Newport-Mesa Unified School District Employee Reviews

Engaging and Positive Work
AVID Tutor (Current Employee) –  Newport Beach, CAFebruary 18, 2019
AVID is an excellent academic program that works to equip students with skills necessary to pursue a post-secondary education. The program is limited to students who would be first generation college students, providing them with a support system through which to access resources and assistance they may otherwise not have access to.
As an AVID tutor, my job is to provide support for students in subjects they struggle with, encourage good academic habits, and eventually assist them in their college applications come senior year. It's a highly rewarding and intimate workplace and fosters a great sense of community and collaboration among coworkers, teachers and the students.
Pros
Flexible hours, rewarding
Cons
No benefits
Unhappy Management Makes Life Miserable for Employees
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Costa Mesa, CAJanuary 7, 2019
Unfortunately, when one works in an environment where the management is unhappy; the gloom trickles down. There is a lot of work to do when running a classroom. The time spent with unnecessary madness and demands from management takes time away from the students. It is unfair that it has come to this, but it has! The sad part is the students are the ones who suffer!
Pros
Great Students! Great Parents!
Cons
Management!
Productive Workplace
Behavioral Analyst Interventionist (BAI) (Current Employee) –  Costa Mesa, CAOctober 11, 2018
I have a wonderful opportunity to serve and instruct Autistic youth. No day is the same due to the population of students that I support. The most enjoyable part of my job is experiencing the growth and development of young people who are challenged with learning issues.

The workplace culture is academic. I continue to learn how important being the best individual contributor I can be in support of our team.

The hardest part of the job is wanting and willing to contribute much more to the organization but being limited due to the minimum hours allowed to work each day.
Pros
Instruction of youth
Cons
Financial Growth
Innovative and intellectually challenging
Resourse Specialist (Former Employee) –  Costa Mesa, CAAugust 19, 2018
Challenging and innovative work environment. Intellectually stimulating. Management was supportive and encouraged collaboration as well as open communication.
Pros
Opporttunities for ongoing learning
Cons
Documentation and compliance deadlines
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Costa Mesa, CAJune 19, 2018
Teachers are very nice and collaborate well with each other. Both of my children go to Newport Mesa so I intrust that if us a good place to work as well as send my children
Fun place to work at, very fast paced and customer service oriented
Office Assistant II - Welcome Center (Current Employee) –  Costa Mesa, CAMay 31, 2018
Productive and great place to work at, great benefits, great staff to work with, room for advancement. Very customer service oriented as we have to deal with the public on a daily basis.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Having to test to advance in your career.
Laid-back workplace
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Costa Mesa, CAMay 29, 2018
Working as a tutor for Costa Mesa High School was a good job, however, it wasn't much. We would usually have people tutoring during school hours, as well as after school till evening. Tutoring during school did not do much because few students would come in to get help during these hours. After school hours would get a bit out of control with too many students and not enough tutors. Although this job was very slow paced, it was rewarding working with certain students who came regularly for help and I saw improvements in these students.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Great work environment with excellent holidays
Behavior Analysis Interventionist (Former Employee) –  Costa Mesa, CAMay 6, 2018
Great work environment with excellent holidays. Minimal professional advancement without pursing additional schooling. Good job if you're in school because the schedule is great and have good holidays. Ample paid sick time as well.
Remarkable place to work
Information Technician/Computer Teacher/Webmaster (Former Employee) –  Newport Beach, CAApril 12, 2018
I love to working with children and share my knowledge. This was an awesome opportunity to work and enjoy what you are doing. I was a computer teach back there and setting up a computer lab, research and testing software, teach children how to use educational software in math and ready are awesome skills set which help me to teach my own kids a this time to learn and to serve.
Great Place To work
Instructional Assistant, Special Education (Former Employee) –  Costa Mesa, CANovember 17, 2017
I loved working with the faculty, staff, and students. If given the chance I would love to work there again. I loved seeing students succeed and grow. I enjoyed interacting with the students, faculty, and staff.
Pros
The environment in which I worked was wonderful. Loved the people
Cons
There are no Cons
its a job
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Costa Mesa, CA 92626October 22, 2017
its a job, I like the students. The location is far but I don't mind. Most of the staff are friendly. The hours are flexible and I like the work. I would recommend for any who want to teach.
working with students is rewarding
Noon duty supervisor (Former Employee) –  Newport Beach, CAAugust 28, 2017
I enjoy working in schools as there is great reward to making a difference in children's lives. I find the one to one interaction from helping a student to tie their shoes or teaching kids to play jump rope to saving a child from choking at lunch is very rewarding.
Pros
Working with children
Cons
Indifference from some staff with teamwork
Fun place to work
Instructional Assistant for Afterschool Program (Former Employee) –  Costa Mesa, CAAugust 11, 2017
Fast pace work environment working with children. Fun after school program where you work on instructional materials to promote student learning. You have summers off.
Good starting point for teaching
Student Teacher (Former Employee) –  Newport Beach, CAAugust 5, 2017
This was my first experience with teaching. As I was newly appointed to the job, it was a very good way to learn as you go.
This was really a student teaching position. There was nothing really hard about this job and was enjoyable keeping the pace of teaching them.
Pros
Learning experience
Cons
Just a temporary job until my student teaching was over
Rewarding place to work
Special Education Instructional Assistant (Former Employee) –  Costa Mesa, CAJuly 27, 2017
Helping students is a very rewarding and challenging job, it makes everyday a good challenge. The main drawback to these jobs is that non certificated staff only work 30 hours a week for ten months.
Substitute Teacher
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Costa Mesa, CAJuly 19, 2017
I take student role and follow the lesson plans that teachers set out for me.
I monitor student behavior and encourage learning.
This has helped me learn classroom management.
Very Productive
Student Assistant (Current Employee) –  Costa Mesa, CAJanuary 22, 2017
-Assisting the Teacher in the classroom and playground activities
-Providing supervision of children with both Teacher and Teacher Assistant in the classroom and on the playground
-Asssiting in leading activities planned by the Teacher
Good place to work if you care to kiss-up and play their game
Student Records Technician (Former Employee) –  Costa Mesa, CAJanuary 17, 2017
I can only include a review with only 2 positive things to say: The district pays well and they have excellent benefits. That is it! No one is treated as an individual, and there is zero support during difficult times.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Low Moral
Great Job with great people.
BAI- Behavior Analysis Interventionist (Current Employee) –  Costa Mesa, CASeptember 9, 2015
Working for the NMUSD has been a truly rewarding experience. Educating students with disabilities has helped me grow on a personal and professional level. The job has ups and downs but the work is worth while and the people you meet (staff and students) are amazing to work with.
Pros
rewarding work
Cons
Full time caps at six hours
great place to work
Delegated Behind-the-Wheel Trainer (Current Employee) –  Costa Mesa, CAMarch 19, 2015
teach safe driving practices to drivers, keep drivers records, organize safety meetings for drivers, work with the California Highway Patrol to make sure drivers have valid credentials.