Newark Public Schools Employee Reviews

Human Resources
H.R. Generalist (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJOctober 15, 2018
Very busy work environment
Learned how to input information and run reports from PeopleSoft HRIS
Management was accessible
Workplace culture was family-like
The hardest part of the job was sending myself layoff letters almost every year
The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting people, the hiring process
Pros
Health Benefits
Cons
Yearly Layoffs
j k
Teacher's Assistant (Current Employee) –  Newark, NJOctober 13, 2018
I enjoyed working for Newark Public Schools. The environment is great, the students make it worth coming to work. I worked one on one with students helping them in various subjects like math, reading, and extra curriculum activities.
Enjoyable but the pay is hard to live on
Per Diem Aide (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJSeptember 21, 2018
I loved working for NPS! I loved building strong relationships with the students that I worked with , my only issue was that when the kids were out for holidays or snow days the per diem aides didn’t get paid.
Pros
Building strong relationships with the students
Cons
Per Diem employment
preperation and arrangement of food for the children during school activities.
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Newark, NJSeptember 4, 2018
I have experience in cleaning, and oral verbal and written communication activities. Capable of preparing detailed reports and taking inventory of items received from food companies, prepping of food for eight schools under Newark Public School.
Very large district which makes it easy to learn valuable work ethics.
Head Custodian/ Boiler Operator (Current Employee) –  Newark, NJAugust 28, 2018
Newark public schools is one of the largest school districts in the state of New Jersey, which makes it a fast paced work environment full of new task on a daily basis. I learned to work with students and staff to create a safe and productive environment for the school day to function properly.
Management works to resolve any issues within the district fast and diligently. The hardest part of the job would be when we are understaffed and the task keeps coming. The most enjoyable part of the job is working alongside those staff members who have the same drive as you to get the job done.
Pros
1 hour lunch
Cons
salary
Nps
Special Education Teacher (Current Employee) –  Newark, NJAugust 28, 2018
Too many last minute changes in the curriculum and then there is an expectation that the teachers can hit the ground running within a week of receiving the material
Promised pay is given
Cleaning (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJAugust 17, 2018
tiring work but cleaning is always like that and pay was given like told, I would not recommend working here, but only because I want people in our area to be better and study hard to work in better jobs.
Opinions of the Workplace
Per Diem Teacher Aide (Current Employee) –  Newark, NJAugust 9, 2018
A typical day at work for me is basically just doing my everyday tasks such as serving lunch, putting down and picking up cots, interacting with children in their designated areas of choice, etc
What I've learned from working with children is you have to have Patience and Understanding and you also have to give Lots of LOVE AND CARE.... management is basically a breeze the school actually runs itself. Especially if you have a staff that know what to do and what not to do as far as being in the workplace. My workplace is very warm and welcoming you will definitely be greeted with a smile and maybe a little bit of laughter. The hardest part of the job is self control and what i mean by that is you have to maintain yourself because at times you have parents that might come in that had a rough time and they might take their rough time out on you and you have to be understanding and knowledgable of that. The most enjoyable part of the job for me is seeing the smiles on the parent's faces as they watch and listen to what their children has accomplished. the second most enjoyable part of the job is watching the children grow each day into intelligent, smart beautiful, girls and boys.
Great in the trenches
Vice Principal & English Teacher (Current Employee) –  Newark, NJAugust 8, 2018
NPS is a great place to work at the school level. The children are great and, if you are lucky enough you will get amazing administrators. Be prepared to work with students who will amaze you at every turn, but also will touch your heart.
NPS Is Great
Administrative Lead (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJ 07107August 1, 2018
Do your homework on your specified school because it atmosphere and or work conditions might not be so great.Also look at your benefits and make sure it works for you. Each school has a different culture and you want to make sure your adjustable to accommodate that culture
Overwhelming
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Newark, NJJuly 25, 2018
A typical day in NPS is being overworked with minimal time to regroup yourself. No resources/materials are provided and you have to pay for materials in the classroom out-of-pocket. You are expected to get things done with little to no support.
Pros
Pension
Cons
Expensive health benefits, preps are often cancelled, no support from administration, and little pay.
Horrible
Teacher's aide (Current Employee) –  Newark, NJJuly 22, 2018
Unfair wages, given a fifty cent raise after 4plus years of work...no paid summers...no paid time off...cannot collect unemployment for summer months.....
School environment
SPEECH AND LANGUAGE SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJJuly 22, 2018
Fast paced environment, extremely large caseloads (80+ student on average), frequent student crisis occurring daily which impact overall productivity.
nice [place to work
Pre-k Teacher (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJJuly 20, 2018
I would recommend working with this organization because it has longevity. It provide a lot of on the job training. Staff is very cordial and professional.
Pros
not long hours
Cons
very big
Great Place to work
Long term Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Newark, NJJuly 15, 2018
Working as a Per Diem teacher is great because of the hours and holidays off. The only thing that didn't work for me was the benefits, per diems received no benefits or paid days off.
Administation needs growth
Elementary 1st Grade Teacher (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJJuly 15, 2018
A very large school district which requires all players to be in line and on the same page to service students. Lacking support from various administration levels.
A necessary evil
Dean of Students (Current Employee) –  Newark, NJJuly 12, 2018
Teaching is a great job, but the pay is low for what we do. Newark, like any other district, has its issues. It has good days and bad days like every thing else.
Productive, Rewarding workplace, Questionable raises though
Special Assistant to the Assistant Superintent (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJJuly 3, 2018
Very pleasant experience marred by frequent Leadership change as a State Takeover School District.
Employees were unsettled by having to reapply for their jobs at each Superintendent change.
Team work, and collaboration worked, the district will need more of that, now under Local control
Pros
Generous Vac & Sick days, Health care package with good pay etc
Enjoy working with professional staff members
Teacher/Technology Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Newark, NJJuly 2, 2018
I am a technology lead in the building providing staff development, equipment repair, school-based support and student instruction to a building of 788 students and 125 staff members.
Pros
Training Staff
Cons
Restructuring of Technology position
Opinion
Food Service Worker/ Cashier (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJJune 28, 2018
If someone wants to work the public school systems they can but there are no benefits when you start at pre-dem. You have to know how to prepare and clean up after your self. When a deliveries come in you have to lift heavy boxes with no help.
Pros
You get to eat what is there
Cons
No health insurance