New York State Department of Health Employee Reviews

Fun, Enjoyable, Individualistic
Internship (Former Employee) –  Mineola, NYApril 19, 2018
It was a fun summer job going into senior year. By sampling beach water for certain bacterial indicators allowed me to enjoy the field work I did all summer.
Great First Formal Job Experience
Student Intern (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYFebruary 13, 2018
I have been working here since I first graduated from my MSW and it has been a wonderful experience. I have learned a lot and have been able to develop my skills greatly.
Knowledge regarding mental health and court mandated consumers will increase
SOCIAL WORK SUPERVISOR II (Current Employee) –  Long Island City, NYFebruary 11, 2018
The day to day work varies depending on the consumer's compliance with the court order. Each Social Worker is expected to follow up with the providers to ensure that the consumers are seen in a timely manner and are adhering with the court order. In the event the consumer is a danger to themselves due to noncompliance with treatment and medications, the Social Worker is responsible for requesting and submitting from the provider in order for a Removal to be completed; in order for the consumer to be taken to the hospital for evaluation or hospital admission. Social Workers along with the Psychiatrist also develop the consumer's treatment plan.
Pros
Team effect
Always room for growth
HEALTH INSURANCE AGENT (Former Employee) –  Albany NewYorkFebruary 1, 2018
The company was cultural, organized, and growing. There was always an opportunity to move up the ladder with different positions. I have learned a fair amount of the health care field, which was very challenging in the best way. I enjoyed the challenges this job threw my way because it helped me become a better agent for our customers.
Pros
401K plan
Cons
Excellent place to have a career.
Secretary I (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYJanuary 31, 2018
I enjoyed working for the state. I had many responsibilities so every day presented different tasks. I have learned a great deal of computer skills/knowledge. The management treated staff fairly. The workplace culture was very fulfilling because it focused on helping people in need. The hardest part of the job was sometimes leaving work on time. I am a very conscientious and dedicated employee and take great pride in my work. The most enjoyable part of the job was knowing that I helped in some way to make a positive difference in someone's life. Very rewarding type of work.
Productive and awesome place to work
Research Scientist (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYJanuary 28, 2018
Great place to work. People are really nice and focus more on training rather than having you to figure out work. There is abundant to learn they really strive for best effort.
Nice place to work
Senior Laboratory Animal Caretaker (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYJanuary 28, 2018
I worked here quite a few years ago, and although I did not like my manager and some of my co-workers, the facility itself is a good place to work. I do not remember if I had to pay for parking.
Pros
Decent parking, there was a cafeteria with food to purchase when I worked there. Clean restrooms and lockers.
Great Learning Experience
Student Intern (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYJanuary 28, 2018
Working at the NYSDOH was an amazing experience and I had the ability to learn a lot from the other workers. I would have loved to work there longer, by amy position was just a one-semester internship.
Good Internship
Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 23, 2018
Gained experience working with small team. Learned about the state healthcare marketplace. The office was quiet but I had pleasant co-workers and great role models to learn from.
poor management
Public Health Specialist III (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYDecember 27, 2017
The management is poor, which makes it hard for advancement. Most of management or those in upper division have been with the company for a long time and are keeping their seats wants to retire.
Great
Surveyor (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYDecember 27, 2017
This was governmental , challenging and provided much support in completing difficult assignments. field investigation , interviews , pulling factual issues together and writing a report that was defensivable in a court of law.
Productive and Dependable
Procurement Auditor (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYDecember 11, 2017
Procuring, Business and Financial Analysis, IT, modelling, Negotiations. I have a four-year-customer service experience. I have mailroom, typing and research experience
Very busy pace and heavy workload
DIRECTOR (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYDecember 5, 2017
It was a very challenging position of high importance. I liked the pace and enjoyed the health care finance industry, however I felt underappreciated for how much experience and knowledge I had and how hard I worked, so I left for a better opportunity. It is a good place to work to gain knowledge and experience in the health care financing industry, which can be lucrative outside of state government.
Pros
Time off and retirement benefits
Cons
Limited opportunity for advancement
Old boy network
Senior Public Health Sanitarian (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 13, 2017
Enjoyed my time there but no advancement at all. They only advance their friends and if you are not in the in crowd they use you until you cant stand it anymore
Pros
Cons
no advancement
It was a wonderful experience
Program Manager/Project Manager (Former Employee) –  New Rochelle, NYNovember 12, 2017
Excellent learning opportunities and promotional opportunities I was promoted 3 times and the staff was professional and knowledgeable
Loved the job The staff worked well in teams
Almost like a family to me
Retired in 2012 due to move to Florida with husband
Pros
Fast paced and interesting
Cons
Could be stressful late hours on occassion
Fun and energetic work place.
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Watertown, NYNovember 7, 2017
Electric work environment, interesting, productive, fun and educational. Learned many things, restaurant inspections, large gatherings of people that included food, issuing permits, seasonal business operations and much more.
Very stressful
Assistant Research Scientist (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYOctober 29, 2017
Very stressful, not enough time to complete required tasks. Recently, we are being required to complete more work in less time, which is making the workplace more unbearable than before. We are also losing workers and not being approved to hire replacements.
Great Learning experience
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 6, 2017
I loved working here because things constantly changed. There almost something new to learn each day. A diverse culture which I found awesome. Plenty of room to grow.
Numerous training classes available
Office Assistant 2 (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYOctober 1, 2017
An average work day would include processing applications, forwarding checks to Revenue Department, and constant contact with New York State County Health Departments in regards to Radon detector kits they have ordered. Management would hold regular meetings to keep staff updated with future projects.
Pros
Health insurance, Structure for advancement
Cons
No overtime
Forward Thinking
Project Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 30, 2017
Filled with innovation and forward thinking.
Working towards a common goal but at times have to deal with politics and logistics.
Goal-oriented and determined workplace