NIC Employee Reviews

Horrible Management
Staff (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 25, 2017
Not only does this company comically under-compensate, but it also has the worst group of executives/directors/managers I have ever come across. Unprofessional, severe lack of any form of leadership skills, no communication, and general catty behavior runs rampant here. Steer clear of this company at all cost!
Pros
Cons
Horrible Leadership; Low Pay
NIC Does Wellness Well!
Project Specialist (Current Employee) –  Olathe, KSMarch 16, 2017
I have been sharing my work experience with friends and family and they keep saying, “I want to work there!” “Do they have any openings?” There are more than a few reasons they are envious. Let’s start with my work environment, it is super awesome, modern furnishings, great work spaces, awesome break room, free food and drink, ping pong, pool, a game table that is occupied every day with some serious gamers and even a new golf simulator. Our building is all glass and it resides in the woods, so I feel like I work in a treehouse. The landscaping is beautiful, there is a pond a few steps out the back door and seating to hang out and daydream, imagine, or collaborate with your peeps.
I have medical and dental benefits that are paid for 100%. That benefit adds about 20K to my total compensation. I have a 401(K) that is matched 50% up to 10%. I have a membership to a first class gym near work and I pay less than the price of dinner for my monthly membership. I have wellness initiatives that are available to stay challenged. All of this because the culture here at NIC is to be well. If you are well, you will be more effective at your job. I get that.

The culture here is unique. We all have our distinctive skills that we bring in each day and we are able to use them to make a true impact. There is no micro-managing, there is challenge and innovation, and collaboration. There are no reports due that are never read and the parking lot is a ghost town by 5:30. Why, because this commitment to work-life balance is considered – wellness!

80% of my decision to take a job is about the
  more... employees. After all, you are stuck with these people 8 hours a day, right? My work group is very talented, hard-working and they are a cohesive team that can also play together when it is time.

Social justice is also very important to me and the culture at NIC is to set aside time to make the lives of others better. There are several opportunities to engage in those types of activities and a huge variety available.

Paid time off is not split into sick and vacation; so, those that are well, have more time to refuel! Do you see a thread here?
Pros
Benefits, Work Life Balance, Culture, Social Justice, Free Food
Good Benefits Poor Leadership
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Annapolis, MDJanuary 16, 2017
Depending on your project your day may not be consistent.
Dealing with customer support issues are constant due to lack of good development
Co-workers were great
Leadership is horrible
Benefits
Cons
Leadership
Tons of Pros if you can deal with a few Cons
Service Desk Analyst (Former Employee) –  Olathe, KSNovember 21, 2016
NIC has a lot of great benefits such as great hours, great coworkers, and great compensation. NIC does lack in a few areas such as long hours with no notification. There is little on job training. The biggest flaw at NIC is the lack of communication among the departments and teams which often cause unneeded tension and stress.
Pros
Great coworkers, great hours, great schedule
Cons
Bad Training, Immature Company, Long Hours, Not very gracious
Every day is different and challenging
Senior Business Analyst / Project Manager / CIO (Current Employee) –  Glen Ellyn ILFebruary 24, 2015
Great company to work for. Clients are mostly small companies and appreciate our expertise and guidance.

We are a small company so everyone has their hand in everything from development to phone support.
Great Company
Network Engineer II (Current Employee) –  Olathe, KSJanuary 21, 2015
NIC is a great company to work for. They treat there employees like family.
Nic
Implementing QA (Former Employee) –  byron illinoisAugust 1, 2013
NIC pays well treats employees well and supports them with issues as needed
Pros
area
Cons
area
Fun outings, parties and donuts
Web Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  Virginia Interactive, LLC, Richmond, VAJune 5, 2013
Internship was different day-to-day. Learned to stay out of the way - that not all creative people want to share what they do and that a change of your supervisor can change your job without compensation. I started out as a web/graphic design intern, part time and ended as full time, hourly, office assistant;after the office assist. quit. The hardest part was keeping a good attitude and staying on until contract ended with Virginia.gov and NIC. The best part was delivering graphic designs for various Commonwealth of Virginia government agencies, referred to as partners (partners include the Town of Stephens City, Virginia Office of Early Childhood Development, Norfolk State University, Virginia Tourism, and the Virginia Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services), and perform accessibility and usability testing.
CWI / QA QC / Level II Field Technician
CWI / QA QC / Level II Field Technician (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLFebruary 12, 2013
Preformed VT, MT, PT and Mechanical inspections on Tennessee Valley Authority projects in accordance to AWS D1.1, D1.5 and ASME B31.1