Newark Public Schools Employee Reviews

Job wasn't for me
Teacher's Aide (Former Employee) –  New JerseyFebruary 23, 2018
Helping teacher assist students how to deal with a large group of students at one time the job wasn't hard at all teaching students and seeing the smiles on their facing
Loved It!
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJFebruary 14, 2018
I would encourage anyone who wishes to apply to do so. I love and enjoy working with children. Some of the parents I've met are lifelong friends of mine. There is room for growth and the salary is well worth working for.
Challenging yet Fulfilling
Per Diem Teacher Aide (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJFebruary 13, 2018
My experience working for a Newark Public School was very rewarding. I loved going into work everyday and getting to see my students’ progress. However, as is the case in any school, it is not for the faint of heart. If what you seek is an easy job to lounge about and occasionally help out a few kids, then this job is not for you. Working with children is exhausting and appropriately navigating situations in regards to office politics can, at times, prove stressful. But I assure you that if you give the classroom your all, you’ll find the stress and exhaustion worth it in the end.
Energetic Place, Fun to be at
Summer Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJJanuary 26, 2018
I enjoyed working at the camp it was very fun working with the kids. Kids were nice other employees were also very friendly. Kids were respectful and listened.
It was okay demanding
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJJanuary 21, 2018
I worked hard and when the opportunity came to go for a higher position, i was over looked . I like the work and the hours are great if you have school age children.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Hard work
Fast Paced work environment with opportunity to help families in need
Contact Center Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Newark, NJJanuary 18, 2018
This is an office environment focused on the well-being of our districts families. Though the intention is meant well, the communication between departments is lacking, making the job itself more challenging. However, it is this challenge that gives an individual the opportunity to shine in their own right, paving the way to bigger opportunities and growth potential amongst other affiliating offices.
Newark Board of Education
Custodian/Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJJanuary 16, 2018
The Newark Board of Education is a fare employer provide great medical l benefits .A great credit union and a 401k .Also a very strong labor union as well.
The schools were a fun and productive place to work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJJanuary 2, 2018
Productive at times fun at times there were no activities for the worker only the students and teachers. have always been a very productive person, any work left over from the day before is done first. Priority done as well. I've learned to always be professional and polite to people and no matter what you are hired to do give it 110%. The hardest part of the job was to make sure all State reports where done and submitted on time, I actually enjoyed that part it was a lot of overtime and i could stay as late as i needed to get the job done. Interacting with the parents and assisting them with there children's transportation needs.
Pros
able to drive to work
Cons
the district trying to dismantle the union.
A collaborative culture where most educators care about what's best for students.
Principal (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJDecember 30, 2017
A collaborative culture where most educators care about what's best for students and are not caught up in the politics. As long as you genuinely care for students and staff, they will strive to do their best and be successful as a team. I enjoyed each day because I never experienced the same things and the pace was fast so I was never bored. I loved interacting with students, families, staff and the community daily whether it was good, bad or indifferent.
Just another job.
Per-Diem Teachers Aide (Current Employee) –  Newark, NJDecember 29, 2017
This job is honestly just that. A job. you clock in, you clock out. Teacher to Aide relationship is very poor and the aides are pretty much left out of everything education related.
Pros
Two 15 minute breaks
Cons
No benefits, no holiday pay, no sick time, 30 min lunch.
Awesome
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJDecember 27, 2017
As a Substitute Teacher for Newark Public Schools, I had the ability to take control of a class room just like a full time teacher,but lacked the benefits and security of a full time teacher.

There were always opportunities to build rapport with the school administration and students to help with for the advancement into the School System
Prior to layoffs, it was an amazing place to work
Various Positions (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJDecember 27, 2017
With over 40,000 employees, the work environment was a fast-paced. The culture was great and employees like a family. Most of the management were life-long employees and therefore training was amazing.
Pros
Benefits and salary
Cons
Layoff in education is a regular occurrence now.
Stressful Environment
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJDecember 7, 2017
Terrible environment. Students are severely distraught and not motivated to learn. The administration only cares about the numbers and sweeps everything under the rug.

God forbid you need help; that will be held against you because you must take care of the issues 'in the house'.

Students constantly fight, curse and disrespect teachers in and out of the classrooms. Everyone complains about getting offended of everything and everyone. Teachers are late for just about anything. Anything barely happens on time.

Many schools need serious reformation and a rigorous professional management!

In order to build and develop great schools, Newark needs to focus more on family education first because family is the core to great virtues. Most of the parents don't care as they barely come to visit their teachers.

It is really unfortunate. I really do not understand how people here give it 5 stars. Unless you are in the Ironbound section or you have security training, the school is a nightmare.
Pros
Salary & benefits
Cons
Pretty much everything
Meet so many people learn to work with teens become a family
Food Service Worker/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Newark, NJDecember 5, 2017
Learn to work with different peoplelearn different techniques work hard learn different for treats a very hard job but we all the team as a family and we make you happy
Pros
Escape get a week or dairy or fruit or milk or vegetable
Cons
Milk cereal fruit juice
School Teacher
Grade 3 Teacher (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJ 07102December 5, 2017
Newark School was a highly supportive and collaborative atmosphere where all school staff were highly motivated to educate each and every learner despite their depressed home environment.
Summary
Teacher of Social Studies (Current Employee) –  Newark, NJDecember 2, 2017
I enjoy NPS because of the daily challenge of honing my pedagogical skills. Although, at times the work is stressful, I'm up for the challenge of finding new ways to engage students and present material/content to my various learners. The district has undergone many changes that have been constraining in terms of resources that would be helpful for our most adversely affected populations. However, I have been fortunately enough to work with some really bright, enthusiastic and creative people whose hearts are always in the right place, and whose temperaments have always helped to motivate me. My job has no cons, it has challenges which is the nature of education and educating different learning communities.
Pros
new ways of learning and understand which will enhance my pedagogy
Cons
none, but challenges
very busy and demanding job. i love working for Newark Public Schools
Senior Coordinator of Operations (Current Employee) –  Newark, NJNovember 30, 2017
best job i have worked thus for. have been working here for 16 years. wonderful place to work. this job has given me a tremendous amount of experience and i would recommend it for anyone that loves children and to work.
Forgetting to Students, Destroying Great Teachers
Special Needs Teacher (Current Employee) –  Newark, NJNovember 20, 2017
A typical days involves a plethora of unnecessary tasks that have very little to do with quality of education. In addition, teachers must make the decision to honor their commitment to educate or finish tedious paperwork. I have learned that Newark Public Schools has perfected the art of cutting employees. The District has created an "I got you" culture that is dishonoring students and great teachers.
Newark Public Schools
ELA/Social Studies Teacher - Middle School (Current Employee) –  Newark, NJNovember 15, 2017
Depending on which school you are assigned to, NPS can be great or can be difficult. There is no further compensation for advance degrees and the district is undergoing some major changes as it seeks to regain local control.
Living under the bus
Senior Manager (Current Employee) –  Newark, NJNovember 13, 2017
Everyone passes the buck, takes no responsibility for their work/actions, and constantly throws one another under the bus. The environment sucks all of the positivity out of you, and is pettier than the schools themselves (you would at least expect children to be somewhat petty, not seasoned professionals).
Pros
Pay
Cons
Incompetence