New York State Office of the Attorney General

New York State Office of the Attorney General Employee Reviews

A perfect place to put college knowledge to the test
Consumer Fraud Aide (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYNovember 1, 2018
I was able to learn things through this agency that I could not have learned in the college classroom. I spent the day handling consumer complaints about various businesses in the Buffalo area, as well as answering phone calls to consumers calling about their complaints. Completed standard office tasks.
Relaxed
Investigator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 21, 2018
Hours are not flexible, but you have job security. Hours are set however very little option for overtime. Overtime can be random and enduring, but that does not happen often.
Educational, career advancement, excellent benefits
Legal Assistant Trainee (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJuly 3, 2018
The New York State Civil Service department offers its employees the option of enrolling in college credit courses and also pays for one class per semester. The Civil Service also announce promotional exams for its employees for advancement. The benefits that are given are excellent which are medical, vision, dental, retirement, education, child care, maternity leave etc..
Great Team Great mission
Volunteer Assistant Attorney General (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 31, 2018
Team and office are excellent, I wish I would have stayed longer but there were no job openings. I also had issues passing the bar exam but the staff had excellent suggestions to improve for next time.
Solid place to work
Legal Intern, Litigation Bureau (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 25, 2018
Collegial work environment with motivated staff. I found the attorneys and support staff always willing to help assist in any matter I was working on.
was great
job positioin (Former Employee) –  New York City, NYJanuary 7, 2018
was great plpace to work i really enjoyed it great team gerat assignments great compensation great benefits great hours great opportunities for advancement
Great place to intern
Mediator Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 19, 2017
Great place to learn and watch real attorneys at work. Able to mediate real life disputes between consumers and businesses. Management was the best when I was there.
Fun place
Legal Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 7, 2017
great place, great environment, hard working people who treat you with respect and overall just a super great place to work at that helps other people.
Lots of drafting experience, interesting cases
Law Intern (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYOctober 29, 2017
A small office with a good atmosphere. Easy to ask questions. Unfortunately it doesn't hire straight out of Law School anymore. Requires a few years of outside experience. Good introduction to how different departments interact in the Capital.
Horrific experience, awful people and management
Consumer Fraud Representative (Former Employee) –  Poughkeepsie, NYOctober 11, 2017
Unclear expectations, zero support, virtually no training.

Relocated specifically for this position and then I was terminated when I requested time off for cancer surgery.
Pros
supposedly benefits, if you can tolerate working there long enough to accumulate them
Cons
employees are responsible for paid parking, NYS holds your first 2 weeks pay
Remarkable Expereince
Volunteer Lawyer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 24, 2017
great experience; great staff; serving norther Manhattan and the Bronx was very rewarding and invaluable experience. Protecting vulnerable communities was an honor.
Great experience
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYSeptember 5, 2017
Working for the New York State Office of the Attorney General, Division of Regional Offices was an incredible experience with great job security and benefits.
Hostile environment, poor morale
Attorney (Former Employee) –  Suffolk County, NYAugust 28, 2017
5 1/2 year ago the Suffolk Office was the premier place to work. The office atmosphere was dynamic. Fast forward I wouldn't recommend working there to my worst enemy. RD is a vicious, vindictive, incompetent bully. Office morale is at an all-time low. Huge office turn over due to the RD forcing staff out by making their life miserable. Upper management looks the other way. Current office manger is incompetent, a spy who rats on coworkers to the director and delegates her job duties. Current chief auditor is also an incompetent who delegates her job functions.
Benefits
Cons
Poor work environment
Good Workplace
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 28, 2017
Answered calls, filed, shred and made copies. I also help the receptionist with any of her work when she needed it. Just really learned the basics of working in an office setting.
Best Internship
Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 28, 2017
This place was great to work for. I learned a lot and everyone there was so accommodating. I wish I could go back. The workload was enough to keep you busy but not enough to stress you out.
Productive and Quiet Environment
Document Specialist (Current Employee) –  Utica, NYJune 29, 2017
Most of the attorneys were very nice.
Hardest part of the job was working with the Microsoft Word templets.
Best part of the job was that I didn't have to many restraints. I could go to the restroom at will.
I learned a great deal about legal documents, the court system, and filing with the county clerks office.
Pros
Offered me an opportunity to work with legal documents for attorney court hearings.
Cons
No growth for part time employee placed by employment agency.
Nepotism, favoritism and bureaucracy
Legal Support Analyst (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 28, 2017
Not at all what I expected.
For what is required they don't provide much.
Management doesn't guide nor support. Notoced intensed spitefulness
Nepotism, favoritism and bureaucracy. Smoke and mirrors.
Pay isn't worth the headache and unfair treatment.
Pros
Insurance
Cons
Supplies, no advancement, work life balance, no acknowledgement
Great Work Place
Student Assistant/ Mediator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 8, 2017
Review incoming complaints to the bureau, draft correspondence to businesses and consumers, update the Oracle complaint database, conduct mediation between opposing parties, prepare affidavits for the Assistant Attorney General’s, conduct operational audits, maintain departmental files, provide project support for the bureau, and comply with all confidentiality laws.
Go Private sector or district attorney
Assistant (Current Employee) –  NYMarch 29, 2017
Been an employee for almost 12 years. I must say it's become progressively worse than better. I stay for the health benefits. The last two Attorney Generals didn't care about employees. I've seen so many people leave or get fired the last 3 years. Management is awful and turnover is high.
I agree with the other reviews, pay is terrible. Unless they make up a position and high salary for you.
Pros
health insurance
Cons
Criminal enforcement bureau
A typical day at work
Intern Investigator (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYJanuary 26, 2017
During my internship at the New York State's Attorney General Office, a typical day at work did not exist. Almost everyday, I was given a new assignment, a new duty to fulfill. I worked closely with the investigative team on confidential cases.
Pros
New duties everyday, learning investigative techniques.