Newport-Mesa Unified School District

Newport-Mesa Unified School District Employee Reviews

United States38 reviews
Good job
The pay and benefits are good for what the job is. Most people that work here are easy to get along with. The schedule is awesome and they give you lots of PTO.
Expects more hours to be worked to finish the job.
Hardest part of the job was working more hours than being paid and not being compensated per Union regulation. Office manager gossiping about all who worked there and not keeping confidentiality. Some of. the Counselors were awesome to work for while others barely lifted a finger. Principal not interested in backing up the counselors.
I was not happy
I love to work at school district but i was not happy the way my supervisor treated me unfair ,i somehow i felt like he racist even though i always did good job and i always get recommended by principle thats why the reason i left the job
Overall good
Not a lot of money but good experience! I enjoyed my time and the people that I got to work with so overall good experience. Check it out if you enjoyed working with kids.
Hard work, low pay, but rewarding work
Demanding but rewarding. You can't be in it for the money. I made it work because I was a single mom and the schedule worked. Can't comment on benefits because I was a Sub for 7 years. I don't think they wanted to make me a regular employee (although I worked every school day) to save money on benefits.
Pros
time off same as your own children
Cons
low paying
Would you recommend working at your company?
Help people considering your employer make a good choice.
Fast paced, never boring, "make a difference" kind of place to work.
Great place to work. Good pay and benefits also. I was a one-on-one aide to a special needs student for 10 years, following her from 1st to 11th grade. Was a great place to work and was always challenging working with students.
helped me develop strong communication skills
It was a long time ago. It was a great opportunity to gain teaching experience and I'm grateful for the time I spent there. It helped me to develop a better cross-cultural understanding and strong communication skills.
Attendance Assistant job duties
On a typical day of work, I answer heavy inbound calling, as well as heavy outbound calling. I also perform light data entry and assist with customer service.
Pros
Excellent benefits and paid vacation and sick time.
Diverse workplace
This place is very comfortable but I believe that there needs to be full day pre-kinder program offered, where the teachers and assistants can concentrate on 24 students per day, rather than 48. I enjoyed the lessons that that the children learned from, the classroom aesthetics, and the facility itself but it was very challenging to keep up with SO MANY DRDP's that is seemed difficult to truly enjoy the children. I did learn many new tips about the reading programs that were offered and I was truly impressed by all the programs that were offered to the children.
Each school was a joy to be at.
Each school within Newport Mesa USD was a joy to work at. The pay however as a substitute teacher is disgraceful. I do believe substitute teachers should receive comparable pay for the job they are asked to do.
Cons
Low pay wage, no benefits, being treated by some students very poorly.
Great Place to work
A great place to work, I'm just relocating because our family is growing. Great people and amazing admin. I couldn't have asked for a better team. People were always willing to help.
Good place to work compensation/benefits-wise
I sub'd in Special Education as an instructional assistant and then as a permanent instructional assistant in special ed a few years later. It's been a while since I worked there but overall, it paid better than a lot of schools do for instructional assistants and had good benefits. I felt supported by staff too as I was working on my Early Childhood Education degree and my credential in Mild/Moderate Special Education.
Pros
Good pay/benefits/Education Support
Cons
would have liked to have full time hours
Great place to work with kids.
I have worked with student athletes making sure they had all their paperwork completed in order to compete. I also worked in the Health center rooming patients and scheduling appointments.
Pros
Working with the kids.
Cons
Having to leave because of an injury.
Great employer, but in decline
It was a great company to work for, if you're willing and able to do the work. However, the management and higher ups have steadily declined in quality. The good ones left, and the new hires definitely aren't as good. Great benefits
Engaging and Positive Work
AVID is an excellent academic program that works to equip students with skills necessary to pursue a post-secondary education. The program is limited to students who would be first generation college students, providing them with a support system through which to access resources and assistance they may otherwise not have access to.
As an AVID tutor, my job is to provide support for students in subjects they struggle with, encourage good academic habits, and eventually assist them in their college applications come senior year. It's a highly rewarding and intimate workplace and fosters a great sense of community and collaboration among coworkers, teachers and the students.
Pros
Flexible hours, rewarding
Cons
No benefits
Unhappy Management Makes Life Miserable for Employees
Unfortunately, when one works in an environment where the management is unhappy; the gloom trickles down. There is a lot of work to do when running a classroom. The time spent with unnecessary madness and demands from management takes time away from the students. It is unfair that it has come to this, but it has! The sad part is the students are the ones who suffer!
Pros
Great Students! Great Parents!
Cons
Management!
Productive Workplace
I have a wonderful opportunity to serve and instruct Autistic youth. No day is the same due to the population of students that I support. The most enjoyable part of my job is experiencing the growth and development of young people who are challenged with learning issues.

The workplace culture is academic. I continue to learn how important being the best individual contributor I can be in support of our team.

The hardest part of the job is wanting and willing to contribute much more to the organization but being limited due to the minimum hours allowed to work each day.
Pros
Instruction of youth
Cons
Financial Growth
Innovative and intellectually challenging
Challenging and innovative work environment. Intellectually stimulating. Management was supportive and encouraged collaboration as well as open communication.
Pros
Opporttunities for ongoing learning
Cons
Documentation and compliance deadlines
Teachers are very nice and collaborate well with each other. Both of my children go to Newport Mesa so I intrust that if us a good place to work as well as send my children
Fun place to work at, very fast paced and customer service oriented
Productive and great place to work at, great benefits, great staff to work with, room for advancement. Very customer service oriented as we have to deal with the public on a daily basis.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Having to test to advance in your career.
Laid-back workplace
Working as a tutor for Costa Mesa High School was a good job, however, it wasn't much. We would usually have people tutoring during school hours, as well as after school till evening. Tutoring during school did not do much because few students would come in to get help during these hours. After school hours would get a bit out of control with too many students and not enough tutors. Although this job was very slow paced, it was rewarding working with certain students who came regularly for help and I saw improvements in these students.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Newport-Mesa Unified School District. Our community is ready to answer.
4.2
Ratings from women
1.6
InHerSight Score
1.6Personal Development
1.8Career Opportunities
1.8Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Newport-Mesa Unified School District Reviews by Location