New York Life Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Found 1,563 reviews matching the search See all 1,579 reviews
Great work place for competitive and sales oriented people
Agent (Former Employee) –  Glendale, CAMay 18, 2018
Agents are able to set their own schedule
Are responsible for networking and prospecting, however, New York Life, offers some networking events but these are typically congested with other agents making those events not ideal for prospecting.
Compensation is 100% commission. If you do not have a wide network of people to work with (that you already now) you will likely struggle starting off. You will also be expected to invest your own money into "growing your business". Until you can generate some business flow and keep it rolling you may be suffering for a great deal of time when it comes to compensation and income.

If you can make it past that hurdle you will likely be great. Just be mindful that that hurdle can be a few years.
great work balance
Registered Representative (Current Employee) –  Waltham, MAMay 18, 2018
you work the hours you need to work to be successful. There is weekly training twice a week, helping to improve on skills and knowledge and building on new skills.
N/a
Agent (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 18, 2018
I would not recommend this position or company unless you have a lump sum of money you can use while you grow your business. This job can take many hous of your day with no pay.
Pros
Free Parking, training is great
Cons
Training is excessive, commission only
Learning environment
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 17, 2018
I worked for an agent of Nee York Life. I learned many things so it was very rewarding to me. I was the office manager so learned payroll, how to interview, how to manage a small office etc
Pros
Flexible
Cons
No benefits
Terrible place to work.
Director (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLMay 17, 2018
Stuck in the 1950s Managerial-wise. Reviews based on bell curve, employees stuck in specific rating levels, even if undeserved. Top Management managed through fear and intimidation.
Great work environment
Intern (Former Employee) –  Berwyn, PAMay 15, 2018
Fun and open work environment with great people. Typically, I worked in recruiting to there was not too much change in my day to day activities. However, it was not overly demanding and was good experience.
Summer Finance Intern
Finance Intern (Former Employee) –  Wall Street, NYMay 15, 2018
New York Life was a great learn experience for me. It was the first time I was working with financial products and clients in a hands on situation. I was able to see how financial advisors organize, plan and carry out their day to day operations.
Pros
Great learning experience, employees were very helpful
pyramid scheme
Registered Representative (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 15, 2018
This is not a real job they hire a new class every few weeks get them to sell there friends and family and keep the business when they leave.The managing partner is the only one making real money.
Pros
Cons
No guidence
Good but not great
Agent (Former Employee) –  Montgomery, ALMay 15, 2018
Very competitive. Hard to solidify your base when you are competing against fellow agents. Were not up front about how contracts could be taken. Great benefits and product. Not a better product out there.
Pros
Good name recognition and product
Cons
no base
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 14, 2018
Awesome agents! Management always tried to assist with any problems we had. Training was exceptional. Management reward for outstanding performance through rewards programs.
Pros
Travel
Cons
Deadlines

Want to know more about New York Life?

Ask a question
great enviornment
Release Engineer Associate (Former Employee) –  Westwood, MAMay 14, 2018
This was a great work environment and good people to work with !! The company provided good benefits as well as good work life balance. Also provided training on our skills needed for the position.
Pros
good work life balance, benifit culture as well as co workers!
Cons
at time work hours were a bit excessive, at least for me.
Take Advantage of Educational Opportunities
SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  FloridaMay 14, 2018
They offer several educational opportunities for you to improve your skillset. I would recommend you take full advantage of those opportunities. Learning a new skill makes you more marketable inside and outside the company.
Pros
Educational opportunities
Cons
Middle Management
Typical insurance sales, paid very well
Financial Professional (Former Employee) –  375 Woodcliff Dr Fairport NYMay 14, 2018
Good company, too much managerial fluctuation. You could come and go as you wanted but that is a doubled edged sword. Some nice people to work with but also some not so nice ones as well.
New York Life
Agent (Former Employee) –  Macon, GAMay 14, 2018
It was a fun experience. I enjoyed my time at New York Life. I learned alot of information about finance and developed alot of personal relationships.
No room for advancement and stressful
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 13, 2018
I had a horrible experience with this company. They must pay a lot of money for damage control because this organization looks good on paper but they have a lack of empathy. It's very stressful and they don't have a wellness program. I would think they have one, being that the customers are verbal abusive as well as the agents. There's also closet racists.
Life Insurance Agent
Life Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMay 12, 2018
Good experience, learn a lot from working with licensed professionals. Management is good and is willing to work with individuals to grow them into successful agents.
New York life
Registered Representative / Agent (Former Employee) –  Olive Branch, MSMay 12, 2018
It was a good company to learn about life concepts. It gave me some great experience selling. I am glad that I went from this platform to more of an investment Platform.
Pros
commision was good
Cons
selling Life Insurance
I dont have much to say
Team Leader Operations (Former Employee) –  Utica, NYMay 12, 2018
I worked for them and they did a great job and have fantastic leaders. there isnt anything to say because I worked for them through an outsource. The folks I worked for were EGS and fromwhat I know they NY life folks are top shelf
Stressful
Insurance Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Glendale, CAMay 10, 2018
Must be driven by income. It is a very stressful environment if you do not have experience and or do not have enough people to contact. It is a referral based job and it would be difficult without referrals.
NY Life Review
Personal Life & Health Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Edison, NJMay 9, 2018
Manager was awesome. Really great to work for, cared, and was great with training. The worst part about NY Life is its commission based. That can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on the type of worker you are.