New York Life Insurance Company Employee Reviews

great company to work for
Service Leader (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNNovember 13, 2018
New York Life is a great company to work for. They really care about their employees and have great programs to help and develop them at all stages of their careers.
You will get out of this position what you put into it
Licensed Agent /Registered Representative (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYNovember 12, 2018
100% commission. Must make min amount to keep contract and benefits. Monthly salary not a given. Pay is not consistent. Enjoy the freedom of owning your business and schedule is flexible.
Stable and relaxed work environment
Actuarial Intern (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 3, 2018
NYL Corporate (not Agent): Good company if you are looking for strong work-life balance and decent pay. The people there are very smart, but not alphas. As a result, the culture is definitely not cutthroat or nearly as demanding at other financial firms like banks or hedge funds. As a result there is less upside compensation-wise.
Pros
Work-LIfe Balance
Cons
Not challenging, smaller pay than other finance jobs
Service Analyst in Retail Annuities (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYOctober 30, 2018
New York Life offers great pay, overtime, and allows for a career to expand. Management is exceptional. What I appreciated the most was the recompensation we received when performing well.
Senior Application Developer (Former Employee) –  Westchester County, NYOctober 30, 2018
We were moved to Westchester after Sept. 11, 2001 terror attacks.The building was very nice on Rockerfeller reserve grounds, we were surrounded by nature and had commuting possibilities. My work was rarely stressful, but it also depends on if you enjoy your job, I did. The workplace was more like a family setting. I don't know how it is now since there has been alot of reorganization at the company, department by department. I am sure it is a great place to work still and if you are willing to learn NYL will assist you and encourage you.
Financial Professional (Current Employee) –  New Windsor, NYOctober 30, 2018
NY Life is a great place to work, the support system is excellent the management team is professional and helpful in all aspects. The training program is amazing and the products offered are Superior to most.
Pros
Onsite training, reward system, flexible schedules, opportunity to make lots of money.
Cons
Too much freedom
A GREAT company and career
SR. DIR OF DEVELOPMENT (Former Employee) –  Louisiana, Arkansas, South Carolina, TexasOctober 26, 2018
An absolutely GREAT company for career opportunities and benefits. Must be a self starter and highly motivated to succeed. Greatest training in the industry.
Pros
strong benefits and advancement opportunities
Cons
very self directed and motivated for career advancement
no support by management
Licensed Agent (Former Employee) –  Bethesda, MDOctober 25, 2018
no support by management- insurance for the healthy; insurance for the wealthy only. no one to go on calls with you. I never tell someone to work for this company. they train you but give you zero leads.
Cons
poor management
lo que aprendi
Agente de Seguros (Former Employee) –  Sunrise, FLOctober 13, 2018
La capacitaciĆ³n es diaria y excelente, buen ambiente de trabajo.
Pros
todas las prestaciones
Cons
Poco apoyo de mi partner
Workplace Culture
Licensed Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLOctober 6, 2018
New York life was an awesome place to work in terms of resources, training, and overall team morale. I would recommend it for anyone who is self-motivated, lives locally to the office, and is ready to dedicate themselves to building their business.
Pros
Work environment
Cons
No base salary
excelente empresa
Insurance Agent (Current Employee) –  ciudad obregonOctober 3, 2018
excelente enfoque organizacioonal, valores establecidos, capacitacion de primer nivel
no salary and three months training
Agent (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLOctober 1, 2018
I was expected to work for three months, money free to learn the New York Life process. THey were not able to convert my license from IPA to NYL and I was not able to sell for two of the three months where I made no money, I could not afford to stay
Fun. Productive.
Senior Associate, Corporate Finance Division (Current Employee) –  Jersey City, NJSeptember 25, 2018
Enjoy working at NYL. Nice people. Good working environment. Work life balance commute is long from where I live. Opportunities to move with in departments. Career oriented.
Fun workplace, changing environment, fast paced
Agent (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LASeptember 24, 2018
Great place to start a financial services career. Top fortune 100 company. Great Training program.. I would recommend this company as one of the top financial institutions to work at.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
Qoutas to meet
People oriented and well organized
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 24, 2018
New York Life was a very pleasant place to work. I enjoyed the people and the work. It was laid back but also very professional. I learned a lot about Insurance and underwriting. I also learned about many different cultures as the clients were of many different cultures.

The daily routine would vary depending on the time of month and the end of the quarters. The agent needed to get their numbers in and were very busy at certain periods of the quarter. Sometimes it could be very slow. The best part of the job was meeting the clients and learning about the workings of the insurance industry.

I enjoyed the work environment at New York Life and would choose to work there permanently if there was an opening.
Pros
The People
Cons
No benefits
Simple Not Easy
FINANCIAL SERVICES PROFESSIONAL (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 23, 2018
this will be the most rewarding career of your life if you push yourself and make it work all you have to do is listen to the management and keep track of your numbers
Pros
unlimited earning potential
Cons
no time clock
The catch is the "salary offer" on the ad.
Not available (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 18, 2018
NYL is a great place to work at if you are seeking a commission based position or business opportunity. On every hiring ad on indeed, they say an amount of a salary - that is not true, at least not a new hire - maybe 2 years in the company doing your consistent sales quota's. NYL does not offer a salary or hourly pay position. That is false advertisement. Sure, they interview you just to see if you have a valid social and clear background - in reality, anyone that has those qualifications can work with NYL. They train you and show you there business model - so if you walk in to there interviewing you are already hired; in a way and if you have a life/health license with some financial services experience that's an instant hire - but only for commission. I guess the company is great for growth and learning. Don't let them trick you in offering you a salary off the bat.
Pros
I guess company growth
Cons
no base salary - small commission
Commission based company
Client Program Agent and Specialist (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VASeptember 17, 2018
Most of the day is spent recruiting and communicating with clients, drawing up illustrations of policies and family planning. The schedule can be very flexible but there is also a lot of travel involved. It is difficult to plan financially when the only compensation is commission based.
Life and Health Agent
Licensed Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALSeptember 14, 2018
Simply put...you have to be willing to go places and outwit and outperform your peers. The life of an insurance agent is tougher than other jobs. Productivity breeds results!
Good an Positive atmosphere to work.
Insurance Agent (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 12, 2018
Met and educate clients. Set goals and met them. Sales products
To be resilient
Working on commission for the first time.
Adopted and trained new agents on sales calls
I set stretched goals and to be compete intermittently,
It help Agents like me to realize that I am not working for others but for myself. personal effort determines result
Act and think las a leader of an organization.
Our total input determines our commission.
Workplace culture is self management.
The hardest part of the Job are the reversals of commissions.
The flexibility of work hour and meeting clients of different
I help families make life decisions about their money.
Pros
Perks and Council trips
Cons
Reversals of comissions

Ask a question about working or interviewing at New York Life Insurance Company. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Women's ratings

3.5Fairygodboss Score

57%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

75%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss