New York Life logo

New York Life Employee Reviews

New York Life insights

What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Time and location flexibility
Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Overall satisfaction
  • General feeling of work happiness

Found 3,257 reviews matching the searchSee all 3,296 reviews

Outstanding Company with Strong Values, Culture and Ethics

Featured review

New York Life selected this as a representative review
This is a Fortune 100 company that values their employees, supports them and wants them to succeed. This is especially important because financial services is a tough business. Most people know very little about the scope of what we do, or about our company- that we're owned by our policy owners, not Wall Street, for instance. But people are highly skeptical of "insurance companies" and have made assumptions about us, especially thinking that all we do is insurance when we're trained to provide a full range of financial services for individuals and businesses: retirement planning, estate planning, business planning, tax diversification, etc. The company knows this however and supports us. Our training is undisputedly known as the best in the industry. Very deep dives on ethics, products, business management, etc.,--and it's a three year program. We're encouraged to secure securities licenses and they pay for the training. Currently they're also paying bonuses when licenses are secured. Compensation is based on performance, so it's not easy. But, it's possible to make a lot of money. The company pays very well when new business is brought in. Benefits are outstanding! Lastly, this company doesn't just talk diversity they walk the talk. By far the most diverse workforce I've ever seen, top to bottom. No glass ceilings here! All that and we're the gold standard in the industry.- the oldest, largest and financially strongest mutual insurance company in the United States.

Pros

Ethical company, best in the business training, high compensation, diverse workforce, excellent management, high expectations

Cons

Compensation is tied to brining in new clients

Great DM staff - very friendly

If you're not focused and cranking 24/7 you wont make a dime. No base salary to help you through. Great work atmosphere, but the monetary support is brutal at times.

Pros

Flexible, all on your own time

Cons

If you don't prospect of have enough leads - no money is made, very stressful

Simple, what you put in you get out

Worked on my own time, management is great and they have some amazing people that will help you learn the in and out of your business. However, it is all commission, and you rarely receive leads.

Pros

Cons

Commission only

Old boys club. Use you for your contacts

Unless you have much money to really start your own business don't do this. It sounds manageable with stipend but it is not for most. Some great people. Some old male agents don't even bother to smile at you because they know you won't be there in 3 months unless you have the backup and money to start. The only way to win would be getting a business loan to really help making it happen. Enormous new hire turnover. Get in young

Pros

Some nice agents. Helping people

Cons

Eating ramen noodle soup for months. Old boy club

Fun job

Great work environment. Manager/partner made me feel included and a team that worked arond assisting one another to the best of their capabilities.

Would you rate your company five stars?

Rate your employer to help people make better career decisions.

Waste of a Year

I worked as an Agent at NYL for 17 months. And I can say I do not recommend it to anyone. Whatever they may promise you in your interview, it won’t work out the way they make it seem.Well over 80% of the people who make it well past their first year and on, are lucky enough to either have wealthy family members, or luck into a wealthy individual. Every person that spoke with our team that was a partner, management, or anything above an agent has the same story.Wealthy family, wealthy individual who helped them achieve the necessary mark for what they call “council.” Which is the stepping stone to company advancement. So if you have a wealthy family, friends, or acquaintances, then this job is for you and you’re primed to succeed. If not, then this is your life:Work life balance? Non existent. You’re working and prospecting every minute you’re awake. This is due to the constant need to meet requirements to keep your contract with the company intact. Monetary, it’s a commission only job. And you’re selling life insurance. Good luck.Morally. Yes, you can become licensed as a registered rep. But if you’re going to make it, and be successful, you better bet you’ve got to sell a lot of life insurance. Particularly while life. The line between what is right, and what gets you paid gets fuzzy at times.Management? So much turnover in this job and company, once they realize you won’t make it. You’re to the wolves. Unless you’re a top producer, nobody cares about you.No matter how enticing the interview sounds (they get trained on how to provide an excellent -

Pros

I got a free lunch once to sit through a 2 hour meeting.

Cons

Everything.

work hard play hard

tough place to work if you have a conscience. toxic work environment. would not recommend this organization to anyone with a family or any commitments outside of work

In the beginning it was very difficult. But over time you can get used to it. The work is by commissions only. The more work and effort you put in the more money you can make.

Pros

Cons

Compensation. It’s by commission.

Great culture

Great environment, pay could be more competitive. Originally a Cigna employee and the group insurance sector was sold to New York Life. The transition was a little rocky but overall, a great company to work for!

Good co-workers. Interesting work.

