New York Junior Tennis & Learning, Inc Employee Reviews

disaster
Director of Operations (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYAugust 10, 2019
poorly management, full of politics and back stabs. Only the friend of the friend gets the promotion. lack of transparency, financially suspicious. stay away from this organization.
If you have any professional skills outside of hitting a tennis ball stay away.
Targeted Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYApril 22, 2019
Spent years waiting for the environment to improve but this non profit clearly is more interested in securing donations than providing any services to children. Employees are not valued and micro managers are in abundance.
Pros
The children
Cons
Rats nest, toxic work place.
Nothing great about this place
Group Leader (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYOctober 24, 2018
Worked there for a year. Everyone thinks they are better then you they don’t care about anyone they are all about drama. They rather see you fail then help out one another.
Pros
Seeing the wonderful children
Cons
Horrible supervisor and immature assistant director
Supportive Team
Assistant Assistant Director (Current Employee) –  Bronx, New YorkOctober 20, 2018
NYJTL is an amazing agency to work at. The upper management make everyone feel valued and provide with many training opportunities to advance one’s skills. I am an assistant site director. The hourly pay for my position is good but everyone at the site with the exception of the director is a part time employee so it does affect the paycheck. On the other hand though, we are mandated to work full time on OST days, spring break, and summers. That’s when everyone’s check picks up. They do pay time and half of overtime ours and because we get paid in the 15th and the 30th, when we are working full time (summer) it is easy to surpass the 80 so anything after that benefits you greatly! I enjoy the workshops and training and want to stick around because the growth opportunities are available for those who are working on advancing their education. Director’s position, here I come!!
Pros
Supportive team, growth opportunies
Cons
Part time hours
fun
Youth Worker (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYJanuary 29, 2018
its fun being around the kids. you learn new things about the kids and yourself. you will have a huge influence on the kids. the hard part about the job is have kids listen to you.
Pros
a chill day
Cons
noise
productive workplace
Program Director (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYSeptember 11, 2017
NYJTL will help you grow as a director. you will learn from your peers and you will be confident to leave and grow elsewhere. you will be a great director with lots of support from upper management.
Pros
you grow
Cons
low pay
Upbeat Workplace
Childcare Provider (Current Employee) –  Queens, NYJune 22, 2017
Students arrive after school to gym area for intake. After intake students are administered a snack. after snack student have a hour of homework help. Management is always attentive and dignified.
Productive workplace and fun things to do with the kids
Group Leader (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYOctober 30, 2016
There are stressful days working with kids. I learned how to work in difficult situations and come with different lessons to teach 20 or more kids. The management can be unprofessional and unorganized, doing things last minute and lack of communication. Co-workers are fine sometimes can be unprofessional. The hardest part of the job is keeping the kids engaged and well behaved especially when we are short staff. The most enjoyable part of the job is to t see the kids happy and when things are properly organized.
Investment in Children + Cultivating the Future
Assistant Director (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYMarch 30, 2016
This job requires you to want to invest in children. The overall benefit from this job is the development of the children that you work with. Investing your time and energy as efficiently and effectively as possible and demanding that from the staff that you work with is one way to be successful in this position. You will slowly but surely see the difference you make as the children and school day staff open up to you more. The idea that "it takes a village to raise a child" is overwhelming apparent working within this position. You become another vessel that influences the youth as they are finding themselves, and preparing to go out in the world.
You use your time in hopes of sparking a light inside that will hopefully provide the motivation they need after they graduate high school. We have students that come back just to inform us how they are doing post-graduate endeavors. That is the most rewarding part, for students to return and want you to still be apart of their process.
Pros
Part Time Position (Depending on what you need in your life at the moment)
Cons
Part Time Position (Depending on what you need in your life at the moment)
Productive Workplace
Activity Specialist (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYDecember 9, 2015
A typical day at work is eventful. I enjoy working with the children and introducing them to new ideas and projects regarding Nutrition.
Pros
Working with the children
Cons
Too many days off without pay
Great experience
Science & Art Instructor (Former Employee) –  Arverne, NYSeptember 11, 2015
Taught me to work with children and helped me increase my customer service skills and made me realize how much I enjoy working with children.
Pros
Great learning experience
Cons
Summer job
Perfect job
Science & Art Instructor (Former Employee) –  Arverne, NYAugust 24, 2015
I loved working with the children and the staff of the tennis camp. Learned so much and loved watching the children create and be amazed at what they were able to do.
Pros
Great job and coworkers
Cons
Was only a summer job
working with children
Group Leader (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYApril 30, 2015
this job was great. the kids loved working with me everyday. I kept the kids busy with various activities.i learned different training of how to work with kids.
Pros
coming to work on time
Cons
healthcare
A great agency with a strong mission and caring people
Senior Director of Human Resources (Current Employee) –  Woodside, NYDecember 17, 2014
Tennis is just the start. NYJTL is a wonderful place to work. Working on behalf of children's futures is fulfilling. The leadership team is committed and creative. There are plenty of ways for anyone to find a position that is rewarding and allows them to do what they do best.
Fun, you work with children all day.
Activity Specialist (Current Employee) –  Woodside, NYDecember 5, 2013
Fun exciting trips, sometime free lunch and breakfast included. Depending on co workers and director it can be a fun job but 3 hours is just not enough.
Pros
Fun cool trips, Free food
Cons
No benefits, Not enough hours.
Very Productive Workplace
Activity Specialist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 13, 2013
Teaching elementary school students elements in Music. Group Leading throughout the day. Engage in the development of lesson plans.
Pros
Very positive n proactive environment
Beneficial to elementary school kids, providing them a safe environment after school.
Group Leader / After School Teacher (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, NYDecember 24, 2012
My day starts at about 2:30, the kids are dismissed from their classrooms , where we pick them up . We then assist with homework, provide supper, and the kids are involved in daily activities such as Dance, Theatre, Tennis, and Nutrition and Development. I've worked with kids previously so i easily got adjusted to the swing of things. My co-workers and i have a good relationship we all work together, and come up with ideas to try and make it a after-school programs the children love coming to. The most enjoyable part of my job is getting to speak with the kids, hearing what they have to say, and just being a role model to these young children.
Pros
we provide a safe environment and supper for these children
Cons
the pay isn't what i am use to .

Ask a question about working or interviewing at New York Junior Tennis & Learning, Inc. Our community is ready to answer.

New York Junior Tennis & Learning, Inc Reviews by Location