NiSource Employee Reviews

Fast paced work, lots of OT opportunities, great people to work with.
Senior GIS Engineering Technician (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MANovember 14, 2018
My manager at this position was fantastic. He cares about advancing his employees through the company and takes pride in his employees wowing the higher ups. If the pay wasn't so much greater with my promotion, I would have been happy doing this work for many more years to come. If I had the chance to go back to this company location/department for the pay I'm making now, I would in a heartbeat.
Fun, progressive thinking company
Billing Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHOctober 3, 2018
The company views their employees the same as their customers. They value them and understand life happens no matter who you are. There are plenty of development and advancement opportunities if you wish to pursue them. Tons of volunteer work available.
Pros
Development Opportunities
Cons
N/a
If you have the right manager it's a great place to work
Financial Systems Analyst III (Former Employee) –  Merrillville, INOctober 3, 2018
NiSource is both a great place to work and a horrible place. If you have a manager that you can work with it's beyond wonderful. If your manager is a jerk, and there are a lot of those, good luck. And since the management turns over a fair amount you are going to experience both. If you are at corp HQ in Indiana its a right to work state and you can get a HUGE bonus one day and be gone a week later because you got a new manager who doesn't like your style. I worked with groups who were collaborative and shared everything that got a new manager and suddenly it was heads down and mouth shut, do your work and go home. Then he retired and it was back to collaboration.
Most line level employees stay there forever because its the best place to work in the area as far as pay and bennies are concerned. And MOST of the time its a great place to work.
If you are a management level employee it's a going to me a challenge. Good luck. Enjoy your time there and the learning experience... then move on before your ulcer gets too bad.
Pros
Massive, really massive bonuses! Great bennies. Descent pay rates.
Cons
Inconsistant corporate culture
Lack of Growth
Meter To Cash (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHSeptember 17, 2018
Not a lot of room for growth. Seems when jobs are posted the hiring manager already knows who will fill the position. If you are not good at behavior questions you will not get a promotion.
Friendly work culture
Budget Manager (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VASeptember 2, 2018
I spent over 20 years working here. Culture was friendly, open, and collaborative. They are currently downsizing and morale is currently down. Management tends to be unstable and is reorganizes constantly.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
lack of mobility
Meh
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Smithfield, PAAugust 17, 2018
Management is sporadic. Some team leaders are fantastic while others have a horrible attitude and don't care if you succeed at all. If placed with a great leader, the mundane aspects of answering phones all day is tolerable. If not, run!
Pros
Benefits and PTO
Cons
Moving to a collaborative work environment
Manager (Current Employee) –  Merrillville, INAugust 1, 2018
Most employees are driven to perform at a high level. People are friendly and dependable and management is focused on inclusion. Opinions are generally valued.
Pros
In house exercise equipment and programs
NiSource Review
HR Assistant (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJuly 31, 2018
Too many Chiefs and not enough Indians. Management was either in meetings constantly or were walking around.
Work load was too much. Generally only had two employees in our specific group. Too many people doing minimal work while others were in overload.
Also management were only concerned with the employees who had relatives who worked there.
Too much time was spent in meetings. They must have a monthly quota with meetings. They were a total waste of time.
There wasn't any fairness.
Just make sure you watch your back and constantly take daily notes.
benefits
Cons
Poor management
Worst working condition. They remove good working IBM to some third party
Senior PowerBuilder Lead Developer (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJuly 19, 2018
Hectic company, no work life balance. Good working IBM people & given contract to a third party, they mess up whole project. No documentation. All small age people without any experience came as managers. Often ask what is Unix, Source Control. The managers don't know what is app server. They hire for one & ask to work in multiple areas. No work life balance. They call in the mid-night & ask to finish some unimportant works. If we don't pickup, they SMS at midnight, next morning ask why didn't you finish. I never worked in a hectic environment in my life.
Pros
Cons
No work life balance, no work ethics, ask work like no tomorrow, try to drag people to sit in office even in noghts. No documentation, all adhoc coding.
Good career company cares about employees
Senior Real time Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJuly 10, 2018
Can be chaotic. People are friendly enjoyable place to work. Training is abundant. Management listens for the most part. Good place to work still holds some of the old school utility mentality
Good Place to Work - Unknown Job Security
Lead Financial Analyst, Business Decision Support (Current Employee) –  Merrillville, INJune 22, 2018
I enjoy the work I do at NiSource and the teams I have worked with very much however, being that the company is split between Merrillville and Columbus this has caused a fear of job security. We also have had a lot of change in management. As such, we have gone through an org change at least once a year since I started at the company. More and more jobs keep moving to Ohio.
Great Career Opportunities
Various Financial Positions over a 28+ Year Career (Former Employee) –  Reston, VAJune 13, 2018
Wonderful place to work. Only left because the company moved out of the area. Provided great working conditions and room for advancement. It was a great career path and I would recommend it anyone looking for a career.
They don’t care about their employees
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Smithfield, PAMay 27, 2018
They make it seem like it’s this great place to work. It’s not. The Human Resources of Innosource (where you start out) does not care about its employees at all. We’re all just faces mindlessly answering phone calls to them.. not people. You’d think the worst part about the job would be getting sworn at all day and dealing with unhappy people on the phones but it’s actually the fact that you’re constantly being watched and micro managed. They even time you when you go to the bathroom?! There’s no flexibility within scheduling and they basically just make up reasons to fire you so you don’t transition to nisource. They scam you into getting on their below average health care plans. I feel like people living in Fayette County are taken advantage of working here because they offer $14.50/hr and that’s unfortunately a “higher” wage around the area. I would not recommend working here.
Decent place to work
Payroll Administrative Assistant (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMay 14, 2018
Decent place to work. The pay is phenomenal. They include their contract employees in outside group activities. If they like you, they like you. Nice place to work. Very smart group of individuals.
Pros
The pay is phenomenal
Cons
Not enough to rate
No review
Network and Telecomm Engineer (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMay 9, 2018
Management has since changed since I was last there and I’m unable to give an accurate description of what the day to day office culture is. I no longer keep in touch with anyone there.
Poor Mgmt
Consultant (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMay 2, 2018
Management was very involved and did not seem to trust team members. Workers are not appreciated and feel that they are replaceable. The overall culture was negative..
Productive Workplace Environment
Performance Specialist (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMay 2, 2018
Consistently challenged to meet business deliverables via technical support, creating and implementing communication strategies, and developing reports. Frequent cross-functional team member collaboration and interaction.
Pros
Creative Space
Cons
Poor Communication
Work
Information Security Architect (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHApril 23, 2018
Great place to work - I have no regrets - Had to relocate to florida so I don't have much to say about the job but really like working for the company. Great people culture and vision.
Pros
great place to work
Cons
Sr. Human Resources Consultant (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MAApril 19, 2018
NiSource is people oriented from the top down. Safety of the employees and the public is a number one priority as well as serving the customer to the fullest of our ability. Most managers do a good job and believe in developing their people.
Pros
Great benefits, great work atmosphere
Cons
Outdated technology
Good job busy fast paced
Customer Care Representative (Former Employee) –  Smithfield, PAApril 10, 2018
The typical day was back to back calls. resolve issues, explain bills, provide information to customer in regards to the help available, no day was the same as far as the calls were concerned. placed orders, requested adjustments if needed.

Learned to many, many things and always learning new procedures and how to deal with all sorts of customers.

Management was exceptional considering how large the company is.

Workplace culture was friendly and respectful.

Hardest part of the job was getting screamed at by customer.

Most enjoyable part was being able to assist customers and help them if there was any possible way, was rewarding.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at NiSource. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.6InHerSight Score

3.4Personal Development

3.6Career Opportunities

3.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight