New York Life Employee Reviews

Found 1,741 reviews matching the search See all 1,758 reviews
do not apply
Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Waltham, MAOctober 15, 2018
Zero direction. Waste of time and money. Will have tp sell to family and friends, and the training is terrible. The training is just a seminar of people talking about themselves.
Pros
You are your own boss - sort of.
Cons
Lots
Awesome opportunity for the right person
Agent (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCOctober 15, 2018
You are more than fairly compensated for your efforts, but getting up and running can take a lot of time since you have to find your own clients. The Charlotte office is a very supportive place to work.
Great Place to Work
Agent (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVOctober 14, 2018
Productive Work Place , it takes a long time to build a substantial book of Business.
Would not recommend for someone who has major financial obligations in the beginning of their career
Great Place to work
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Frisco, TXOctober 14, 2018
Great place to work if you have experience. I had the chance to meet great people who have helped me learn more about the job. There is flexibility in your schedule.
What I learned
Program manager - Program Management Office (Current Employee) –  Lebanon, NJOctober 11, 2018
While many large organization take prides of what they do, NYL is on the same boat, however, they show a great respect to FT and consultants where are large organizations abuse their consultants and usually put the blame on them. That does not happen in NYL. Respect, dignity and great knowledge sharing from seniors to juniors.
Pros
Cafeteria
Cons
Na
Good place for the right people
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Scranton, PAOctober 11, 2018
Great benefits, Good culture. Depending on your vision, all came be obtained with the right sales and education to advance to the next level. A good partner to help you is essential.
Pros
Flexable times
Cons
No Free lunches
Long hours, commission only, pay for leads
Agent (Former Employee) –  Latham, NYOctober 10, 2018
You have to have money to pay to get leads through mailings or events. Constantly work leads and make sure you have saving to live off because it could take months to make a sale.
Sales
Life Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOOctober 7, 2018
It of course was a commission based sales position. It was not a bad career as long as you make sales. Everyone needs life insurance, you just have to convince them that they do before it gets too expensive, or worse it is too late. I only left due to the death of a close family member. Selling life insurance and having to relive the sudden death was too much for me.
Desktop support Technician (Former Employee) –  Melville, NYOctober 7, 2018
New york life technical suppoert team is very efficent. All technical issues are addressed in a timely manner. The staff is freindly and knowledgeable.
Life Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 7, 2018
it is a very good place to work. Good management team. A typical day at New York life is a friendly one. People help each other to a certain level. Management always available for employees.
Pros
good work culture
Cons
need to find your client
It's great when you are making sales.
Licensed Sales Agent (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIOctober 5, 2018
Position income potential is extremely variable dependent on sales or lack thereof. Being solely a commission based position your income is only limited by the amount of sales you close.
Pros
position is commission based
Cons
position is commission based
Great place
Licensed Agent (Current Employee) –  Licensed AgentOctober 4, 2018
Great place to build a business. Just give your self some runway. As with any comm. sales job it takes some time for the process to work. So make sure you are aware of this going into this profession.
Strong, solid financial company
Administrative Assistant to Finance Officer (Former Employee) –  Walnut Creek, CAOctober 3, 2018
very strong financial company with lots of benefits for its employees. potential to grow by relocating to other cities if desired. Work place culture was good.
Pros
flexible
Stressfull
Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 2, 2018
My team members were great. I did not like the leadership. I like team work that is what make the dream work but that did not happened with leadership in New York Life in Atlanta
Cons
I did not care for management because they were arrogant and rude to leaderships and sales team.
Fun Place to work and make money
Former Manager (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIOctober 2, 2018
New York life is and awesome opportunity. The leadership team is very knowledgeable and cares about my family well being . The environment is always positive and uplifting. I am a former military listed member New York life provided the tools and Training needed to make may transition possible. Thank you New York Life.
Pros
Great Staff
Cons
More computer base information
A complete nightmare working there...
Life Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 30, 2018
I was an agent at New York Life, San Francisco GO, from May, 2014 - October 2015. I was impressed with some parts of the company and saddened by many other parts.

The training of Agents, within the San Francisco GO is phenomenal. It was great Presentation and Training. But notice how I put the word "Presentation" before Training. That's all it really was "presentation and pizazz" and not much more. The Direct Trainers were phenomenal. They knew their products, they had the right skills, and they gave us good feedback on our learning.

The Management I received was some of the worst, I've ever had. It was vicious, it was tough, it was lacking. My "Managing Partner" was one of the worst, when it came to strong interpersonal skills. At first I thought it was just me, but I knew at least 6 or 7 agents who "feared" him, not respected him. You should "respect" your manager.

