New York Life
Happiness rating is 65 out of 100

New York Life Employee Reviews for Insurance Agent

Make sure that whoever you report to, helps you! This company is more sink or swim than any of the other life insurance companies I've worked at. They have workshops and call-a-thons but if your new to life insurance, you'll only make money if your supervisor is involved with getting you on track fast. Point blank period!
The only insurance company I’ve ever worked with, but I’m sure it’s probably the best. They treat you like more than just a number and really invest in you to give you tools and support and training, but still if you are afraid of rejection it will not be enough because nobody is going to make the calls for you. You have to be really self motivated and be proactive or you’ll end up not getting paid for months.
Pros
Bonuses
Cons
No base salary
The people and culture are fantastic! They give you all the tools you need to succeed. Really supportive management and tons of freedom to set your own schedule.
Pros
Freedom
Cons
Finding your own leads
It’s a commission only sales position with a quota so you may not like that. If that doesn’t bother you it’s a great place to work. The support is amazing and management is extremely understandable about work life balance.
This wasn’t for me. I have the utmost respect for the company and for the people I worked with, but it just didn’t fit my personality. You’d better LOVE prospecting for new clients to make a living in this business. Selling insurance here is all about the relationships you make. They don’t sell leads like some other companies. Some people do very well. I didn’t.
Pros
Flexible schedule, high income potential
Cons
I hated prospecting
I would have stayed longer. Due to returning to school I left the job. Encouraging management and fair pay. Self starter type position, that requires you to manage your own time.
I think this is not an easy job , this job you have to be bothering everyone to make a sale, people usually hide from you after a while.No leads no nothing they usually tell you to sell to your 200 list , no help at all , only commision, they keep telling you that you have to trigger ,
Great company and commissions when you make a sale but it’s hard to get sales. I was there 6 months and didn’t make one sale and there is no base pay.
Pros
Great company
Cons
Hard to make sales
This is a great company to work for!! Everyone is very respectful and professional. Agent training is the best, caring for client is a top priority. Coworkers are extremely helpful.
Pros
Job flexibility
Cons
Commission only pay
I loved it there and the team I was one. Everyone was understand and very competitive positions. The only down fall was that it was 100% commission I ended up investing more than I received.
Pros
Felixable
Cons
100% Commision
Great place to work great coworkers great commission balanced. Management awesome . Helping people is fullfilling . Easy advancement if you do job properly
Cons
Great training program. The training director, during training period, appeared to be too focused on sales and not enough on ethical behavior. I didn’t like management’s repeated request that I allow the company access to my contacts. I considered it nothing more than a ploy to add names to their massive list of potential prospects.
If you have a wealthy network and can sell anything on a concept, you will do ok. Don’t look for a salary... there is not one as an agent or financial advisor. Many many deductions and a percentage compensation plan that is less than what is sold to you upon “interview.” Would not recommend.
Pros
Lots of encouragement.
Cons
Recruit your friends. Sell to your family.
Great company to learn about life insurance. Great benefits. Captive agents don't earn commission or bonus on their sales. I needed more money to live
Not for the faint of heart. Can be very difficult to get started. Must be a self motivator and be able to manage yourself at all times. Company offers great support and hands on training. Be ready to not be making money right away it does take time to grow this business.
I really enjoyed my time at New York Life, the profession of a life insurance agent is hard yet very rewarding, both personally and professionally. There was consistent training and recognition for the results and sales performance. Trips and travel were also consistently available. If you enjoy working with people and are driven, New York Life is a great company to consider.
Nice office culture, a lot of vacation time with full benefits. Great work/life balance! For the most part, people in the office are nice and helpful.
Pros
Lunch, Training and Development, Benefits
Cons
No room for growth if you are in the customer Service Department.
I can make my schedule, the company is very open to diversity and we have a good work environment. It's a company full of opportunities for the ones that like to work with sales.
This job is a learning opportunity, it values success and encourages employees to build their own practices for individual success. It also prides it self for many successful years of surplus and integrity in this nation.
It was a good company. I would not work for them again. The reason is because it was only commission. Only commission jobs I feel like I’m my opinion don’t give me stability.
This job is a great intro to the financial industry. I copy and pasted this here for character count. We’re a lot like the clients we serve. Each of us is working hard to meet life’s responsibilities and build our own futures. Funding retirement? Looking after aging parents? Dealing with the death of a family member? We’ve been there, and we’ve persevered through the toughest of times. So when we work with you, we appreciate that we are being trusted with your most important assets: your family and your business. We take that responsibility seriously. For more than 170 years, we’ve kept every promise we’ve made to our customers. That’s simply a fact.