Newmont Mining Employee Reviews

safety is done everyday..
IT Enduser Support /Analyst (Former Employee) –  Elko, NVMay 8, 2018
The environment was fully safety compliant all the time. That was a constant every day. And, the contractor position was well compensated. I was very happy to work at the facility and some very smart tech personnel.
Great Company
Direct Charge Buyer/Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Elko, NVApril 18, 2018
Great company to work for. Easy to work for, and they try to promote there employees. If you want to learn, they will give you opportunity to learn. Communication, like most company's needs work
Good
Haul Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Elko, NVApril 16, 2018
Employed for over 27 years,good benefits,transportation to and from work. Able to learn other jobs if you want to. Long hours away from home. You work a month of days then a month or nights
Great people, great place to work
Surface and underground miner (Former Employee) –  Elko, NVApril 13, 2018
A job where you can support your family and feel valuable. The management is fair and the safety culture is top notch. There is also room for advancement and the training for such is in house and done well
Pros
Pay
Cons
Elko nevada
Inclusive culture at responsible Fortune 500 company
Sustainability Reporting Intern (Current Employee) –  Greenwood Village, COApril 10, 2018
I have been truly impressed by Newmont's committment to responsible mining. Not only do they promote it as a value, but they fulfill it in all that they do. The culture is highly inclusive and almost anyone is willing to make the time to meet with interns to discuss opportunities and their experience. The company is committed to being an industry leader and continuing to grow in the best way possible that provides benefits to the employees, the communities in which it mines, and the planet.
Safe and Superb Gold Mine
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Elko, NVFebruary 24, 2018
Working here was a really good experience. I met a lot of individuals from all types of cultures. I was put in an area that admired safety. The hardest part of the job was mostly the heat. Stay Hydrated.
good company to work for.
Hydraulic Shovel Operator (Former Employee) –  Winnemucca, NVFebruary 20, 2018
I would recommend newmont to anyone, was a great place to work. stresses safety over all that we did there. Mining can be dangerous by nature, the company does their very best to mitigate all hazards. The hours could be long but the people I met there were awesome.
Pros
safety culture, people, and work that required a certain amount of skill.
Cons
hours could be long, sometimes sacrificed family time for the job.
Great pay and benefits just a few issues like anywhere else
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Cripple Creek, COFebruary 19, 2018
I really liked working there the pay and benefits are great. I had a few issues with some of my two faced co workers but that's everywhere you work. Its very fast paced and numbers driven which creates an environment where no one wants to help anyone else because it will negatively affect their production numbers. One co worker in particular would be all smiles and tell me I was doing good and then go to the shift manager and complain. Management kinda tried to help sort of but I repeatedly asked ways I could improve and was always told I would figure it out myself which was very frustrating. I was also talked to because I was too quiet which caught me by surprise but when no one wants to help you and a co worker is constantly talking bad about you behind your back its not easy just chatting away with everyone. All issues aside it was a cool job and I would definitely recommend working for them.
Pros
Pay & Benefits package was great!
Cons
12 hour shifts and rotating schedule was rough
Good Place to work
Tax Compliance Intern (Former Employee) –  Denver, COFebruary 10, 2018
I enjoyed my time at Newmont, unfortunately, it was just an internship. The only negative aspect was that, as a mining company, they do well the economy is unstable; this can lead to a king of job insecurity
Millwright Intern (Current Employee) –  Carlin, NVFebruary 6, 2018
A typical day of work was productive but laid back enough to make sure no short cuts were made. I learned that safety is the number one priority while also learning about maintenance on crushers, conveyors, pumps, different liquids, and the general process of ore. The management in my area was very level headed and organized which made the environment enjoyable. The hardest job I have done was replacing conveyor skirting from inside the chute due to the tight, confined space as well as the dirty nature of the job. The most enjoyable part of the job would simply be working alongside the coworkers you interact with every day.
Pros
Friendly atmosphere
I learned about gold mining and refining.
Instrumentation/Electrical/Electronic Technician (Former Employee) –  Winnemucca, NVJanuary 31, 2018
I enjoyed working day shift at the gold mill. I tested and calibrated different types of monitoring equipment. I saw the largest autoclave I have ever seen, and worked on the equipment. Electrical, instrumentation, and PLC troubleshooting and repair.
Pros
Good daytime job, learned a lot about gold.
Cons
I had to commute 35 miles each way.
Trail of Tears
Haul Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Winnemucca, NVJanuary 5, 2018
When Newmont fires you , you get a 3 line letter of service stating your name, ss number and date from and to when you worked there. That is all. You are told that they do this so no one knows you were fired. The truth is when using this letter every potential employer knows that you were fired. No cause for firing you is given. You have no chance at getting a future job unless it is the bottom of the barrel.
Cons
If you are fired you WILL be blackballed.
recommend
Lead-man Underground Miner (Former Employee) –  Carlin, NVDecember 27, 2017
This was my first mining job. I was taught how to be a safe and productive miner. The only reason I left this job was because there was no more room to advancement,
Pros
Relaxed work enviroment
High compensation/low satisfaction
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Greenwood Village, CODecember 6, 2017
Promote from within and figure out how to not be so top heavy. Most employees would like the opportunity to cross-train and learn other skills, but management won't spend the time or money to make it happen.
Pros
Compensation and benefits, excellent PTO
Cons
Management and lack of work/life balance
Fun Job great employees
IT EUC Tech (Former Employee) –  Northern NVNovember 20, 2017
A typical day at Newmont is 10 hours or more a day, but they only work 4 days a week. Plenty of overtime when I worked there. The weather can be an issue in the winter.
Pros
Employees, some outdoor work
Cons
The weather can be pretty harsh in the mtns.
Challenging work place
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Victor, CONovember 2, 2017
Fast Paced and Challenging, safety focus, enjoyed working with the team at site, however, regional and corporate teams were challenging. Workplace culture changed significantly in the last 18 months.
Pros
Challenging
Cons
Lack of Engagement
It is a good job
Mine Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Oasis, NVOctober 31, 2017
Very is very interesting and challenging. The problems that arise are a very good test of your skills! It is a new mine so it is a work in progress that both makes it fun and a little frustrating.
Productive and challenging
Process Foreman (Current Employee) –  6 miles north of Carlin, NVOctober 6, 2017
The company provided great opportunities to learn different skills. The Newmont Legacy Fund provided money for different community charities. They are a company that's puts their employees safety first and production last.
Pros
Benefits were excellent
Cons
Work schedule, rotating shifts
Benifits for the employee
Drift Mechanic underground (Former Employee) –  Carlin, NVOctober 4, 2017
BUS RIDE to work and home. there was a 20.000 dallar Tool loan allowance and paid back with no tax or interest.. safety products were no limit. you needed Glasses they provided. they purchaced your first boots. no questions asked.. alot of benifits.
Good place
Miner (Current Employee) –  Elko, NVSeptember 13, 2017
I enjoy the pace of work there. I was able to get training in areas I was lacking those skills. Large mixture of ethnic backgrounds and cultures. Makes working there fun and interesting.
Pros
Safety, and good trainging
Cons
work Schedule days on to days off