Nexstar Broadcasting Employee Reviews

fast pace and demanding workplace environment
Production Assistant (Current Employee) –  Roanoke, VADecember 11, 2018
The news never stops, rain, sunshine or hurricane. This means if you must sleep at the news station to get the job done, it is likely you will need to do so. It is also possible that you will have very few people show up because of those same reasons and for their own safety and their loved ones. So it appears there is always an understaffed crew running and trying to get as much done with as little resources. It is a rewarding experience to see a good product in the end, but it is exhausting.
Pros
free lunches from chefs and kitchen guests.
Cons
hours, stress, sleep deprived workers
Employees are Expendable
MMJ (Former Employee) –  IowaOctober 26, 2018
Good luck surviving the news department. It's all about sales and making the CEO and big dogs a ton of money. Reporters barely make minimum wage. So much favoritism. One reporter will come in at one salary and the next with no experience will make $4K more.

Don't work here. Do not. Do not. DO NOT WORK HERE.
Pros
You get to be on TV if that's what you're into
Cons
Management do not care - they're there to make money
Very unorganized with limited job responsibilities
Accounts Receivable Analyst (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 6, 2018
I worked with Nexstar for about a month as a Contractor before I was laid off. They’re definitely over staffed and all over the place. Many of days, I just sat there and stared at my computer screen. Hardest part of my job was trying to decide what I wanted for lunch. Seriously, explore as many options as you can before working there. Unless you’re being hired permanently, please do not take the job. Lastly, the work they have you do is extremely simple and you’ll master your job in a day. You’ll be bored after a few days though. Side note: The accounting department is constantly hiring people, so that should sum things up for you.
Pros
Cool people
Cons
Over staffed with little to no work
Fast Paced and Enjoyable Responsibilties
Production Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rock Island, ILOctober 6, 2018
I learned a great deal immediately due to a great production staff/management who were very knowledgeable and supportive. I operated a camera for live and pre-recorded news broadcasts for both WHBF and FOX 18, which is an intensely detail oriented and fast paced responsibility. To me there was no difficult part of the job, I enjoyed every moment.
Pros
Great Staff/Management, Fun Work Environment
Cons
Very Little Room for Error
Intern
News Intern (Former Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PASeptember 27, 2018
My work was appreciated, but sometimes there was more observation than hands-on work. Some slow days. Got to help and observe in several different areas.
better off dead than working here...for real, dont even waste your time! Live off the goverment
employee (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALSeptember 24, 2018
welcome to high school environment all over again. terrible hours and management. Pay....don't even think about getting real pay. Loyalty.....not even a word that is understood
enjoyable enviroment
Operations Mastercontrol (Former Employee) –  Amarillo, TXSeptember 10, 2018
Good working environment. Enjoyed working with them.
Early start to day 5am was responsible for the day to day operation of a television mastercontrol.
Awesome place
AR CLERK (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXSeptember 10, 2018
This establishment offered a great work environment. Such nice people and staff. Great benefits and good pay for the area. Very enjoyable and friendly.
poor place to work
Traffic Assistant (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MOAugust 31, 2018
not a great a place, management wasn't that great. the building was very old and starting to become run down. the treatment of employees weren't great
Productivity is key
News Photographer (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ARAugust 27, 2018
Working in a newsroom is a fast paced environment where you will experience everything from happy go lucky stories and fatalities. If your not out on the spot shooting your either editing or waiting to be given your next assignment.
Pros
Occasional provided lunches, Provide gear with good engineers to fix things, Fun working environment at times
Cons
Promises are not always kept, It seems as time higher ups don't know what they want and will send mixed signals, Getting an answer is not always straightforward
A Solid Working Experience
Multimedia Journalist (Current Employee) –  Hagerstown, MDAugust 22, 2018
Work day starts at 9:30 with morning meetings.

I pursue my days leads and assignments.

I make my daily calls to sources across my area of coverage.

I shoot, edit and collect my stories over the course of the day.

