Nicor Gas Employee Reviews

Great
Customer Service Rep (Current Employee) –  Naperville, ILMarch 17, 2018
Nicor is an excellent place to work. They educate you on your benefits, provide weekends off, and is flexible with expecting families. Its a company that cares about their employees. Open positions in different departments. Only downside is that the morning hours are mainly given to seniority.
Pros
Lunch room, exercise room, and comfortable work space.
Cons
Seniority
Nicor was Family to me...
Construction Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Naperville, ILFebruary 8, 2018
Nicor was family to me, this is where I started my career in the Utility's, I have many great memories from working there and gained many great friends along the way, Nicor remains one of the best gas utility"s in the Country and is an Excellent Career choice!
good company
Rockford, IL, Asset Protection Specialist (Former Employee) –  Naperville, ILDecember 18, 2017
been sold now for the second time not sure how that will all work out for the employees , There will be a culture change and only time will tell if good or bad
Great work environment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Naperville, ILOctober 26, 2017
Love this employer!! Great moral and emotional support. I would recommend to anyone looking for a new employment opportunity. Very clean and inviting work environment.
Pros
Great pay, great schedule
Cons
strict schedule adherence rules
productive, learning, beneficial and fast paced
Call Center Representative (Current Employee) –  Naperville, ILSeptember 30, 2017
I love working for Nicor Gas. Its a very fast paced work environment in which is what I prefer. Nicor has taught me calmness and how to be humble. Each member of management that I have come into contact with shows a great sense of wanting their team to overcome all obstacles. Nicor has a very diverse culture in which is great being that I love learning things from different races and the vibe they provide. The benefits that are offered are outstanding compared to any other job I have had.
Verbally beaten up daily
CUSTOMER CARE SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Naperville, ILJuly 28, 2017
If you're ok with getting verbally beaten up and sometimes physically threatened while knowing the company will not back any sort of retaliation than this is the place for you.
Gas Supplier
Fleet Management (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 18, 2017
Company supplies Natural Gas to large customer base, maintained, installed and repaired gas lines and equipment. Culture changes after 2 acquisitions / mergers.
Pros
Good Local Team
Cons
Layoffs resulting from Mergers
Truly a great place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Naperville, ILJuly 9, 2017
My experience has been nothing but great here. They treat you like an adult with respect as long as you show up do your work you will be happy here. Great pay, benefits and a wonderful gym to get out any work stress off of your mind. We have a beautiful walk path outside and an indoor one for the colder days. The only reason I left was due to my husband's job he was relocated out of state. Otherwise I would have retired here.
ok
Corrosion Technician I (Current Employee) –  IllinoisJuly 5, 2017
As a trusted member of the business community, Nicor Gas has been delivering safe, reliable natural gas service to Illinois customers since 1954. Nicor Gas is proud to offer career opportunities to more than 2,000 talented and dedicated employees in a variety of technical, administrative and professional fields.

We value employees with fresh ideas, tenacity and the drive to advance. We encourage a strong work/life balance and are committed to investing time and resources to help our employees meet their career goals while promoting our corporate values of integrity, dignity, honesty and respect.
Challenging and ever-changing enviroment
Manager (Current Employee) –  Naperville, ILJune 5, 2017
Recent mergers have resulted in culture shifts. Opportunities for advancement seem limited at this time. Increased workloads have limited time to focus on tasks such as process improvement, personal development and knowledge, and data quality.
Great co-workers and ManageIment
DIMP Analyst II (Current Employee) –  Naperville, ILMay 31, 2017
There are great co-workers and Management at Nicor Gas, a Southern Company Gas company. People are genuinely interested in you and your life. Wonderful place to have a career.
Great compay
Assist past due customers (Current Employee) –  Naperville, ILApril 26, 2017
Answers calls for gas customers day to day. Provide assistance with payment plans if needed. Hardest part of job is knowing the customer is not eligible for any of our assistance and allowing gas to be discontinued.
Customer Service/Billing Rep (Former Employee) –  Naperville, ILApril 22, 2017
Great place to work, opportunities for advancement in various departments and locations. Reasonable benefits for individuals or families. Convenient location.
Great for many years.
SR CORROSION TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Joliet, ILMarch 29, 2017
My work day starts from home, as I have a take home vehicle which allows me to get more done in a day. I report directly to my work site and begin. I am in contact with peers and management throughout the day and may be relocated at anytime to any Nicor location.
I have learned no one has all the answers and that teamwork is advantageous. I learned to enjoy my work day and still get everything done. I take safety very seriously and think ahead to prevent injury. Being very mechanically inclined, I try to be observant to prevent breakdowns.
Management was approachable and would listen, though change may take a while. New management after the buy out overturned that. They don't respond to veteran employees and make changes for the sake of making it their way, not for the better.
The culture also changed from positive to negative to a point many employees are constantly afraid for their jobs.
Probably the hardest part of my job is running into something I cannot resolve on my own. Luckily, our group is always good at helping each other and usually a phone call resolves the issue.
The most enjoyable part is driving to different locations outside and successfully completing tasks. I also enjoy interacting with peers and being there for them when needed. I take pride in my work having been raised to work "old school".
Pros
The other employees.
Cons
New management is lacking.
Expect changes and inconsistency
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Normal, ILMarch 23, 2017
This is an incoming call center environment. As you would expect calls are recorded, timed and meticulously reviewed for "quality" purposes. After taking constant calls (non stop) it gets taxing. Normal work day is 8-10 hours. All breaks and lunches are scheduled. Overall decent pay but little room to advance unless you can relocate. Management is also challenging.
Mediocre pay with incredible stability
Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Naperville, ILMarch 2, 2017
Although I left in 2008, the typical day is easy. The work environment is casual, but you likely can't wear jeans. Some of the technology is top-notch but it's been implemented clumsily. The hardest part of the job was selling ideas to management. The most enjoyable was the friendly people to work with.
Pros
incredible stability
Cons
pay was mediocre unless you were a chosen employee who got promoted a lot
Job Eliminated
Administrative Clerk (Former Employee) –  Naperville, ILFebruary 21, 2017
The job was eliminated when Nicor Gas was bought by AGL Resources because position was no longer needed. The job originally consisted of creating invoices for damages done to gas pipelines.
Fast paced and demanding call center.
Customer Care Specialist/Billing (Former Employee) –  Naperville, ILJanuary 29, 2017
A very demanding and fast pace call center. Never a dull moment. With mandatory over time every Monday and Tuesday its hard to get a 3 day weekend. Overtime is scheduled when its not necessary, and you sit and wait in between calls. One QA supervisor will tell you something very different from the next. Scheduling a vacation is hard when there is very seldom to get a Monday and Friday off! They do say its on a 1st come 1st service basis. They Quality Team should be on the same page. Management team does leave something to be desired. Probation is 120 days!
Pros
Pay is very good After probation
Cons
There is mandatory OT every Monday & Tuesday sometime not necessary.
very close quarters
CUSTOMER SERVICE (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, ILDecember 10, 2016
A very rule oriented and secure job to work at. It very fast paced and stressfull. There is no room for upward promotion. You will not be able to help everyone everyday.
Secure and safe workplace
Worker (Current Employee) –  ILDecember 2, 2016
The safety culture at the utility is strong and getting stronger. Recently purchased by Southern Company there is many opportunities to advance if one is willing to relocate especially