New York Life Insurance Company Employee Reviews

Great for a long-term career.
Agent (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIAugust 16, 2018
Very solid, highest-rated long-standing conservative company with many resources and a structure not typically found among its competitors. To be successful, you have to prospect, prospect, prospect, ask for referrals, and be a student of the profession.

Managers at the General Office have all succeeded in the field prior to moving into management. The culture is supportive. The hardest part of the job is keeping yourself solvent in the beginning as you build your practice.

The most enjoyable part is that everyday brings something different, knowing your clients will be better prepared for their futures, and that by helping others achieve their objectives and goals, helps me to achieve my own.
Pros
Ratings, Stability, Structure, Management, Training, Professionalism, and Breadth of Resources and Offerings
Cons
As with any busy company, getting time with managers for personal help/mentorship, can sometimes be a challenge.
professional and friendly working environment
Agent (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 16, 2018
flexible time, motivate in sales, meet sales goals, team work, helpful and friendly co-wokers, knowledgeable and confident people. good company and great working environment.
Poor managers
Legal (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 16, 2018
Poor managers, lack of career advancement and definitely no way to sharpen or develop skills... very big on nepotism. They want to nickel and dime u and not pay.
Cons
Lack of career advancement, no training opportunities, low pay.
Nice place to work, hard to move up though at certain point
Corporate Vice President (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 13, 2018
New York Life has nice people who don't shout at each other or act badly. But once you've been there for awhile it's much harder to get promotions. Good benefits though, good bonus.
Pros
nice people good bonus
Cons
too many meetings, some passive aggressive behavior
Insurance
Agent (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 13, 2018
Selling and presenting portfolios for investing and financial insurance needs. Took and passed Series 6 and other State of Texas insurance tests to sell insurance and financial investment products.
Do not work here
Agent (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MIAugust 6, 2018
insurance companies are notoriously known for throwing newly hired persons on the ceiling and waiting to see who sticks. Do not work here. It may be a good stepping stone.
Pros
Decent stepping stone
Cons
you are that insurance person
It was nice working their.
Life & Health Financial Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Brea, CAAugust 6, 2018
It was nice working there but sometimes it was stressful especially when you are in commission only. But over all I like helping families plan for their future.
Great Company, just needs a base salary
Life Insurance Agent/ Representative (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 6, 2018
the company is amazing, you really have a brand behind you and a lot of resources to flourish. however the fact that there's no base salary makes it extremely hard to make it work. I would get a second job but you're held as a captive agent meaning you cant working anywhere else.
Pros
flexible hours, a lot of resources, bulid you own market
Cons
no base salary to make ends meet, held captive
Purely insurance, no Finance as I was told...
Agent and Financial Planner (Former Employee) –  Edinburg, TXAugust 1, 2018
I was initially told by the recruiter that this job entailed 90% Finance and 10% insurance if worked that way and got my required licenses. This is because she knew what I wanted to hear. The reality of things, 90% Insurance and 10% (if that at all) Finance.
Production and Team work
Quality Assurance Tester (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 31, 2018
New York Life played a pivotal role in my career, personal development and advancement during my tenure with the company. I'm a hard worker, strived to always do the best job and was a part of a pro active team. I appreciated the various teams I interacted with developers, testers, testing coordinators, vendors and management. Being able to work with others and departments was an integral function. Going beyond to get the job done was never a consideration for me. I did what was needed to complete my projects and assignments with an attitude of excellence. Being a tester can be challenging due to the demands, constraints of the assignment, time lines, target dates but remaining focus on the end result and not compromising produced positive results.
Pros
Growth & Development
Cons
Downsizing
Solid Company
Senior Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJuly 26, 2018
I loved the company and all the opportunities it offered to learn and grown as an individual, in your area of work or other areas to move internally..
Pros
The secutiry of the business and solid company
Cons
Its still a Men's club and you have to be in the "In" group to be recognized
Great environment. Great people to learn from
Actuarial Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 26, 2018
NYL is a great working environment with an amazing company culture. The employees there are extremely nice and have much experience and expertise to learn from.
Results focused for agents
Financial Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 24, 2018
weekly training and independent sales for the rest of the week
adoption of salesforce.com
partner meetings and mentoring
training subsidy attached to closed sales
excellent training
good company
Licensed Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Reno, NVJuly 23, 2018
Good company good people to work with good location good management I would recommend this company to anyone who is looking for a good place to work..
Great place to get started in the industry
Licensed agent (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJuly 17, 2018
New York Life Insurance is one of the best insurance companies in the industry. It is a great place to get started and maintain a career if you can build a successful business. Life insurance is a hard sale, but it can be accomplished.
Pros
You create your own salary through commission
Cons
Hard to sell life insurance. training always changes, no set curriculum
cut throat
Agent (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXJuly 17, 2018
These jobs should be salary and commission. zit requires too much work just to make on e sale. Its a good company to have life insurance with but to work for not so much
Pros
awesome people
Cons
100% commission pay
Not what it used to be
Business Analyst/Project Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 15, 2018
Not proud to work here as I used to be. Overrun with consultants and poor management. They would rather hire consultants than teach loyal, capable, employees and promote from within.
Benefits
Cons
Advancement path, management
nice people
Agent (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJuly 15, 2018
Nice people to work for. Clean establishment with lots of perks. I liked the management and the way they were so understanding. I liked the hours and the people
Pros
nice management
Cons
Not a good place to work
Senior Associate (Current Employee) –  White Plains, NYJuly 7, 2018
Company is full of nepotism. The opportunities for advancement for minorities and women are minimal. Human Resources protects management. Whenever employees seek guidance from Human Resources, there is retaliation.
N/a
Invoice Validation and Processing Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 5, 2018
Why do I have to do this? Is this really important? This job out-sourced my job Over-Seas. There is nothing to tell and I dont think this is important to what I'm trying to do. Which is to find another job.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at New York Life Insurance Company. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

3.2Fairygodboss Score

45%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

55%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss