NEWARK MUSEUM

NEWARK MUSEUM Employee Reviews

Productive workplace with good support systems
While being at the Newark Museum, there are multiple educators that help lead us in our paid internships and are very supportive. Every moment is a good one and we are constantly learning how to do different things. For example. we are taught to file papers, work a cashier, give large and small group tours, work the planetarium, and much more. A work day is pretty simple and straightforward, but not always easy. There are days where it gets very crowded and hard to deal with but we never fail to meet the expectations, or rise above them, despite the struggle it may seem to be. All of the educators and interns have great relationships and tend to work together with no problems.
Pros
Free lunch, great environment, and good relationships
Cons
No benefits
Cool to work if you're into art.
The Museum is a great place to work if you're in upper management or if you're a student and live with your mom. Because of funding sources, they don't pay very well. They do not pay a living wage and you will not be able to support yourself off their wages alone.
Pros
Superior networking opportunities if you're in certain management positions
Cons
low wages, few hours availible to work, some individuals are very bias
Good place for youth to work at
The environment is very relaxed because there is never a lot of visitor traffic. The programs and events that the youth host are the most memorable memories.
Typical day at the Newark Museum
The job allowed me to become more culturally aware about my surroundings and all over the world due to the environment and artwork that constantly surrounded me.
productive
lot of opportunities to learn in a non-profit setting - fundraising , volunteer management program development and community outreach. The hardest part of my job is eight hours is not enough time to finish what I love doing>
Pros
Vacation Time
Cons
Health care and benefits
Leave a review. Help people like you.
Fun place to work
As an intern who only worked 1 day a week, i must say that the people who worked with me as well as my supervisor was so nice and worked together to accomplish whatever work we had for the day if we finished early, we would go out to eat or play games before cleaning up the office.
Pros
relaxed work environment, lots of stores near by, exhibits, zoo
Cons
slow paced
It was a good experience.
I organized files and helped other workers with anything that was needed. My experience also gave me knowledge in dealing with communication and preparation.
My review about Newark Museum
Working at Newark was fun. I met a lot fo very cool people and the atmosphere was not stressful at all. If I could do it again, I would. If you are into a relaxed atmosphere then the Newark Museum is the place for you..
Pros
Not stressful, relaxed, very quiet
Cons
Gets boring, not much interaction with co-workers
n/a
It's a great place to work especially with the Family Program using S.T.E.A.M with connections with art about different cultures and history. The staff are very helpful nd supportive.
Pros
Great Work Culture
Cons
Seasonal
it is a good job
It is a good job for me but it is too far away from home ,
I learned a lot from this job and had to leave because of my young child in school . The hardest part of the job is commuting .
productive work place
Great work environment staff are nice,Co Workers were pleasant . learned allot of useful things benefiting my career in the future. overall good work experience.
good place to work
A typical day is you go around and watch the galleries and help the visitors if they get lost. its a good cultural place to work. If you like the Arts it a great work environment.
Pros
if you love arts
Cons
there nothing
Serving as an assistant for my manager was very engaging.
A typical day at work involved doing several Microsoft Excel projects ,filing, and attending to the phone. This increased my filing skills and my verbal skills as well.
Great place little room for advancement.
I worked in Education so its a very busy department. Its great working with the community, schools and other institutions. But like many Museums there is little room to grow within the institution and sometimes it just takes patience for other opportunities to come up.
Pros
Great Benefits Package!
Cons
Sometimes other Departments can bump heads with yours.
If You Like Making Money, This Place is For You
If you are interested in making money and holding titles, then this is the place for you. My work ethic is very different so I decided to leave.
Cons
Fantastic place to work with a strong mission for education
The Newark Museum has a strong commitment to student education with a rigorous curriculum and strong ideals. There is also a great deal of support and development for teachers to ensure both students and teaches get the full value of the experience.
taught class at workshops
Great place to work! Teaching people stained glass was a very rewarding experience. My boss was a great guy to work with/for. I would love for them to reschedule my class but probably will not happen because there was little interest in the technique when I left.
Pros
Free admission to the museum!
Cons
Long day
Great learning experience and internship was awesome
We start by reviewing what we were expected to do that day whether it was greet guet, instruct classes for summer camp, act as a docent or other actvivites that were held.
The most enjoyable part of the job was learning about nature
Pros
Great people
Cons
Not enough employees
Working in a museum was awesome. My job involved me dealing with children, and being an instructor.
great place to work
gallery attendant
front end cashier/customer service

greet customers

take payments
Pros
location
Cons
not enough pay
Productive work place that I enjoyed alot
Prepare orders for the day
I've learned about different cultures

Excellent

A joy to work with

Reshelving

Pulling and packing orders
Pros
A wonderful place to work and they give you projects to work on
Cons
Not enough hours and they down size the department
Ask a question about working or interviewing at NEWARK MUSEUM. Our community is ready to answer.
4.2