New York Psychotherapy and Counseling Center NYPCC

New York Psychotherapy and Counseling Center NYPCC Employee Reviews

Favoritism and poor work ethics
Front Desk Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Bushwick, NYSeptember 24, 2018
I've been here a year and I have seen how the management picks and chose who is allowed to advance. I was hired under the impression that seniority is how they abide but that was a lie. There is also a lot of unnecessary personal vendettas at this job. Too much gossip. overall a toxic and hostile work environment. The job in itself is not too hard and its an ideal job had it not been for the people who work there. Most therapist are kind and friendly but the clerical staff are the worst. They do not consider anybody else unless its one of their own friends.
Pros
Paid time off
Cons
terrible schedule
Ability to get things done
Security Greeter (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYAugust 7, 2018
Work environment. Able to get things done in a timely manner. Staff and crew are very professional. Everyone respects each other and vice versa. Complete.
Pros
N/a
Cons
N/a
Overworked
Consulting Therapist (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYJuly 11, 2018
Too much work, not enough training. Basically you train yourself. Supervision is minimal. Reception staff can be overbearing at times. This will be an OK job if the supervisors were more invested in training the staff different techniques.
Good place to get experience
Psychotherapist (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJuly 4, 2018
Good place to start and get experience. You get a feel for the agency life and fast paced environment. Not so good of a place for long term. Even supervisors that make great money get burned out and stressed easily.. They believe in quantity of services.. Def over worked. LOTS of paperwork! Most reception staff at the 3 clinics are very non professional.
Pros
Can make good money with a large caseload
Cons
Quantity over quality; very high non-compliance
Productive and Casual
Human Resources Intern (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYJuly 2, 2018
Laid back atmosphere, lots of paperwork, phone calls, and interview. It's a good place to work if you want to be apart and help the mental health community.
Pros
Full benefits, special events; neat gifts
Cons
Short notice on everything
Work
Art Therapist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 28, 2018
A lot of great work with clients and great opportunity within a clinic setting. I am glad and grateful of the experience, I benefited from the work and the exposure to all the demographics and population I worked with.
Productive, fun and inspiring work place.
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJune 21, 2018
A typical day at work would consist of seeing the clients getting the help and treatment needed coming in and out of the facility daily, while also being surround by a big welcoming group/team of co workers, managers who are always there to help make sure things are in order, and the workplace environment teaches you a lot about learning how to be patient with others and yourself.
Pros
occasionally free/discounted lunches, tickets, blowing, sports games, while also being a part of a lovely crew of co workers.
Would not recommend.
Clerical Assistant/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMay 17, 2018
I worked here for almost 3 years and got absolutely NO recognition for the work I did. I helped train new employees and picked up the slack. I worked every weekend and rarely missed a day. You can’t trust anyone to have your back not even your office manager. They have a lot of favoritism and they don’t value their employees, unless of course you’re a favorite. The amount of work they give you is not worth the amount they pay you. You’re always the bad guy when it comes to the therapist and you’re only working clerical. I stayed for that long because I wasn’t going to leave a job without having secured a new one. In my opinion the environment is just toxic and people will throw you under the bus any chance they get. The only good thing I got out of it was the experience.
Pros
Good for gaining experience.
Cons
Poor pay for the amount of work given to you, Upper management never has your back.
Avoid for your own SANITY
Clerical Support (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYApril 2, 2018
This place Treats clerical staff very poorly! Administrators are poor with communication. Worse 9 months of my career. Therapist are always freaking complaining and stressed, which makes clerical and clients on edge. Clients are non compliant and INCONSISTENT so therapist do not get paid a salary. Benefits are a joke. This job has made me want to focus on finishing my bachelors degree. No room or advancement. Execs and administrators are a joke. They do not care about the staff or the clients. Also, this place is a revolving door. By the time you get to know new therapist they leave!!!
Pros
Left overs from new employee groups, snow days
Cons
Low pay, lack of communication high turn over rate.
Good Experience
Therapist (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYFebruary 18, 2018
It's very fast paced. So you burn out pretty quickly but you can make good money. Get contact with a lot of populations. Get a lot of experience in short amount of time.
The pay is good but the demands are high
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYJanuary 29, 2018
The turnaround rate is high. Upper management is cut throat. There is high favoritism here. If you stand up for yourself you are seen as combative and insubordinate.
I really love working for NYPCC
Current Employee (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYDecember 26, 2017
I've been with the agency for over a year and have really enjoyed my experience. Part of the reason why I joined NYPCC was to give back to the community. That’s exactly what we do here.
My Supervisor is very knowledgeable and has been a great support and guide during my time here. He really goes out of his way to assist me whenever I need help.