I was told, in closed door, one on one meetings, that my "friends must not like me" and that "I must not love my family" in some sick way to "motivate" my actions. It's a common gutless tactic used by manipulative individuals, using "cognitive dissonance" to influence behavior. Hey, I want to prove "I love my family" so I'm going to take this action. My manager, J.... knew exactly what he was doing, and has done this type of thing, likely for many years.

I knew at least 8 other agents, who's "moral compass" and livelihood he likely destroyed, in the time they worked there. I could list names, but am deciding not to, to protect their privacy. But the fact is, it's easy to stand up and speak out, because
  more... I know I'm not the only one who he did this too. And I'm willing to speak up.

He also screamed at me, in regular confrontations, with little to no positive results for me. It was all "win/win" for New York Life.

When I exhibited "loyalty" I was not rewarded, and in fact punished for my actions and Customer Driven behavior. NYL, and in turn, it's Managers, really don't care about helping Customers, but in turn, are in the business of taking money away from policy holders, and returning little to no positive equity. In one case, a Senior Manager, K..., actually contacted me, and was "yelling" at me, on the phone, when he had a question, that involved me giving value to one of our policy holders, something that a customer would appreciate, and was certainly the right thing to do. The details are not important, but suffice to say, it was ugly, and uncalled for. Yelling at me, for helping a customer, imagine that?

J..., in turn, was yelling at me, on the phone, in Church parking lot, I had arrived to "volunteer" as a Knight of Columbus, something that I take pride in, being Catholic. He yelled at me for 45 minutes on the phone, claiming I was "wasting time" and not thinking. He was telling me that "Knights" have their own insurance company, a fact I did not know at that time. But who cares? Why would he be yelling at me like that? That was ludicrous and uncalled for. (can you see a pattern? K... is J....'s boss).

I truly was saddened by the way that NYL Management regularly made me feel. I have to admit, I was in a bad time, and sometimes the way an employee is acting and feeling has a major effect on their experience in the workplace. I won't got into detail, because I'm writing this based on my company review, and not my personal life experience at that time.

Later on I found out that he was having me make calls, when I was not yet an established agent. He was pretending that "he didn't know this fact" at the time, but it makes no sense that he would not be aware. Part of his job, is ensuring that his "new agents" are succeeding. If my numbers are down, then he would be AWARE of that. Which he was!!!!

Since I was "spending time making calls" without hope of selling insurance. I was in essence, working for free. This job was unpaid, and 100% commission. I think you can see my point.

One other thing I should mention, I have had multiple people contact me, after leaving NYL, and this only happens when a person leaves a good impression on people he worked with there. If this were the case, then I must have been doing a good job "faking it until making it." Trust me, I was a "model employee" while working there.

I had held high opinions of the Insurance Industry my entire life. My father had worked in the industry around 9 or 10 years. I have fond memories of seeing him prepare his suitcase, and also heard stories about his clients. Well, at the end of my tenure at NYL, my opinion dropped dramatically on the industry, and on Insurance Agents in general. I have a horrible opinion now, of all things involving Insurance and Financial Planning. I would not be somebody to approach this type of work, and/or even my personal planning. And this is contrary to how I've been my entire life. I've always had a high opinion of this type of work and industry, until now. I despise NYL and all things connected to it. I despise my former manager.
Pros
Training; upbeat sales team
Cons
Managment cut throat pressure; zero pay 100% commission
Great Place to work
Agent (Current Employee) –  San Dimas, CASeptember 29, 2018
New York Life is a great company to work for, it does take a lot to be successful. You have to have an Entrepreneurship mentality to stay on top and the best of all is that you will get a lot of knowledge about the finance industry.
Great Working Environment
Agent (Current Employee) –  Montgomery, AL 36117September 29, 2018
This is a great place to advance professionally. The opportunities to excel in pay is available; however, clients not paying their premiums and being decline can really hurt your paycheck.
Pros
Great Pay
Cons
Clients not paying premiums can affect your commission.
Not Fun
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVSeptember 28, 2018
It was stressful and required you to be able to do more than what was listed on the initial job application. Would not recommend at all. Also was a temp
Professional Work Environment
Sales Agent (Former Employee) –  Melville, NYSeptember 28, 2018
A normal day consisted of an early training class to learn more about each and every product with evenings filled with calling warm and cold clients. The mornings and lunches usually were filled with appointments that have been set due to how good of a salesmen the agent was.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at New York Life. Our community is ready to answer.