Newscycle Solutions Employee Reviews

Questionable management, dying industry
Latin America Sales Director (Former Employee) –  Latin AmericaAugust 22, 2018
Been there since it was family owned and up until a few years ago, the transformation was very radical. Some of the management still in place will not appreciate the efforts and goals achieved. The industry itself has been on a major decline for quite a while. Today's operations barely resemble what it once was. Look at the tenure of the sales team and you will quickly notice why it is the way it is.
Pros
Used to be compensated properly.
Cons
Lack of growth.
Alright.
Employee (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, MNMarch 9, 2018
The people are great. The management is nice. Benefits are not the greatest and could be way better. Overall I like the job i just have nowhere to go here.
Lower than market salary. Many Chiefs.
HR Generalist & Payroll Administrator (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, MNNovember 10, 2017
The company is open about their lower than market salary. Many employees are recruited by outside firms. Having more than 5 executives steer a company of <300 people, makes for a slow down in decision making and execution.
Pleasant work environment
QUALITY ASSURANCE SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Melbourne, FLAugust 18, 2017
A typical day consists of a lot of meetings, which keeps everyone on the same page but does not allow for the majority of your time to be spent on your actual work. The management was heavily involved and was prompt in their response time. The hardest part of the job was trying to coordinate with people in other countries.
Pros
Pleasant work environment
Cons
Too many people not knowing basic computing in a computer field.
Company can't figure out the future in a dying industry
Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  MinnesotaJuly 27, 2017
The company does not have the right attitude or skills to innovate so they are stuck with updating legacy software per dinosaur customer's requests. Compensation is very low but the people are nice.
Pros
Cowokers
Cons
Compensation
Contract is dangerous for employee. Company will not negotiate.
Web Designer (Former Employee) –  remoteDecember 22, 2015
I worked for a company (for 9 years) that Newscycle bought out, and was presented with a contract to continue with Newscycle. The non-compete clauses and ownership of work were so restrictive that I had to hire an attorney to make sure they were real.

According to the contract, if I left for any reason I could not work for any company that does business that the company is involved in, for 12 months. That could be construed as not just news/media, but ANY design or internet company.

According to the contract, the company would own all rights to any work I did while employed by the company that pertained to the business of the company. Again, that could be ANY design or internet work I did, even on my own time for my own purposes.

According to the contract, the company could change the terms of the contract at any time for any reason. Also according to the contract, you cannot talk negatively about the company after leaving. And any disputes would be handled in court in Springfield, IL, which I cannot easily get to.

I asked to change the terms of the contract, or required heavy compensation to accept such terms. They offered nothing in return, and even were going to take away benefits I had, amounting to a pay cut. I had to turn it down, causing me to lose my job without any severance or even ability to collect unemployment.
Pros
Cons
benefits cut, dangerously one-sided contract, venture-capital front
Work environment, great! Pay and appreciation low
Software Developer (Current Employee) –  Melbourne, FLNovember 11, 2015
Great people on the lower end. Everyone is nice and great to work with, but management is rigid and inflexible. My original job title was a Java developer, but that soon turned into upwards to 9 separate technologies. That of which I did not receive any formal training, but had to learn on my own, while still being productive in all of them for an enormous product that I know nothing about. This was all well and good, but I was soon well over qualified for my starting position and was not being compensated for all the work that I do. I have learned A LOT here but almost none of which was by the guidance of a more experienced developer on the product. However, I do enjoy the job. I really like working here. I can come in pretty much when I want to, and leave when I want to as long as I get all my work done in a timely manner. No one is looking over your shoulder. It's just difficult when I still need to pay school loans, and still live the life I want to with the salary I'm given.
Pros
Great work environment, flexible hours, no big brother is watching
Cons
Low pay, no appreciation, no recognition, no career advancement
don't bother...
Software Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, MNJune 25, 2015
Direct peers are nice and friendly...like in most places. Management is nice too but overly incompetent in their role. Sometimes, they don't even know their role....
the training program is ridiculous and makes no sense. It consists of ridiculous high school type of class learning and homework that last about 2 to 3 months and that will decided if you can stay with the company or not. usually about 60% pass the classes. but that goes to show they do not know how to select and hire the right candidate. All in the meantime, they waste money and resources...
The pay is on the low side also, and does not help retain good efficient experience employee.
All in all they still haven't figured out how to make this company pleasing to work for and with...
Pros
some good co-workers
Cons
horrible management and low wages...
Tolerable place to work but needs improvement.
IT Systems Administrator (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIMarch 25, 2015
Overall Newscycle Solutions is an ok place to work but not the best. There is a lot of room for improvement. My particular office that i work in is very slow paced. There is very minimal end user interaction. Compensation is decent but benefits are not so good.
A lot of my duties as Systems Admin that i am used to doing on a daily basis, i do not do anymore at this office. I maybe have a few tickets to work on a week. Co- Workers are great to work with however. Even though it does come across as very boring, sometimes it is nice to have a relaxing environment, but not so much as everyday or every week consistently. I prefer to be busy most of the time.
Pros
Not a lot of overtime needed and or after hour support. So work/life balance is good.
Cons
Healthcare is awful. Work environment could be better. Boring and slow paced.
Many Pros and Cons
Finance / Accounting (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, MNFebruary 18, 2015
So many mixed feelings about this company:

Work/Life Balance:
Although the schedule started to get better, the constant expectation was that you stay late to get more done and at the end of the day you could have always accomplished more. You also had to log on many nights or weekends. The company went through a cleanup/merger period for all of 2014 which required some of this, but the way it was communicated/executed was lacking.

Compensation:
My personal compensation was very reasonable although not many others seemed to share that view about theirs. Benefits were ok except healthcare which dropped a little.

Job Security/Advancement:
There were many opportunities that opened up due to turnover and expansion. By far the biggest issue was lack of communication though. Someone would apply for a position internally, hear nothing, and then see the job posted later with no explanation. Some job positions or titles were changed abruptly with little notice or consultation.

Management:
The CEO was great in my opinion. The CFO was very talented and delivered results but at significant cost to employee relationships and retention. In my opinion the CFO was the biggest reason for high turnover in this department and not only because of long hours.

Job Culture:
This company was an amazing learning opportunity and most of the employees were fantastic. Very smart, driven, and capable staff that sought to work together rather than pass the buck. Virtually no "bad apples" or backstabbing. The culture just became too much about results and not enough about people
  more... in that department.

All in all, there were many good things about the company including a ton of potential in the industry. To be determined if it becomes a great company to work for, but at the moment a lot of hurdles to clear.
OK place to work, a very young (Gen X) workplace
FINANCIAL ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, MNAugust 22, 2014
While I did enjoy working there, they laid me off after a month as they had bought another company and said they had all the help they needed, Within a week, the same position was posted on the job boards.
Great place to work except struggling due to ties to newspaper industry
Senior Software Developer (Current Employee) –  Roseville, MNNovember 11, 2013
Has always been a casual, flexible and friendly place to work. Due to financial issues, however, it has become extremely short-staffed and has begun offering poor benefits.
Pros
People are great
Cons
Extremely poor health insurance