NLMK USA

NLMK USA Pay & Benefits reviews

United States51 reviews
This summer job is great for college students who receive the summer off. They offer flexible hours but also give you at least 40 hrs per week by default.
Safety is one of their number 1 concerns, overtime is available almost all the time. Wages are ok the work for the most part is good. The experience overall is good
NLMK is a Very good place to work and is the best job I've ever had and would recommend it to anyone wanting to make a better life for themselves and their family
Pros
Benefits, pay, advancement oppurtunity
Really cool place to work, great training, excellent benefits and very friendly staff. Management work closely with staff to make sure everyone understands their job. Union representatives are always on staff ready to help with any questions that may come up.
Great people to work with and challenging work. Compensation is decent but work can be stressful at times and expected to work 8-5 without any flexibility. Would like a more flexible work schedule to help with work/life balance.
Leave a review. Help people like you.
A fair work place. Money and benefits are great, but you will have no family time or time for yourself. I usually work 130-140 hours every 2 weeks with 1-2 days off a week and you get 1 weekend off a month. It is a great job,but the hours are pretty rough.
Typical day consisted of having at least three to four contractors visit the plant to bid on potential jobs. Constantly trying to find the best contractor for the best price available.
Pros
Great Salary
Cons
Too volatile steel market
July 8, 2019
Thank you for acknowledging our compensation package! We agree, the steel industry is cyclical. That’s why reducing cost by increasing our operational efficiency is one of our strategic objectives. It makes us less dependent on the variability of the steel industry and, therefore, more competitive.
It’s decent pay, not much of a life though. As it stands the benefits are great! But they’re trying to make them not so great. It’s a two tier system so the new work force coming in is mediocre at best. Basically they will hire anyone if you can pass a drug test. The probation period is a joke these days. New hires basically do what they want.
Pros
Decent money and benefits.
Cons
A lot of things. Too many to mention.
January 28, 2019
We agree that we offer great pay and benefits. Recently, we have been very busy as the steel industry is in high demand. It is true that our new employees do come in under a developmental wage rate however, this is only for the first few years while they learn the industry. Many of our employees stay with us for a very long time and like the family atmosphere we have created.
Good job, fortunate enough to work for a good foreman and with a good crew. Plenty of overtime opportunities and a strong union. Work environment was also about as safe as one could hope for working in a steel mill.
Pros
Overtime oppurtunities, and benefits
Cons
Swing shift
The office environmental felt like a sweat shop. Family/life balance was not good. No employee recognition. No teamwork between departments. Not enough employees to handle the workload.
Pros
Decent pay and benefits
Cons
Uncomfortable culture. The office was like a sweat shop.
December 7, 2018
Respectfully, we disagree, and there are many employees who feel that we have a family atmosphere. That being said, we will be launching a better employee recognition system in 2019. Naturally, we understand the desire to have more people, however, we believe that we have the right balance in place.
Great place to work, pay is amazing and so are benefits. You will for sure work your butt off but it will be worth it on pay day. Growth is also always an option.
Pros
Paid breaks, pay is good, management is good
Cons
Great paying job but you dont know if one little mistake nin your 90 days will cost you a job.if they guaranteed that it would take a really big mistake for you to get fired then more people would ask for better training.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Nothing secure
November 2, 2018
We agree, we offer good jobs with competitive compensation and benefits. We have been improving our training processes in orientation as well as our on-the-job training. Additionally, our management team has been driving a safety focused culture. Sometimes, the heavy manufacturing environment may not be the best fit.
works you 7 days a week, 12 hours a day + intermittent forced doubles for months and months, doesn't care if you have kids or family to attend to.. no sick days. pay and benefits are good.
Pros
pay, benefits are good
Cons
overwork, mangement, no life, no time for family, don't care
March 21, 2018
Thank you for your comment on our compensation package. We believe we do provide good pay and benefits.

