Nexstar Broadcasting
50Below average

Nexstar Broadcasting Employee Reviews

United States154 reviews
Inexperienced managers
Favoritism, double set of rules, non private corrections, inexperienced management. Enjoy sales, felt micromanaged. Consistently under pressure to do more. Rarely praised.
Terrible management little training no support
Hired out of school. After 1.5 weeks of training sent to produce 2 AM shows ALONE. Couldn’t work fast enough without compromising quality. After less one month left because of lack of support
Do your homework
Cheap company that just bought a bunch of stations. Treatment of employees is not a huge priority. Expectation of working long hours with zero return. Management at some stations, especially Denver, is horrible. Much better TV companies to work for. Stay away from this one.
bad place
i recommend do not work here i cannot stand this place it does not offer flexible hours or a good place to work, other places are better than here. end
Worst company to ever work for
This is one of the worst places to work for. I have never seen a company so unorganized and shady. I thought it was just the location I worked for but it's like this company wide especially if you're an hourly associate. I never been associated with a company that makes you feel so disconnected from the company. A company where your opinion does not matter. This is the type of company that thinks Corporate is always right. If you're an hourly employee you're are considered to be just a number or FTE /body. The things this company does is ridiculously unethical. It seems like all this company is worried about is getting their corporate bonuses no matter how it affects the regular unimportant employees that makes the sacrifices to make it happen. No support or appreciation from corporate or anything. The pay really sucks. You have to have 2 jobs if you're looking to feed your family and make a honest living. I never received an evaluation of anything since I have been here. I don't have a job description or seen one. I haven't seen any kind of competency or anything. I really do not know what are my responsibilities are at this company. I feel like I'm riding on an airplane without a pilot. We haven't had a employee meeting or anything. How do you operate a company without meeting or getting to know the associates that run your company corporate support? No handbook, No meetings, No associate appreciation, Lowest paid in the company (Facts), Treated as outsiders and no real direction or visions as a company. No wonder it's said we are the worst area in the company. This company - more...
Would you recommend working at your company?
Help people considering your employer make a good choice.
good work but not appropriate pay
Working for nexstar was not bad. The environment was great. Co workers were great. However, it is clear that they care little about employee satisfaction. Pay at this job was no where near the standards for the same positions with other employers.
benefits
Cons
short breaks
A company in search of an identity
Nexstar has tremendous potential, but until the upper management stops making boneheaded decisions like cutting profit-making divisions rather than expanding them, it's not going to be a good place to work. Payroll is a nightmare if you're a manager, with the workflow changing almost weekly.
Benefits
Cons
Job Security
Not really local as they say they are
After our station was purchased this year several departments were let go and jobs moved to other states. They promote being local. Having work done from another state is not very local.
Great staff
Great place to work. Compensation could be better but the steady part time mornings schedule allows you time to have another job. I recommend working at this company
Most difficult aspect of the job
When I was hired I had to learn everything mostly on my own. The direct management was stressed out and under qualified to be leading the team. Make sure when you are hired that they have an account list ready for you.
Working at Nexstar
On a normal day at Nexstar, I enter television commercials ordered by many different advertisers. I work directly with the agencies that purchased airtime and with the new stations that are planning to air the commercials.
Boys Club mentality
They come in, clean house with no regard for employees. Boys club mentality, lack of commication with employees that do the day to day work.
Grant Media was much better.
Down Sized, But Not Bad
The work was steady and kept me busy which I enjoyed.
Over-all the work environment was nice, friendly, and tactful.

Our department was relocated, but I would probably still be working there had it not.
Industry/Business Review
Broadcasting is a fun industry. It was very demanding running 3-TV stations simultaneously, but very fulfilling.
I was proud to say that I worked for KSN/KODE.
Pros
Fun Job
Cons
Stressful at times
Nexstar is the new parent company. Most of my time here has been with Tribune Meda. However the transition has been smooth and seamless. A great balance of professionalism and fun.
Awesome
I’ve learned many things to take through out life and it’s a pleasure to have been with the company. I am wishing I could be with this company and learn as well.
love the people , and the job , but very poor compensation package for sales
I worked for WDVM in Hagerstown MD
for over two years as an account executive .

I like the people that were at the station very much but the station is an independent not affiliated with a network so i found it challenging .

to sell advertising on it .

The compensation plan stared out as a base then changed to a DRAW ON COMMISSION after one year .

I had to sell over 14 K in in business per month just to make the draw.

I was let go because i could not make commissions . They had no book of business to give me as well
Excellent Company
A very rewarding company, with a great management staff, team environment and ability to expand knowledge and advance within. The compensation package coupled with excellent working conditions contributes to the great success of the company.
Outside Sales
First of all, I probably wasn't properly trained to take the position and I think they gave me the benefit of the doubt and hired me. I really thought I had found my spot to retire until I figured out how much extra training I was going to need and I was working like crazy to learn with no help from the management. They were great people, and again, I wasn't prepared for the type of work but, more coaching would have been fantastic and I know that I would still be there.
Good for an introduction to news but not for a career.
If you're fresh out of college, then take a job here. You will get the experience you need to transfer to another station at higher pay. That is really the only good thing about working for this company.

Roughly a dozen members of the news staff have left since the beginning of the year and gone on to higher-paying jobs, some of which are in smaller markets. The majority of those jobs have still yet to be filled, creating more work for the same very low pay for those who remain.

In the almost three years since I started here I, and to my knowledge anyone else, have not seen a single raise. This company pays LESS THAN HALF the national average across all of its newsroom jobs.

Be prepared to be taken advantage of, you will be asked to change your schedule at a moments notice, work mandatory overtime. Some of this just comes naturally from the job, but most of it is due to gross negligence on the part of upper management. You will also be asked to do things that are not in your contact/job description, don't.

This is a decent company to start your career in the news with, what you don't get in compensation you will get in valuable experience. If you're new, I would recommend working here, otherwise, stay away.
Pros
Great for gaining experience in the field, can move around to find what you like
Cons
Very low wages, inconsistant schedule, poor staffing, poor communication from management
N/a
Do not expect to get far there. Management thinks as 'boys club' mentality. If you get on one person's bad side, expect the domino effect with the rest.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Nexstar Broadcasting. Our community is ready to answer.
2.5
InHerSight Score
2.1Personal Development
2.7Career Opportunities
2.4Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight