New York University Employee Reviews

Management doesnt practice what they preach.
Research Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 15, 2018
The culture of professionalism and respect that management would like us to believe they subscribe to is not practiced. This makes it a challenging work environment. The staff is overworked and most are underpaid, exhausted and stripped of promotions/raises at every turn. There should more of an investment in staff and more opportunity to grow within your department.
Pros
4 day work week
Great health and education benefits.
Budget Assistant/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 14, 2018
Processed request for payments to vendors, staff and outside consultants. Take phone calls.
I have learned about handling money and fund management, outstanding communications and collaborations.
workplace culture in some areas was 85 percent pleasant.
The hardest part of the job was only when there was a lack of communication.
The most enjoyable part of the job was a week off for Christmas.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Communication Issues at times.
A Consultant's Perspective
Fitness Consultant/ Group Exercise Facilitator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 8, 2018
I am a contractor for NYU. In my 12 years working for NYU as a contractor, I have no complaints about workplace culture. Employees at the location I work at, collaborate well to accomplish the program's overall mission.
Pros
People are respectful and warm at the location I work out of.
Cons
Increase hourly rate to match average New York City group exercise rate per class
World Class Institution
Assistant Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  545 1st Ave, New York NYOctober 8, 2018
Their standard for excellence and pursuit of becoming the best healthcare institution in the world means that the demand of the job are great. With that expectation however, comes terrific benefits and a strong corporate culture. It is a wonderful place to work with many great, talented people.
Pros
Healthcare benefits, retirement plan contributions
Cons
Demanding work
great benefits but very stressful
Lieutenant, Department of Public Safety (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYOctober 2, 2018
Co workers do not work well as a team. Management structure is poor and allows for people to slack off and not be responsible.

Everything always seems like an emergency. Felt like a pin ball getting around. Management is not strong and let too many favoritism slack off. No transparency nor communication. Rumors were rampant.

HR did not support workers.
Pros
benefits - medical- 5% contribution match on retirement and tuition remission
Cons
lack of direction, teamwork and guidance
Comforting and productive workplace.
Assistant delivery (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 30, 2018
A typical day working at NYU was collaborative and comforting as the workers were friendly and hardworking. What I learned from working at NYU is teamwork, being collaborative and how I could use this to expand future opportunities to work at other companies. The management was from LIU Brooklyn being sent to NYU for a temporary amount of time. Hardest part of the job was multitasking. the most enjoyable part of the job was the teamwork, the comfort working at NYU.
A diverse work environment
Postdoctoral Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 29, 2018
Surrounded by a diverse group of students and colleagues, it is a place to be well rounded and get to know different cultures while focusing on your work goals and assigned projects.
the most enjoyable part of the job
Human Resource Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 27, 2018
I enjoyed working in an academic environment. I met so many people from all walks of life. I held a number of positions at the University but mainly worked in the human resource area.
Pros
I loved working in the village.
Cons
Way too many restaurants to chose from to have lunch.
Great Experience
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 26, 2018
It was one of the best job experiences that I had. The teaching assistant job started as a part time thing for a semester and I kept working for 2 years at the job until I graduated.
Great work culture and amazing benefits.
Busy location, understaffed
Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 19, 2018
Very busy location, understaffed.
Needs more experienced staff with specialty training.
In office administrative staff was welcoming and supportive when possible.
Pros
Friendly staff, constant work load.
Cons
Limited diversity and understaffed
Team oriented work place
Housing Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 19, 2018
New York University is a very cohesive work environment. I've learned a lot over the years and I'm very thankful for the opportunity to work there. There can be challenges with upset clients but that is normal. We try our best to accommodate all request from students and parents.
Benefits
Good work life balance
Laboratory Manager, Department of Biology (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 17, 2018
Good work/Life balance but the advancement opportunities are very limited. Advancement opportunities are not so much based on merit but who knows who but this cannot be generalized for the whole organization.
Financial Aid & Bursar Administrator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 12, 2018
NYU is a great place to work. Unfortunately I had a temporary position. It would have been nice if I had an opportunity to stay with the company. I would recommend others to work there if they are looking for a temp position.
Pros
Great atmosphere
Cons
Temp position
This project helps me know how to put C++ into use in a practical task
IMPACT OF EARNING REPORT (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYSeptember 9, 2018
Leaded the team to construct the structure, classes and functions of a financial software which
uses Bloomberg, Liburl, Excel Driver, Bootstrapping to retrieve data and return information
and image of abnormal average returns(AAR) and cumulative abnormal average returns(CAAR).
Working at NYU: great opportunity
Adjunct Faculty (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 7, 2018
Working at NYU is a great opportunity. No micromanagement; my manager let me have free reign to accomplish the goals the department set out for me. Working at NYU is good for motivated individuals.
Great Benefits, Stagnant Salaries
Administrative Aide II (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 6, 2018
I love working with/helping the students. It's too bad admin/clerical staff salaries don't keep pace with New York City rents.

That said, the continuing education opportunities are terrific. Tuition remission allowed me to earn my master's degree, as well as taking non-credit classes in a variety of subjects.

Every office and department has its own culture and pace. In my department, the culture was not the best, but it also wasn't the worst. It's more of a morale problem because staff are overworked.

Management also varies across the University. My department's does its best to support staff and provide as many professional opportunities as possible.
Pros
35 hour work week, medical benefits, tuition remission
Cons
salary, housing, public transportation
Good
Laboratory Research Extern (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 5, 2018
Good place to gain some experience, nothing too complicated, but gives you an idea of how a lab works, people are really nice here, but could be paid more
good place to work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 5, 2018
good management, quick pace, good benefits, enjoyable workplace culture. provide work related seminars/ classes. plenty of time off& supportive staff.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
office politics
Overall Excellent Place to Work
Chief Business Transformation Officer & AVP (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 4, 2018
I left NYU about two months ago but worked there for nearly ten years. NYU is an excellent environment that balances Work and Life commitments. Overall NYU has provided excellent career expansion opportunities.
Great!
House Manager/Front of House (Former Employee) –  coolSeptember 4, 2018
You may be seeing this page because you used the Back button while browsing a secure web site or application. Alternatively, you may have mistakenly bookmarked the web login form instead of the actual web site you wanted to bookmark or used a link created by somebody else who made the same mistake.

Left unchecked, this can cause errors on some browsers or result in you returning to the web site you tried to leave, s
Pros
great
Cons
great

Ask a question about working or interviewing at New York University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2

Ratings from women

3.2InHerSight Score

3.0Personal Development

3.2Career Opportunities

3.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight