Next Step Health Care Employee Reviews

Run while you can!
Nurse (Former Employee) –  Watertown, MAJune 12, 2018
Poor management that provides false promises. Orientation included watching endless YouTube videos. They bribe you with gift cards for favors. Picking up unwanted shifts etc. No shift differential / weekend differential. Expected to come early and stay late. If I could give this place a negative one I would. They’ve demoted nurses from full time to per diem for calling out sick one time. Have denied reasonable vacations which in turn caused great nurses to go. Favoritism at its finest. There’s high turnover at this place for a reason. Be smart and seek employment elsewhere .
Pros
Cons
Low pay, no shift differential, no weekend differential, poor management
New transition in September
Director of Admissions and Business Development (Current Employee) –  Salem, MAApril 10, 2018
Next Step Health Care seems to care about its employees. Due to several transitions and too many buildings at one time. The communication should be better in regards to benefits, clear compensation records. The management is compassionate but still getting used to the transition. The culture is not clear, Fear of the unknown, delay in benefits education for the employees. The most enjoyable part of the job is the residents that we work with.
Office politics at a drama house!
Health Information Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Melrose, MAApril 10, 2018
If you want to work at the Elmhurst in Melrose, you do so at your own discretion. The administrative level is not a diverse environment and is a lot more stressful than the job itself. Next step bought the elmhurst and they are more focused on making a profit than quality healthcare. The elmhurst on the other hand’s management team is more focused on who they are friends with picking favorites and turning the place into a political drama house. You will be doing a lot more than medical records. Expect to manage more than one department plus be phone receptionist. No matter how busy you are, you will always have frequent interruptions and have to stop what you are doing to answer calls because other people are too lazy to pick up the phones. You are also going to have to be the one responsible for making appointments and scheduling transportation and contacting families. You won’t have a quiet job. You are front row and centered. Expect to hear rumors and dirt passed around about residents and other co-workers. Expect to work with a very lazy rehab team that only like to gossip than do any real work. Prepare yourself for those aweful morning meetings where you have to share with everybody every single morning what you are going to do for the day and to get called out in front of everybody when something goes wrong. Hope you are excellent at public speaking. Expect to have to be the one to order medical supplies and stock the floors. Even if you come in there and think you can keep to yourself and avoid drama, think again, if they want to drag you down, they will. It’s not a  more... happy office environment to work in. Also be a negotiator because they don’t have raises so what you accept as a Pay salary, is what you will perminatly have. Did I mention the stressful morning meetings? Expect a lot of hypocrites and back stabbers. The floors always smells like feces. Hold your breathe when you are going up the stairs. The people on the administrative team are not very nice. You will need tough, thick skin because you will be talked down to. You won’t have your own office or cubical. You will have to share it. Expect a lot of finger pointed and a lot of participants in the Blame game. If you stick up for yourself, remember it will be considered aggressive behavior. If you find yourself being written up, don’t sign any documents because they will lie and be dishonest about any events and by signing, you are agreeing to their negative terms and unfair advantages. Don’t expect to move up either, there is no room for advancement. Also management is very rude, don’t expect to be recognized for any achievements you may have made or for any help you may have lended. It’s mostly all about who you know and who you were friends with. It won’t matter how hard you work or how persistent you are, this facidity is mostly about politics and drama. Even when patients passed away, some jerk will have the nerve to speak speak evil or make fun of the dead. Also, management is very one sided. They are not fair and only cater to whoever they are friends with.  less
Pros
Flexible hours to a degree, friendly residents
Cons
Drama house, gossip house
Understaffed and underpaid everyday.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Attleboro, MAApril 4, 2018
Constantly working with agency nurses who do not care about the patients. Next Step on Pleasant Street is chaotic everyday because of lack of staffing. The cost of medical benefits is the same as my rent!
Cons
Pay. management.
I loved working there
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fitchburg MassachusettsMarch 31, 2018
I hated to leave my job at next step health care I work there for 20 yearsi don’t call out or take days off I enjoyed my coworkers the residents and their family’s
Pros
I enjoyed the people I work with
Cons
I payed a lot for health care
Excellent culture, friendly colleagues and caring staff
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 20, 2018
The patient always comes first in this small lovely skilled nursing facility. Management treats their staff extremely well and provides a nice work/life balance.
Great Job for a New Grad Nurse
Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Watertown, MAJanuary 29, 2018
Very busy and stressful job but many opportunities to learn independence and learn nursing hand's on skills not really taught in school such as IV placement, time management, importance of quality heath care. High patient to nurse ratios but supportive management and staff. Management was always receptive to suggestions to make the workplace better.
Good Job
DINING SERVICE DIRECTOR (Former Employee) –  MassachusettsJanuary 25, 2018
Good company to work for, flexible and understanding with good care provided to there staff and residents. I enjoyed my time spent working here and gained a lot of experience that i will take with me.
Not a good environment for a nurse .
Nurse (Former Employee) –  Unit nurseJanuary 24, 2018
Found Braemoor to be a poor choice for my career.Very disorganized,poor scheduling,lack of staff to do the job .Met some very nice people,however poorly run by administration and management.If it is to improve there, many things need to change.
