NLMK USA Employee Reviews

Fun laid back
Safety Officer Duties (Former Employee) –  Portage, INJanuary 2, 2019
Was a great place to work and grow and learn the safety trade.Drove around responded to medical emergencies and any accidents or troubles that would occur within the plant.
Uncomfortable culture
Office employee (Former Employee) –  Farrell, PADecember 4, 2018
The office environmental felt like a sweat shop. Family/life balance was not good. No employee recognition. No teamwork between departments. Not enough employees to handle the workload.
Pros
Decent pay and benefits
Cons
Uncomfortable culture. The office was like a sweat shop.
December 7, 2018

Respectfully, we disagree, and there are many employees who feel that we have a family atmosphere. That being said, we will be launching a better employee recognition system in 2019. Naturally, we understand the desire to have more people, however, we believe that we have the right balance in place.

Great people, great place
Laborer/Banding (Former Employee) –  Portage, INNovember 18, 2018
Great place to work, pay is amazing and so are benefits. You will for sure work your butt off but it will be worth it on pay day. Growth is also always an option.
Pros
Paid breaks, pay is good, management is good
Cons
Good paying job but cut throat
Entry Level (Former Employee) –  Farrell, PAOctober 30, 2018
Great paying job but you dont know if one little mistake nin your 90 days will cost you a job.if they guaranteed that it would take a really big mistake for you to get fired then more people would ask for better training.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Nothing secure
November 2, 2018

We agree, we offer good jobs with competitive compensation and benefits. We have been improving our training processes in orientation as well as our on-the-job training. Additionally, our management team has been driving a safety focused culture. Sometimes, the heavy manufacturing environment may not be the best fit.

Upper management is a total joke.
N/A (Former Employee) –  Portage, INAugust 28, 2018
Great group of guys I used to work with but the micro management became to much for me. The incentive program was awful compared to other mills in the area. While other mills in the area were striving due to tariffs this praticular mill was threatening to close its doors.
Pros
Insurance, coworkers
Cons
Upper management, incentive, job security
September 19, 2018

We are sorry you had a bad experience. We agree that we have a great group of individuals working at NLMK Indiana. However, we disagree that our incentive plan is awful – it has been paying out consistently.

good
Operator (Former Employee) –  Farrell, PAMay 12, 2018
very good and safe place to work . grate people to work with ........................treated you very good and all people wore treaded equal ................if I could go back I would ..
Great summer job
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Farrell, PAMarch 21, 2018
great pay for a summer job. great people to work with. they all treated me good. only thing the sucked was coming in 30 min early to relieve the person working your job.
doesn't care about your family or life, good pay, benefits
nice try (Current Employee) –  PAMarch 13, 2018
works you 7 days a week, 12 hours a day + intermittent forced doubles for months and months, doesn't care if you have kids or family to attend to.. no sick days. pay and benefits are good.
Pros
pay, benefits are good
Cons
overwork, mangement, no life, no time for family, don't care
March 21, 2018

Thank you for your comment on our compensation package. We believe we do provide good pay and benefits.

When the market is strong, we work a lot of shifts to take advantage of it. In addition, we have been hiring new employees. Therefore, some of the added hours are expected to come down once all new employees become trained and qualified.

Successful, productive, growing manufacturing company.
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Farrell, PAMarch 2, 2018
I feel NLMK USA is a sound company with a bright future. I am happy with my decision to join this company. Our upper management team is qualified and dedicated to the growth and development of our company. No matter what role you fill, everyone works diligently to the success of our company and our future.
Pros
Benefits, growth, community commitment, highly driven team
Good work environment
Office Employee (Current Employee) –  PennsylvaniaFebruary 7, 2018
At NLMK, I have an opportunity to contribute in multiple areas, establish and implement processes and develop professionally. I have learned a lot since I started here. The work environment is very fast-paced but relaxed, and co-workers are friendly and easy to work with.
Pros
simple corporate structure
Cons
sometimes the amount of work can be hard to manage
Meh
Senior Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Portage, INJanuary 16, 2018
Paid well enough, but after being repeatedly passed over for a promotion and having to wait nine years for a third week of vacation I should have gotten after five, there was no way I was going to stick around.
Pros
Pros? HAHAHA... uh, being left alone on night shift, I guess?
Cons
Too many to mention
January 17, 2018

We agree that our compensation is very competitive. Regarding promotions, we can say that we are always looking for internal candidates who are ready to take on new roles as they become available. In this particular case, the length of vacation is related to the fact that the lab became unionized, and seniority restarted.

ok
Assistant Operator/ Clerk (Current Employee) –  Farrell, PAJanuary 9, 2018
its an ok job if you have no family. you have to wait three years until your local rate. its a great job for younger generation with no family. great job.
Pros
med, den, paid vacations
Cons
6-7 day, doubles.
January 17, 2018

Thank you very much for your comments. We do believe that we provide a very good benefits package for our employees that include medical, dental and paid vacations to name a few. We also believe that we offer good jobs and good wages. However, there is a progressive wage scale which shows a three-year development. Additionally, when the market is strong, it does require that we work more than 5 days a week, sometimes 6 or even 7 days a week, which depends on a particular unit. We also strive to find a work-life balance and have been actively hiring to help create this balance.