I turn the stories back at my bureau for 5, 6 and 10 p.m. shows.
Not a bad foot in the door.
News Photographer (Former Employee) –  Johnson City, TNAugust 16, 2018
Pay was lousy and they were so strict on overtime but still wanted you to work over. I learned a ton and worked with some great folks but I think most of the time the individual station makes a difference.
Toxic Work Environment
Senior Account Executive - Media Sales (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNAugust 3, 2018
Nexstar Broadcasting in Memphis was the worst working environment I have ever experienced. There was a lack of institutional control, a lack of mentoring and training, a lack of positive feedback, no loyalty or support from management, and management called out employees and cursed them in large group meetings to belittle them as a scare tactic to get them to be more productive while stabbing each employee in the back at every opportunity. Awful culture, horrible management beginning at the top with the GM and employees who didn't know how to treat each other or clients because of the mistreatment in the workplace.
Pros
Cons
Management, culture, no work life balance, no respect in the workplace
Enjoyable place to work
Graphic Designer (Current Employee) –  Spartanburg, SCJuly 29, 2018
Complete assignment requests for news, sales, sports, and digital.
Cinema 4D, Print, and special digital projects.
Okay.
good workplace culture.
Building show opens.
Creating/designing graphics, and show concepts.
Pros
Can work remotely
Cons
Management isn't always honest.
Friendly environment for a stressful job
Traffic Assistant (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJune 28, 2018
Nexstar was a decent place to work. Nice people, fair management, and a welcoming environment. The work load was a bit higher than I expected as time went on. I received no pay raises in my time regardless of the work that was thrown my way. I would recommend someone for a job there if I thought they could handle it.
Pros
Friendly coworkers, interesting environment
Cons
Stressful work
Know what you're getting yourself into
Videographer Editor (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 5, 2018
Unless you have prior tv experience, I would not recommend this company. You will not be trained in what their expectations are, you will be expected to work overtime - but not get paid for those hours, but rather "bank" those hours to use when it's convenient for the station.
You can be loyal, work hard, work overtime, and still be shown the door the moment they no longer need you.
Pros
Co workers were very cool
Cons
No overtime, no clear direction, no training.
Enjoyed and respected the people I worked with
Staff Accountant (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXMay 21, 2018
If the Business Hub located here had not closed, I would not have left the company. Good place to work. My direct supervisor was exceptional.

Lots of communication and cooperation between all departments.
A good first job, but nothing more
Digital Producer (Former Employee) –  United StatesMay 18, 2018
In short, this was a solid first job out of college. However, I do not see how anyone in the midst of their career or with a family to support could realistically work here.

Days, though quick-paced due to breaking news, were lengthy in terms of hours worked. If you didn't come in early before your shift to help with work, there was little chance of being able to leave right when your shift ended due to the amount of things to cover. Most of the time, I felt like a doctor on-call with my manager saying I needed to be able to come in if someone called out sick. It's my right to have two days off each week, but I felt like if I denied the mandatory OT, then my job security would be in jeopardy.

Coworkers were fun and friendly, but we were understaffed and underpaid. A 16 cent raise after a year of hard work is a slap in the face. You'd make more going back to your old high school summer job.

Finally, there was no room for advancement whatsoever, which was why I left.

Despite the flaws, this is a good job coming out of school. You learn a lot in many aspects of media production and you can say you worked at an ABC, NBC, etc.-affiliated station.

So, get in, learn for a year or two, then move on.
Pros
Interesting work environment, friendly coworkers
Cons
Mandatory OT, low pay, no advancement
Low pay CEO doesn't care about you
Assignment Editor (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMay 9, 2018
Very low paying compared to rest of market area. All answers to questions are "Nexstar won't approve" or we don't have the budget. Staff is great but all very frustrated with Nexstar
Pretty Cool Place To Work
Integrated Digital Specialist (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXApril 30, 2018
I was in sales. Pretty easy if you just show up and do your work. They provide a lot of opportunities and leads. You can pretty much run your own day but you have to produce. There are goals and deadlines.
Workplace was very cool. Hardest part of the job was negotiating the new system for their digital dales platform. They changed/upgraded it very often and the billing was frequently hard to match to the billing. Not a big deal. Best part of it was the schedule and the benefits were above average.
Pros
Schedule and environment
Cons
Matching the billing to the actual sales