Newton County School System Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Do Not work there
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Oxford, GAJuly 17, 2018
This County has issues that go far beyond the teaching. The administrations are allowed and encouraged to be bully's and make life miserable for the teachers.
Pros
Your teaching
Cons
Everything else
A lot of pressure to pass state testing.
Special Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  Covington, GAJuly 10, 2018
I worked in the Newton County School system for quite some time. I know that it was similar to many other schools systems in that the pressure to pass state testing increased exponentially each year but it put a lot of pressure on both the students and the teachers as well as the administration.
Pros
Job security, staff, safety
Cons
Curriculum design did not address student learning styles and abilities.
Teacher
6th Grade Language Arts Teacher (Former Employee) –  Covington, GAJune 18, 2018
Great experience. The atmosphere was a great thing and it was greatly enjoyed by myself. Children were very inviting and staff was easy to work with in the environment
Na
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Covington, GAMay 29, 2018
Newton County Schools is an average school system with a very diverse student population. The work environment was average. There is a need for more structure in some schools.
Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  GeorgiaMay 28, 2018
Enjoy working with the student. A lot of team work. Friendly atmosphere with staff. A lot of assistance for students for example after school. Different clubs for students to participate
Pros
Discounts for teachers
Cons
Short breaks every 6 to 8 weeks
working with the workers was fun
School Nutrition Assistant (Former Employee) –  Covington, GAMarch 12, 2018
I did learn how to work with a group of women. The job was very easy as long as one know how to take instructions. The children was fun to be around. Sometimes your coworkers can be a bit hard to get along explicitly if you are younger than them and you are their boss.
Pros
Free lunch and summer and school breaks off
Cons
The pay was not all that great
Newton County Public School System (ALCOVY HIGH)
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Covington, GANovember 2, 2017
I liked working with the students and giving them guidance and direction, I gave devoted attention to the special needs students and those sent to detention with discipline issues. I liked the respect given to me by the students and staff as well.
Pros
I enjoyed working with the students and staff. I enjoyed the respect I received.
Cons
Some students had serious behaviour issues, however, I was able to handle them and later earned their respect.
Great Working Opportunity for Growth
(School Nurse), GA (Former Employee) –  Covington, GAOctober 5, 2017
Mostly I enjoyed the variety of health conditions I had to manage, and the opportunity to educate students, parents and co-workers also, introducing programs to school and addressing psychosocial needs of students/family . The job provided challenges that increased growth in my nursing experience.
Work/Life balance is excellent due to school breaks.
Pros
Work Experiences, Work/Life balance is excellent
Cons
Low pay
Short term job
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Covington, GAOctober 4, 2017
Substitute teaching at Newton County Schools was great for me. I was able to finish my higher education and work there at the same time. The times I had a heavy load or class I didn't work. However, when I had slow time or light work I could go to work.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Low pay
This is an "at will" work environment which means that can fire you "at will" and really don't need a legitimate excuse.
Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Covington, GAAugust 17, 2017
The most enjoyable part of the job is the opportunity to make a difference. The hardest part is not having the support from faculty and administration to do your job. Seldom do you find a cohesive minded group of individuals working in a school. Most have their own interpretation of rules and bend them to suit their own agendas. The existence of cliques within the faculty and staff within a school is rampant. There is also the issue of not enforcing rules and enforcing consequences for student behavior. The fear of retaliation from parents is more important than making students behave and be respectful. If you are lucky, you will find the exception to this. There are several schools that have a reputation for being unified. The others are very stressful and at times a nightmare to navigate. The upside is that you get numerous breaks during the year: Fall break, Thanksgiving, Christmas, Spring Break, Summer. Just remember not to make anyone mad because you will find yourself seeking employment elsewhere.
Cons
lack of support from administration, lack of accountability for students
You learn to take one day at a time
Bus Driver/Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Covington, GAJuly 24, 2017
This a school transportation department so basically when you deal with that many children daily you are going to experience a higher level of stress.
You will also deal with the environment of no air conditioning when the weather is extremely hot due to the fact that there are no air conditioners on the bus
Pros
more than the usual vacation time
Cons
a stressful environment daily
It interesting
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Covington, GAJuly 9, 2017
My educational goal wore my priority. The flexibility of work hours allowed me to go to school fulltime and work when I didn't have school or homework. I especially love working at the College and Career Academy. I also like making a difference in young people's lives.
Pros
Work hours
Cons
Pay is low
Enjoyed being in the educational field.
Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Covington, GAMay 26, 2017
I worked for the school system for 12 years, and substitute taught two years prior to working full-time. Went back to college and earned my Bachelor of Science in Social Science and Human Services. I wanted to become a High School Guidance Counselor, but educational requirements changed right after graduation. Loved working with the academically challenged students and had a terrific colleague. The most rewarding part was seeing the students succeed, and I was always finding something positive to say about each student, they were unique, each in his own way.
Pros
Seeing student success
Cons
Attending night classes and working full-time, and driving the bus
Excellent
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Covington, GAApril 24, 2017
Really enjoy my time. I would say the experience is like any average county to teach in. Some days are better than others but overall it is an enjoyable place to work.
A day at middle school
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Covington, GAOctober 4, 2016
Days go by so fast. I teach 3 classes with block schedule every day. i have 3 planings time as 30 minutes each. I learned so my about the age group that I am working with. They can be pretty challenging. Managements is good but we have so much on our plates sometimes I do not get the eat lunch. I have to bring so much work to home and that really effects my life.
Love Driving
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Covington, GAJuly 8, 2016
The best part is when you have a kid give you a hug before they get off the bus everyday. Its to mess with when someone ask how many kids you have and you say 105. They look at you sideways. I would bring bottle water.
Pros
getting to know the kids
Cons
hot bus with no air.
NCSS provides a wonderful opportunity to grow and develop students, families, and all stakeholders.
Educator (Current Employee) –  Covington, GAJune 24, 2016
NCSS provides an excellent educational opportunity for students. The system provides on-going opportunities for professional development; and is dedicated to serving the community.
Pros
Effective management
Cons
Increase parental involvement
Friendly staff at most schools
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Covington, GAApril 27, 2016
The teachers and staff at most schools were pretty pleasant. Each teacher left detailed lesson plans.The children were pretty well behaved at most schools,
Pros
Close to my house
Cons
short lunch breaks
hard to work for this company.
SNP assistant (Former Employee) –  Covington, GAJanuary 1, 2016
My experience for working at the school system was hard and not very fun. I did enjoy working with the children but, that was the only fun part of the job. I was always over worked and under paid never received a raise all the three years that I worked for this so I left the company because of it.
Pros
off for the summer
Cons
very low pay
Transporting kids, teacher, coaches and parents to and from their destination safely any given day
School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Covington, GADecember 6, 2015
You got to love kids, be open-minded, be firm, very alert to your surrounding at all times and keep it real and add a little fun to it all. I learn a lot from just listening and being open and honest with my input. I had the best trainers that taught me so much physically and mentally about the job. I work with some people that I call friends now. Right now there is no hard part of my job nothing but good parts and the enjoyable part of my job is when my students run to show me their report cards and when the coaches give me a good report and ask for me to do their field trips.
Pros
I get free food sometimes
Cons
I think the pay should be better considering the presious cargo we are responisble for