New York Life Employee Reviews

Found 1,829 reviews matching the search See all 1,847 reviews
I felt like no one really wanted to be there
Financial Planner (Former Employee) –  Ridgeland, MSDecember 13, 2018
I felt like the recruiters were really scraping the bottom of the barrel with recruits. One guy seriously looked like they found him on the street. I always felt like I was always pushed to be an annoying person when I was out - I couldn't just live my life - we were constantly fighting to stay at this company and I don't even know why I stayed as long as I did. I think I was chasing the possibility of making six figures in my first year. Its highly unlikely.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
All commission, management lacks social skills
Get ready to stay in your job
Sr Variable Associate (Former Employee) –  York, NYDecember 13, 2018
Let me say New York Life was great. My co-workers benefits and life-style was great. But there was little advancement, they said they want management to encourage job progression but there was hardly ever any movement on that.
For troubled employees who would not even come in to work on time for half a year, you have job security. They just got warnings. It took a lot to be fired for misconduct but even for any other job you would be fired after the third time in a week.
I applied to many internal positions that I was qualified for, but with half of them the reason the job that was opened was filled by the person who left and decided to come back.
After over two years of that happening and wanting to move on I did. My managers gave me the cold shoulder after I handed my two weeks notice after they decided to pull back on a agreement we had for a work arrangement.
Pros
Great benefits, good job security
Cons
lack of advancement, little pay raises and bonuses
Really enjoy working at NYL
Technical Consultant (Current Employee) –  White Plains, NYDecember 12, 2018
NYL is a great place to work to acquire new skills while working in a fast paced environment. This job will prepare anyone to wear multiple hats. I recommend a job with NYL.
Awesome Compnay To Work For.
Account Maintenance Analyst (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 11, 2018
Best Company I have ever worked for. I couldn't be happier to be part of this great Company. Joining NYLIFE is the best decision I have ever made. Very Happy.
Great company
Insurance Agent (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKDecember 10, 2018
top notch training, excellent support, great people, love working for NYL, fun environment. Weekly pay with incentives, flexible schedule, you are your own boss, but with the best team you can imagine
100% Commission, Never know when you'll be paid
Licensed agent (Former Employee) –  Vienna, VADecember 10, 2018
Working at NYL is 100% commission no matter what they tell you. You only get paid after selling life insurance or annuities. However even when you sell life insurance you don't know when you will be paid. You have to wait until the medical examiner sets up a meeting with the client, and for them to pass their exam to get fully paid. If you are advanced any of the money up front, and they fail the medical then you have to pay back the money to NYL! Management's communication with employees is terrible, when you ask about getting paid you'll get different answers from different people. Selling life insurance is a very competitive and stressful job, especially since its all commission.
Pros
Strong brand recognition
Cons
Bad management, low pay, all commission, stressful
Fun place to work are indepent contracters in a team building environment
agent (Former Employee) –  Fargo, NDDecember 10, 2018
learned sales techniques and how to read people. Learned the ins and outs of finance and how insurance can work to benefit a people in a time of need to how it helps them as a retirement fund.
Cut throat environment
Licensed Agent (Former Employee) –  Vienna, VADecember 10, 2018
Very flexible hours. not a ton of advancement opportunities, and it is very demanding.

I would not recommend to someone who can not work on their own
Pros
cool people
Cons
no structure
Performance Reviews
Senior Internal Auditor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 9, 2018
NYL was very focused on employees career path and had in place a self evaluation program which required the employee to evaluate their own performance. Once complete, it was reviewed by the manager and discussed with the employee. This process encouraged improvements and allowed the employee to be a part of their own career path decisions.
Worst decision ever!
Agent (Former Employee) –  Myrtle Beach, SCDecember 9, 2018
I trusted the managing partner to advise me honestly! Mislead when I took the job and during the job! Health insurance was $750 per month and a total joke. It's every man for himself. No culture to speak of in the office or between Agents! Favoritism, sexism and nepotism.
Productive and very educative
Agent (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 7, 2018
NYL is very concern about your education, team, partners and development managers helps your a lot. Bus as an agent is a Commission paid job but with strong benefits
Pros
you own your time
Cons
commissions
Great Company, provide very good training and excellent products to offer.
Agent (Former Employee) –  Palm Beach Gardens, FLDecember 7, 2018
Every day is different. Most of the time we are looking for a new prospects, making calls, answering emails, or attending webinars at least twice a week.
Pros
Very good place to work. It is a family
challenging and pressured.
Agent (Former Employee) –  San Dimas, CADecember 6, 2018
Commision based position. Difficult to secure potential clients to do business with. Have to do your own canvassing and generating names to work with as clients.
work life
Registered Financial Agent (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 5, 2018
to succeed you have to work 7 days a week 15 hours a day. its a good company to get your feet wet into the financial industry, they will sponsor you if you show the will.
Not For Everyone
Captive Agent (Former Employee) –  Maitland, FLDecember 5, 2018
If you have something on the line to fight for and you don't mind leveraging your relationships (some may suffer) then this may be for you. If not then don't bother.
Pros
Freedom
Cons
Relationships may suffer
Productive and fun work place
ntern (Former Employee) –  Parsippany, NJDecember 4, 2018
Very smart people. Good work environment. Management knows what they are doing. Good cafeteria. Worked with different teams to enhance processes and mitigate risk.
Freedom withing the Framework
Life Insurance Agent and Financial Professional (Current Employee) –  San Francisco Bay Area, CADecember 3, 2018
Great place to work if you're ok with a strictly commission job. They do their best to set you up for success. Having the freedom in your day is amazing but making sure you're productive with that freedom is key.
Self employed as Ins. Agent
Outside sales for Life Ins (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, CODecember 3, 2018
I was a self employed agent and could work my days either in an office or at home. I met with customers either in my office or in their home or office. Objective was for sales of various types of life insurance as well as long term care and other investment products.
Pros
Self employed
Cons
Lot of night hours with customers
Family like workplace, Fun
Agent (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXDecember 3, 2018
The time I was in New York Life was great, it was very challenging and highly competitive, pushed to the limit and out of your comfort zone. We learned each day something new that adds value to our business.
High Potential if you drink the Cool Aid
Agent (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaDecember 3, 2018
Days consist of mandatory training and phone calls. Little to no leads are provided. No base salary is provided however, a cell phone stipend and training allowance are provided.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at New York Life. Our community is ready to answer.