I love the open door policy. I can go directly to my Supervisor or the Program Administrator or directly to the CEO of the company. Their doors are always open.

I see that they are working on putting together more training for the staff, which I think is great. I like that whenever I make a suggestion, someone listens and they take it into consideration. Some of my suggestions have already been implemented. It’s hard to find somewhere to work where your voice can be heard.

Thanks NYPCC!!!
Pros
Medical, Dental and Vision plans are paid 100%; great perks; end of the year bonuses, salary increases; PTO package; open door policy
Cons
There isn't a match on the 403b plan
My Opinion
Clinical Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 20, 2017
The company is selfish. The administration wants the company itself to prosper but not their workers. I was a clerical and we were treated with less respect by both patient and staff yet when we had our meeting we was continuously reminded on how we were the face of the clinic and how we are basically the foundation to the place but we got treated other wise. To get a promotion is like waiting for pigs to talk. The only thing good about the place is the friendship you form within the place but even that was kind of sketchy (you not their to make friend anyways). That place if full of untrustworthy people. Picture yourself working in a place where you feel unease. And for those who are asking why i stayed so long, because at the end of the day its a job, my source of income, and it difficult finding a job with a set schedule and steady pay in NYC. Hopefully that place undergoes new management.
Pros
steady paycheck, set schedule, discount
Cons
everything but the pros
Official response from New York Psychotherapy and Counseling Center NYPCC
December 22, 2017

We are sorry to hear that your experience at NYPCC was less than excellent. We continue to strive to make NYPCC an agency of growth for our employees, with our main mission of serving the mental health community.

it is a great place to work in if you have the support needed to complete the task
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYNovember 21, 2017
My typical day at my work is, the clinic opens at 8am, i come in at that time, set my desk, tell the clerical where i want them to sit and what i want them to do. Clients starts coming in at that time and the flows continues throughout the day. The hardest part is when i get bombarded with a lot of therapist/clerical asking me millions of question at the same time but i'm able to handle it with my positive attitude. At the end of the day, it gives me a great satisfaction that i was able to help as many employees as i could.
Pros
poor support from upper management
Cons
I enjoyed what i do
Work Summary
Mental Health Counselor Intern (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYOctober 2, 2017
This is a great place to gain experience as a clinician. However, financially due to it being fee for service can be difficult. As a result, of the clients non-compliance.
Horrible
Security (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYSeptember 19, 2017
No advancement and no one looks out for each other and the clientele are horrible to deal with. No one does any work and it is utter chaos at all times of day.
no fun
Bilingual Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYSeptember 5, 2017
A typical day at work as a clerk was making appointments, answering phone calls, getting charts.

The hardest part of the job was that the work was not shared among all the clerks.
It was a 5
Office Clerk (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYAugust 31, 2017
so stressful Office manager made the day harder
There is no safety Phone would ring off the hook and no1 would pick up the phone They had they share of favoritism
Great Learning Experience
Therapist (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYAugust 25, 2017
The experience that I have gained here is great. There is always someone available if you need assistance. Quick-paced and lots of paperwork. You need to be a go getter and think of it as your own business as well as being really good at time management. Clinical staff positions are fee-for-service with a guarnteed pay period (several weeks) until you build your case load (does not take long given that there can be a waiting list at times). The fee-for-service model can lead you to want a high case load to make up for non-complaint clients which can lead to other areas of your work or life to suffer. Depending on the program for which you work for weekend day is required (outpatient clinics are open 7 days).
Pros
Varied clientele, great learning opportunity, benefits, paid time off, and easily accumulate licensing hours.
Cons
Fee-for-service, long hours, having to work weekends and lack of peer interaction.
Late evening hours
Therapist (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJuly 19, 2017
NYPCC is a great opportunity for new graduates to gain clinicial experience. The down side is that your on your own as this clinic prepares you if you would like to have your own practice one day. Supervision was an aweful experience.
Pros
No micro management
Cons
Lack of supervision assistance

Ask a question about working or interviewing at New York Psychotherapy and Counseling Center NYPCC. Our community is ready to answer.

New York Psychotherapy and Counseling Center NYPCC Reviews by Location