NJ TRANSIT
Coronavirus update
Information from NJ TRANSIT:

NJ TRANSIT Employee Reviews

United States312 reviews
Enjoyable co-workers who are responsive to the needs of the commuting public. Great projects to work on - however subject to funding and other associated project risks.
Horrible work environment and very poor management . They make you work on the same thing week after week and the don’t switch the work around they same people work on the same and other people who complain do what ever they want . You cant talk to the foremen because they don’t understand the job that the mechanics are doing because They aren’t mechanics at all . Horrible work environment
Pros
The pay check
Cons
Senior management values their capital equipment more than their employees. Out of the last 10 years, 9 years of those wages were frozen. Employee morale is in the toilet, and people walk around with a dead fish eye look. People routinely steal food from the cafeteria like it was high school. Wages average 25 to 30 percent below market just for base salary alone as a result of the wage freeze. Merit budgets when they have them are not anywhere close to competitive. And finally, the executive floor (known as the 9th floor), continues to be a dumping ground for ineffective senior leaders in other agencies.
Pros
You don't have to work too hard - if you consider that an asset.
Cons
Your work is not valued!
Currently working as electronic technician...... your gonna mop the shop clean and if you dont believe me ask shop foreman before being hired the technology is over 40 years obsolete everything goes by seniority and they dont care what you think or sayand taking vacation forget about it since they only honor employees before with sinco
Pros
Not even pay with what they make you do
Cons
All I can write is this, I enjoyed the jobs I held & enjoyed them I retired after 30 years there. I held a few jobs there. Driver, repair, service, cleaner. Once your in transit you can advance to the top if you want. Jobs are posted all the time.
Share your experience
Let job seekers know what it's like to work at your company.
NJT is a great career choice, respectful coworkers and most of all Boss.. Customer service is sometimes challenging but I wouldn't change it for the world. I love what I do!
You will be a different person after you work here Just watch out for the snakes. It pays decently but the passengers treat you like garbage and they can even assault you and this employer will not safeguard you and back you up.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
You’ll be treated slave to the system will fire you if you mess up or absent.
The job of customer service with in transportation is a challenge everyday. This is very good for operators to use their skills on a consistent basis. One of the most rewarding job in my life. New management lately have not been skillful enough to handle the changes with the company and the customer service. They must reinvest their bus operators back into the company to run a positive and efficient company.
The company has many positions to fit different skill sets and abilities. There is always room for growth and great opportunities for advancement within the company.
Work in a friendly atmosphere where team work is critical. Very connected with a diverse set of departments. Involved in all aspects of planning and coordination. Company is very customer satisfaction oriented.
NJTRANSIT has alot of flexibility when it comes to positions and various locations. Salary is good and plenty of overtime. Great health benefits and longevity.
It's a good job. The hours aren't always the best, but there are plenty of opportunities to move up. Overall, it's a good job to provide for your family.
Pros
Pay, benefits, oppurtunities, if you can make it on this railroad, you can make it on any railroad
Cons
Doesn't pay as much as other railroads, toughest rail line to work on
Used be a family oriented environment, No longer a great place to work. Very male dominated. No raises for middle staff. very political.Not a friendly atmosphere
Pros
education
Cons
money
I love my job,best company to work for,we are like family, good benefits, always learning,overall best company best coworker,loving and very helpful, I Will recommend anybody
Great place to learn and improve on skills. People are very helpful and friendly. Contract assignment, great way to grow and work your way up.
Great flexibility for family life.
it depend on the department of course NJ transit is good place to work in, as i do believe most of the departments has no work pressure as Accounts payable
Not much room for improvement or moving up to better positions but all in all the employees are usually very sweet and nice a good place to start working as a starter job to make some good money. They do tend to ask for a lot for a little bit of reward but if youre just using this job as a stepping stone, i wouldn't have too many complaints.
I was excited once I landed the role. After about 3 weeks I realized what a nightmare I had gotten myself into. The only way you move up is if you kiss up to the managers by making coffee runs to dunking donuts on company time for them. Or if you assist them in doing their job for them by ratting out your co workers. Constant coaching for petty things. When others get no coaching. A bunch of inexperienced 22 year olds with no education are walking around like they own the place I can go on but it's too bad to describe. bunch of 23
I would never dispute NJ Transit has great benefits; however, the culture was terrible. Management made decisions based on who you are connected to rather than the value you could add to the organization. Reactive decisions rather than proactive or well-thought out decisions. One thing you must know before you accept an offer "there is no annual raises and when I left it was 9 years". I left because I needed to make more money and feel a sense of belonging. There are really good employees -- but NJ transit will lose these employees because the culture is very negative, there is no support from leadership and if you don't play the game, you are branded a trouble maker.
Need more people to cover shifts when others are out sic ,family leave and call-offs some of the management have no ideal on how or what's happening on the bus lines only when customer doesn't get there way (free ride, dropped off in a area that's not a bus stop or not allowing the customer to abuse other passengers etc.)
Must of pieces of work area’s are in Newark and out diligently whit different cultures one of hardest parts of the job and must of all safeguard for the commuter
Ask a question about working or interviewing at NJ TRANSIT. Our community is ready to answer.
Diversity score
out of 100
Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP50%
In the Top 50% of similar size companies
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at NJ TRANSIT.