New York State Office of the Attorney General

4.2
Ratings breakdown
Solid place to work
Legal Intern, Litigation Bureau (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 25, 2018
Collegial work environment with motivated staff. I found the attorneys and support staff always willing to help assist in any matter I was working on.
was great
job positioin (Former Employee) –  New York City, NYJanuary 7, 2018
was great plpace to work i really enjoyed it great team gerat assignments great compensation great benefits great hours great opportunities for advancement
Great place to intern
Mediator Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 19, 2017
Great place to learn and watch real attorneys at work. Able to mediate real life disputes between consumers and businesses. Management was the best when I was there.
Fun place
Legal Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 7, 2017
great place, great environment, hard working people who treat you with respect and overall just a super great place to work at that helps other people.
Lots of drafting experience, interesting cases
Law Intern (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYOctober 29, 2017
A small office with a good atmosphere. Easy to ask questions. Unfortunately it doesn't hire straight out of Law School anymore. Requires a few years of outside experience. Good introduction to how different departments interact in the Capital.
Horrific experience, awful people and management
Consumer Fraud Representative (Former Employee) –  Poughkeepsie, NYOctober 11, 2017
Unclear expectations, zero support, virtually no training.

Relocated specifically for this position and then I was terminated when I requested time off for cancer surgery.
Pros
supposedly benefits, if you can tolerate working there long enough to accumulate them
Cons
employees are responsible for paid parking, NYS holds your first 2 weeks pay
Remarkable Expereince
Volunteer Lawyer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 24, 2017
great experience; great staff; serving norther Manhattan and the Bronx was very rewarding and invaluable experience. Protecting vulnerable communities was an honor.
Great experience
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYSeptember 5, 2017
Working for the New York State Office of the Attorney General, Division of Regional Offices was an incredible experience with great job security and benefits.
Hostile environment, poor morale
Attorney (Former Employee) –  Suffolk County, NYAugust 28, 2017
5 1/2 year ago the Suffolk Office was the premier place to work. The office atmosphere was dynamic. Fast forward I wouldn't recommend working there to my worst enemy. RD is a vicious, vindictive, incompetent bully. Office morale is at an all-time low. Huge office turn over due to the RD forcing staff out by making their life miserable. Upper management looks the other way. Current office manger is incompetent, a spy who rats on coworkers to the director and delegates her job duties. Current chief auditor is also an incompetent who delegates her job functions.
Benefits
Cons
Poor work environment
Good Workplace
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 28, 2017
Answered calls, filed, shred and made copies. I also help the receptionist with any of her work when she needed it. Just really learned the basics of working in an office setting.

Want to know more about New York State Office of the Attorney General?

Ask a question
Best Internship
Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 28, 2017
This place was great to work for. I learned a lot and everyone there was so accommodating. I wish I could go back. The workload was enough to keep you busy but not enough to stress you out.
Nepotism, favoritism and bureaucracy
Legal Support Analyst (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 28, 2017
Not at all what I expected.
For what is required they don't provide much.
Management doesn't guide nor support. Notoced intensed spitefulness
Nepotism, favoritism and bureaucracy. Smoke and mirrors.
Pay isn't worth the headache and unfair treatment.
Pros
Insurance
Cons
Supplies, no advancement, work life balance, no acknowledgement
Great Work Place
Student Assistant/ Mediator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 8, 2017
Review incoming complaints to the bureau, draft correspondence to businesses and consumers, update the Oracle complaint database, conduct mediation between opposing parties, prepare affidavits for the Assistant Attorney General’s, conduct operational audits, maintain departmental files, provide project support for the bureau, and comply with all confidentiality laws.
Go Private sector or district attorney
Assistant (Current Employee) –  NYMarch 29, 2017
Been an employee for almost 12 years. I must say it's become progressively worse than better. I stay for the health benefits. The last two Attorney Generals didn't care about employees. I've seen so many people leave or get fired the last 3 years. Management is awful and turnover is high.
I agree with the other reviews, pay is terrible. Unless they make up a position and high salary for you.
Pros
health insurance
Cons
Criminal enforcement bureau
A typical day at work
Intern Investigator (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYJanuary 26, 2017
During my internship at the New York State's Attorney General Office, a typical day at work did not exist. Almost everyday, I was given a new assignment, a new duty to fulfill. I worked closely with the investigative team on confidential cases.
Pros
New duties everyday, learning investigative techniques.
It looks good on your resume
Assistant Attorney General (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 14, 2016
The current administration is vicious, vindictive, morally corrupt and they constantly micromanage. There are too many cons than pros. The last 4-5 years the turn over has been increasingly and insanely high because of the new administration. The chiefs micromanage and take credit for your hard work and leave you out. If you're not liked by the higher ups, they will make your life a waking nightmare. The workplace morale is low, LOW.
The AGs office looks great on paper if you want to go to the District Attorney Office after Law school and need the experience. But unless you play by their rules don't expect to be recognized for hard work.
Co-workers are good but management is unprofessional and unpredictable
Pros
Health benefits, colleagues
Cons
Micromanage, low pay, current administration
Great
Law Student Extern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 12, 2016
Great experience as a law student extern involved in various investigations of the consumer fraud and protection bureau covering many well-known businesses and cases.
Great experience but terrible pay.
Assistant Attorney General (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 18, 2016
The Litigation Bureau of this office is a great place to work for if you're looking to increase your civil litigation experience. Note, however, that the low pay and limited office resources create a high level of turnover among the office's junior attorneys.
When I come home from work it's like I haven't been at Work.
Assistant Attorney General (Current Employee) –  Poughkeepsie, NYFebruary 1, 2016
I am affirmative attorney and pursue legal matters in the name of New York State on behalf of the People who are victims of fraud or other illegality.
Pros
work with good people, do good, challenging work
Cons
a little higher salary
Co-workers
Budget and Fiscal Management Bureau (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 3, 2015
The blend of cultures, different level of educations, professional ethics, personal intellect - all created overall pleasant environment to work. However, it is time to move toward personal goals in addition to desire to utilize professional and education skills and implementation of diversified experiences.
Pros
co-workers
Cons
different field of interest