Newark Public Schools Employee Reviews

Quitman St School
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJJanuary 12, 2019
I was assigned a couple of students that needed one on one . I helped out in the Compuer room, lunchtime, etc. I was An Assistant for all the grades in Quitman.
Good place to work...
Special Education Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJJanuary 7, 2019
I enjoyed working for the school system because I enjoy working with children and their families. Working in the classroom is enjoyable because you get to build a rapport with your students and to whom you become a role model or a mentor to. This is a great job if you enjoy teaching and being around children everyday. I would recommend applying to this company to teach and to help better our children's education. See one teach one. That is how it begins.
Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Newark, NJDecember 18, 2018
A typical day at work is great knowing you helped a child succeed. Everyone I work with helps one another. Its a learning place. Im actually back in school to become a teacher. I love working with kids
Head Custodian (Current Employee) –  Newark, NJDecember 5, 2018
I think the people running it don't know how to run it and it's favoritism and they only care about them self
Some of them do too much going on supposed to be fun going to work not stress out
Great collaboration among teachers
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newark, NYDecember 4, 2018
Teachers were respectful to anyone who worked at the school, there was no favoritism. I enjoyed the comradery among the staff. We felt like a family. My typical day was to come in, go over the day with the teacher, great the students, and begin classes with my two students. Sometimes they were in different rooms, but one of my students was more educationally needy that the other, so I went with her if their classes were separate (French was one). My students went to lunch together, and the staff lunches were in our rooms or lounge. I did both. The hardest part of the job came when a new student came to our class and mercilessly bullied one of my students, and the new student had a regular habit of cursing at the teacher and calling her sexually explicit names (6th grade). My other student began having issues with entering classrooms, and she stayed in the hall a lot. I had a great deal of stress due to my feeling unable to perform my job the way I wanted to. The most enjoyable part of my job was spending time with students and helping them learn. I also liked spending time with staff.
Pros
Fun place to work
Cons
administration did not communicate with the staff about expectations
Working for a good cause
Program Specialist/Instructor (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJDecember 3, 2018
Former district supt was difficult to work for, which made for uncomfortable working conditions. Students, parents, teachers and other staff were disrespected on a regular basis. New supt is much better suited for the job. Now, it's probably a much better place to work.
Pros
Working for a good cause
Cons
Nepotism
Talented individuals, but too political
Manager (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJDecember 3, 2018
Unfortunately, this is the fork where education meets politics. Local control is a joke as all top positions are appointed politically. Superintendent is subject to the elected officials that got him there through the backdoor.
workplace
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Newark, NJDecember 2, 2018
it's a fun workplace.i had the best time of my life working for the newark public schools.Doing security was a challenge position. i had fun dealing faulty members and administration members
Not a good place to work as an Aide.
Paraprofessional/Teacher's Aide (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJNovember 20, 2018
If you're looking for stability, security, benefits, or advancement opportunities; then, this is not the place for you. During my time at NPS, Aides had to be employed for 10 years before receiving a pension.
We were not included in staff meetings or IEP meetings with the Child Study Team.

Personally, Newark Public Schools was not a good fit for me.
Transition
School Psychologist (Former Employee) –  Seconday Schools in Newark NJNovember 17, 2018
The district is I transition and making system wide changes. This face keeps conditions in flux and dynamic, Once priorities have been selected and stable leadership has opportunity to creat goals, etc. The organization may prosper.

Want to know more about Newark Public Schools?

Ask a question
amazing place for amazing life lessons
Head of Climate and Culture Committee (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJNovember 12, 2018
The day begins in welcoming amazing children assisting them with life and educational lessons. Prepare them with life skills and get ready for the day after to begin the amazing changes again.
Exciting and very productive
Executive Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJNovember 11, 2018
My day began with payroll duties and processing tuition reimbursement payments for teachers.

I was also responsible f for creating and producing power point presentations as well as planning for meetings and special conference events.

The hardest part of my job was denial teachers who did not meet the criteria for tuition reimbursements.

The most enjoyable part of the job was producing quality work and having my peers and managers recognize me for it.
Pros
Relaxed atmosphere and very friendly
Cons
Had to pay for parking
productive district
Teacher Night/Conferences (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJNovember 9, 2018
a typical day starts with gathering your students after receiving assignments from admin

setting the tone for the class and day follow curriculum and schedule.

there I learned more about teaching and decided to move forward as a certified teacher after passing the praxis
Energy
TEACHER ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJNovember 6, 2018
The environment was always full of knowledge that was taken place inside the school walls throughout the day. Students and coworkers were respectful to each other and cared about each other well being.
Pros
Advancement
I have enjoyed my time working for NPS
Teacher of English (Current Employee) –  Newark, NJOctober 31, 2018
I am currently employed as an NPS teacher but I am seeking further advancement in my career. The pay does not match my level of education and because the pay scale is universal my education does not trump teachers who have been employed longer. The school I taught at was wonderful and so was the staff. my supervisor was great and I felt I made a difference to the students I taught.
Great job
Custodain (Current Employee) –  Newark, OHOctober 31, 2018
My job is closes to home and good pay. It's fun to be at work. Talking to people. I work at night. We all work together. I like working for schools.
Ideas explored
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJOctober 22, 2018
More open to experimentation
students engaged with ideas presented
The teachers were very collaborative and really excelled in joint projects helping the students realize the benefits of team work
Pros
I enjoyed the foundational work, the ability to watch my lessons transform the children into productive scholars.
Cons
micromanagement
Worked as a consultant with very specific projects and groups responded favorably to the material submitted
Human Resources Consultant (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJOctober 16, 2018
I had the opportunity to work with HR and address some training and cultural issues within the organization. Conducted workshops to enhance the effectiveness of customer service.
Pros
Diverse organization with a variety of challenges.
Cons
Not enough time to complete certain projects.
Human Resources
H.R. Generalist (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJOctober 15, 2018
Very busy work environment
Learned how to input information and run reports from PeopleSoft HRIS
Management was accessible
Workplace culture was family-like
The hardest part of the job was sending myself layoff letters almost every year
The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting people, the hiring process
Pros
Health Benefits
Cons
Yearly Layoffs
j k
Teacher's Assistant (Current Employee) –  Newark, NJOctober 13, 2018
I enjoyed working for Newark Public Schools. The environment is great, the students make it worth coming to work. I worked one on one with students helping them in various subjects like math, reading, and extra curriculum activities.