Newcomer Funeral Service Group

Working at Newcomer Funeral Service Group: 26 Reviews

United States26 reviews

companyworkgreatmanagementtimepeoplecareoffice

Nothing the Same

This company has changed and not for the better in the last few years. It used to be focused on the families, now it is focused on who is going to be fired and who is going to be promoted.

No room to grow

No room to grow at this company. Decent schedule as far as funeral homes go. The headquarters doesn't care about its employees. Work-load not distributed well.

Newcomer Funeral Service Group insights

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging
  • Inclusive work environment

Ok perks horrible managment

Managment as a whole lacks vision beyond a week and themselves. Perks are good for the field. Probaly the best place to work as a funeral director. Which is more insulting to every other funeral home then complimentary to New Comer.

Too many managers that do not manage

Poorly run, waste money and time on unproductive items.No one is interested in helping each other out. Incompetent removal staff that is outsourced. UN-necessary amount of paperwork which could be reduced, minimized, and streamlined with digital programs.

Pros

Flexible

Cons

Deceitful, preferential treatment

Doing good for the community

It is an enjoyable company to work for, they offer great training and a wonderful support system in my department and location. This location is decently busy the majority of the time but you will have slower days. The benefits are good, pay isn't terrible. In the end, the work is enjoyable. I enjoy helping our families and community. It can be a very rewarding company for the right people. I can definitely say the work can be emotionally heavy and is not for everyone.

Pros

Support system, training, hours

Busy but enjoyable

The work was very busy at the location I was working but I enjoyed working with the people I worked with. Management on the local level definitely needs improvement.

Pros

Steady work

Cons

Relaxing atmosphere, For the most part good team environment.

Joining the Newcomer Family Team is one of the best career decisions I have made in over 30years in this field. The funeral profession can be incredibly challenging and stressful at times, not only for the director but also for the directors own family as well. Its long hours, working Holidays and all around treating families you serve better than your own family can wear on you. At some Funeral Homes, as a new employee, you are often put in a position of sink or swim. That is not the case here! The Newcomer family culture is one that believes their employees are their greatest asset, and their mindset is that of “if you take care of your employees, they will in turn take care of the Families they serve. The team mentality here has restored and renewed my faith in the funeral Profession, and it will restore yours.

Fun

Enjoyed my job and coworkers. I would be contacted by a scheduler to ask about availability. All appropriate information would be text to me. Staff was always supportive.

Felt used

Corporate mentality that back fired and bit them in the butt. They only care about themselves and not the families as they advertise. All about the dollars and not the service.

Pros

Money

Cons

No support

Support staff

Good place to work. Everyone is friendly helpful and willing to teach you the business if your willing to learn. Management is helpful and knowledgeable. The work culture is warm and inviting. No judgement and everyone has one goal in mind to serve the families at need. ! Great job Newcomer!

Absolutely terrible

Never in my adult life have I worked in such a petty, toxic and horrible work environment. Home office is terrible and the backstabbing and senseless tattling that goes on there is ridiculous. Can't trust anyone, including upper management, in fact upper management is the worst backstabbers and cliquish bunch of people. People will do what it takes to get someone fired or in trouble.

Pros

Cons

Environment. Upper management.

A Great Place to Work

I really enjoy my role at Newcomer and have felt a strong sense of belonging from the very start. I appreciate the support I receive to grow and improve in my trade, as well as the opportunity to be a part of projects that will directly impact the families we serve. The leadership is great, and the team environment is what really drew me to the company. It is meaningful work and I enjoy it each day.

Great Firm to Work for

This firm allows you to focus on what is most important to us as Funeral Directors; the families we serve. They provide the necessary tools and resources to make everyday responsibilities a breeze. They also understand the importance of a work/life balance.They offer a very generous on call schedule, competitive pay and the ability to move up within the company. They provide a great team that is always working to be better and become more innovative. Working for this company was easily the best decision I ever made and I look forward to going to work everyday.

Employees are replaceable.

Newcomer’s own Core Values: Trust, Care, Growth, and Excellence are not being upheld by upper management. They do not value their employees. The culture is very “cliquish”. It just is not a healthy work environment.

Happy to come to work.

In the time I have been here, I have had only good experiences so far. I genuinely enjoy coming to work, and the working with my team. The team has a friendly and family feel at the office, while also professional. We are able to work together to accomplish our tasks. I have already learned a great deal working here, and am excited to continue to do so as I further my development with the company. I am am also happy with my current work-life balance. Management and upper management who I have interacted with all seem friendly, approachable, and realistic.

Great place to work and very family oriented

Other than still having an old school mindset, Newcomer is a fantastic place to work. The benefits aren't the greatest and HR can be a little rigid, but the intangibles are what sets Newcomer apart from the rest. If you are passionate about your work then you'll never feel like you're actually going into work at Newcomer. Everyone has a common purpose and goal. That goal is to support the customers and their family's needs in a time of hardship. I've never worked with more genuinely nice people that truly care about my family and I. The work/life balance here is phenomenal as well. Work stays at work, and family time is family time. If my career goals were different, I'd work for Newcomer as long as they'd let me. I'd recommend anyone to interview here. Newcomer is a company that you could spend your entire career at.

Company does NOT care

Gave it my all. 98%satisfaction with families and employees, grew company for them by 150%, made one mistake, they let me go, and did not give me any reason or compensation

Terrible

Don't even bother looking for a job here. If you want to be treated like dirt, then this is the place. Lots of cut throating from co-workers and constant harrasment. They try to look better than you so they'll come up with some fake story to get you into trouble. Home office doesn't care and let's it continue on. Like I was once said "People are replaceable" and they don't value your skills or well being.

From outside looking in a great company to work for.

The corporate atmosphere in the corporate office is one of backstabbing to see who you can get fired or better your position within the company. To many snoops waiting for you you to say or do something that they think they can tattle on you for to look better in the eyes of their peers and management. Felt like I was back in Junior High!

Pros

Good Pay

Cons

Say one thing do another

Needs a lot of work

Working for newcomer was the worst decision I made during my professional career. Over worked, micro managed, absolutely no training, and no opportunity for advancement. The only positive thing I can say is that the pay was decent.

Cons

No diversity

Has some issues

Decent place to work as far as wages go, but if you want to feel welcome and have a sense of job security, this job is not for you. The issues for me stem from the home office. It seems that there is major disconnect between members of departments. The accounting dept for me was the hardest to grasp. There was constant, and I mean constant turnover. Seems as if they were always understaffed and overworked, and at times very unhappy with their jobs. HR/upper management was a whole other disaster, we really felt we couldn't connect or trust them, which is unfortunate. I do miss interacting with my peers as well as the families we got to serve.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Newcomer Funeral Service Group. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits