NLMK USA

NLMK USA Employee Reviews

United States51 reviews
Great opportunity for college students
This summer job is great for college students who receive the summer off. They offer flexible hours but also give you at least 40 hrs per week by default.
Last resort job option
no work life balance, terrible pay to start in a dangerous environment. high turnover. wont make more than $20 hr unless you are there for at least four years. work 6 to 7 days a week. culture is like if you were back in high school. spent 90 days there one summer. worst summer of my life. complete remedial tasks all day, everyday. plenty of other jobs out there that pay better.
pay was good benefits were also good terrible Union
Hot / cold environments management sucks. Coworkers were helpful. Management sponsored great outings, but schedules left no family time. The Union Contract was written by management and with no active representatives needed because only one sided. Pay was good with great health care. Just could not get sick take day off because of being understaffed. and dem
Dead in job
Dead end job.. takes about 30 years to make a good wage if you dont want to work 16 hour shifts 7 days a week .. hr is a joke clueless . Decent job for young kids that live at home with mom and dad but unless you live in this place you wont make enough to save money.. when you start here you'll be a slave labor boy for life there is no moving up pal.. glad I left this dump
No home life
No home life work work work barely no days off and work 12 hours per day. Supervisors are just babysitting there sense its union waste of company money for them to be there because all the do is sit in a office and watch cameras
Care to share?
Help people considering your employer. Share your experience.
Terrible place to work!!!
Scheduling is terrible we're on our 5 schedual in 6 months. As much as they preach work/life balance it doesn't exist. You never know what you're working untill Thursday the week befor, that's if the schedual is released on time. Point system is in place and they love letting people go because of it. Incentive program is a joke, lucky to hit$1.50. No family/company events.
Management doeas not care about employees
Upper management ( president) director of operations and HR. Are all cutthroat and show no compassion for middle management and hourly workers
We are just a number to them
Training and safety are high on their list
Safety is one of their number 1 concerns, overtime is available almost all the time. Wages are ok the work for the most part is good. The experience overall is good
Good Place for Internship
I was assigned projects involving .NET applications and querying sql databases. I had a great deal of autonomy and was left to my own devices with projects that were assigned to me, while also having a support system to seek help on projects that I was working on. I learned a great deal at this internship.
Current upper management will ruin and run this company into the ground.
As a employee you should not watch you're supervisor walk around every shift afraid of losing their job. With that said everything rolls down hill, their boss can't do their job and pawns it off on their lower men and so fourth. Finally it trickles down to down time and machinery broken. But instead of first finding a solution management is to worried about pointing the finger to blame someone else. Management needs to be reevaluated big time... Until then I would not recommend them.
October 22, 2019
We are sorry that you have had an issue and would appreciate if you would reach out to discuss further in person. We pride ourselves in our family driven atmosphere and are always working to develop people as well as to improve our processes and results.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at NLMK USA?
Try to get in other mills first
Favoritism and nepotism is out of control. Racism is unchecked. Your treated like a lazy slave. Union is garbage and the stewards only want to be managers. You have no friends here. If you have to be here the melt shop is the place to be. Try to avoid the roll mill if you can.
October 5, 2019
We strongly disagree with this description of the work environment at NLMK USA. We place the utmost importance on providing equal opportunities to all employees (which is one of our values) and strive to foster the team spirit. We take the issues mentioned very seriously. No such concerns were submitted through our anonymous ethics hotline that is available to all employees.
I highly recommend NLMK
NLMK is a Very good place to work and is the best job I've ever had and would recommend it to anyone wanting to make a better life for themselves and their family
Pros
Benefits, pay, advancement oppurtunity
Really cool place to work, great training, excellent benefits and very friendly staff. Management work closely with staff to make sure everyone understands their job. Union representatives are always on staff ready to help with any questions that may come up.
I've been there for 26 going on 27 years and i have no regrets.
Now its getting to stressful, because of the micro maniging thats going on. And how they disrespect and belittle you as they talk to you.
Pros
Cons
Poor incentive
October 22, 2019
We enjoy hearing from our long service employees as we pride ourselves in keeping good people. Your additional comments are something we would like to discuss further, please reach out to your local HR department.
Decent place to work
Great people to work with and challenging work. Compensation is decent but work can be stressful at times and expected to work 8-5 without any flexibility. Would like a more flexible work schedule to help with work/life balance.
Fair
A fair work place. Money and benefits are great, but you will have no family time or time for yourself. I usually work 130-140 hours every 2 weeks with 1-2 days off a week and you get 1 weekend off a month. It is a great job,but the hours are pretty rough.
Job Summary
Typical day consisted of having at least three to four contractors visit the plant to bid on potential jobs. Constantly trying to find the best contractor for the best price available.
Pros
Great Salary
Cons
Too volatile steel market
July 8, 2019
Thank you for acknowledging our compensation package! We agree, the steel industry is cyclical. That’s why reducing cost by increasing our operational efficiency is one of our strategic objectives. It makes us less dependent on the variability of the steel industry and, therefore, more competitive.
High paced, average 70 hour work weeks. 7 days a week as well. No weekends off. But I you like money, you can make plenty of it.
It’s decent pay, not much of a life though. As it stands the benefits are great! But they’re trying to make them not so great. It’s a two tier system so the new work force coming in is mediocre at best. Basically they will hire anyone if you can pass a drug test. The probation period is a joke these days. New hires basically do what they want.
Pros
Decent money and benefits.
Cons
A lot of things. Too many to mention.
January 28, 2019
We agree that we offer great pay and benefits. Recently, we have been very busy as the steel industry is in high demand. It is true that our new employees do come in under a developmental wage rate however, this is only for the first few years while they learn the industry. Many of our employees stay with us for a very long time and like the family atmosphere we have created.
Good job
Good job, fortunate enough to work for a good foreman and with a good crew. Plenty of overtime opportunities and a strong union. Work environment was also about as safe as one could hope for working in a steel mill.
Pros
Overtime oppurtunities, and benefits
Cons
Swing shift
Fun laid back
Was a great place to work and grow and learn the safety trade.Drove around responded to medical emergencies and any accidents or troubles that would occur within the plant.
Uncomfortable culture
The office environmental felt like a sweat shop. Family/life balance was not good. No employee recognition. No teamwork between departments. Not enough employees to handle the workload.
Pros
Decent pay and benefits
Cons
Uncomfortable culture. The office was like a sweat shop.
December 7, 2018
Respectfully, we disagree, and there are many employees who feel that we have a family atmosphere. That being said, we will be launching a better employee recognition system in 2019. Naturally, we understand the desire to have more people, however, we believe that we have the right balance in place.