New York Power Authority Employee Reviews

no comments
Contractor (Former Employee) –  White Plains, NY 10601October 14, 2018
I really don't have much to said I was there for a short period of time some of the people seeing nice to work with and is very political like every where else.
sound environment to work in
Energy Efficiency Developmental Intern (Former Employee) –  White Plains, NYAugust 14, 2018
A typical work day as a Developmental intern could be tasked a number of items such as developing an RFP, attending project site meetings, attending conference calls, looking at HVAC, electrical drawings. There is constantly something to be taken care of.
Pros
Pleasant colleagues
Great Place to work
Change Management Lead (Former Employee) –  White Plains, NYAugust 5, 2018
Good benefits, strong future. Committed Employees. Driving the future in energy and utilities. Renewed commitment by CEO to drive change. It is an exciting time to be at NYPA
Excellent work place with many job opportunities throughout the company. Excellent compensation along with health benefits.
Senior Mechanical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Grand Gorge, NYJuly 25, 2018
NYPA provided the necessary technical and non technical training to a very young Mechanical Engineer directly out of college, so that individual matured and grew as an experienced engineer. Working in a plant environment was an excellent balance between project design and maintenance activities.
Excellent salary and benefits
Principal Attorney II (Former Employee) –  White Plains, NYJuly 10, 2018
Professional environment with opportunities for advancement and varied work experience. Organized general and specific training programs for all levels of employees.
great working relationship with staff
PROJECT MANAGEMENT (Former Employee) –  White Plains, NYJuly 6, 2018
Great place to work really sorry I left. There were many opportunities available e.g training for PMP, CEM etc. transportation available for travel in state. AFLAC available,
Pros
friendly people and training opportunities available
Nypa
Security Sergeant (Former Employee) –  Massena, NYJune 9, 2018
Great job with great pay and benefits for the area. Stressful at times and long hours, shift work, etc. Quite a bit of OT available. 24/7/365 shift work. People in the department were great to work with.
contract position
Outage Planner/Scheduler (Former Employee) –  White Plains, NYJune 6, 2018
Worked many overtime hours. It was a brutal work schedule but I was happy to do it. It was the first SGRP done in the US and we all wanted it to be successful.
Pros
Great Pay
Cons
Very easy work and good pay/benefits
Various Sites, NY - Construction Engineer (Former Employee) –  Massena, NYFebruary 13, 2018
This was a good job for someone who wanted to live in the area (Massena, NY) and have a very stable job with good benefits until retirement. I learned a decent amount early on about hydro power in general but there isn't a lot of opportunity to do meaningful work. It got boring very quickly and I felt like my development was stunted which is why I left.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Not challenging
A team collaborative environment
Sr. Mechanical Designer (Current Employee) –  White Plains, NYFebruary 9, 2018
Work life balance can be difficult as travel is mandatory within NY State to the various plant sites.
The work is challenging and rewarding and the politically correct atmosphere can be frustrating.
Pros
4 weeks vacation to start
Cons
pay is low as compared to the marketplace
Sr. Analyst (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 2, 2018
It was a great place to work and learn about IT, business process reengineering, management, computers, budgeting and forecasting, nuclear power, fossil power
Good
Diversity and Inclusion Myth
Employee (Former Employee) –  Westchester County, NYFebruary 2, 2018
Would like to have seen more people of color and women in managerial positions or positions with significant decision making authority along with salary equity.
benefits
Cons
lack of diversity in managerial positions
Leaping into the next generation
Sr. Procurement Specialist (Contractor) (Former Employee) –  White Plains, NYFebruary 2, 2018
Working at NYPA, I have watched the company take tremendous steps into bringing the company into the next level of progressive movement. They are focusing on new technology and processes to keep a competitive pace with today's environment.
The management was very hands-off and interns were not given much work. The HR department took us on a field trip and it was very enjoyable.
Intern, Operations Portfolio Management Group (Former Employee) –  White Plains, NYJanuary 24, 2018
Most days I was bored and felt very under-utilized. I shared an office space with other interns and we all felt the same. The HR department was nice and we attended useful Lunch and Learns.
Fast paced, demanding and rewarding
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 23, 2018
Compiling, analyzing and reporting of long term financial projections to the Executive Staff and other Government agencies, including State and City, in a fast paced, demanding work environment.
Pros
Camaraderie with co-workers, 4 weeks vacation
Good Company
SECURITY MANAGER, SENY Region (Current Employee) –  Astoria, NYOctober 30, 2017
Good benefits, job security and advancement opportunities. Great place to further your education and experience. Competitive salary and employee perks.
Who you know
Engineer (Current Employee) –  WPO/NIA/CECOctober 17, 2017
Friends & family plan is the way to go. Union no doubt runs the show and most of the management is to far up the kissing tree to see this. If considering career here go to union side not management. Union brothers look out for their own....management is out for themselves and will step over you and not look back.
Pros
Great pay and benefits
Cons
WPO is too far away to really see what is going on....
Wonderful Internship
Project Management Developmental Intern (Former Employee) –  Massena, NYOctober 4, 2017
This internship was the highlight of all my internships. I was able to see things that I have never seen before, and that most people wont see. I loved that summer, but would not go back due to personal goals/reasons.
Be glad that NYPA is not tax-payer funded
Energy Services Contract Manager (Former Employee) –  White Plains, NYSeptember 28, 2017
A typical day at the New York Power Authority, if you are not in sales or management, is not very challenging. Coming from the private sector, I couldn't understand why things were done the way they are, but learned it's just the "public sector".

Saving grace was having outstanding managers who were interested in their team members, friendly, helpful, and met weekly with me allowing me to manage my time and work product. I felt valued.

That said, I would recommend NYPA to anyone who likes slow-paced "government" work that provides average benefits from what I understand. Not for everyone.
Pros
White Plains is a nice change of pace from NYC
Cons
Cubicles with high walls....everywhere
great sucirity rewarding work
Mechanical Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Massena, NYSeptember 27, 2017
was very good place to work quality work, rewarding most of the time great benefits and pay also job security, work place has changed over the years but very very good place
Pros
job securit, good people
Cons
some unskilled in jobs

Ask a question about working or interviewing at New York Power Authority. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about