New York Power Authority Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Excellent salary and benefits
Principal Attorney II (Former Employee) –  White Plains, NYJuly 10, 2018
Professional environment with opportunities for advancement and varied work experience. Organized general and specific training programs for all levels of employees.
great working relationship with staff
PROJECT MANAGEMENT (Former Employee) –  White Plains, NYJuly 6, 2018
Great place to work really sorry I left. There were many opportunities available e.g training for PMP, CEM etc. transportation available for travel in state. AFLAC available,
Pros
friendly people and training opportunities available
contract position
Outage Planner/Scheduler (Former Employee) –  White Plains, NYJune 6, 2018
Worked many overtime hours. It was a brutal work schedule but I was happy to do it. It was the first SGRP done in the US and we all wanted it to be successful.
Pros
Great Pay
Cons
Very easy work and good pay/benefits
Various Sites, NY - Construction Engineer (Former Employee) –  Massena, NYFebruary 13, 2018
This was a good job for someone who wanted to live in the area (Massena, NY) and have a very stable job with good benefits until retirement. I learned a decent amount early on about hydro power in general but there isn't a lot of opportunity to do meaningful work. It got boring very quickly and I felt like my development was stunted which is why I left.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Not challenging
A team collaborative environment
Sr. Mechanical Designer (Current Employee) –  White Plains, NYFebruary 9, 2018
Work life balance can be difficult as travel is mandatory within NY State to the various plant sites.
The work is challenging and rewarding and the politically correct atmosphere can be frustrating.
Pros
4 weeks vacation to start
Cons
pay is low as compared to the marketplace
Sr. Analyst (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 2, 2018
It was a great place to work and learn about IT, business process reengineering, management, computers, budgeting and forecasting, nuclear power, fossil power
Good
Diversity and Inclusion Myth
Employee (Former Employee) –  Westchester County, NYFebruary 2, 2018
Would like to have seen more people of color and women in managerial positions or positions with significant decision making authority along with salary equity.
benefits
Cons
lack of diversity in managerial positions
Leaping into the next generation
Sr. Procurement Specialist (Contractor) (Former Employee) –  White Plains, NYFebruary 2, 2018
Working at NYPA, I have watched the company take tremendous steps into bringing the company into the next level of progressive movement. They are focusing on new technology and processes to keep a competitive pace with today's environment.
The management was very hands-off and interns were not given much work. The HR department took us on a field trip and it was very enjoyable.
Intern, Operations Portfolio Management Group (Former Employee) –  White Plains, NYJanuary 24, 2018
Most days I was bored and felt very under-utilized. I shared an office space with other interns and we all felt the same. The HR department was nice and we attended useful Lunch and Learns.
Fast paced, demanding and rewarding
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 23, 2018
Compiling, analyzing and reporting of long term financial projections to the Executive Staff and other Government agencies, including State and City, in a fast paced, demanding work environment.
Pros
Camaraderie with co-workers, 4 weeks vacation
Good Company
SECURITY MANAGER, SENY Region (Current Employee) –  Astoria, NYOctober 30, 2017
Good benefits, job security and advancement opportunities. Great place to further your education and experience. Competitive salary and employee perks.
Who you know
Engineer (Current Employee) –  WPO/NIA/CECOctober 17, 2017
Friends & family plan is the way to go. Union no doubt runs the show and most of the management is to far up the kissing tree to see this. If considering career here go to union side not management. Union brothers look out for their own....management is out for themselves and will step over you and not look back.
Pros
Great pay and benefits
Cons
WPO is too far away to really see what is going on....
Wonderful Internship
Project Management Developmental Intern (Former Employee) –  Massena, NYOctober 4, 2017
This internship was the highlight of all my internships. I was able to see things that I have never seen before, and that most people wont see. I loved that summer, but would not go back due to personal goals/reasons.
Be glad that NYPA is not tax-payer funded
Energy Services Contract Manager (Former Employee) –  White Plains, NYSeptember 28, 2017
A typical day at the New York Power Authority, if you are not in sales or management, is not very challenging. Coming from the private sector, I couldn't understand why things were done the way they are, but learned it's just the "public sector".

Saving grace was having outstanding managers who were interested in their team members, friendly, helpful, and met weekly with me allowing me to manage my time and work product. I felt valued.

That said, I would recommend NYPA to anyone who likes slow-paced "government" work that provides average benefits from what I understand. Not for everyone.
Pros
White Plains is a nice change of pace from NYC
Cons
Cubicles with high walls....everywhere
great sucirity rewarding work
Mechanical Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Massena, NYSeptember 27, 2017
was very good place to work quality work, rewarding most of the time great benefits and pay also job security, work place has changed over the years but very very good place
Pros
job securit, good people
Cons
some unskilled in jobs
Good Company for stability
Senior Electrical Engineer (Current Employee) –  Niagara Falls, NYSeptember 15, 2017
Great Company as far as benefits unfortunately advancement is very limited. In order to advance in the protection field I would have to relocate to White Plains NY
Poor Management
Engineer (Current Employee) –  White Plains, NYAugust 16, 2017
Top Heavy – Very hierarchical and bureaucratic. Many high paid titles with nebulous responsibilities.

Poorly managed but management thinks they are cutting edge.

Most promotions are the friends and family plan.
benefits
Too long ago to offer an up to date review
Director of Training and Administration Appraisal (Former Employee) –  White Plains, NYJuly 4, 2017
I worked at this organization over 40 years ago. This is too long ago to adequately write an up to day review. During the time I worked with this organization I found it to be a good place to work.
Financial Analyst
PFJ Analytical Associate (Former Employee) –  White Plains, NYJune 29, 2017
Brief and interesting experience a a Financial Analyst, work closely with accounts managers to analyze and tracking rebate calculations, reimbursement program associated with the Recharge New York (RNY) program for those 5,000 customers not receiving RNY allocations
Pros
Good networking workplace
Cons
Contract end
Dynamic and Brilliant State Agency
Contract Corporate Recruiter (Current Employee) –  White Plains, NYApril 24, 2017
The New York Power Authority has a culture that is very special. Everyone there is simply a pleasure to work with. The jobs to recruit for are far than typical due to the excellence that The New York Power Authority demands, however that just makes the job that much more challenging and rewarding.