New York State Office of Children and Family Services

New York State Office of Children and Family Services Employee Reviews

rough job
Safety Officer (Current Employee) –  Dix Hills, NYJuly 26, 2018
alot of responsibilities with everyone blaming each other. Hard to gorw due to lack of permant positions being available. But if u become permanent your job is safe
Pros
benifits
Cons
hours
poor management
Administrator of Facility Services/Youth Counselor (Former Employee) –  South Kortright, NYJuly 13, 2018
A poor place to work with poor management from the top down, very unprofessional and full of retaliatory measures taken against employees. Nothing good to say about this place or anyone in charge
Very fulfilling and gratifying place to work with the youth.
Youth Division Aide III (YDA III) (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJuly 12, 2018
OCFS provided a very fulfilling and gratifying experience working with at risk youth and a staff with a wealth of experience in that field.Learned how to work with diverse groups, thinking and act in the moment and also learned the value of relationship building.
cohesive work culture
Nurse Practitioner (Former Employee) –  Highland, NYJuly 3, 2018
the work load was light, the staff worked in a cohesive manner as they attended to the residents needs, the management was organized and put the care of their residents first
Great for a starting job, almost everyone is friendly
Executive Computer Support (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 24, 2018
It was a great starting job, however limited room to grow, thus is why a lot of young adults leave. The environment can be toxic at times, but for the most part its not.
Good place
CO Teacher NYS OCFS at Brookwood Secure (Current Employee) –  Claverack, NYMay 17, 2018
Good place to work. You do a lot of training and help other tremendously. You learn how to teach more efficient and do your best. You learn many things from your colleagues.
Friendly With A Steady Workflow
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 14, 2018
On a normal day the office is calm upon a 9am arrival and buzzing by 10am with various individuals getting ready for their hearing. By 2pm the office is calm again but with there's a ton of paperwork to done. Everyone is very helpful, always ready to answer questions about a specific task or the law. Although visitors at times can be rude, the friendly and helpful staff makes it a pleasant place to work.
Pros
Very friendly supportive staff
Cons
Rude visitors
Stressfull environment
Director, Management Services (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYMay 12, 2018
Stressful work environment at Children and Family Services workplace. Juvinile detention centers provide many challenges to both the labor force and mananegment staff
Overall the experience was a good one.
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYApril 26, 2018
Like most jobs it had its' ups and downs. I enjoyed the atmosphere and the service they provided are needed in the community. There was a level of professionalism that I was attracted to and wish them the best in their endeavors.
Pros
Service to those that take advantage of the opportunity.
Cons
I wished I could have remained longer actually permanently.
My brief Summary
Youth Leadership Academy (Former Employee) –  Delaware County, NYApril 24, 2018
I learned a lot through my colleagues. The resistance were fair and loved me. Also, view me as not only a mentor but a big bother. They knew that I was friendly but when it came time to get the job done, it was done. Whenever the residence need advice or help I was there. Sometime I would entertain them to a certain extent but most importantly they knew that I was a big bother. Although, I was not there long I learn a lot not only throughout the facility but training. Our main priority is enforcing and practicing the safety and security of the facility. Not only for our safety but the safety of others as well as the residents. I really enjoyed working with my co-workers and the youths. If I can do it all over again. I will.
Pros
The establishment and rapport that I built with everyone.
Cons
The chain of command and how the system works their.
Everyone was very nice and respectful
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rensselaer, NYMarch 22, 2018
I would come in sign in check emails and messages. Answer emails and report to supervisor to go over the days work schedule. The hardest part was when my contract was up having to leave co workers I had become friends with.
Pros
one hour lunch
Cons
alot of chit chat
Stressful
Youth Detention Aide (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 21, 2018
While on probation someone can lose their job just by someone's opinion of them. Job security is great once passed the probation period. Great benefits
Human Services for incarcerated juveniles (male or female)
Secretary 1 (Former Employee) –  Auburn, NYMarch 9, 2018
Health and Human Services facility assisting in the education and rehabilitation of troubled, court-ordered incarceration of youth population ages 12-18.

Culture and management very positive in creating a healthy and balanced instruction of positive reinforcement for troubled youth.
Pros
Watching the transformation of troubled youth from negative to positive
Cons
Youth who returned to the lifestyle and behaviors that caused them to be incarcerated.
Good teaching positirion
Behavioral Students Teacher (Former Employee) –  Cortland, NYJanuary 8, 2018
Management delegated teaching responsibilities. Core teaching objectives were provided. Management allowed teachers to teach with their own teaching techniques.
Pros
Professional Delagation
Cons
Students somewhat unruly
Friendly people to work with
Secretary/Front Desk Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYDecember 29, 2017
Although this was a temporary assignment, I enjoyed working with the people.

I was responsible for answering phone lines, sorting the mail, creating files, coping and faxing.
Pros
Friendly enviroment
Cons
Temporary assignment
Best job I ever had.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rensselaer, NYDecember 27, 2017
I worked here for over 8 years. This was the best job that I ever had. I enjoyed the staff that I worked with, the environment and the work that I was doing.
Great Place to Work
Children and Family Specialist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 14, 2017
There is an opportunity for learning and growth. The managers are supportive and there is fullfillment in working to improve New York State and New York City child welfare services.
Positive Opportunity
Youth Division Aide-III (Former Employee) –  Johnstown, NYNovember 30, 2017
Worked as a Youth Division Aide helping court adjudicated youth rehabilitate and grow into responsible adults. It was rewarding helping the youth but could be very dangerous. Many times you are mandated to work an extra shift.
Pros
Helping the youth in the system
Cons
Mandates and violence
Great, and rewarding work
Child Abuse Specialist (Current Employee) –  Spring Valley, NYNovember 7, 2017
I genuinely enjoy the work that I do. The hardest part of the job is not taking it home with me. I enjoy the people I work with and have learned so much in my role. I am disappointed in the way in which the state is set up as there is minimal room for advancement in the title I am in.
Pros
rewarding career, interesting work.
Cons
minimal advancement, very poor management
Co-workers are talented and very well prepared
Customer Service Representative I/Per Diem (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 16, 2017
Overall it is a good place to work in, and the culture is very serious and goal oriented. The work culture does have a focus on sustaining a healthy life style by eating healthy in the cafeteria, with good options, and walking in breaks in the basement's walking lane.
Pros
Strict Routine
Cons
Training is very intense and the material was very difficult