New York Life Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Found 1,679 reviews matching the search See all 1,696 reviews
It was a fun and pleasure to work in New York Life Insurance
Print Operator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 14, 2018
It was a rotating 3 days a week shift. One month night shift and one month day shift. However, it was a pleasure work environment. Manger, supervisor and co-workers were friendly and co-operative.
The hardest part was the rotation of the shift from night to day shift.
Issues with their building process for independent advisors.
Senior Associate (Current Employee) –  Leawood, KSAugust 13, 2018
NyLifes Advanced Market network was designed for the independent market. I was really excited about that when I joined the team. However, they had little resources and organization/communication to accomplish that. It was disappointing.
Pros
Amazing people to work with at NyLife.
Cons
Lack of desire to really improve and grow the business.
Good learning experience with great people
Marketing Intern (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYAugust 13, 2018
My job was to research and find new clients for the agents i was working for. This was a good experience for me to gain an insight into the industry and work with others
Positive Environment with tons of potential
Registered Representative (Current Employee) –  Waltham, MAAugust 9, 2018
The help I was provided with while working with New York Life I cannot imagine would be better anywhere else. The environment and the people kept me there probably longer than I should have been. I needed to move on to find a more stable position for myself
Pros
Commission, Management, Training
Cons
Commission, Location(nothing in W. Mass)
Great Work Enviroment
Internship (Former Employee) –  Johnson City, TNAugust 9, 2018
New York Life gave me a great opportunity to learn the ins and outs of the different variations of annuities and life insurance policies. The hardest part of the job is getting in front of someone and trying to pitch your product especially still being in college because a lot of the times they will overlook you because you don't have the age or the work experience for them to trust you. However, overall this was a great comapany to work for.
Pros
Great Boss
Cons
Not easy selling Life Insurance while still in college
The Boston G.O. for New York Life is a powerful and amazing place to work.
Registered Representative (Former Employee) –  Waltham, MAAugust 9, 2018
The Boston G.O. for New York Life is a powerful and amazing place to work. The Training and Management are unbelievable. The job is hard and requires very think skin. If you have a strong network and don't mind asking friends and family hard questions and are willing to follow the training you can succeed. For those who succeed it is a very financially rewarding career.
Very stressful and nonrelaxed environment
Agent (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCAugust 8, 2018
Call in and discuss your plan for the day with managment. Work place is very stressful and demanding. Very high turnover. The hardest part of the job is phone clinic. Cold calling on businesses and homeowners.
Pros
Cons
No money until you trigger or maintain a client base
Sales is Tough
Registered Representative / Licensed Agent (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 8, 2018
Tough to get started. It is possible - but inconsistent at best. Managers are helpful but ultimately it is up to each person whether you success or not.
Great Foundation for Insurance License
Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 8, 2018
Great culture and environment to work for. They start you off with a training program to get you certified to sell insurance and you must sell a certain amount before moving on to financial products.
Review Summary
Financial Professional (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCAugust 8, 2018
There business model is outdated for the current marketplace. If you don't have connections to affluent people you will not do well. Also the training is limited as well as the product offerings
Training is not to good
Financial Planner (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALAugust 8, 2018
The people are great. But the training is not so good. The product is great but the teaching is terrible. They expect for you to generate a ton of business upon coming aboard but don’t show you how it should be done. They are very knowledgeable on their products but don’t train you to apply what they teach you. If you ha e a lot going on you might want to wait to have time and money in place to take on a career like this.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Terrible training
Good work and life balance
Director of Fixed Income (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 7, 2018
It's a place with very reasonable hours. People are generally polite to each other. The multi boutique structure can cause some issues between the company and the boutiques.
Good opportunity for the right person
Registered Representative (Former Employee) –  Denver, COAugust 6, 2018
First year, spend 50 percent of your time in training.

You are by yourself, getting in touch with your partner is tough, so make sure you are independent.
Management wants you to succeed
Business Development Associate (Current Employee) –  Waltham, MAAugust 5, 2018
Hard to start off getting clients, but company gives you tools and resources to succeed. Good opportunity to succeed financially and good upward growth opportunities.
Full Commission Sales
Advisor (Former Employee) –  777 Westchester AvenueAugust 5, 2018
Great company, Great products, Great training, Great Benefits

No Salary, small residuals, turn and burn atmosphere, Bad management,

I learned a lot that contributed to the overall success of my sales career.
Pros
Big upfront commissions
Cons
Big reversals
N/a
Financial Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Glen Allen, VA 23060August 2, 2018
Effect the sale and marketing of Life insurance, as well as personal, retirement and estate planning for the Industry Leader in Life Insurance. Develop qualified leads and set appointments for financial services products.
New York Life Insurance
Agent/Producer (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIAugust 2, 2018
NYL is a great atmosphere for those who are willing to work. There is a lot of room for advancement and potential. With a structured mentor ship and tons of guidance, if you're a self starter looking for unlimited potential, then NYL might be a good fit.
Horrible Management
Agent/Producer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 1, 2018
I had a horrible experience with management. The current president of the Long Island likes to have these lengthy weekly meetings on several days. Completely nonproductive. They spent a lot of money in advertising and fancy offices and their Agents, at least ones at the bottom of the food chain suffer, they promise an expense allowance that I never got and training allowance, which is ok, but it is not a salary... It's like they have all controls over you but no ownership of the other social and legal factors such as paying your taxes, when due, only if they choose to do so...Managers get a cut of what you make, plus salary, pension match free, 401k and expense allowance... But when something bad happens, your manager is far from helping... Not a good place to work in my eyes...
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Good persieved reputation -
very good company to work for
Manager for Insurance agency (Former Employee) –  Doral, FLAugust 1, 2018
Excellent place to work in.
I had learned a lot about new products.
Manager helps you a lot to develop your agency. I will highly recommend this place to work.
Pros
Excellent work place
Run your own business
Agent (Former Employee) –  Bellville, OHAugust 1, 2018
I ran my own business in my own home for New York Life. They had lots of training, I had to travel one hour to get there each way.
I had to sell, sell, sell, each week, so I was out a lot talking to people, and knocking on doors. Lots of travel expense, and wear and tear on your car.

I always enjoyed helping people get set up with life insurance and get their retirement in place. I love annuities, and saving in ways that increase your income!
Pros
Own your own business
Cons
keep selling use your own car for expenses, lots of driving