Pros
Some nice staff i met
Cons
Too many to count
Worst company to work for.
Dietary Aide (Current Employee) –  Taunton, MAJanuary 9, 2018
It's sad how the residents are been treated. For the company you're just a number. Dietary sucks . The morning crew works very hard and the night crew gets hired and gets more money. The manager Dave very rude and innaproatiate . Leaving soon. Wouldn't advice anybody to work in the kitchen . Kitchen sucks. Lots of work for 11 dollar an hour. They exploring people and blaming it on the union.
Pros
Flexible hours and schedule
Cons
Bad management and low salary for the type of job. Kicthen
poor company to work for
Staff Member (Former Employee) –  MassachusettsDecember 5, 2017
Next Step has taken the humanity out of a business that is all about humans. have replaced it with a healthy bottom line and dollar signs.Staff is treated like cattle that is expected to show up give 150% without the staffing or tools that they need. Continue to take in admissions when they barely have the staff to take care of the ones currently there. Next Step offers no incentives and the only room for growth is in their bank accounts.
Very sad to see things at the low that they are . Next Step needs to get the dollar signs out of there eyes and put the focus back on the patients and their care and well being,
opinion
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MADecember 1, 2017
typical day at work you start off with your assignment its normally a list of patients and you work with a group of people team work is key to a successful day
Pros
learning different things meeting new families
Cons
getting to attached to the patients you work with daily
Next Step Healthcare- Supportive Company with Room For Growth
BOL/Admissions (Current Employee) –  Newton, MADecember 1, 2017
I have worked for both Synergy and Next Step Health and I must say that since Next Step has taken over management from Synergy I have never felt so supported! More so than any company I have worked for in my 11 years as a working professional. It is a company that has room for growth and I know that from personal experience. Next Step Health gives all employees the tools they needs to succeed and I am personally grateful that they have taken over Synergy.
Terrible management company
N/A (Former Employee) –  MassachusettsNovember 30, 2017
A typical day was running around trying to get all the work done on time. I learned that these management companies are only in it to make a hefty profit. They cut staff to a bare minimum so the residents are clearly neglected. When the residents press their call lights they are not answered for a significant amount of time because there is no one available to answer them. However they always make sure to overstaff when the state inspectors are there. Next Step is one of the worst management companies out there.
Pros
Cons
residents not properly cared for, staffing cuts, low morale in every department, too much more to list
New administration=unhappy residents and staff
Nurse Manager (Former Employee) –  Brockton, MANovember 26, 2017
The new management was supposed to improve everything but did minimal to nothing. Old building with many needs and cut to only one maintenance staff. Budget is what is most important to administration.
Pros
Some staff have been there a long time and are devoted to the residents
Cons
Different day different answer from administration--little support
This company expects 25hrs/8 days work from staff
Nursing Supervisor (Former Employee) –  South Shore, MassachusettsNovember 26, 2017
Very demanding environment with ever decreasing amounts of staff to"meet the budget" little attention paid to acuity of care for residents except at billing time. Regional nurses spread too thin to provide assistance as they wanted. Would rather replace staff than increase their knowledge and create the excellence they claim to want for all facilities. Mostly function in crisis management mode without immediately available policies and procedures in place. Morale very difficult to maintain due to fluctuation in the mood and treatment by administration playing favorites.
Pros
Close to local hospital, some staff very devoted to residents
Cons
You are just a body to the Next Step Management.
The Landing at Cape Elizabeth has a great reputation!
Employee (Current Employee) –  Cape Elizabeth, MENovember 25, 2017
The Landing at Cape Elizabeth, previously called Kindred Living at Village Crossings, has been a high quality assisted living residence for many years. They went through a transition to NextStep Healthcare, and they kept the same dedicated employees and same high standards of care. We have a great reputation here in Maine! The residents are treated like family, and we as staff work together to make our time there as good as it can get. I would be confident about having parent there if it was an option. I go to work feeling a positive attitude about the day ahead and leave content with my job. It's a good place to work, with good people.
Pros
Supportive team of staff, Free lunches, Pto, holiday pay, flexibility with hours, beautiful setting, shift differentials
A busy place to work
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Amesbury, MA 01913November 21, 2017
From a nursing perspective, a typical day at work is very busy as one nurse will care for, at the most, 27 residents, performing assessments, passing medications, doing treatments, transcribing MD orders. The nurse is also responsible for overseeing the work done by the CNA's, making sure that the ADL's are done in a timely fashion. The nurse is also responsible for monthly summaries and pharmacy edits. I learned that Time management is crucial. If the day seems a little to hectic, management is very quick to lend a helping hand. The most enjoyable part of the job are the resident's. I love each and every one of them as they were my own family.
Pros
free CEU's, Employee of the month program, employee cookouts and breakfast club.
Cons
working short staffed, company does not pay into 401k, employees are under payed.
Growing company, focused on patient care
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 16, 2017
Great company, which is expanding in the New England area.The management team is focused on bringing in top talent to ensure patients receive top notch care. Compassionate. Focused. Positive work environment.
Very fun place to work
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brockton, MANovember 9, 2017
I love the staff members at Braemoor Health Center They are very understanding and very nice to work with. It was one of the best place I had to work.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Next Step Health Care. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9