New York Life
Here to help
Coronavirus update
Information from New York Life:

New York Life Employee Reviews

You’re seeing reviews close to Ashburn, VA based on your current location
Not your desired location?
Choose a different one
Ashburn, VA48 reviews
All I'll say is this
Make sure that whoever you report to, helps you! This company is more sink or swim than any of the other life insurance companies I've worked at.

They have workshops and call-a-thons but if your new to life insurance, you'll only make money if your supervisor is involved with getting you on track fast. Point blank period!
Professional Work space.
This job is a great intro to the financial industry. I copy and pasted this here for character count. We’re a lot like the clients we serve. Each of us is working hard to meet life’s responsibilities and build our own futures. Funding retirement? Looking after aging parents? Dealing with the death of a family member? We’ve been there, and we’ve persevered through the toughest of times. So when we work with you, we appreciate that we are being trusted with your most important assets: your family and your business. We take that responsibility seriously. For more than 170 years, we’ve kept every promise we’ve made to our customers. That’s simply a fact.
I love NYLife bc I love sales, but the compensation is strictly commission, which is difficult in a Bear market
I love New York Life because I love sales and I love the management, but the compensation is strictly commission, which has proven to be difficult in a Bear market. However, the work environment, opportunities for job environment, the management and the culture were fantastic.
Good place. Treated fairly. Manager of DC office is amazing. You get out of the career what you put into it. I have enjoyed working there for the most part over a lengthy period.
Good interaction and learning experience with clients
It was a great place to work however the exam that you take before you get the license is something I was not aware of. if you are working for a company that should have been provided by them. but later on the help you get from them is great.
Do you enjoy working at your company?
Help people considering your employer make a good choice.
Productive and Fun place to work
Great place to work. Flexible schedule. If you put your customers first, you will be very successful. Its a bit hard since people are not interested in life insurance out of no where, something usually triggers that interest. Also some people get rated and cancel policies, which most of the time its out of your control.
Reaaly good peers and training managers
Peers and support staff were second to none.
Friendly, very talented, dedicated, helpful, and humorous.

Office social events were fun, well attended and lavish.
Pros
good friends
Cons
upper management, no so much
very good environment
New York Life had offered me a great opportunity to grow as a professional agent but I was not able to continue longer with the team because I did not have a car to easily meet my clients. I will join again and work with New York Life and benefit everything if I get to do it again
Grind House
Not a bad place to work. But, not enough time dedicated to the informing of associates to the dues and don't of the company. As it pertains to writing business and that business coming off.
100% Commission, Never know when you'll be paid
Working at NYL is 100% commission no matter what they tell you. You only get paid after selling life insurance or annuities. However even when you sell life insurance you don't know when you will be paid. You have to wait until the medical examiner sets up a meeting with the client, and for them to pass their exam to get fully paid. If you are advanced any of the money up front, and they fail the medical then you have to pay back the money to NYL! Management's communication with employees is terrible, when you ask about getting paid you'll get different answers from different people. Selling life insurance is a very competitive and stressful job, especially since its all commission.
Pros
Strong brand recognition
Cons
Bad management, low pay, all commission, stressful
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at New York Life?
Cut throat environment
Very flexible hours. not a ton of advancement opportunities, and it is very demanding.

I would not recommend to someone who can not work on their own
Pros
cool people
Cons
no structure
Competitive Work Environment
Must always be actively seeking new prospects. Must work to maintain active relationship with all existing clients. Must be willing to work at all hours.
no support by management
no support by management- insurance for the healthy; insurance for the wealthy only. no one to go on calls with you. I never tell someone to work for this company. they train you but give you zero leads.
Cons
poor management
Educational and productive workplace
Very Competitive, Educational, Great and Friendly work environment. Have lots of great and unique products for clients. I would recommend this company as a great place to work at.
Great Experience.
Had a great working there while I was there. Great training and coworkers. It requires a lot of time to reach your financial goals.This is not a job for those looking to make money quickly and easily. It if for long term, goal oriented individuals that care about the welfare of others, not just making money. The instructors and management work with you to achieve your goals.
Pros
Lots of room for growth and income.
Cons
Primarily commission based.
Nothing good to say about this experience
Very toxic culture with a heavy focus on sales to meet quotas.There were too many meetings. Management used fear and bullying as motivation. Just a really poor work environment.
Company is a scam.
This job is terrible. There is a 95% turnover rate in the first year. I made it two years and it was all fresh faces all the time. You will badger your friends and family to buy bad insurance products from you until no one will hang out with you or return your calls. Going out and pitching to strangers gets even more frustrating and that's when most people quit, leaving NYL with a few life insurance policies their friends and families bought out of pity.
Great Place To Start
A company that cares about its agents.
Went above and beyond to make sure agents had what they needed

Compensation was fair and the benefits were above industry standard at the time.
A Company you Keep
A company full of life and values. A fantastic place to be.Training is provided like no where else.Where and what position you want to grow into is in your hands.Full encouragement and support is given .
Pros
Earn as much as you want NO LIMITS
Cons
Great company for sales-oriented careers
This is a solid company with a solid reputation. However, the job was not a good fit for me or the company. I received some excellent training and worked hard to obtain my license in health, life, and annuities. The company provides good benefits and pay for those who want to sell life insurance policies and make a lot of money. I retired from the federal government and felt the time was not right to begin a job in this field.
great company with training managers.
Trusted company. Great commissions. A lot of sales reps so a lot of competition. Excellent weekly meetings.

A lot of forms to learn. Excellent base salary.
Pros
Great manager
Cons
A lot of driving
Ask a question about working or interviewing at New York Life. Our community is ready to answer.
1K
Diversity score
out of 100
Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP40%
In the Top 40% of similar size companies
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at New York Life.