NJ TRANSIT Employee Reviews

Ehh
Cleaner (Current Employee) –  Maplewood, NJFebruary 14, 2019
The job will be what YOU make it!!
Start in one position, if it’s not a good fit then bid for something new. There are lots of options and opportunities. Implement the mindset to GO GET IT!
Pros
Great benefits and weekly pay (union members)
Cons
Hearing the phrase “that’s just the way things are....”
great people who have been screwed
State Legislative Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJJanuary 24, 2019
I loved working at NJT and thought I'd be a lifer. I changed direction in my personal life and wanted to work closer to home while our daughter was young. Looking back on it, the people I worked with at NJT were smart, dedicated and fun. The years of flat salaries and political mishandling that happened to the agency after I left are nothing short of tragic for those good people, and the consequences to operations have been dire.
Pros
An agency created for the common good
Cons
So much promise, so much political malevolence by the Christie administration
Right mindset
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Newark, NJJanuary 11, 2019
The job is what you make it. Patience is needed and a people friendly attitude.Positive thinking. Excellent opportunities for advancement. One of the best choices I've made.
Pros
Weekly pay, oppurtunty forb advancement
Cons
Close scrutiny and high stress
Work long enough to get experience
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJDecember 28, 2018
This public report summarizes the issues with hiring and management. I can verify hiring is very messy and the top-down approach does not work. With experienced individuals leaving and retiring without integrating and training new talent, the future is uncertain for this company.

Pros
Benefits, 9-5 schedule
Cons
Pay, Teamwork, No Growth, Lack of training
Good work start
Motor Coach Operator (Former Employee) –  Fairview, NJDecember 27, 2018
Good start to a great career, It can just take a while for advancement. the pay has since gone up. You start part time so you have to work your way up to full time.
Secure company to work for
Stock Clerk when retired (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJDecember 26, 2018
The company I work for was union so a lot of the last questions things might’ve changed through the contracts since I retired in 2010 With this company I was a cleaner servicemen mechanic As a mechanic I was responsible for repairing buses going on a road for breakdowns towed when buses down back into the garage before going into the stockroom then in the stockroom managed it
Pros
Pass to ride buses the subway the rail for no charge if you are a employee
Cons
Some favoritism in the shop
Busy
CDL Bus Operator (Former Employee) –  Belleville, NJDecember 23, 2018
Very fast paced and competitive constant schedule change and in snow storms its a bit stressful. Driver has to be tolerant of rude passengers but at least he law protects the driver
Good job
Starter (Current Employee) –  New York StateDecember 20, 2018
I like working with NJ Transit because Job security and flexibility of hours and great benefits and pleasent co workers and management great retirement package
A great job to work at.
Bus operator (Former Employee) –  Turnersville, NJDecember 17, 2018
I would recommend anyone to work at transit. It's a great place to work the employers are very fair to all employees. Transit is a place that you would definitely prosper from.
Average
safely operating a motor coach (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJDecember 17, 2018
Average work environment, should provide more advancement opportunities for those seeking other positions within the company. Can be stressful at times.
Pros
Pension Plan
Cons
Health Risks
Excellent
Human Resource Outreach Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Maplewood, NJDecember 3, 2018
Great benefits. Wonderful place to work and great team of individuals. Lots of opportunity and EEO workplace. Near everything and they have their own cafeteria.
good place to work
BUS OPERATOR (Current Employee) –  Egg Harbor Township, NJNovember 30, 2018
go in pre trip bus make sure i have all my paper work needed head to my start destination complete my trips safely and ad the end turn in money and go home
Pros
good benefits
Transit Bus Operator (Former Employee) –  Maplewood, NJNovember 29, 2018
Great place to work, had a lot of customers to deal with some good and bad, had to communicate very well with your customers and knowledge with your route and co-workers
Pros
Fun place to work and interact with customers
Cons
Traffic
No time for home life scheduling
Provisional FT Bus Operator (Current Employee) –  Maplewood, NJNovember 14, 2018
You may be scheduled to start at one time & find out you'll be starting later. You may find out you have a 30 minute unpaid break between shifts or it could be 5 hours between shifts. You may find out that in between shifts, you're now forced to work. So, the point is, a bus operator cannot make plans outside of work hours because there are no set work hours.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
lousy work hours & work conditions
The Way To Go
Bus Operator (Former Employee) –  EHTNovember 13, 2018
I worked for this growing company for over 12 years and it was one the best decision I ever chose to make. Go NJTransit changing lives one day at a time
Live comfortably
Bus Repairperson A (Current Employee) –  Jersey City, NJNovember 5, 2018
the most important attribute to have is showing up for work on time. the work day pretty much takes care of itself as long as you are present. never exposed to overtly back breaking work. show up, do your job, go home. pay is ALWAYS on time.
Pros
guaranteed pay EVERY WEEK
Cons
some management
productive and fun place to work at as lone as you get the work done
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJOctober 26, 2018
a typical day at work was a good at time there would be some hard work but I got though it on time.
what I learned is I can work hard and fast the most enjoyable part of the job is that I can get the work done on time and that a plus for me .
management was good and fair workplace culture was very fair .
Pros
fast pace work place
Cons
you have to know what your doing to get the work done.
Open Minded with Future Goals
Customer Care Clinical Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Maplewood, NJOctober 19, 2018
Hello, in a brief summary I can say I enjoyed the staff, hours, and assistance within the department I worked for (Medical Services) at NJTRANSIT in Maplewood.

However, being a new worker coming into a department was very stressful in which the department had a very tense time during this period, where a few employees (resigned, quit, and, retired). My Supervisor was very unfair towards me in a way that was highly uncalled for and I have complained about to appropreiate management.

Regardless, as the individual I am I haven't allowed such to deter me from my the joy and welcome feeling I was given from other employess within NJTRANSIT. Which is way I am continuosly looking to become apart of the TRANSIT TEAM.
11 years without a raise, over worked and underpaid
Supervisor/Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJ 07105October 10, 2018
The culture at New Jersey Transit does not allow advancement for current employees. The company rather hire from the outside and pay the new comer more money. I never understood that.
Pros
stability and good health benefits with free transportation
Cons
No growth for internal employees
Very Inter Connected
Summer College Intern (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJOctober 9, 2018
The people I worked with were very educated in there fields and were willing to teach me a lot about engineering and more importantly thought me about how to communicate effectively and how to work to achieve a goal for everyone's benefit.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at NJ TRANSIT. Our community is ready to answer.