Newport Hotel Group Employee Reviews

Your just a number!
Front Desk Agent (Former Employee) –  Cape Cod, MAFebruary 7, 2019
Newport Hotel Group needs help figuring out how to maintain staff! The workplace culture is toxic and mismanaged across the board from ownership to HR and all around.
Pros
Hotel stay discounts
Cons
Micromanagement, Employee retention
Good entry level positions and great way to gain experience
new manager (Current Employee) –  RIJanuary 29, 2019
They give opportunities to entry-level employees such as career switchers or recent graduates. It's a great company to grow your career really quickly.

Also provides great options for health benefits. Competitive wages for staff members at all levels. Friendly and helpful employees/managers.
Pros
Growth opportunities
Cons
hospitality industry feels so fast paced at times
Toxic Atmosphere!
Manager in Training (Former Employee) –  Newport, RIDecember 26, 2018
Like most of the other legit reviews (good ones were written by the HR department - just like their fake Trip Advisor reviews) this is just an awful company to work for. The HR department runs every facet of the company which is, of course, odd in of itself. But with the HR department staffed with nasty, vindictive and cruel people it's impossible to work for them for very long. This, by the way, seems just fine with them. Get them young, inexperienced, promise the world then work them to the bone and discard them.
Pros
Cons
Working for the company
I liked working at the hotel.
Housekeeping Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Cape Cod, MAFebruary 28, 2018
When I started working at the hotel, I did not have experience. I was able to learn from my mgr and take on more. I was promoted and paid well. I liked my co-workers and my managers. I work hard and I am dependable. People that are not, were talked to. I liked that. I appreciate that my work was recognized. I had to move so i had to leave. Nothing bad to say.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Cold winters in New England
Front Desk Agent turned Laundry Aid
Front Desk Agent (Former Employee) –  North Conway, NHFebruary 19, 2018
I was hired for front desk with aspirations of working in an administrative/clerical customerservice position and within weeks was forced into housekeeping. when I have my two weeks because I couldn't deal with the working conditions of 9 hours folding and carrying laundry when i had never done that before in my life. lI got sick from the dust, and lost weight from being active all day. i was let go because there just weren't enough hours at the front desk, the position i applied for.
Pros
12 dollars an hour
Cons
management and conditions, hard to move up
Great coworkers, different corporate structure
FD Agent (Current Employee) –  Newport, RIJanuary 29, 2018
Overall an okay place to work but if you like to be independent and not on overwatch from HR, avoid. The people you can meet in this company are wonderful, but management makes it hard to enjoy the day to day.
Work is no good when constantly having to look over your shoulder
Full Time Employee (Current Employee) –  Newport, RIDecember 25, 2017
HR has far too much control in this company. There is a constant fear when speaking with HR that you will say the wrong thing and be blackballed. Properties have inner circles around management, and if you aren't in that inner circle you are almost treated as an outcast.
Pros
Wages
Cons
Management, Hr
Productive & fun to work there
Pool & Beach Attendant (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLDecember 21, 2017
Don’t carry so much chairs you will mess up you’re back. I mean what can I say , use this job to you’re advantage. Be polite, be fast , the guest are the main priority at the hotel, make sure you do you’re job.
Pros
Loved there food
Cons
30 min break
Fun working environment
Reservations Agent (Former Employee) –  Middletown, RIApril 27, 2017
I loved working here. My manager was the best! Great team environment just like a small family. I would refer this job to anyone. I would still be there if I didn't have to relocate to TX
Pros
Pay, incentives, employee appreciation
Cons
Short breaks
Great Company
Reservation Agent (Current Employee) –  Middletown, RIApril 18, 2017
This is a wonderful work environment with amazing people. This job has very high call volume, great customer service opportunity with taking reservations all over the country.
Don't plan on being around for more than a season
Manager (Former Employee) –  Teton Village, WYMarch 7, 2017
The hotel industry is tough enough without the politics of Newport Hotel Group.

The Newport Hotel Group is basically the bottom of the barrel when it comes to operating hotels.

If you find yourself working for them, you may want to consider your options as the turn over is incredibly high.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
Corporate office is rude
The absolute worst company out there
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Hyannis, MASeptember 12, 2016
Stay away - this is like working for the J/V team with a chip on their shoulder.

Days off aren't granted

HR controls everything

GM's are puppets of HR

RDO is arrogant and incompetent

Note - all of the senior leaders used to be the managers of the Hotel Viking. That is the sum of their experience.
Pros
You meet great people from their J1 program
Cons
Newport Hotel Group
Very nice work place with an amazing staff memebers.
Ho (Former Employee) –  Newport, RIOctober 6, 2015
Every morning we were having a pre-shift meeting on which we were discussing the good and bad things from the previous day after that the manager was telling us what the present day forecast looks like, explaining to us on what we have to focus for this day, giving us our duty boards and everybody were going to work.
Pros
Staff appreciation week in the end of September
Cons
Short staff

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Newport Hotel Group. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6