New York Life Insurance Company Employee Reviews

The catch is the "salary offer" on the ad.
Not available (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 18, 2018
NYL is a great place to work at if you are seeking a commission based position or business opportunity. On every hiring ad on indeed, they say an amount of a salary - that is not true, at least not a new hire - maybe 2 years in the company doing your consistent sales quota's. NYL does not offer a salary or hourly pay position. That is false advertisement. Sure, they interview you just to see if you have a valid social and clear background - in reality, anyone that has those qualifications can work with NYL. They train you and show you there business model - so if you walk in to there interviewing you are already hired; in a way and if you have a life/health license with some financial services experience that's an instant hire - but only for commission. I guess the company is great for growth and learning. Don't let them trick you in offering you a salary off the bat.
Pros
I guess company growth
Cons
no base salary - small commission
Commission based company
Client Program Agent and Specialist (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VASeptember 17, 2018
Most of the day is spent recruiting and communicating with clients, drawing up illustrations of policies and family planning. The schedule can be very flexible but there is also a lot of travel involved. It is difficult to plan financially when the only compensation is commission based.
Life and Health Agent
Licensed Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALSeptember 14, 2018
Simply put...you have to be willing to go places and outwit and outperform your peers. The life of an insurance agent is tougher than other jobs. Productivity breeds results!
Good an Positive atmosphere to work.
Insurance Agent (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 12, 2018
Met and educate clients. Set goals and met them. Sales products
To be resilient
Working on commission for the first time.
Adopted and trained new agents on sales calls
I set stretched goals and to be compete intermittently,
It help Agents like me to realize that I am not working for others but for myself. personal effort determines result
Act and think las a leader of an organization.
Our total input determines our commission.
Workplace culture is self management.
The hardest part of the Job are the reversals of commissions.
The flexibility of work hour and meeting clients of different
I help families make life decisions about their money.
Pros
Perks and Council trips
Cons
Reversals of comissions
Very reputable long standing Company
Agency Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kennewick, WASeptember 10, 2018
My job was as an Agency Staff Member therefore I did not do sales. The job was fulfilling and New York Life pays well and has great benefits. No overtime so life/work balance easy to maintain depending on your manager at the time.
Not a healthy environment
Life Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLSeptember 6, 2018
They treat you like a number. It's in their company culture. They make you feel like you are helping the client but in reality you treat them as if they are commission.
Pros
Free food
Cons
Toxic company culture
Comission only
Agent (Current Employee) –  Downers Grove, ILSeptember 3, 2018
Difficult career for most but can be extremely rewarding. Make your own schedule and set your own meetings. It is a good life balance but stressful knowing when you may get paid next.
Managers are not inlined with the company's mission
Investment Accounting Associate (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 29, 2018
I believe the company have a great mission, however, managers in different depts make it difficult to advance/move up the career ladder. I like the company as a whole but I think the managers needs to be trained.
Pros
work from home
Cons
monitored lunch
productive and fun
Sale Agent (Current Employee) –  Glendale, CAAugust 24, 2018
Call Outbound to develop leads, schedule an appointment, identify customers needs, proposed insurance products based on customer needs, closed the sale, satisfy customer's needs and make sure all customers have life insurance products.
Pros
Fun
Cons
nothing
It's work
Site Associate/Facilities (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 19, 2018
Seems like a typical office job, complete with mundane work and frustrating managers. For the most part the job is simple and it's better then nothing.
Great for a long-term career.
Agent (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIAugust 16, 2018
Very solid, highest-rated long-standing conservative company with many resources and a structure not typically found among its competitors. To be successful, you have to prospect, prospect, prospect, ask for referrals, and be a student of the profession.

Managers at the General Office have all succeeded in the field prior to moving into management. The culture is supportive. The hardest part of the job is keeping yourself solvent in the beginning as you build your practice.

The most enjoyable part is that everyday brings something different, knowing your clients will be better prepared for their futures, and that by helping others achieve their objectives and goals, helps me to achieve my own.
Pros
Ratings, Stability, Structure, Management, Training, Professionalism, and Breadth of Resources and Offerings
Cons
As with any busy company, getting time with managers for personal help/mentorship, can sometimes be a challenge.
professional and friendly working environment
Agent (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 16, 2018
flexible time, motivate in sales, meet sales goals, team work, helpful and friendly co-wokers, knowledgeable and confident people. good company and great working environment.
Poor managers
Legal (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 16, 2018
Poor managers, lack of career advancement and definitely no way to sharpen or develop skills... very big on nepotism. They want to nickel and dime u and not pay.
Cons
Lack of career advancement, no training opportunities, low pay.
Nice place to work, hard to move up though at certain point
Corporate Vice President (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 13, 2018
New York Life has nice people who don't shout at each other or act badly. But once you've been there for awhile it's much harder to get promotions. Good benefits though, good bonus.
Pros
nice people good bonus
Cons
too many meetings, some passive aggressive behavior
Insurance
Agent (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 13, 2018
Selling and presenting portfolios for investing and financial insurance needs. Took and passed Series 6 and other State of Texas insurance tests to sell insurance and financial investment products.
Do not work here
Agent (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MIAugust 6, 2018
insurance companies are notoriously known for throwing newly hired persons on the ceiling and waiting to see who sticks. Do not work here. It may be a good stepping stone.
Pros
Decent stepping stone
Cons
you are that insurance person
It was nice working their.
Life & Health Financial Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Brea, CAAugust 6, 2018
It was nice working there but sometimes it was stressful especially when you are in commission only. But over all I like helping families plan for their future.
Great Company, just needs a base salary
Life Insurance Agent/ Representative (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 6, 2018
the company is amazing, you really have a brand behind you and a lot of resources to flourish. however the fact that there's no base salary makes it extremely hard to make it work. I would get a second job but you're held as a captive agent meaning you cant working anywhere else.
Pros
flexible hours, a lot of resources, bulid you own market
Cons
no base salary to make ends meet, held captive
Purely insurance, no Finance as I was told...
Agent and Financial Planner (Former Employee) –  Edinburg, TXAugust 1, 2018
I was initially told by the recruiter that this job entailed 90% Finance and 10% insurance if worked that way and got my required licenses. This is because she knew what I wanted to hear. The reality of things, 90% Insurance and 10% (if that at all) Finance.
Production and Team work
Quality Assurance Tester (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 31, 2018
New York Life played a pivotal role in my career, personal development and advancement during my tenure with the company. I'm a hard worker, strived to always do the best job and was a part of a pro active team. I appreciated the various teams I interacted with developers, testers, testing coordinators, vendors and management. Being able to work with others and departments was an integral function. Going beyond to get the job done was never a consideration for me. I did what was needed to complete my projects and assignments with an attitude of excellence. Being a tester can be challenging due to the demands, constraints of the assignment, time lines, target dates but remaining focus on the end result and not compromising produced positive results.
Pros
Growth & Development
Cons
Downsizing

Ask a question about working or interviewing at New York Life Insurance Company. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.5InHerSight Score

3.5Personal Development

3.6Career Opportunities

3.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight