New York Institute of Technology Employee Reviews

Interesting work but poor scheduling and management
Standardized Patient (Former Employee) –  Jonesboro, AROctober 10, 2018
I loved the kind of work we were doing. It was like acting, only no huge audience and you learn about the human body. I was very excited about it.
It became clear very quickly how mismanaged the place was though. There were 2 bosses and neither in coordination with the other. For every meeting or training session, there were 5 messages saying different times to be there. The management was very hard on the standardized patients, considering there was no training in acting. It was very stressful knowing with any slip up, you'd be scolded. Finally after a couple months of sporadic work, I had to take leave for a medical condition. When I wanted to return to work, was told that the semester was almost over and there wouldn't be work till the fall. Come fall, I get a group message about turning in time sheets. I messaged my boss to inquire on whether we would be working again. The only response I got was to be deleted from the group forum. Overall I would describe them as unprofessional.
Pros
Interesting work
Cons
Barely any hours, unprofessional bosses
Poor management
Business (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 8, 2018
Beautiful campus but poor management. This is not a great place to work and it is not a good place for students. There are many people who have their own personal agendas and do not have the best interest of the school or the students in their work. As such, there is little teamwork and an unpleasant atmosphere. You want to be on a winning team, not on a dysfunctional team.
Part-Time Employee
Part-Time (Former Employee) –  Jonesboro, ARSeptember 13, 2018
Amazing place to work! My manager was always very kind to my co-workers and myself and treated us with the upmost respect. The environment of the company is just as great. The faculty and staff are extremely kind. If they had a full-time position available I would take it immediately.
Pros
Staff
Cons
Students
Useful only as a career "springboard" and/or to pay bills.
Adjunct Assistant Professor (Former Employee) –  Old Westbury, NYSeptember 7, 2018
I was an Adjunct Assistant Professor of chemistry at NYIT / Old Westbury for twenty consecutive years until my retirement in June 2016. Too many in the NYIT community are mesmerized with hackneyed concepts such as "globalization", "diversity", and "Title IX compliance". Your potential issues as an employee? Suppose you are a Caucasian male, either Christian or Jewish, who believes in God and the free-market. Also, you are politically conservative, and are the descendant of a family that first arrived in the United States in the distant past. If the description above fits you and you are seriously considering accepting employment at NYIT, please do so with extreme circumspection. That's because if you do eventually work for NYIT and have this personal background, you may find that through no fault of your own, you have become "marginalized" and possibly even considered to be a "persona non grata".
Pros
Provides "potboiler" work to pay your bills.
Cons
Seldom promotes dedicated "insiders", Almost all new top positions go to "outsider saviours".
was a student aide a t the library
Student Aide - NYIT academic library (Former Employee) –  Old Westbury, NYAugust 29, 2018
i was student aide at the library. was fairly quiet and relaxed helping people check out laptops and books. learned some customer service skills in dealing with late fines
Its good
Student Technology Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 7, 2018
Everyday had to check the rooms that every machine is in working order. During summer all the computers had to be updated year round for the new school year.
Pros
Work/ School is fair
Cons
Too much work at evening shifts
Fun place
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 6, 2018
It was a graduate research and teaching assistant position, fairly paid according to the work I had to do which was conduct lab sessions and check homework.
Familial Feel
Assistant Dean and Director of Student Life (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 5, 2018
Students are amazing there and very hard working. Colleagues are genuine and care about the students. I enjoyed working for NYIT and the memories created there with the students to see them grow into professionals.
Pros
Good community
Cons
Far from where I live, low pay for area
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 11, 2018
I learnt how to balance Schools work from my RA position in NYIT.
Great culture experience and was most enjoyable. Developed my communications skills, Time management skills, planning and organizing skills.
Pros
Developed my times management skills
Cons
Sleepless nights.
Productive and fun work place
Student Ambassador (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 19, 2018
A typical day at the work place consists of assisting peers with appointments and also assisting advisors with any technical needs. i have learned great management and organizational skills at this job.
Life as an RA
Resident Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 30, 2018
Being a Resident Assistant is difficult. Free room and board are awesome. But balancing school and the responsibility is difficult. Overall, the RA position was lead by a strong director and assistant director. However, I have held other positions in NYIT. New positions are difficult because there was an unstable chain of command.
Pros
Free room and board
Cons
Time requirement
Stressful
Department Supervisor - Campus Dining (Former Employee) –  Long Island, NYMay 28, 2018
The worst place I have ever worked at!!!! I would not recommend at all. Your over worked and under appreciated. They try to offer occasional get togethers for management but they make it impossible for all employees to go.
this was a graduate assistant Job
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 12, 2018
this was a graduate assistant Job. i was studying Masters in Computer Science and got this job working as a graduate intern at the schools computer labs
Productive & fun workplace
STEM Consultant(Volunteer) (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 9, 2018
I worked as a volunteer. The workplace culture is supportive where bosses support the employees. There were training sessions in order to increase the productivity.
Great for learning
Automation Tester (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 7, 2018
straight forward work and detailed requirements..position is very competitive and collaborative. Did'nt get extra hours to work. I really loved this place
Exposure to the practical world
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Old Westbury, NYApril 21, 2018
Its great to work at New York institute of technology. I was given task to manage the files of the student and assign them adviser according to their major/specialization. I also check status of the experiments which are to be done in the class. I manage the files of the students and assist them according the requirement to their major. I assist professor with the reports and records of the students.
Productive and interactive place to work
Student Clinician (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 19, 2018
Working with kids that suffer from mental and physical disabilities helped my communication skills. The hardest part of working here was having the patience to handle how slowly some of patients improved. This helped me learn how to be more proactive and stay disciplined to patient regimens.
complicated reporting lines and management system
Director of Business and Operations China (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 18, 2018
The management team kept changing for various reasons and it makes the policies inconsistent. In addition, there is no clear career path and good motivation to the employees.
The management is nice and organized
Management Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 17, 2018
I really enjoy working in NYIT management office. the working environment is nice, my supervisor is a elegant and kind lady that she's very hands on, she always makes things organize and easy going with people.
Good place to learn and begin my career
Technical Support Engineer (Former Employee) –  Old Westbury, NYApril 14, 2018
NYIT was the beginning of my tech career and I had a lot of learning opportunities there. My co-workers were great but the pay wasn't there because it's an educational institution.