked and under appreciated. They try to offer occasional get togethers for management but they make it impossible for all employees to go.
Great place to work - however in my opinion the current executive level management in Finance is inept
Budget Manger (Former Employee) –  Old Westbury, NYJanuary 17, 2018
I worked in the Budget Department for the Financial Affairs Division. It was a great place to work until the last 2 years when executive level management in that division went astray and began discrediting and disrespecting long time solid, productive and loyal employees and began showing an affection and loyalty to recently hired power hungry evil doers with obvious agendas.
That said, working in higher education was a very rewarding and a wonderful experience.
Pros
Low stress environment, working with respectful and appreciative associates, tuition remission for family members is an extraordinary benefit
Cons
None except for the current executive management team in Finance, Hopefully the new President will rectify that situation
Productive and Fun
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, NYSeptember 25, 2018
It was just a Research work after completing my graduation. Looking for a full-time Work Opportunities in the US now, The atmosphere in this college was very good all are supportive
Great for learning
Automation Tester (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 7, 2018
straight forward work and detailed requirements..position is very competitive and collaborative. Did'nt get extra hours to work. I really loved this place
Familial Feel
Assistant Dean and Director of Student Life (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 5, 2018
Students are amazing there and very hard working. Colleagues are genuine and care about the students. I enjoyed working for NYIT and the memories created there with the students to see them grow into professionals.
Pros
Good community
Cons
Far from where I live, low pay for area
Collaborative
OFFICE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Westbury, NYJanuary 18, 2018
The management and personnel at NYIT worked collaboratively. No one was made to feel inferior to another. We worked together as a team. Any issues were addressed and corrected effectively.
Pros
A nice work environment.
Cons
Salary was too low.
The management is nice and organized
Management Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 17, 2018
I really enjoy working in NYIT management office. the working environment is nice, my supervisor is a elegant and kind lady that she's very hands on, she always makes things organize and easy going with people.
Productive & fun workplace
STEM Consultant(Volunteer) (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 9, 2018
I worked as a volunteer. The workplace culture is supportive where bosses support the employees. There were training sessions in order to increase the productivity.
was a student aide a t the library
Student Aide - NYIT academic library (Former Employee) –  Old Westbury, NYAugust 29, 2018
i was student aide at the library. was fairly quiet and relaxed helping people check out laptops and books. learned some customer service skills in dealing with late fines
Its good
Student Technology Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 7, 2018
Everyday had to check the rooms that every machine is in working order. During summer all the computers had to be updated year round for the new school year.
Pros
Work/ School is fair
Cons
Too much work at evening shifts