Newport Academy Employee Reviews

It was a good feeling to have a job where you are able to help the younger population better their lives
Direct Care Worker (Current Employee) –  ConnecticutJune 13, 2018
Newport Academy has a good mission, however the management lacks any sort of integrity, dignity or respect towards its employees. High turn over amongst employees and often times short-staffed leading to an unsafe/unstable/unsupportive working environment.
Pros
Helping the younger population
Cons
Unsupportive management, awful communication
Not for Minorities
Care Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Orange, CAMay 3, 2018
If you're looking for a place that offers diversity and advancement you won't find it here. Worked for over a year with all the education requirements and no disciplinary actions and still no advancement. Others with fewer education hours and experience advanced quickly. It's more of a who you know than what you know environment. The staff (98%), upper and lower management and the clients served are non minorities and thats from the west coast to the east coast. Check out the staff on their website and see for yourself.
Pros
fulfilling to work with teens
Cons
no diversity, low pay, no lunch breaks, staff not allowed to bring their own food, lower staff not allowed caffeine, no room for advancement, good old boy culture
good if you don't plan on getting anywhere
Care Coordinaror (Current Employee) –  Bethlehem, CTMarch 27, 2018
In the beginning it felt I was helping and the company meant well and treated employees with dignity. After growth, management is awful, no support. Favoritism and lack of compensation for jobs given. Very unmanageable working environment with lack of management. No breaks and always short staffed.
Pros
good hourly pay for little experience
Cons
no breaks, not appreciated and very poor management
Three Stars
Care Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Bethlehem, CTMarch 12, 2018
Good company fun job. People who work there are young and move up the latter before anyone who is older and has more experience. They need to pay more to the care coordinators they do most of the work with the teens.
Pros
Fast paced
Cons
No advancement
great place to work if you like rehab
Care Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Orange, CAJanuary 17, 2018
Newport Academy is a great place to work if you like the detox environment and adolescence. If you are i recovery it's a great place to start and be a mentor to the young kids.
Pros
laid back environment
Cons
you never know what you are going to get from a resident on a daily basis
Very negative workplace environment
Care Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Bethlehem, CTJanuary 16, 2018
I would not recommend anyone to work here. There is an extremely negative culture. Everyone talks behind each other's backs and the company has zero loyalty to any employees. I received a $0.70 raise after working there for two years. Higher-level employees will not speak to you or look at you unless you have a Master's Degree.
Worked at Newport Academy for quite some time...
Residential Management (Current Employee) –  Orange, CADecember 11, 2017
I was one of the few who found themselves in advancing roles. I was around at Newport Academy for quite some time, so I understood how things worked within it's culture - how to advance, how to address some situations and completely stay disassociated from others. Every company has it's own culture and feel. Newport Academy wasn't a bad culture, and if I didn't need to relocate, I would still want to continue working with them; but sometimes life doesn't make that a possibility. I wish them the best and hope to stay connected in some aspects.
Pros
Collaborative Team Effort
Cons
Challenging Expectations
Great Place
Employee (Current Employee) –  Corona del Mar, CANovember 15, 2017
Great work place, with an awesome team. It can be draining and these jobs aren't meant for everyone. Burning out is common, and I have seen many new faces come and go in my few years of working.
Fast paced
therapist (Current Employee) –  Orange, CAOctober 17, 2017
Great place to work with opportunity to grow within the company. Training opportunities available, awesome supervision and clinical team. Mental health and chemical dependency clientale.
Pros
Growth within company
Cons
Income
Fast Paced Company with Exciting Growth
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  Orange County, CAOctober 4, 2017
The best mental health treatment center in the world, hands down.

Most enjoyable part of the job- If you want to be challenged in life and your career, come to work for Newport Academy, go work for Newport Academy. If not, don't bother, as you won't last. It is a fast paced, fast growing company and you have to be an A player to keep up.

Hardest part of the job- The challenging fast paced environment, but I love the challenge.

Workplace culture- Better be an A player
Boys Residental
Care Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Orange, CAAugust 4, 2017
Great place to work, only thing I say needs to be restructured is management! Management does not do well with structure or grooming current and new employees to the job. Management will use one employee to the fullest of their extent because they can depend on them but will not put forth effort to train, retrain and or write up and let go of those who are simply working for a pay check and not for the greater good of the company/ clients.
I love my job!
Equine Staff, Barn Manager (Current Employee) –  Bethlehem, CTJuly 12, 2017
Being part of the equine staff has been a wonderful experience! I first began my career here at Newport while I was in college and did simple night checks on the horses (job took less than an hour). Less than a year later I was able to increase my hours and take on PM horse care. After a little over a year I was offered the position as the Barn Manager! Our staff is friendly, drama free, well knowledgable in their field, easily to talk to, and capable of doing their work independently.

Overall, being part of the equine staff is a great job! Great pay compared to what you will see for the average barn staff, the barn is run so that tasks are easy and quick, staff is great to work with and opportunities are given to the right employee.
Not a supportive environment
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Bethlehem, CT 06751June 20, 2017
I worked at Newport, and if something ever happened to you, you didn't get any form of back up or assistance. you are told to work and the clients safety is most important, even over your own if said client gets hostile.
no room for advancement
equine staff (Former Employee) –  Bethlehem, CT 06751May 24, 2017
I was employed by Newport Academy for 1.5 years. My department manager was a poor communicator and not supportive to the department staff. Newport Academy was great for short-term employment but not a place for personal and professional growth
Short term work applicable.
Care Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Orange, CAApril 17, 2017
This is a great job for short term work. No room for advancement currently which has forced other to move on sooner than they would like. Pay is decent.
Fun environment dedicated to helping families
IT Specialist (Current Employee) –  Orange, CAMarch 2, 2015
I am an IT Specialist working for Newport Academy, a teenage rehab center dedicated in helping teenagers overcoming drug and alcohol abuse as well as helping their relationship with the families. A typical day at work for me includes resolving any technical issues that arises as well as help improve and upgrade Newport Academy with any technical needs (upgrade software, application suggestions). Management and co-workers are cooperative and supportive. The hardest part of my job is being the only IT person to resolve all technical issues for the company but it is also the most enjoyable part because I enjoy helping my co-workers and supervisors.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
No room for advancement
Semi-fun environment with lots of rewards
Care Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Orange, CAOctober 30, 2014
A basic day as a CC had me interacting with the adolescents. Whether it was helping them through a recovery assignment or questions about recovery, or playing a game with them to show them that recovery is fun. I would also drive them to meetings and dispense medication. I also had to do things around the house such as keep the rooms tidy and do dishes and such.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Newport Academy. Our community is ready to answer.

Newport Academy Reviews by Location