New York Life Insurance Company Employee Reviews

Run don’t walk from this company
Doesn’t matter (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 17, 2019
I’ve worked for many companies and they are by far the worst. Do not work here, work at McDonald’s they pay more and have much better benefits. Everything is policy and procedure, one step out of line and you’ll know IMMEDIATELY
Pros
A few
Cons
Very low pay, you’re grade dictates your advancement NOT your experience
A nice place to work with tons of training and classes
Agent (Former Employee) –  Glendale, CAJanuary 17, 2019
Arrived early for training, learned lots, felt micro managed, workplace culture was diverse, hardest part of the job was trying to maintain a steady salary. I was on commission and received monthly expenses.The most enjoyable part was being able to set my own schedule.
Pros
Flexible Schedule
Cons
No work family balance. Manager did not understand my Role as Mother and Agent.
Good for sales
Financial Specialist (Former Employee) –  Waltham, MAJanuary 13, 2019
New York Life provided good opportunities for people who were oriented toward sales. They offer excellent compensation for self-motivated persons, but require disclosure of personal relationships. A typical day includes classes in the morning and sales calls and meetings in the afternoon.
Pros
Great Compensation
Cons
Mines personal connections for sales
Great place to work and learn
Data Scientist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 7, 2019
Great place to work and learn. Have a good manager and good team lead. I also like my team members. The location is good too. I love New York. It's a good place to work and live.
Sales
Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Melville, NYJanuary 7, 2019
Full commission , you must be hungry for money, work independent and be agressive in approaching people. You must find places where to sell life insurance.
Life and Health Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  El Paso TexasDecember 29, 2018
I cannot put a price on everything that I learned about all different types of insurances. I had great success as an agent with New York Life because I just love working with people. The job help me to educate not only myself but the community about not procrastinating in preparing and leaving things in order for your loved ones . Planning for retirement and health issues is about most importance.
Pros
I acquired a wealth of knowledge, and really enjoyed working with the community
Cons
At times the job required working very long hours
Great Place To Work
Corporate Compliance Examiner (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 28, 2018
Very good working culture. The company offered continuous training and provided opportunities across departments. Management encouraged the staff's continuous growth.
hard work pays off
Agent (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 27, 2018
Great training, great individuals, lots of learning moments and the back office support staff are awesome. Glad I had this experience, taught me a lot.
Great for those its designed for
Partner (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXDecember 26, 2018
This position is perfect for those that want to be in control of their own outcomes. It requires a lot of dedication and hard work but has high rewards
Pros
Flexible hours, unlimited income
Cons
Commission only, could require O/T
Sales!!!
Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VADecember 22, 2018
Gotta be ready to build a client base, BEFORE any money rolls in ... Great training. Professional culture. Just gotta be ready for the first 12-18 months of building. Probably no life outside of work.. too much the first year.
Pros
great training. professional. recognized brand. good money
Cons
takes some time for money to roll in. no one likes life insurance convo
Great environment with good people
Certified Life and Health Agent (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCDecember 19, 2018
In my experience, management is super supportive of their agents as long as they are willing to put in the necessary work (and even sometimes when they aren't). It is a stressful job because your income solely depends on you, as agents are 100% commission based. This can lead to stressful months or fantastic months. Its a difficult job starting out and requires the right mindset to be successful, but is achievable if you want it to be.
Pros
Top notch training, good managers, good work environment
Cons
only commission based, no leads provided, expected to be able to work at any time
Tough
Financial Services Professional (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCDecember 17, 2018
100% commission. Good training though. You're required to create your own leads and book of business from scratch. A lot of hoops to jump through just to get started.
Plenty of training
Sales & marketing (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MIDecember 10, 2018
As an agent starting out, lots of training but minimal leads shared. High turnover of new hires and the established agents never retired, they had it good; clients, easy street and work load.
Pros
Fast moving and great people
Cons
High demands for every growing your client base
Competitive
Agent (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 4, 2018
If you're a person who is comfortable working with a commission based job, but offers a potential lucrative future and the opportunity to meet variety of people from different career backgrounds, then this is the career for you.
Nice place to work
Registered Representative (Current Employee) –  New JerseyDecember 3, 2018
Commission-based income but with bonuses a plus. Very little support to develop niche markets. Though a multi-billion dollar company, it operates like a Mom & Pop in some respects.
Pros
Monthly bonus pay
Cons
Mediocre agent support services
Case Analyst III (Former Employee) –  Fairport, NYNovember 30, 2018
Every general office is different. My experience was great, management listened and was supportive of employees. Benefits were great and there were multiple employee recognition opportunities available that employees could participate receive.
Great Training
Insurance Agent/ Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Saddle Brook, NJNovember 29, 2018
Learn to do a professional approach to new clients -leads
great training program and products
many new things learned about the finance and investment business
New York Life Agent Career
Report directly to the managing partner (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCNovember 26, 2018
Can be lucrative but must have strong pre-existing relationships. You need to have substantial funding saved up and be prepared to put in several years before you truly see the pay off.
Pros
Strong commission structure
Cons
Your network truly determines your net worth in this industry. No salary, you must sell or be prepared to go months without being paid. Reversals.
It's a good company.
Licensed Insurance Agent (Current Employee) –  San Dimas, CANovember 25, 2018
I'm still undecided yet. I'm still on contract job. Hope to get long term job. I have two sons to support. I am still searching it.I hope everything coming good for the future.
Contract
Clerical (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHNovember 15, 2018
Enjoyed learning a new business and position, but this was only a contract job, felt like it could have grown into a permanent one, but position will be eventually handled through another office outside of the state.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at New York Life Insurance Company. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.5InHerSight Score

3.5Personal Development

3.6Career Opportunities

3.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight