NextEra Energy

NextEra Energy insights

What people like
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Ability to learn new things
Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Overall satisfaction

Okay but not great

Good company overall. Competitive salary and great benefits. Work life balance is lacking as well as flexibility in regard to work schedule. Culture is okay.

Wind turbine technician

Great work life balance . Enjoyed the pto and the benefits . My manager was flexible with me with the schedule . If you want to have a work/life balance I recommend NextEra.

Management needs to be more transparent.

Management is not clear on direction. If they say they want more and you jump 6 feet but get upset because they only want 5 feet. Constant change and if you are not lucky to be in the loop it is frustrating. Some departments are better than others. Most departments work in a silo. Many managers are in need of training with regard to HR matters.

Pros

Nice campus, good benefits

Cons

Lack of management transparency

No advancement

Favoritism to certain people. Only promote certain people if you know what I mean. There is no potential for growth. They expect you to work off hrs without compensation. Most management is terrible and not qualified to do and no tools are supposed to you to be effective. Stay away better jobs out there.

Pros

Cons

Management sucks

Stress

Very little time off despite very long hours. Very rigid super company so a lot of big asks but still stick to the corporate structured allowance for time off.

Do you enjoy working at your company?

Every work experience is unique. Tell us about yours. Rate your employer.

Ok Job if just starting in the Energy Business-No Family Life-Extremely high Stress

FPL or NextEra is a decent company but not all departments are equal. FPL-NextEra takes advantage of people just wanting to live in Beautiful Florida and realize they have ample opportunity in obtaining new hires . This company is operated more like a corporation rather than a typical power plant operation. The bottom dollar is more important the employee’s well being. The employees in the planning department (exempt -non barging unit) had an average work load of 1.5- 2 people. The average planner was expected to work their salary paid jobs on 50-65Hrs work week just to keep up with their deliverables. Work balance is not existent. Expect to work some weekends & holidays for free. There is no tenure in this dept. due to the high work load with no pay for overtime even though there is an OT policy that they chose not to implement. The problem is the really not concerned about taking care of their employees & just figure they will eventually be able to obtain people due to the great location of Sunny Florida. The pay is lower than the average going rate, health benefits are ok but have the high deductible, year bonus incentives are good but the managers will do everything in their power not to pay out as promised, Flexibility is really good. I would not recommend this position to no one unless you enjoy working 10-12 hr. days and 4-6 hours on Sat just to keep up with your responsibilities. Unfortunately, the company is worried more about the value of their stock than valuing their employees. The union positions and execution departments are well taken care of. They actually get -

Pros

Company is in a beautiful location-Fitness Center @ work. Some flexibility

Cons

55-65 work weeks, Non-existent work balance, Sneaky managers

An Inclusive Community

The environment at this workplace is amazing, everyone is caring and supportive. Management always has your best interest in mind, and you can rest assured your goals will be met with both support and praise upon accomplishment. Safety-centered culture, good health benefits. They also take care of you during storm season when you're expected to work extra. This company cares for its employees and its customers

Pros

Benefits, culture, diversity, training

Cons

Not remote

Extremely professional

95% of employees, including leadership, are professional and ethical. Very refreshing to work with individuals who care about their job and are willing to go the extra mile.

Pros

Good pay, career path options and flexibility.

Cons

OT hours required on a salary.

This company pays well and has good equipment but the family feeling is gone

The company is changing from how they can help you to do the job better. To if you do not do better you could be punished. This is not the same company were you were treaded like family. Now it is punishment based.

Pros

Good benefits 401k matched

Cons

A lot of hours away from family

If you are capable of ignoring management then this is an OK place to work

If you can go to work, keep your head down and ignore the politics and the management then this is not a horrible place to work. There is no work/life balance at all. Especially if you want to go non bargaining. Management has no concept of what managers/supervisors are supposed to be doing. The highest level managers seem to want to drink coffee and talk leaving the Supervisors their workload, leaving the workers to manage themselves. Not a model for success in mind. As my career droned on and as people left the company they were seldom replaced and on the rare occasion a replacement was found and hired they too often left shortly after being hired. Leaving ample opportunity for someone to be forced for overtime that a lot of folks had little interest in working. The pay is OK. It's not a bad pay check compared to other jobs in the area but it's about 60 percent of what the rest of the industry is paid when cost of living is factored in. Hence the reason most qualified new hires left shortly after hiring on. I don't know if the benefits have improved since I left. When I hired on they were Outstanding. Before I left benefits had slowly been whittled down to sub par at best. When I worked there they had some of the best people on planet earth. If this company could find managers that had a clue, they could do amazing things. I still consider myself very fortunate to have gotten to meet and work with the people that I did during my employment. I keep in touch with some of the folks that still work there and it does not sound like that has changed much. The workers are -

Pros

Fantastic emplyoees!

Cons

Horrible Management.

Committed to excellence

Good strong company to work for with a strong safety culture. Willing to address any safety issues. Work Life/Balance can be a challenge but excellent pay and benefits.

Pros

Pay

Cons

Work/Life balance

Your compensations are great

You will be expected to work many hours in Power Generation Department and every job is like putting out fires. It is very stressful, you do not stop. Your asks are more than you can perform. You never feel like you have accomplished anything at the day's end because of meetings and events that constantly take place.

Pros

Good Salary

Cons

No work-life-balance

Compensation is good but leadership does not listen or act to address employees suggestions/recommendations.

CONS: Lesdership does not have the employee's health and safety as a top priority, will state they do but act otherwise. Delivery dates for products are arbitrarily set with no contingencies put in place for unexpected delays. Retaliation is received for criticizing any policy despite company assurances otherwise.Enployees are not valued in the right ways, They ultimately have zero voice when it comes to capital development projects or other developmental ideas that are proven in other industries and companies. Corporate is structured to prevent aquistion of needed tools in order to perform work tasks in a timely manner, Upper managers hire managers with no experience with what they are managing, IT cybersecurity measures are exorbitant and stifle progress. New needed software takes almost a year to acquire through unnecessary processes. Employees are not empowered enough to perform what they need to do.

Pros

Free lunches, good compensation

Generation and distribution of electricity is a 24/7 business.

Good company to work for with good benefits. Some business units require working long hours in inclement weather. Days, nights, weekends and holidays.

Pros

Good compensation.

Cons

You may spend more time with co-workers than you own family.

Great company, poor management.

Overall I Enjoyed the time I spent at Nextera Energy, They are a typical corporation thus they handle things in accordance with procedure. The benefits were excellent, management was mostly clueless and only focused on fighting fires instead of getting to the root of the problem. Management seem very concerned with their employees completion of company training literature. It's almost like a religion 'YOU MUST complete the 'Ladder training course by Wednesday !' despite me not ever using a latter in my job role. The whole training flowchart seems very very disorganized.

Pros

Overtime, competetive pay, worklife balance

Cons

managment, comapany required training.

Terrible work/life balance. Great money.

You will be more than fairly compensated but there will be plenty of times where you will work unpaid overtime if you're salary. If you're hourly you will be subject to mandatory overtime but will be very well compensated. Every 18 months there will be a month long outage where you will typically work 12 hour shifts for 4-6 days at a time. Advancement can be difficult if you're not labelled as a "high potential" and even so life as a manager is very difficult and high stress.

Pros

Ample Compensation

Cons

Work/life balance

Poor management

Very poor supervision. Management only looks out for themselves and have very large over inflated egos. Benefits are lack luster. Very much a good old boy system in place.

Certain perks

They had a lot of options for time off without loosing hours. Was able to get time off at the last minute without it affecting their business or your reputation.The last 2 to 3 years they we’re streamlining customer service by combining departments, so we did two or 3 jobs with no increase. Unrealistic expectations. They lost site of what it takes to give good customer service.

Pros

Flexible schedule, plenty of opportunity for overtime, supplied all meals during storm schedules, paid OT after 8hrs daily

Cons

Short brakes, more and more automated to make our jobs easier did not working

Great job at first.

Worked there for 3 years traveling 100% of the time. My direct crew I worked with was great. The other business units we worked with didn’t really understand what we were there for. All in all it was great day today except the location scheduling. Spending winter in North Dakota than summers in west Texas just didn’t make sense. After all the great work we did the higher ups in Florida decided for some reason we weren’t needed any more and laid off the whole GRS crane division and that was that. I tried to stay with the company after moving back to Florida and I didn’t get any help from the internal HR department. So basically job was good but the company as a whole will lay you off in a heart beat if a accountant that has never been in the field thinks the numbers make sense.

Pros

Travel and benefits

Cons

Job security.

Stay away.

Fanatical corporate company. Every single move you make will be tracked. Site leaders and managers are only considered as such once they have recieved "company leadership courses." For example, a lot of employees talk about how quickly you can promote if you simply complete the company required training, this obviously creates an environment run completely be "computer trained leaders," major problem #1.People with real world experience that should be promoted based off of skill and track record alone will be devalued and undermined unless they're willing to drink their kool-aid. Highly unskilled/immature leaders from project management down to site leads. Pay scale is not the best by any means and benefits arent anything to write home about.Zero freedom to think for yourself. Try it and find out.

Cons

It's drudgery with no end with mindless people..

You are paid a moderate compensation with promises in the beginning of compensatory time off and bonuses; however when other people break the rules, your ''bonus'' is affected because of your ''team'' falling short . And since people see how poorly you are treated for as hard as you work, they refuse to steal up or they simply quit.

Pros

Comp time

Cons

They never allow you to take the cpmp time and offer you the gate instead.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at NextEra Energy. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Diversity score

out of 100
Comparably
Diversity Score
Top 5%
In the Top 5% of similar size companies
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at NextEra Energy.
Powered byComparably