New York State Office of Mental Health Employee Reviews

na
AOT Compliance Specialist I, Full Time Employed (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYOctober 9, 2018
This was a decent place to work; however, management needs some help. Managers should be required to attend supervisory training and not left up to the individual supervisor.
Pros
na
Cons
na
private and trusting
Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner (Current Employee) –  Middletown, NYSeptember 5, 2018
A position held with upmost respect dealing with some of the most traumatic events of a persons life. Position is stressful and requires patience and extreme documentation accuracy
Day at work
INTERN, RESEARCH SCIENTIST (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYJuly 19, 2018
it is a fast pace work with a lot to do. i learn about different medical disease and mental health in the New York state and data analysis. we have a great team management and my co-workers are all supportive in completing team assignment. The hardest part of my job is having a hard time reaching our manager and the most enjoyable is making a difference in peoples life.
Pros
room improvement and advancement
Cons
high health insurance premium
Tiring and repetitive
Mental Health Therapy Aide (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 27, 2018
The hardest parts of the job were being assaulted by patients and dealing with an uncaring management. I learned how to deal with the mentally ill patients that have various mental conditions and trauma. The most enjoyable part of the job was when patients would come back after being discharged to you know how well they are doing and that you played a part in that.
Pros
Gain experience working with at risk youth and minors diagnosed with mental illness
Cons
Short breaks, management and supervisers blaming employees for things out of their control
Doesn't have the opportunities that it once did
Information Technology Specialist 3 (Database) (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYMay 9, 2018
As across NYS, public sector many managers have no permanent State staff. Retirees are being replaced by Hourly Based ITS workers (HBITS). Management loves it because it means job security as none of their staff can ever work toward applying for or filling the managers job. The problem is the competency level of the Hourly workers is not consistent
Pros
Health Benefits
Cons
Advancement requires exam to get on promotion lists
job description
Food Service Worker I (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYMarch 12, 2018
serving people with mental disabilities with breakfast , lunch and dinner also transporting snacks during evenings. cleaning serving area, and dinning areas taking trash out and sweeping and mopping. also responsible for food prep for the following day. assisting cooks with food preparation.
Pros
part time
Cons
not full time
Was great place to have a career
Standards Compliance Specialist / AOT Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Poughkeepsie, NYMarch 5, 2018
Very happy to have worked for OMH for over 36 years. Great benefits and opportunities for advancement. Allows you to move in many different directions building on your experiences. Keeps you interested in going to work
Great Place To Learn
Forensic Peer Specialist (Former Employee) –  Wards Island, NYOctober 31, 2017
Excellent Experience! Excellent security and Fun Coworkers! Great benefits Excellent Security NYS Police Are Utilized as External Security and The Staff Helps to assist with Whatever is needed.
mental health tech
Region IV Crisis Center (Current Employee) –  Batesville, MSAugust 10, 2017
A typical day at region IV crisis center would include me clocking in at 7 am signing the clients paperwork and after that I would take their vital signs and log them in the computer. I would walk to the cafeteria with the patients and monitor the while they ate. Next the nurse would administer the medicine to the patients and after that we would allow them to go outside to smoke but I would have to monitor them, they could go outside every two hours until bedtime.The most enjoyable part of the job is when the patients attend group because we discuss very important topics. The hardest part of my job would be when a patient becomes maniac and out of control and myself and another tech would have to assist the nurse in transporting the patient onto level one away from the rest of the patients.I learned to be more patient with people mental disability.
Pros
free meals
Cons
no benefits because I am part-time
Excellent Benefits
clerical staff (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYJune 5, 2017
Overall, the company provides stability and excellent benefits. However, there is no room for growth within the company. Although there are opportunities to take examinations, they hire outsiders before current employees.
Pros
Provides excellent benefits
Cons
No room for growth within the company.
Okay
Oracle DBA (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYFebruary 22, 2017
Job security and benefits of the public sector used to make up for the relatively low salary. That is no longer the case. Creation of HBITS in 2012 eliminated much opportunity for advancement.
Pros
Cost of Benefits
Cons
Salaries are slow to increase and are often cut as NYS budget needs arise
Co-workers very supportive
Housing specialist for non-profit agency (Former Employee) –  Kenmore, NYAugust 28, 2016
The best part of this job is that mostly everyone was in mentalhealth recovery. It was nice not to be secretive about my mental health issues.
Pros
very independent environment
Cons
New HR company took control. "If it's not broken, don't fix it."
Not a positive agency to work for
Rehabilitation Counselor II (Former Employee) –  Comstock, NYMay 31, 2016
I choose not to speak further about this. I had an awful experience despite doing everything I could to maintain my employment.
Some very nice people but very poor management.
Trainer/Consultant-Training Video Producer (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYMay 22, 2016
I spent 10 years at OMH and they functioned like most government organizations.
Most of the workers were career civil service people and they did not have the proper incentives to do quality work.
Many good people with very poor management and structure.
Pros
Stable Employment
Cons
Management was well below par.
productive job
Environment Services Aide (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 14, 2016
I have been learning a lot of environmental field as buffer machine, how to do shampoo the carpet, and so on. My workers show me some technical about this field.
Pros
a lot of activities
Cons
I don't have union.
Busy Office with lots of Coworkers
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYJanuary 24, 2016
Great Experience working for OMH. Cordial and friendly coworkers.
Most enjoyable part of job was working with people.
Learned how to set up meetings, Managing multiline phone system and how to direct calls. Lots of other clerical duties. Was very comfortable with workload.
Pros
Teamwork, Challenging
Cons
Temporary Assignment
Nice place to begin in State government
Licensed Master Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYDecember 7, 2015
My first foray into mental health. Excellent ground work, but difficult and not always immediately rewarding. Very challenging system, bureaucratically antiquated. Great opportunities for growth in the SW industry if one is interested in developing their own private practice. The Office of Mental of Health is one of the foremost NYS government institutions that provides necessary training for certification advancement. Pros, a permanent job and permanent paycheck after probation. Cons, Top heavy with management, ulterior motives and machavellian tactics utilized to insure the growth of very few individuals. Co-workers not interested/too scary to hold union feet to the fire, therefore nothing much changes from year to year. Also, takes seven years to reach top salary.
Pros
Civil service
Cons
Dangerous work
A good place to work if you are devoted to creating and maintaining healing environments.
Facilities Design, Bureau of Environmental Design (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYNovember 5, 2015
The offices of NYSOMH employed a devoted staff who were committed to providing inpatients and outpatients with safe and healthy environments. This required travel with long hours and meetings with a diverse population of staff and consultants.
Great Experience
Foodservice Director II (Current Employee) –  New YorkJune 7, 2015
This is the perfect job for someone that wants work/life balance.
There are delays with the disciplinary process and the disciplinary process itself is not adequate for those that strive for better.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Staff come from a civil service list based on exam
Fun job
General Machanic (Current Employee) –  Dix Hills, NYOctober 29, 2014
General mechanical duty's. Fun positive job. Mostly good people, some emergency's,