New York Public Interest Research Group

New York Public Interest Research Group Employee Reviews

Excellent Place to Build Leadership Skills
Consumer Justice Project Leader (Former Employee) –  New Paltz, NYOctober 30, 2018
This job helped me get out of my comfort zone. It was challenging at times because of new experiences. All was positive and helpful to the immediate community.
At first it's slow... And then it becomes worth it.
Canvasser (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 12, 2018
As a canvasser I must admit it is very overwhelming at first. On your first day you are assigned a trainer for the first two hours, in which you are compensated with minimum wage ($13/per hr). From there you are responsible to start knocking on doors on your own for the rest of the night, and the rest of the time there.

The first week is the hardest, because you are still trying to remember all of the facts and what to say at the door. But as time passes you will get so much better. Also it is important to go to the available training sessions which begin at 1pm, an hour before work. There you will learn even more valuable skills to use in the field and within your personal life.

If you believe that climate change is one of the greatest threats humans face today, and you have good people skills or want to develop conversational/negotiation skills this is the job for you. Yes it is scary, there are good days, and then there are bad days but you end up leaving the position with a greater sense of how political activism works, and how to reach out and activate local communities by word of mouth.

You will be uncomfortable asking people for money at first, but most of the communities you are placed in can afford the amounts you are asking. Plus the worst answer you could receive is no, and for every few rejections, there is always a yes. Also you get to visit these amazing neighborhoods, that you wouldn't think of visiting without this kind of incentive.

NYPIRG has a long history of making changes to New York State policy, and door to door canvassing is a huge part of
  more... the reason why it has been so successful.

No online campaign is as long lasting, and fundraising people door to door means that the money comes form small local donors rather than big corporations. The people are what support NYPIRG, not big money. Canvassing just happens to be the most effective way to keep the organization running.

I would not recommend the job to people who really do not like being outside, or who are not physically fit for walking long distances. You will walk up hills and down driveways, in rain or shine, and also have to smile while your doing it.

The NYPIRG canvassers become part of your family for the summer, and often it feels like a summer camp, for doing good and important work.

So was it worth it for me. Absolutely.
Pros
Being outside, NYPIRG is a family, can be lucrative, good learning opportunity
Cons
Sometimes Exhausting, Expect Rejection from strangers daily, lots of walking
Diverse
Canvasser (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYSeptember 17, 2018
Motivated Loyal Workers That Embrace The Culture! I Learned Attitude Is Half The Day To Day Battle! Also Not To Look Out For Self Interests. As We Slowly Became A Family.
The Jist
Intern (Current Employee) –  Staten Island, NYAugust 27, 2018
Working for NYPIRG is a very intriguing organization you are primarily helping better new york with your voice and actions . The best part is executing a plan and seeing it come through
Pros
building a great community
Cons
taking on issues that you might feel uncomfatable with
Assistant
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYAugust 10, 2018
Worked around Bronx Community College planned events notify students about upcoming events or sign-up campaigns that had to do with either the environment or what is going around the campus
Pros
Breaks between over pressure work
Cons
a lot of work sometimes so little time
Very unprofessional and not well structured
Canvasser (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 5, 2018
To be fair, this was my first experience canvasing, but I had higher expectations than this.
On my first day I was representing NYPIRG and thrown out on my own to knock on doors and ask for donations, granted this is a fast pase job, but still I was told I would have a full day of observation, this was not the case.
I did not feel confortable representing NYPIRG without first getting familiar with all aspects of my purpose as a part of the organization. Simply put: THEY DID NOT CARE to give me detailed information of how the donations where going to be used or any background information on the neighborhood I was canvasing.
They expected me to blindly repeat pieces of information, word for word, without giving me a chance to familiarize myself with that info and educate myself on the subject.
In other words they did not care to have misinformed people representing them, so long as you got donations. This seemed morally apprehensible, specially when the people I was encountering needed (most of all) to be educated on the subject.

Educating people should be the most important task of all in order to get people to care, let alone give some hard earned money to the cause. It felt like I was a very cheap sales agent.

To top it all off, when I made the decision that NYPIRG was not the right fit for me, the manager of my group initiated a verbal altercation, yelling at me in the middle of the street. I have never in my life experienced such unprofessionalism and childishness in a work environment.

