Newsela

Newsela Employee Reviews

Newsela insights

What people like
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Fair pay for job
  • Inclusive work environment

Excellent company

I’ve been with Newsela for four years a remote contractor and I don’t have any reason to leave. Management has been responsive every time I’ve had a question or concern and they genuinely seem to care. When I was hospitalized my senior editor sent almost daily emails to check up on me. There have been months where the workflow showed down, and if I had to nitpick I would like to see the wire update automatically because catching available assignments can be tricky. Other than that, I have no problems and I will be with Newsela for the long haul.

Pros

Flexible schedule, manageable deadlines.

Cons

Inconsistent workflow

Incredible mission, bad management

Very amazing and important mission on improving education. Smart, thoughtful, and kind colleagues. Fun events for staff. Unfortunately, executive leadership is inept and highly egotistical.

Pros

Wonderful Colleagues, great mission

Cons

Inept upper management, unprofessional CEO

Excellent freelance editing client

Editing articles intended for students K-12. Interesting article (I frequently learn something new, which is fun); flexible work; supportive, helpful client; good pay rates; quick, reliable payment schedule.

Good edtech company

Newsela is a good place to work. Really I am just trying to update my resume for freelancing opportunities, and for some reason it is making me fill this out

Compelling mission, talented colleagues, and major opportunities for growth.

Newsela is a wonderful place full of talented colleagues motivated to bring their best every day to the inspiring challenge of making the world's best content accessible to educators and students worldwide.

Do you enjoy working at your company?

Help people considering your employer make a good choice.

Okay Company

Nice mission to get the word out to young readers. i enjoyed my work with them, unfortunately there wasn't enough volume of work to start out with to allow me to support myself fully, and I had to terminate my contract.

Newsela

I have been a Freelance Contributor for NewsELA for the last few months and it has been great. They pay very well for projects and give you a lot of freedom within them. They are also quick to respond with a question or concern.

Enjoyable freelance copy editing gig

Autonomy and freedom within the framework of completing freelance editing projects in a timely fashion. Newsela is doing important work, using journalistic content to help differentiate instruction in U.S. classrooms. I have enjoyed working for the company.

Terrible company rampant with incompetence

Terrible and incompetent management and leadership who preaches the value of inclusion and transparency yet directly punishes employees who dare to speak up. Cult-like culture that aggressively attacks anyone who does not drink the "kool-aid."

Cons

Terrible management

Great People, Great Product!!

There are not enough good things I can say about Newsela. I really enjoyed my time there and loved the people and the environment. This would be a great place to start your career.

Pros

Benefits, People

Cons

Start Up Environment, Some kinks to work out but they will get there

Best Job I've Ever Had

Newsela is a growing company with an incredible mission. You don't have to come from Education to be passionate about making a difference. There is so much opportunity and growth for your career. Leadership makes you feel supported and wants everyone to be successful. It's hard work and easy to come to work each and every day.

Flexible, Well-paid Position

The Newsela team is supportive, accessible, and always open to feedback and suggestions. They are constantly implementing improvements that make the job smoother. The remote positions are extremely flexible and pay well.

Terrible, lack of transparency

Where to even start? Most glaring is the utter lack of transparency at the management level (as seen by many of the negative reviews on Glassdoor before they somehow magically disappeared-- let's see if Indeed has any integrity at all). Management will say one thing, but really mean another. It's frankly amusing and kind of sad that management expects employees to believe their lies. We all know what happens when anyone stands up to management (hint: the picture is not pretty). Equally alarming is the lack of organization (this is clearly reflected in the interview process). All in all, Newsela is a shady and disorganized company that has a nice mission.

Truly mission-driven

Nobody at Newsela has a j-o-b. Everyone is in it for the mission, which is spreading literacy. But it isn't a slow-moving non-profit. It is a tech startup with a real heart. The work is ever-changing and challenging but the thing that keeps most people going is the constant feedback we get from our users who are all teachers and students. They're vocal about what they love and that's what fires us up. Everyone in the company has a passion for either reading, language or education and its ultimate promise. It's what bonds us together because we're otherwise quite a diverse group of people with very different skills and backgrounds (teaching, programming, journalism, etc.). The management is human-oriented. They give people ownership over their own work and are very understanding. There's a culture of humor and a fun rivalry between the East Coast and West Coast offices. Everyone generally cares about one another and looks after one another. Hardest part of the job is trying to fulfill all that is asked of us from users while we're still a startup and relatively small in terms of staff, but that's also what gives everyone the chance to wear several hats and take a hand in many different parts of the company. The general sense of growth is thrilling.

Pros

Everyone gets week between Christmas and New Year's off (in addition to liberal vacation policy), company book club, fun retreats and outings

Cons

Teleconferencing software we use could be better, meetings get dropped sometimes or start off really choppy.

Fulfilling and fun place to work

I have great coworkers and feel like a very valued member of a team that does amazing work for K-12 students. The team at Newsela is small, but mighty, especially the team that runs its site content. Every employee brings their own set of skills, learning experience and creative ideas to the company. Management is run in a way that strongly values what all of our team members think and no ones voice falls on deaf ears.

Pros

stock, fantastic coworkers, travel, solid benefits

Cons

we work a lot but enjoy what we do

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Newsela. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Diversity score

out of 100
Comparably
Diversity Score
Top 10%
In the Top 10% of similar size companies
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Newsela.
Powered byComparably