nLIGHT Employee Reviews

Love this company
ENGINEERING TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, WA 98665May 20, 2019
I recommend a career at nlight. Lots of room to grow and advance for the right person. They look for the right person to do a great job. They are going to make a difference!
Pros
So many
CONTRACT CORPORATE RECRUITER (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, WAFebruary 14, 2019
I enjoyed my time while supporting the HR department @ nLIGHT. Positive culture, clean and organized work environment, work/life balance, growth opportunities.
Poor Leadership
Middle management (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, WAFebruary 14, 2019
Poor communication from management. Very aggressive and unprofessional atmosphere. There was little to no accountability as to how upper management treated the employees.
Pros
Great and hard working hourly staff.
Cons
Very poor upper management
Horrible
Manufacturing Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Hillsboro, ORJuly 27, 2018
Working in the fab was akin to working in a sweatshop. While they did have AC, they never cared to make sure that it worked in all areas of the building. Even if you are in one of the 'good' areas, it's still hot. Management makes it very clear that they do not care about you as long as you meet quota. School yard insults are common. I was even told that i smelt bad! Those comments didn't stop until i mentioned it being harassment, then all of the complaints magically went away. They immediately wrote me up, without a verbal warning, because they were 'in a hurry'. They made me work in the same spot for so long that i developed tennis elbow. They prohibited talking from the workplace, even if the subject was about work, because it was 'too distracting'. Friendships are not allowed. They treat us like absolute children, micromanaging us and forcing us to take break at the same time. One person who applied quit in only one day. What a lucky fellow. Bottom line: do not work here if you value being treated like a human being.
Pros
Paid holidays
Cons
Too many to list.
This company sucks. Managment needs to be inspected
Manufacturing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, WAJune 20, 2018
From the day I first started I never felt apart of the company. They talk a big game about wanting to help you advance, then pit you against your peers. Overtime is mandatory, if you don't show up they'll fire you. You're often working longer hours than initially expected. When you bring up the fact that the environtment is hostile and toxic managment act offended and make life at work harder. If they don't like you, they do everything in there power to get you to quite before finding any reason to fire you. DO NOT WORK HERE.
Buyer/Planner (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, WAApril 3, 2018
It has been a couple years since I have been at nLight, but the time I was there was a mess. As a buyer you had to go through 3 signatures before purchasing something. Seemed unorganized.
good placd and nice and knowledgable poeple
Equipment Engineering Technician (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, WADecember 16, 2017
the people are nice to work for and very helpful, old equipment without a lot of documentation which is sometimes frustrating on a maintenance point of view all in all good place
Pros
good benefits pretty layback but busy
Cons
little under payed to what i am use to
Not a good place to work
Manufacturing Operator (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, WAOctober 9, 2017
Before you can even start work, you have to put on bunny suits and work in them all day. Each shift is 12 hours long. After almost 1 year of employment i received a $0.13 raise. Would never work there again.
Okay company, management needs work
Operator (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, WAApril 28, 2017
There's no consistancy through out the year. You'll be super busy for summer and then slow for winter. The supervisors do what they can, but at the end of the day, it's their job on the line. Not a lot of room for advancement, they prefer to higher people from the outside, then to promote their own people who have worked there for years. Overall an okay job if you're not supporting a family and living with roommates.
Pros
working with lasers
Cons
management, pay
Heres my review
Laster Tech (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, WANovember 8, 2016
If your looking to expand and grow and move on up probably not the place to be. There is a lot of potential but not much at its current state. I would recommend not here
opportuninty
Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, WAAugust 7, 2016
I have been given many opportunities at nLIGHT. as I might not agree with everything that goes on there, I do know that there are people trying to make it better.
Great group to work with
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, WAJuly 5, 2016
Everyone was very kind and I really enjoyed my time at nLIGHT. There was a lot to learn and the management was very supportive and provided time to learn at my own pace.
Ok pace to work, great if your contracted out in the field
Operations Technician (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, WAFebruary 2, 2016
Designed controls for various processes, using CADEWS and Autocad. Worked with various crafts to install, test and implement large scale processes. A great place to work for people who need little or no guidance.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
A lot of egos. None good
Productive environment and outgoing coworkers
Manufacturing Operator I (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, WADecember 16, 2015
A typical work day at nLIGHT Photonics consists of multiple processes required to produce high powered semiconductor lasers. I have learned what is necessary and how much team effort it takes to create such an amazing final product. The management at nLIGHT is fantastic. The managers always care for the needs of the entire teem and always make sure those needs are met. My coworkers are very outgoing, productive, and will not hesitate to help somebody or learn something new. The hardest part about this job is working 12 hour shifts in the same environment every day, but we have four 15 minute breaks and a half an hour lunch as well as three and four day weekends.
Pros
Great break room, free coffee, ability to order lunch, great people, long weekends, and great benefits.
Cons
12 hour shifts and same work environment every day
I Love my job
Receiving Clerk (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, WADecember 16, 2015
nLight is a great place to work. Great benefits from the day you start.
Everyone there is awesome. This is a job that you love to wake up to.
amazing workplace with amazing people
Technician II (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, WAApril 23, 2015
at nlight I started testing single emitter lasers then moved onto packaging these semi-conductor lasers into more powerful applications.
I learned how to use computer programs like excel, word, labview, and became well versed in 5S and six sigma.
fast passed company that was well organized.
co-workers were fantastic, always having out of work get togethers. very close knit.
I am an outdoors, labor type of person and it was hard for me to sit in a cleanroom and not seeing the daylight all day. I was young and restless. I enjoyed the way the company valued its people.
Pros
great people
Privately Held - growth challenges
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, WADecember 29, 2014
Privately held - growth challenges. The leadership was centric to the Vancouver office, yet was challenged to manage multiple sites in multiple countries.

The staff were well educated and knowledgeable about the technology and packaging applications.
Pros
Good staff
Cons
disjointed leadership
Productive Fun Workplace with Ping Pong Table
Manufacturing/Process Engineer (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, WAJuly 30, 2014
Fun and productive with great management and a great team, although sometimes not challenging enough. The people are enjoyable, though.
Something new to learn everyday.
Sr. Test Engineering Technician (Current Employee) –  Hillsboro, ORMay 24, 2014
nLight is a private company that leads the world market in optical laser systems, fiber, equipment and parts for multiple industries.

On a normal day I walk my product lines to ensure equipment is operational. If problems occur, I assess the situation, diagnose, repair, determine root cause and provide continuous improvements solutions to prevent line down situations.

Perform Internal/external calibrations preventative maintenance on laser optical measurement equipment. Work on projects that involve multiple team members from different departments to achieve goals that exceed customer satisfaction.

Develop/update and upgrade new test stations. Document ongoing work and report metrics to management teams.

The people at nLight are my family and are great to work with everyday. We are all educated professionals with specialized talents and unique abilities in the laser optical fields. We rely on each other and really have good times reaching our milestones.
Great place to work for
Operator 2 (Former Employee) –  Hillsboro, OROctober 18, 2013
Fun and productive
How a defiberlater works
Great management
Great team
not challenging enough
the people

Ask a question about working or interviewing at nLIGHT. Our community is ready to answer.

nLIGHT Reviews by Location