When the market is strong, we work a lot of shifts to take advantage of it. In addition, we have been hiring new employees. Therefore, some of the added hours are expected to come down once all new employees become trained and qualified.
I feel NLMK USA is a sound company with a bright future. I am happy with my decision to join this company. Our upper management team is qualified and dedicated to the growth and development of our company. No matter what role you fill, everyone works diligently to the success of our company and our future.
Pros
Benefits, growth, community commitment, highly driven team
its an ok job if you have no family. you have to wait three years until your local rate. its a great job for younger generation with no family. great job.
Pros
med, den, paid vacations
Cons
6-7 day, doubles.
January 17, 2018
Thank you very much for your comments. We do believe that we provide a very good benefits package for our employees that include medical, dental and paid vacations to name a few. We also believe that we offer good jobs and good wages. However, there is a progressive wage scale which shows a three-year development. Additionally, when the market is strong, it does require that we work more than 5 days a week, sometimes 6 or even 7 days a week, which depends on a particular unit. We also strive to find a work-life balance and have been actively hiring to help create this balance.
management is awful, If it weren't for the union they would work everyone 16 hrs per day 7 days a week with no breaks. Safety is not a number one priority.
Pros
insurance
Cons
long hours, low morale
October 11, 2017
We are sorry you feel that way. The steel industry is subject to market fluctuations. This year the market has been fairly strong so far, which means a lot of overtime for NLMK employees. We know that in busy times some people enjoy the extra work hours and some don’t. As a business, we are working to strike a balance but we understand that every potential solution doesn’t fit everyone.

Safety is our top priority. We have been continuously working on developing the culture of safety and have made significant progress over the years. It is also our belief that this cultural change takes time and each employee is part of this change.
It's a steel mill. Very hot, dirty, noisy. Strenuous climbing 8 flights of stairs to repair the cranes. Not for the faint hearted. Being skilled trades we did get more relax time than production.
Pros
Union, good pay, good benifits, good people.
Cons
Hot, dirty, noisy, stressful, dangerous.
Management and procedures are constantly changing under the pretense of continuing improvement, however, none of the sweeping changes seem to find concrete fruition leading to a frustrating environment with very little room for a sense of personal accomplishment. Often unpleasant work environment with very little cooperation between employees and departments.
Pros
Decent compensation and benefits package
Cons
Unpleasant work environment
May 24, 2017
Thank you for your input as we always appreciate feedback on how we are progressing. We need to understand that change is hard, and results are rarely immediate. We are striving to consistently improve our systems and methods and sometimes goals, objectives and results are not communicated enough. At NLMK USA we recognize that a process of continuous improvement is itself a process open to continuous improvement. Whatever the specifics of your situation are, we are sorry that a better job wasn’t done.

We can only say that NLMK USA is addressing the issues you raised. We continually ask ourselves how can we do a better job of communicating our objectives and results. Your comments are an important data point and are incorporated into the process.
A challenging work environment in harsh conditions. The safety program is making strides under new management to progress however is still very behind competitors. Poor company management has resulted in loss of cliental and potential customers causing frequent lay offs. Front line supervisors are knowledgeable and hard working. Crews work together well to get through the daily stresses of archaic machines and practices.
Pros
Great compensation
Cons
Poor safety
September 7, 2017
The steel industry contains challenging work environments. However, safety is always our highest priority, and we agree that we have made many strides in that area. Like with any other culture change, time is definitely a factor. It is NLMK USA’s belief that a true and lasting culture change is dependent upon change happening with employees and not to them. It is this belief that created internal programs to bring in industry recognized safety professionals to help our team develop –train-the-trainer programs, that led us to invite retired OSHA officials in to help us build a sound safety program, and to explore alternative ways to empower our team.

The steel industry is subject to the ups and downs of the business cycle as any capital-intensive industry. Unfortunately, it includes occasional layoffs if the market declines. However, we seek to minimize such disruptions.

Thank you for acknowledging the professionalism of our front line supervisors. They are the ones who are making sure that things are running efficiently.
pay is good, hot in summer and cold in winter, need to have a better incentive program in place, you work hard for your incentive to be cut for every little down time or resin to find to lower it
May 24, 2017
We are glad to hear that our compensation package is competitive. We do a lot of market research and benchmarking studies to remain competitive.

As a steel manufacturing facility, we are exposed to the elements outside as material frequently moves in and out of our buildings. Therefore, the summer heat and winter cold will impact the work environment.

Our incentive plan is a variable pay for performance based compensation system like many others in the steel industry. As results climb, it is reflected in the incentive payout just as problems in the operation will decrease the payout. Overall, the Indiana has had many months of payment due to how well this incentive payment works.
Processing coils in a timely, safe and productive manner. Benefits are good. Knowledgable management.