Nihon Kohden America Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Not a Great Place to Work.
Inventory Control Manager (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAMay 31, 2018
CEO has his own agenda with Sales growth, but does not consider the organization structure required to support the growth effort. Many valuable employees are leaving the Operations department due to lack of compensation, appreciation, and potential for advancement.
Challenging Workplace with limited support from leadership
Regional Vice President, Sales (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAMay 8, 2018
Too many silos operating independently. Senior leadership does not empower the workforce. Lack of integrity and failure to adhere to structured policy.
Pros
Lacks rules
Cons
Lacks rules
A Rare Opportunity to Join a Growing Company
Clinical Consultant, US and Canada (Former Employee) –  US and CanadaApril 9, 2018
Great Product, Great Sales Leadership, and Brilliant R&D.
Huge year over year growth.
A unique business model that positions the product will against the established brands like Philips and GE.
Pros
Fun and challeging.
Cons
Is being busy a con?
Great People - Ineffective Management and Poor Corporate Vision
Sr. Systems Support Engineer (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAOctober 15, 2017
My peers are some of the hardest working and most supportive people I have ever been able to work with.

Unfortunately, management is oblivious to their role in waste, poor communications, and lack of market awareness. Middle management makes a practice of distorting and twisting statements from Leadership to fit their personal agendas, and filter out any critiques from those in the trenches. Their business model is 30 years old, lacks relevance in today's market and the product lines are becoming obsolete with the rapid transformation of healthcare.
Pros
People
Cons
Lack of accountability in project management, business management, and senior leadership
Typical day
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 15, 2017
Typical day starts off before 6AM with a territory targeting plan. sales calls, cold calls and customer calls. After territory activity - prospecting and follow ups.
Pros
Selling a best in class solution
Meh
Clinical Application Specialist (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAFebruary 3, 2017
There is still a lot of autonomy in my role with NK which I like, but there is also a lot of travel required. When they say 80% travel, they aren't kidding. Before taking this job, you need to be prepared for what that means. It is not fun travel it is work travel. Many people don't understand the difference.

Management is slow to learn. Most decisions are made from the top down despite clamoring from below when errors are found. That can be very frustrating.

The hardest part of my job is getting clients on the phone to set up education.

The most enjoyable part of my job is actually getting to see my team mates when we are working on an account together and the occasional down time in unique places. Ever been to Duluth, MN? I have.
Pros
paid travel
Cons
lots of time away from family and friend and days that can be 2 hours or 18 hours.
Japanese Company using Japanese rules.
Field Service Engineer (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaJanuary 14, 2017
Not to bad a place but I am bias due to a micro managing boss. Japanese culture tends to dominate how they run the organizatin which differs from how things are done here in the US.
Pros
Field Employee
Cons
Boss and parts are all in Japan
Growing company, but low moral within staff members.
Patient Monitoring Technical Support (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CASeptember 6, 2016
Initially felt like a good company to work for.

Overall has a laid back environment and company is growing.

However, everything is about upper management and they take care of their own
If you want to work there or get a promotion, you better be friends with someone in the upper management.

Some department managers bring in their colleagues and give them positions that they are not qualified for.

Also departments are isolated. Meaning, one department doesn't really know what the other does.

Over time, qualified individuals have been let go and replaced by lesser qualified personnel mainly to lower salary.

Example: Support department has non-qualified manager and some staff. Very few knowledgeable senior staff remaining.

The best part is the company provides support to hospitals with live patients using their devices and are hiring less qualified individuals as they don't want to pay to provide the world class support as they state.
They seem to pay more to sales people, as their only goal seems to be to sell more and hence the focus is money.
Fast Paced Company attempting to grow
Capital Equipment Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAFebruary 23, 2016
This is a "mom and pop" type medical manufacturing company competing with giants in the industry such as GE and Phillips. We have a history of growth every year that I have been there. Our head count is growing exponentially, however it seams like there are more chiefs than Indians these days. Most departments are running on a skeleton crew, and yet we continue to hire VPs and Directors. In my particular department, we have some of the smartest, hard working and most tenured employees, myself included. My direct supervisor and director are model employees that motivate me and drive me to be the hard worker that I am. My director came from the accounting department when we realigned positions as a company and created my current department, Business Intelligence. I am teaching him our business while he constantly teaches me the "business" of our business. The challenges he provides on a daily basis, along with the knowledge he teaches me daily are what keep me coming back day in and day out.
Fun, warm environment with great employees
Electronics Technician (Former Employee) –  Foothill Ranch, CAMay 24, 2012
Fellow employees were great and fun to work with. It made it seem like it wasn't just a job but fun and interesting. Also loved how troubleshooting, repairing, and doing prep on the products made me feel good by helping patience in hospitals.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
managers are not open and honest
World leader in medical devices
Inside Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Foothill Ranch, CAJanuary 4, 2012
Nihon Kohden is a world leader in patient vital signs monitoring and neuro diagnostic devices. Great equipment, great people, and a dynamic industry. I loved working for Nihon Kohden and it instilled in me a passion for working with hospitals, doctors and patients.
Pros
job satisfaction.
Cons
mid-range salaries.