The job was great. The problem was that in order to be hired, it was mandatory to go through an temp employment agency, who kept an undisclosed percentage of my pay, although they had done no work to help me get the position. I learned later that the temp agency is owned by New York life as well, which seems to be suspect, in my opinion. I also had to sign a contract promising to work a six month period, but they did not honor their end of that. Even though my direct supervisor was happy with my performance and had mentioned the possibility of extending my contract past the 6 month period, the temp agency let me go without notice when an employee decided to come back from maternity leave early.

Jobs at New York Life

See more jobs

Productive and competitive work place

Friendly and competitive work environment. Management goes above and beyond for agents and advisors. Many life insurance agents choose the independent route but the corporate model is the way to go. And if you’re going to be a part of the financial industry specifically in life insurance then you might as well be employed by the best. Satisfactory is an understatement.

Amazing Company

East Bay General in San Ramon has some of the best people I have had the pleasure to work with. If you are ok with a 100% commission job and you have a full pipeline, the training and growth you will experience is great. I really liked working here.

Pros

Great Training

Cons

1oo% commission

The company’s environment is toxic and I do not recommend anyone work there.

They will try to keep you on to satisfy their own requirements and numbers; I wanted to leave and they used major pressure tactics to try to keep you there. I saw many good people get fired.

Pros

Cons

Constant pressure from managers, calling and texting at all hours, 5 am, etc. Not healthy!

New York Life is a great company but.....

New York Life is a great company to work for. Great products. Great training. The company culture is great. But being an agent is very challenging. You have to get our own leads. I've sold to most of my family members.

Pros

Great training, great products, company support

Cons

You are responsible for your own leads.

Many changes, hard to take time off

Company moves you around to different departments and you have no say in the decision. Changes take place constantly, disorganized, new comers have a hard time keeping up and therefore make a lot of mistakes making the calls and request rise and your work is based off of productivity from day one and are compared with members of your team that have been there for 10 plus years. Hard to take vacation if you work in the service area due to coverage.

benefits

Cons

work life balance

Great place overall

It is a great place to work and it is a pleasure to work in this company where everyone is happy and satisfied with the job they have and teh people.

Commission based

I used to work as a life insurance agent. The hardest part of working at the company is how there's no base pay at all. 100% commission based. I enjoyed all the training, parties, and network events they provinces, however, I had hard time paying for bills when I don't sell any life insurance. I wish I was a better salesman. I eventually had to quit the job after a year or so.

Pros

Free lunches, schedule is flexible

Cons

100% commission based

Tough environment

You learn a lot when you initially begin. As you progress you’re made to sit in the same meetings as everyone else who has just begun, really wasting your time. You’ll learn a lot of useful skills in sales. It would be nice if a real prospecting process was organized in training for you, like how to target your market, using quantitative data. It was the best learning experience of my life. I’d recommend spending a substantial amount in leads until you become established

Pros

Flexibility

Cons

Flexibility and costs.

Great company, just not for me

Commission isn't all that great. But the management and training was very good. You have to sell to family and friends so if you know a lot of people and don't care what they think, you will succeed. Pay structure was confusing.

Pros

work/life balance

Cons

low commission, constant online courses

Not much Work/Life Balance at first

A typical week consists ofMonday - A motivating Video, Meetings, Trainings, Phone clinicsTuesdayWednesdayThursdayFriday SaturdaySunday ....Your Schedule is what you make. After the week long training everything is overwhelming but it is supposed to be. You do not need to know everything at first and learn as you go. They want you to do a project 200 to get your name out there as a new agent so you can sell their products. Some of them make it seem like whoever doesn't buy from you is stupid and that you need new friends.. Following the sales process is fun, everyday it is your job to meet five new people for a total of 25 a week so you can make follow up calls to try and schedule 2 new appointments a day. The target is 10 a week (Let's say 2 reschedule, 4 aren't interested, 2 need more time, & 2 will close). There is not really any work/life balance at first because there is so much to do. You will not be paid for driving to meetings or anything. You are an agent backed by a private financial institution, GO SELL. Sure everyone needs life insurance but do some research on treasuries and how interest is paid then ask yourself - is this really the best investment to make today? Learn how to sell against it and continuously educate yourself. Sure they will motivate you but if it was soo easy then everyone would do it. If you want to get something you've never had then you have to do something you've never done. Good Luck!

Pros

Incredible training, motivating managers, potential for great growth/compensation.

Cons

It's a sales job, no leads.

Financial Services Professional

Training and development are very good. Management is supportive and available. Highly competitive insurance products. Set your own schedule. No base salary.

Pros

Work/Life Balance is good

Cons

Very much a cold calling role without a large network

Ask a question about working or interviewing at New York Life. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

1.1K

Women's ratings

3.6Fairygodboss Score

63%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

69%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by  Fairygodboss

Compare New York Life with

• New York Life
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?