I think this group has great values and intentions but the execution
  more... is seriously lacking, and professionalism non-existent. People coming on board should have more background on organization operations, the same transparency you want politicians to have, you should work towards having for new hires.  less
Pros
Good values
Cons
No professionalism
Good place for recent grads
Project Coordinator Clean Water Quality Project (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 1, 2018
This is a not for profit policy group. It provides a good entry position for persons who are interested in protecting the environment, higher educational rights of students and healthcare among others.
Pros
Good introduction to lobbying and behind the scene working of our state legislations & legislators, good health insurance
Cons
limited room for upward mobility
Great for college students
Canvasser (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYJuly 10, 2018
As a canvasser for NYPIRG you'll be outside for most of the day m-f during the summer months. It can be tiring and mentally and physically. Anyone with decent social skills and the ability to retain new information on their current and past campaigns can do well. The neighborhoods you canvass in are typically the safe suburban upper middle class types. If you enjoy talking to people and you care about the environment/positive policy reform you'll likely enjoy it. Sometimes there are internships available for those who have an interest in the field of politics and/or environmental advocacy.
Interesting
Board Director/Project Leader/Canvasser (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 2, 2018
This was an interesting experience in advocacy and the environment was generally very fun to be around people who were like minded and cultivated a cultured that enabled hard work.
Textbook Grassroots Organizing
Canvasser (Former Employee) –  New Paltz, NYJune 28, 2018
Although the schedule of Monday-Friday from 2pm to 10 pm was quite demanding while balancing it with my music production, I genuinely enjoyed my time here. The energy and enthusiasm to organize against big fossil fuel interests and win is unmatched and I was genuinely excited to learn something new every day and hang out with my coworkers often. Success here truly relies on one's motivation and desire to succeed.
Pros
Collaborative and Passionate Environment, Fun place to be
Cons
Long hours, self motivation is a must
Building people skills, one door at a time.
Canvasser (Former Employee) –  New Paltz, NYJune 24, 2018
My work at NYPIRG taught me a lot about what people want out of a political campaign. They want to feel your passion and they want you to demonstrate your knowledge of the issue. That is what gets people involved when you only have a minute to convince them your cause is important, and why they should write you a check for $365 right there at the door!
Pros
a new workplace every day
Cons
hard hours
Makes you question what you really stand for
Canvasser (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYJune 8, 2018
This job literally made me question if I actually cared about the environment, or if I was just in it for the money. I very much cared what they stood for, but when they don't even pay you a living wage, you start not to care about what you're actually saying and just about how much money what you say will bring in.
Pros
Fun
Cons
Commission, stressful, long hours
Sketchy
Research Intern (Former Employee) –  New Paltz, NYJune 1, 2018
Company was very weird and looked like a scam half the time, you were paid based on commission which is bad because your commission is based off of the amount of donations you receive.
Commission based racket
Canvasser (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYMay 30, 2018
If you want to make a legitimate change, don't waste your time canvassing for this organization on bare minimum pay. It does not provide you with room to move up, and quite frankly it seems like a big racket. Pay is dependant upon sales essentially, and there are many other organizations more deserving of your time.
Cons
Low Pay
Fun work place
Canvasser/Field Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 3, 2018
Great place to work if you are good at talking to people but also this is a commission based job. There might be days that you only make $10 but other days if you hit a good neighboorhood you can walk away with $100 easy.
A good job if you can do it
Field Manager (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYApril 3, 2018
If you're good at going door to door and talking to people, you'll be able to make a lot of money and make some great friends. However, this job is not for everyone, and there were tons of people who tried it out for a few days and then quit. But the people who were good at it and stuck around did make a lot of money and were fun to hang out with.
Pros
Cool people, get to be outdoors, learn the area, do something that matters
Cons
late hours, commission based, only works for some people
good times
Member of the Board of Directors (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 27, 2018
Its a great place with great people, you really get to do the work that you love and meet with people that carry the same passions as you do, it a wonderful time and much joy is always there.
Good for college students
Intern (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYMarch 22, 2018
Students who want to pursue social justice will love this job. You will register voters, help the homeless and hungry and will have a great opportunity to get involved at the grass root level.
Great for political advancement.
Canvasser (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYMarch 14, 2018
This job consists of canvassing door to door to help gather donations for a particular environmental cause. This job consists of mostly college age students who are passionate about their beliefs. If one is passionate, and is okay with working strictly on a commission basis then i would highly recommend this job.
Fun place to Work over the Summer
Field Manager (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYFebruary 6, 2018
Great summer job. You will meet fun people and make a difference in NY politics at the grassroots level. You meets lots of people in the community as well.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at New York Public Interest Research Group. Our community is ready to answer.