New York State Education Department Employee Reviews

Good career opportunity
Research Specialist (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYJanuary 28, 2018
The New York State Education Dept. is a large organization with many employment opportunities in a variety of job titles with excellent pay and benefits.
Pros
opportunities for beginning professionals, salary and benefits
Cons
limited opportunity for advancement in some titles
Great Place to work
Web Development Intern (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYJune 10, 2018
Great Place to work. I really enjoyed my time with them and they really helped me grow as a person. What I learned there prepared me to have a successful career.
New York State Education Department
VOCATIONAL REHABILITATION COUNSELOR (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYFebruary 21, 2018
Working for the NYSED is a fabulous opportunity to serve the community. We have a chance every day to do something to benefit the lives of our students. I'm grateful too for the benefits package that we have and fair salary.
Great place to work but salaries are low
Managing Director (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYApril 18, 2018
Good place to work. People are a pleasant change to work with. The salary versus the cost of living in New York is not enough to live in the city. Bye bye.
Excellent Place to work
Policy Analyst Intern (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYJuly 16, 2018
The managers appreciate the work you do. Flexible shift timings. Got an opportunity to learn lot of technical thinks in short span of time. A lot of responsibility - ability to work individually as well as a team.
Productive and fun working from home
Curriculum Practioner (Former Employee) –  Ventura, CAJuly 12, 2018
The most enjoyable part of the job was sitting in front of my computer and collaborating with experienced educators! We came together for the good of the children exploring math.
Pros
Working from home
Cons
The program came to an end
Learning experience
My Brother's Keeper Grant Manager (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYJuly 9, 2018
This is a great opportunity to learn about government at a macro level and, depending on your department, at a micro level. There is a large amount of politic involved but manageable.
Busy
Clerk 2 (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 3, 2018
Most of the time I would address students issues in person by walk-in and telephone inquiries. Research the database for information along with assisting the investigators.
Great place for a career
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYMay 10, 2018
Professional fast passed friendly environment
Met friendly professional people. With that it makes the work day all that much more comfortable with the feeling of appreciation of what we as a unit do day in day out for a safe working environment..
Good Part-Time Work
Education Specialist (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYApril 3, 2018
I worked mostly from home so I got to set my own time frame to accomplish my objectives. Also, we were allotted a set number of hours to get the work done and were paid for those hours, not matter how much or little time it took to do the work.
great place to work
Custodial Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYMay 2, 2017
NYSDOE is a very good place to work. it has great benefits and a competitive salary and pension plan for all of its employees. it provides many opportunities for advancement.
Enjoyable work experience, liked the training
Trainee, Vocational Welding (Former Employee) –  Marcy, NYMarch 1, 2018
When shown what was expected, I was able to move up to teachers assistant quickly. I gained pride when others were able to learn from me. Communication with the trainer was easy and fulfilling of any questions.
Pros
Positive work environment
Cons
Short length of classes
Fast paced
Director of Programming (Current Employee) –  Plattsburgh, NYMarch 14, 2018
ADK P-TECH is an early college high school program focused on Advanced Manufacturing, and Design. Student must apply for acceptance into the program. ADK P-TECH students are diverse; there is no one definition that fits all. Students are innovative risk takers.
Challenging place to work
Project Assistant - Special Legislative Projects (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYMay 25, 2016
NYSED was a challenging place to work; necessary to learn a new State government computer application to verify grants/contracts; limited number of people had experience using application; difficult be able to get assistance when there were issues with grant submissions or with the computer application; position was a temporary job
Pros
pay, benefits, hours of work
Cons
temporary job, poor management support; little assistance resolving important issues
Productive and Great place to work
Education Program Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYApril 23, 2016
I have worked at NYSED Office of the Professions most of my life it opened my eyes to a world I may not have seen. SED was great to me and my children and I was great to them in return.
Benefits
Cons
The distance I have to travel now
Awesome staff....Awesome kids
Paraprofessional/Teacher's Aide (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJuly 25, 2017
Very balanced environment, the ultimate goal is the success of the kids and everyone is on par with that. We take time out to plan lunches together or to grab a bite after work as a group. Awesome place to work.
Productive and interesting place to work
Keyboard Specialist (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYMay 18, 2015
I enjoyed working for the NY STATE Education Dept.I was a front desk receptionist and enjoyed working with people and doing data input. My typical day was to meet and greet clients answer any questions they may have about the confidential program. I answer phones, typed and posted itineraries online and to proper persons. Billing and coding and setting up meeting rooms for attorneys. The hardest part of the job is when we could not meet a clients needs. The most enjoyable part of the job was the customer service contacts.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Downtown
Very well-oiled machine in the office of diverse, wonderful people
Office Assistant I (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYJanuary 23, 2016
The summary says it all. They let you do your job, waste no time in asking for assistance and the pay and benefits are terrific.
Sr. Business System Analyst/Scrum Master
Sr. Business System Analyst/Scrum Master (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 27, 2016
• Experience in assisting project team leads in tracking budget and status of multiple medium and large scale projects, and also maintained all process documentations using MS Visio.
• Expertise in tracing requirements throughout the development process and verifying their adherence to Requirement Traceability Matrix (RTM).
• Extensive knowledge of Databases, Fact-Dimension Schemas, Data Marts and OLAP operations such as Roll-up, Drilldown, Slicing and Dicing.
• Ensured the project documentations are completed & signed off on timely manners.
• Familiar with RDBMS and able to handle SQL to manage and retrieve data from the database.
• Received many internal and external appreciations. Been awarded the best performing Agent Award from client.
• Experienced in working with Three-tier architecture, and converting business functionalities into Service Oriented Architecture (SOA) models across heterogeneous IT environments.
• Experience working in AJAX, Web Services (SOAP, WSDL), client side validation and server side validation.
Pros
good skills
Cons
improve
Good work experience
Senior Accountant (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYFebruary 24, 2015
I learned a lot about proper management approaches. I also learned valuable skills need to perform compliance audits.