Do not work here as an instrument tech
Facilities Instrument Technician (Former Employee) –  Farrell, PADecember 29, 2017
Very poor management. No direction by management. Poor wage considering you are the only one covering the whole mill. Most the time doing other work besides being a tech. Again do not work here if you are a tech. Turned a two weeks notice in and terminated without warning. Company preaches professionalism but management lacks it themselves.
Pros
None in regards to this position
Cons
Everyhting
January 17, 2018

We are sad to hear that you feel we have poor management. In this particular case, when the employee turned in his notice at the end of the year and indicated that he was looking for his next year’s vacation to be paid out, we believe it was taking advantage of the situation. As management, we determined the best outcome for the organization.

Safety
Full Electrician/Off Shift Instrumentation Tech (Former Employee) –  Portage, INDecember 28, 2017
They have a reputation for poor safety in the Melt Shop and will blame the employee by taking a situation responsibility of do it or your fired. If a person stands up or is unsafe they are harassed or forced out in the melt shop.
January 17, 2018

Our safety results in Portage, Indiana have improved over the years, and we believe that we have the right elements of the safety program in place. We do ask employees to do things the right way. If an employee does not follow proper procedures, we address it. We do not believe anyone is being harassed or forced out of the melt shop. If employees have safety concerns, we have multiple channels to raise these types of concerns.

good people poor management
sample station operator (Current Employee) –  Portage, INOctober 3, 2017
management is awful, If it weren't for the union they would work everyone 16 hrs per day 7 days a week with no breaks. Safety is not a number one priority.
Pros
insurance
Cons
long hours, low morale
October 11, 2017

We are sorry you feel that way. The steel industry is subject to market fluctuations. This year the market has been fairly strong so far, which means a lot of overtime for NLMK employees. We know that in busy times some people enjoy the extra work hours and some don’t. As a business, we are working to strike a balance but we understand that every potential solution doesn’t fit everyone.

Safety is our top priority. We have been continuously working on developing the culture of safety and have made significant progress over the years. It is also our belief that this cultural change takes time and each employee is part of this change.

Good environment
Inspector/Machine Operator/coil loader/ bander/ (Former Employee) –  Farrell, PASeptember 2, 2017
Let the hourly guys make the decisions and listen to there input worry more about quality than quantity but all and all it's a great place to retire.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Work overload
Good pay, good people to work with.
Electrican (Former Employee) –  Portage, INAugust 24, 2017
It's a steel mill. Very hot, dirty, noisy. Strenuous climbing 8 flights of stairs to repair the cranes. Not for the faint hearted. Being skilled trades we did get more relax time than production.
Pros
Union, good pay, good benifits, good people.
Cons
Hot, dirty, noisy, stressful, dangerous.
Management in constant flux
Administrative (Former Employee) –  Farrell, PAApril 11, 2017
Management and procedures are constantly changing under the pretense of continuing improvement, however, none of the sweeping changes seem to find concrete fruition leading to a frustrating environment with very little room for a sense of personal accomplishment. Often unpleasant work environment with very little cooperation between employees and departments.
Pros
Decent compensation and benefits package
Cons
Unpleasant work environment
May 24, 2017

Thank you for your input as we always appreciate feedback on how we are progressing. We need to understand that change is hard, and results are rarely immediate. We are striving to consistently improve our systems and methods and sometimes goals, objectives and results are not communicated enough. At NLMK USA we recognize that a process of continuous improvement is itself a process open to continuous improvement. Whatever the specifics of your situation are, we are sorry that a better job wasn’t done.

We can only say that NLMK USA is addressing the issues you raised. We continually ask ourselves how can we do a better job of communicating our objectives and results. Your comments are an important data point and are incorporated into the process.

Productive, enjoyable place, fast pace
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Farrell, PAMarch 1, 2017
I love the concept of helping people to accomplish even the minor things that are needed to be done. I enjoy my coworkers. The environment is comfortable and we work together as a true team.
Pros
Great working relationship
Management is misguided
General Manager Corporate Technical Services (Current Employee) –  Farrell, PANovember 21, 2016
The workforce is superb. There are so many great people that have dedicated their lives to this company. Years of service and dedication do not seem to mean much to the management.
May 24, 2017

We completely agree that we have a great workforce and we consider it to be one of our competitive advantages. Having said that, tenure is absolutely important to us as well as dedication, integrity, performance and initiative. Some managers might put more emphasis on one or more of these qualities, depending on the position. We can say that NLMK USA is committed to recruiting, retaining and developing dedicated, proven performers.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at NLMK USA. Our community is ready to answer.

NLMK USA Reviews by Location